Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2014 2:02:51 PM EDT
i have a scope with a mx 10160 tube, and i can barely see anything through the tube.

the image is really dim, but green. in regular light with the cap off, it looks like it should in darkness.

WTF???
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

i have a scope with a mx 10160 tube, and i can barely see anything through the tube.

the image is really dim, but green. in regular light with the cap off, it looks like it should in darkness.

WTF???
View Quote

Sounds like it's gone to air to me - it might be the PSU, but your description tells me it's more likely to be dying. It will get dimmer and dimmer and stop working altogether.

Sorry about the bad news - you can send it to someone to check ( a few places fix tubes ) but most likely it's time to get a new one.

David.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

WTF???
View Quote

If you want to send it to me or another forum member to try in a different housing, IM or email me (or another volunteer). I'm sure David is right, but at least this would eliminate the very slight possibility it's not tube-related (if that is a possibility).

Either way, it'll confirm the problem, and you'll get your tube back.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:35:35 AM EDT
[#3]
OP can eliminate the housing as a variable by applying 3v across the tubes terminals direct from a cr123.

However that's a test for a totally non responsive unit, it doesn't seem like the on/off switch is a culprit here.

The OP's description seems like the phosphor screen is lighting up but not receiving any intelligible signal from the front end of the tube.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#4]
the tube is very dim. still an image there in good light, but almost nothing in low light.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

the tube is very dim. still an image there in good light, but almost nothing in low light.
View Quote

There are two things that can fail in a tube - the power supply and the vacuum tube itself. If the power supply fails, it's usually fatal. It's not unheard of for it to fail partially - such as losing screen voltage - but it can happen. You can also lose PC voltage. You can also lose MCP voltage.  But these things are very rare - Usually PSU failures are binary - it either works or it doesn't.

However, when the tube fails, it will can do several things... It can burn up (emission point travel ) or get shading or it can shade over the entire tube at once ( often accompanied by severe shading to one side ) - under these circumstances, the tube simply doesn't maintain it's sensitivity anymore. You can take it out in the morning and get a great, albeit faint, image. However under darkness, it exhibits almost no gain. Also, the tube just keeps getting darker over a period of months, until no image is present.

It is this kind of fault I suspect from the OP's description.

More than likely PC poisoning is occuring also, and the tube is effectively beyond repair. If this is the case, then the power supply is salvageable, but that is all.

( though I do mention the PSU is salvageable because even dead tubes have some value on Ebay )

You'd need to take it to an expert to find out for certain, and I'm pretty sure the costs of doing that make the attempt of questionable value...

Regards

David
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#6]
is American Electro Optics a good place to send it?

it is an Elcan weapon sight.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
is American Electro Optics a good place to send it?

it is an Elcan weapon sight.
View Quote

AEO is a decent place to send a broken tube but as David said (and I agree) it is almost certainly beyond economical repair. Sorry....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top