Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2014 5:55:47 PM EDT
I have an Envis 703 with the broken battery screw piece. I super glued the brass ferrule back in and the setup works fine, but I want to use PVS14 mounts for my head and rifles. Standard J arms seat the optic way too low and rifle mounts are too high.

That said, I have come to understand that I can take my MX 10160 tube out of the envis and install it into a PVS14 housing (I will loose the Gain function, acknowledged). Does anyone know what all parts will transfer from the Envis to a 14? I know I will need a housing, battery housing assembly, what else?

Will the objective or ocular lens fit? I might get new ones anyway due to some scratches. Lock rings? Light pipe?

I asked TNVC on Monday with no response. AB Nightvision has a 2 AA housing, more interested in a single AA housing though.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I got my old envis transferred to a Mongoose housing (like the nvm2aa but with pvs lenses) by http://www.ownnight.com

The envis uses cctv lens threads so if you want to keep the objective lens you have look into the micro housing.
http://www.nvdepot.com/13-mon/nvdmicro.asp
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Figure a pvs14 housing complete will run you about 850, an ABnightvision NVM2AA housing for $650, plus you can sell your parts to offset that cost. or you can use your objective & ocular lenses in a NVDepot micro housing for sightly less, around $400 I think?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Figure a pvs14 housing complete will run you about 850, an ABnightvision NVM2AA housing for $650, plus you can sell your parts to offset that cost. or you can use your objective & ocular lenses in a NVDepot micro housing for sightly less, around $400 I think?
View Quote

dont think the ocular works with the micro. The envis has different threads, believe its the same as the pvs-18 is what i was told.

Im probably wrong though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Will that tube function on 1.5V / single AA or do you need 3V?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have an Envis 703 with the broken battery screw piece. I super glued the brass ferrule back in and the setup works fine, but I want to use PVS14 mounts for my head and rifles. Standard J arms seat the optic way too low and rifle mounts are too high.

That said, I have come to understand that I can take my MX 10160 tube out of the envis and install it into a PVS14 housing (I will loose the Gain function, acknowledged). Does anyone know what all parts will transfer from the Envis to a 14? I know I will need a housing, battery housing assembly, what else?

Will the objective or ocular lens fit? I might get new ones anyway due to some scratches. Lock rings? Light pipe?

I asked TNVC on Monday with no response. AB Nightvision has a 2 AA housing, more interested in a single AA housing though.

Thoughts?
View Quote

Can you post pics of how you fixed or glued the battery compartment on the N703e, please
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:43:59 AM EDT
[#6]

It doesn't look the best, but it's functional. I think the super glue over time has deteriorated the plastic a little bit. I don't tighten the cap down super tight, just enough that the batteries make contact and the thing works. A large reason why I want to PVS14ize this thing.

I do not know if the MX 10160 will work with one AA. The mini housing uses a CR 123 so I would assume not.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#7]
The MX10160 tube will work with a single AA battery like the PVS-14 single AA battery housing.  The MX10160 tube in a PVS-14 housing is a very common configuration.  I have had a few and they work very well.

Nothing but the tube will transfer from an Envis to a PVS-14 housing.  There are a bunch of places that sell PVS-14 housings.  I have pieced a couple together on Ebay for $600 or so, but it took way too much time & effort to do.

If you go to the NV Depot Micro housing, the tube & front lens will transfer over.  The front lens on the Envis is excellent, so that is a good option.  I don't think the housing is water proof, but it will work with the PVS-14 mounts.

The AB Nightvision housing is very nice as well.  I actually prefer it to the PVS-14 housing myself.  They now offer one that takes PVS-14 front lens assembly, which I really like and will be getting for my next project.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s267.photobucket.com/user/Cramerica1/media/IMG_20140418_093556298_zpsb4pnyf3r.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii307/Cramerica1/IMG_20140418_093556298_zpsb4pnyf3r.jpg</a>

It doesn't look the best, but it's functional. I think the super glue over time has deteriorated the plastic a little bit. I don't tighten the cap down super tight, just enough that the batteries make contact and the thing works. A large reason why I want to PVS14ize this thing.

I do not know if the MX 10160 will work with one AA. The mini housing uses a CR 123 so I would assume not.
View Quote

They break there ALL the time. Folks over tighten the battery cap and that is the weak point... Get a Micro housing for my .02. Only parts you need from the Envis are the tube and the front (objective) lens. The rest you can sell.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I had the same problem with my Envis. It was my very first NV unit and I was in the same predicament as you are OP. I went with the Micro housing and it was a fantastic unit. That housing will except the objective lens from your Envis, but you'll need to buy a PVS14 ocular lens and locking ring to complete it. All together I think those three parts cost me around $650 new, but I'd have to find my recipes. If you aren't getting gain out of the deal I'd highly recommend the Micro housing. It's smaller and lighter then a PVS14, and is compatible with common accessories. Plus the Envis objective lense is far superior to the PVS14's IMO.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Envis in a micro housing is where its at!

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:18:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

......Snip....
View Quote

Needs more camo!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/Remman1/IMG_3160_zpsef387254.jpg

View Quote

do you know if the regular c-mount lenses will fit with the bridge?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd imagine so. The bridge attaches to the body not the mount.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks nice !!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Looks nice !!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks nice !!

Thank you!  You did a fantastic job!

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been trying to get ahold of AB Night Vision to buy a 2AA kit for over a week and no response. Anyone know if he is still in business?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Adam is still in business, and pretty busy. I usually have an email response in 24-48 hours from him!
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I emailed him 2 times plus called with a voice mail with no luck so I ended up getting a pvs14 instead.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I emailed him 2 times plus called with a voice mail with no luck so I ended up getting a pvs14 instead.
View Quote

That's a bummer you guys didn't make contact - I will post a picture of the NVM-2aa's to make up for it!

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I saw that Velcro on the lens cap in TNVC's newsletter a while back too. I did it to my .mil one downrange. AB was good about returning emails  a couple weeks ago, I left a message too with no response. Was he at the NRA show?
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is that my envis??

Looks awesome.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:02:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Is that my envis??

Looks awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that my envis??

Looks awesome.

One of them is. lol

Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I got the housing from AB Night Vision today and during a huge rainstorm, installed my tube. It was seriously easy. The hardest part was removing the tube retainer ring in the envis; I used two 1/8" punches in the two small holes and twisted it out while having the battery compartment held lightly in a vise. Popping the tube in the AB housing was a sinch, and everything else went together just fine. I don't know if my optics are all screwed on correctly in relation to focusing or the proper way to do that, but it was good enough to see perfectly in my dark bathroom. More testing later.

Now, what to do with this envis housing and optics that's sitting here collecting dust...............
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 7:37:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I got the housing from AB Night Vision today and during a huge rainstorm, installed my tube. It was seriously easy. The hardest part was removing the tube retainer ring in the envis; I used two 1/8" punches in the two small holes and twisted it out while having the battery compartment held lightly in a vise. Popping the tube in the AB housing was a sinch, and everything else went together just fine. I don't know if my optics are all screwed on correctly in relation to focusing or the proper way to do that, but it was good enough to see perfectly in my dark bathroom. More testing later.

Now, what to do with this envis housing and optics that's sitting here collecting dust...............
View Quote

Nice! But... the images aren't coming up for me.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not much you can screw up. I would venture to say you didn't set the 0 diopter correct but if you have good vision you won't notice. With C mount objective lenses you really can't screw up there. Biggest issue is keeping it clean and dust free. If you managed that you are GTG. The Micro is a very forgiving scope. You really have to try to mess it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top