Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2014 7:41:03 PM EDT
Just like the title says wondering the pros/cons of both or if anybody owns both to compare. The thermal eye x50 runs on AA wich to me is a huge advantage. From what I understand this model is no longer produced? And the company sold to eotech? I've seen some old stock still around wondering what the warranty would be like if the company really did get sold to eotech.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I owned an X50 for about four years, just sold it a couple months ago.  I've also briefly used a PS-24.  I prefer the X50 for a couple reasons.  First, the battery situation you already mentioned.  Second, the refresh rate on the X50 is MUCH, MUCH faster.  The slow refresh rate on the FLIR would get to be irritating IMHO.  To my eye, the X50 image just looked better, but I only briefly used the PS-24 so it could've been the ambient conditions.  I do like the instalert mode on the FLIR though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:39:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you looking at that X50 on eBay? It isn't really an X50, I know because I returned it. Seller originally had it advertised as an X150 (which it isn't). I think it is an X100. Either way, it is definitely a Raytheon built MX-1 (and I believe it has a a 30hz refresh). I made the guy an offer for $1250 and returned it. It works, but there are some scratches on the viewing lens and it caused some pretty bad blooms when looking through the viewing window. I also wanted it for the 1/4-20 threaded hole for a tripod mount (which it didn't have).

I can confirm that the unit works. I was able to look up and down my street, and outside in a wooded environment and I think this unit would serve perfectly for an observation post type device. However, if your intent was use it while walking around - forget it. It freezes the display every 30 seconds for .5 seconds.

For $1250, I'd rather buy another Pinnacle Tube PVS-7.

My gripes:
Image wasn't very clear.
Everything blended together/washed out indoors.
I hid hot/warm items under my car and behind some bushes to see if I could discern shapes - I had trouble. Under my car, the entire underside was glowing.
I tried tracking footsteps, engine bays, cold/hot drinks, etc. I just wasn't overly impressed with this device. I can't speak to the FLIR, but I've read that the Thermal Eye is a pretty decent devise. I was largely unimpressed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you looking at that X50 on eBay? It isn't really an X50, I know because I returned it. Seller originally had it advertised as an X150 (which it isn't). I think it is an X100. Either way, it is definitely a Raytheon built MX-1 (and I believe it has a a 30hz refresh). I made the guy an offer for $1250 and returned it. It works, but there are some scratches on the viewing lens and it caused some pretty bad blooms when looking through the viewing window. I also wanted it for the 1/4-20 threaded hole for a tripod mount (which it didn't have).

I can confirm that the unit works. I was able to look up and down my street, and outside in a wooded environment and I think this unit would serve perfectly for an observation post type device. However, if your intent was use it while walking around - forget it. It freezes the display every 30 seconds for .5 seconds.

For $1250, I'd rather buy another Pinnacle Tube PVS-7.

My gripes:
Image wasn't very clear.
Everything blended together/washed out indoors.
I hid hot/warm items under my car and behind some bushes to see if I could discern shapes - I had trouble. Under my car, the entire underside was glowing.
I tried tracking footsteps, engine bays, cold/hot drinks, etc. I just wasn't overly impressed with this device. I can't speak to the FLIR, but I've read that the Thermal Eye is a pretty decent devise. I was largely unimpressed.
View Quote

I saw that one thanks for the info there's also a new one on there for $1,790
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I dunno... I can't get over the fact that the X50 has a gross pixel count of 8,000 -- where the PS24 has a gross pixel count of 43,200. That's over five times the number of pixels to resolve detail.

That's a non-trivial difference, and no matter how hard you try there's no substitute for resolution!

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I will chime in on this one.  I have owned both, and am selling my x-50 so I can step up to something bigger.
the ps24 is definitely at a loss to the x-50, I don't know why, I suspect its the glass quality and frame rate. the x-50 simply picks up
stuff farther out and more easily ID's it than the ps24.
I would take the x-50 any day, that's just real world use and my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used both and the viewing screen of the x50 is TINY in comparison to the 24.
Like he stated though the refresh rate is better. But the screen is small...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a semi-local buddy with an X50. I'm going to grab it sometime this week and look through both of them myself. I've tinkered with his X50, but it's been a few months, and I definitely was *not* impressed. I'll try to shoot TTL photos through both of the same subject. There's just no way 1/5th of the resolution can compete. I'll need to see that with my own eyes. Refresh is one thing, but image clarity and detection range are another.

I'll get to the bottom of this.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dunno... I can't get over the fact that the X50 has a gross pixel count of 8,000 -- where the PS24 has a gross pixel count of 43,200. That's over five times the number of pixels to resolve detail.

That's a non-trivial difference, and no matter how hard you try there's no substitute for resolution!

View Quote

It is absolutely true there is no substitute for resolution... But when you actually crack down on the numbers the X-50 in an intelligent manner it really isn't that far off from the PS24. The X-50 field of view is less than half of that of the PS24. When you double the dimensions of the width/height of a square or rectangle, you are actually quadrupling the area. In the case of an 11 degree field of view with 100x80 versus a 24 degree field of view with 240x180, the actual pixel per degree of Field of View is not far off.

Now, the PS24 still comes out ahead on resolution, but not as drastically as your statement is suggesting. There are some benefits the X-50 holds over the PS24 such as the ability to take AA batteries, frame rate and a focusable objective lens. The actual Thermal Core itself is also different, and appropriate behaves differently(produces a different picture, sensitivities, etc), and some people like the image it produces and how it contrasts heat. When you begin to account for the pros and cons of both systems relative to your needs, it is entirely possible the X-50 could easily come out ahead as the contender for some people. The people who chose the X-50 over the PS24 didn't make a bad choice or buy an inferior system, same as if someone bought the PS24 over the X-50. They both accomplish what they were made to do - be cheap yet effective thermal solutions.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Delta- Well said.  What do you want, FOV or refresh rate / AA batteries? both produce similar images.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#10]
TheHorta did you ever look at the x50??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top