Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2014 3:05:36 PM EDT
after killing 3 snakes in the past week....

those critters dont sleep at night, and they love to come out and play at night in various poisonous forms where I live (rattlers/copperheads)

do you guys wear snake chaps or leggings when you go around adventuring in the night?

it would make a bad night to get tagged by a copperhead walking along a trail.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a concern where I live (NW suburbs of Chicago) but if I did, I would think any additional protection against those fuckers would be a good thing.  Around here, its coyotes and the occasional cougar....but frankly nothing so common that you have to be concerned.

What region are you in?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a concern where I live (NW suburbs of Chicago) but if I did, I would think any additional protection against those fuckers would be a good thing.  Around here, its coyotes and the occasional cougar....but frankly nothing so common that you have to be concerned.

What region are you in?
View Quote

southeastern us

we have yotes and black bears but its very rare to run into them, snakes are another story.

I could literally go out on my property looking for one and find one in 30 minute or less. sitting outside on the deck enjoying the evening yesterday and look on the hill 25 yards to the left and saw one posted up on a birdhouse looking for a meal.

I couldnt count how many ive killed right on my immediate property in the middle of the day cutting grass or just chores around the house. My golden lab has been tagged by a venomous snake at least 3 times.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#3]
30 minutes to find one?  Meh, you're safe.

But seriously, not a bad thought.  I've seen some BIIIIIIG timber rattlers in the last couple of years and the thought of running into one at night gives me the heebie-jeebies.  Not too worried about copperheads (you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one, but they're not nearly as big) or moccasins (probably the most ornery snake on the planet though if you're not around water you're GTG).

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I frequently go out with SkyPup, and I go out on the acreage adjacent to my place and we find them once in a while, and there's really no reason not to have the proper foot/leg wear to deter them.  Better safe than sorry with any outdoor/wildlife excursion...
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish they made some leggings in camo patterns other than hunting stuff.

ied like to have a set in multicam or atacs, unless im missing the boat?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#6]
If it was me and they are around like you describe fuck yes I would be wearing them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#7]
We have timber rattlers and copperheads where I live but they are pretty rare to encounter. I have seen a few copperheads but never stumbled on any timber rattlers yet even though I know they exist where I hunt. They are so rare I don't bother. I do wear decent boots though. In the winter they are hibernating so it really is only a concern (very mild concern) in the summer months. Copperheads are rarely if ever aggressive and if you make enough noise while hiking they are usually long gone before you get close.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I shouldnt have read this.....fuuuuuucccccckkkkkk snakes!

My pvs14 might just be put up until next winter.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought everyone just went out in flip flops and shorts?????????

I am new to the NV forum, and am thinking of getting a good one.

Just need to know what to get
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I only hunt October to end of feb, they are all hibernating.  BUT if there is a snake threat in your area, armor up!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

it will be dark, nobody will be disappointed.

you could over dye them a brown mix to tone them down a bit
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont only go out exclusively at night, I make a trip out of it. hike out about 2-3 in the afternoon during the summer and stay out until a little after midnight.

I was thinking of taking some of that camo spray paint to at least get an OD color since the woods are green here in the summer
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Most, as in all but a few, snakebites happen when young adult males try catching or playing with them. The odds of getting bit minding your bee's is really low. I just take my chances and wear a pair of Lowa's. Then again, I have very little realization of the whole action/consequence thing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Most, as in all but a few, snakebites happen when young adult males try catching or playing with them. The odds of getting bit minding your bee's is really low. I just take my chances and wear a pair of Lowa's.
View Quote

This, of the four people that I know who got bit, three match this description.  Except maybe for the young part
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This, of the four people that I know who got bit, three match this description.  Except maybe for the young part
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Most, as in all but a few, snakebites happen when young adult males try catching or playing with them. The odds of getting bit minding your bee's is really low. I just take my chances and wear a pair of Lowa's.

the few people i know that have been bitten all werent paying attention mostly, and all in the back yard at night grilling or sitting around a fire.

hell ive lived in the woods all my life and ive almost stepped on a copperhead a couple times in broad daylight

once was in the garden while tending my corn and tomato plants. my property is literally eatin up with them.

short story

working under the crawl space of my house (3 feet high) on some plumbing, got things wrapped up and was on my way back to the door outside when I notice something sitting on the cenderblock foundation directly above the door.
sure enough it was a damn copperhead coiled up right over the door. I crawled right under that bastard on the way in. Had my brother fetch me a frog gig and stabbed it and held it on until i could crawl out and take care of it.

I hate snakes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top