Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2014 5:58:09 AM EDT
What is the procedure for adjusting a PVS-7 Collimator? I received a housing that my eyes are take a few seconds to adjust to. I'm guessing it is because the Collimator is slightly out of adjustment. When I remove the device, my eyes have to readjust to the normal environment. The device works perfectly fine, but my eyes need a few seconds to adjust. I've asked someone else to try the housing, and they reported the same issue.

Is there any easy way for a DIY home user to adjust these, or does it have to be done in a factory, and if so - what does that generally run $?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:47:46 AM EDT
[#1]
You can do it yourself but it requires taking the tube out and some skill. Do a Google search for the PVS-7 technical manual. It is free to download at many places. It explains the complete process and will save me lots of typing. Not very hard to do if you have the setup and skills. If not send it to Ed Wilcox and pay him to do it. I can't imagine it costing over an hour labor at $75 an hour. You also have shipping with insurance both ways. Around $150 total would be my guess.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:57:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you have the rear lens properly focused to your eyes?  Many don't know the rear lens is adjustable.  It is a snug friction fit, so it isn't obvious at first.  But you rotate it to focus.  Try that before messing with the collimator.  Also, make sure it is adjusting when you turn it.  I did have one with a broken adjuster that didn't move the lens when I turned it.  In that case, I had to pull it out and set the focus by pushing it in.

Also, check that the collimator is properly installed.  It is held in place by a small tab which be get rounded if it is disassembled a lot.  It can also 'slip' if you are not careful when installing the tube.  When it slips, it can 'twist' the image very slightly where your eyes can adjust to it.  Make sure when you put it back together that you line up the tab and that it doesn't rotated as you screw on the front lens.

I don't know how to adjust the collimator as I have never needed to do it with the last 3 PVS-7 that I have had.  Even with one chipped and one with missing a lens, they lined up for me.  Which makes me think it is one of the above issues.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunately, it isn't something as simple as the rear lens adjustment. I'll read up on the manual to see how difficult the process is. My eyes adjust to it, so I am guessing it is only slightly out of adjustment. I already have eye dominance issues, so both eyes keep fighting to figure out which is the proper image - eventually they adjust, but I'm just concerned that this might cause eye fatigue during prolonged use. If it looks too difficult, I'll just live with it - like I said, it isn't that bad. If this was my only set of PVS-7's, I might think this was normal.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Is it the A/C model or the B/D model?

B/D - http://hummerhuren.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/pvs-7b-tm-11-5855-262-23p-2.pdf

Regards

David
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Its a pvs-7d. This is actually good, because i love learning how to service my own gear.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm assuming the problem is one eyepiece view sits at a different elevation than the other.

As stated above, remove the objective assembly, the NV assembly, and look into whats left. You will see the collimator mirror that splits the image to the two eyepieces. On mine I can look into collimator and determine the misalignment and tweek it as needed. The alignment tab on the collimator is sometimes worn too narrow for the matching slot in the back half (eyepiece) assembly. Realign as needed, replace the NV module, and screw the objective lense back on while not disturbing the collimator. May take several tries, but you'll get it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#7]
All fixed. Thanks guys. It wasnt completely centered in that notch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top