Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2014 6:50:30 AM EDT
I have a PVS14 from tnvc and came with their  TM14 Weapon Mount,  I have the pistol IR laser attached to a carbine but want the option for direct mounting the intensifier,  my optic is the aimpoint pro,  there isn't enough room behind the aimpoint for the tube,  so I'm looking at cantilever mounts.   I know I should get the larue,  but having a baby in a month and can't spend more than say $60,  so I'm looking at a vortex and a TMS,  (I know)   my question is how high should the cantilever lift the aimpoint,  the vortex doesn't really say,  the TMS says 1 1/2 inches center height,  and the larue is 1.7 above top of rail.  What height should I shoot for?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:01:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Your carbine is flat-top with no front rail? I assume the obvious answer of moving your Aimpoint forward is not an option?

BTW, my (new) favorite way to run the weapon is with the NOD in place of the optic. If you're using an IR laser, the optic is redundant. You look through the NOD as you would any scope, and this lets you easily run a magnifier as well if your targets are at distance -- and it's lighter to boot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:10:39 AM EDT
[#2]
if you don't care about running a rear iron sight, the cheap milspec ones push the nv further back than the larue and other quick connects if I remember correctly, especially if you intend on running a 3x magnifier
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:13:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Want to use it during the day as well,   yes I have an old surefire rail on the front but don't want to mount the aimpoint on that,  like to keep it on the upper.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#4]
would like to keep my back irons
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:29:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Want to use it during the day as well,   yes I have an old surefire rail on the front but don't want to mount the aimpoint on that,  like to keep it on the upper.
View Quote

You should be able to swap day / nigh optics in 30 seconds, and keep your BUIS.

No practical reason to have them both together, if you're running the IR laser.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:33:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The aimpoint pro just has a thumb screw mount,  so It would take a little longer,  and I'm not guaranteed repeatable zero,  (although you could argue it will)   So no one knows the height I need for a cantilever mount?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#7]
been there, done that.
the only way you are going to be able to actually use the gun is if you mount the aim point on the rail.
if your rail sucks, get a free float, it needs to be solid or you are wasting time.

then, you can mount your twist-point mag in front of the rear buis, and be able to clear the pvs14 and usgi 3x behind the aimpoint.
no cant-mount will clear it if you want to stay on the receiver, believe me.

and to top it all off, I find it easier to just put the 3x usgi on your pvs14 while on your HEAD, and use the laser that way.

just try what I am recommending, you already have all that stuff and what you need, just stick that aimpoint on the front rail. (and its the only way to do it)

not mine but you get the idea. the aimpoint 3x mag will still work so far from the red dot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The aimpoint pro just has a thumb screw mount,  so It would take a little longer,  and I'm not guaranteed repeatable zero,  (although you could argue it will)   So no one knows the height I need for a cantilever mount?
View Quote

What happened the last time you tried it?  
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:34:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Well I don't have a 3x on my PVS14,  so the cantilever should work,  I only need like an inch to clear it how it is,  I'm sure a cantilever mount will work.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe it's because I have the KAC BUIS so they're super low profile, but I had no problem mounting the TNVC mount with PVS-14 behind an Comp M4 on the receiver.

Mounting your day optic on the rail is stupid. flex happens. Doubly stupid if you bridge the gap.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Maybe it's because I have the KAC BUIS so they're super low profile, but I had no problem mounting the TNVC mount with PVS-14 behind an Comp M4 on the receiver.

Mounting your day optic on the rail is stupid. flex happens. Doubly stupid if you bridge the gap.
View Quote

Yes,   I just have the MBUS,  there just isn't quite enough room.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#12]
oh, what is the point of using the NVG on gun without a magnifier? just use the IR laser at that point?  Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
oh, what is the point of using the NVG on gun with a magnifier? just use the IR laser at that point?  Am I missing something?
View Quote

I have an IR laser,  but I want to shoot skunks and possums that get in my yard so my dog doesn't get them,  for such a small target,  at lots of different distances,  I want to just use the red dot,  it's a much smaller margin for error than my laser,  which is very hard to sight in.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#14]
ah, small targets.  a better laser would make that easier, but that means more money.  
I do recommend the 3x usgi mag though, you can get them in the EE for around 150 shipped usually.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top