BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I absolutely love having the Opteka IR filter on mine but don't like how it interfaces w/ the 3x lens.  W/ mine it would absolutely fall off if tugged on, and the filter came w/ it each time.  NOT good.  The 5x wouldn't thread in at all due to the depth beyond the threads.  I'm OK w/ the lens not threading ALL the way into the Adams Industries since it really doesn't need to go all the way in to be stable.  Had I known something like this existed, I probably wouldn't have sold the 5x lens  I REALLY like the fact that a PVS-14 w/ an IR filter is perfectly g2g behind a non NV-compatible illuminated dot/reticle.  They also make for a nice sacrificial lens, although $75 would be a bit steep for a simple sac lens.  I'll likely be picking one of these up, wish it wasn't $75 bucks though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those aren't my pics & I don't have a setup to try it out, so I can't say for sure, but that information was directly from Christ of Adams Industries.

He said it doesn't thread all the way back, but does thread in most of the way and is not a problem of falling out/coming loose.  The one picture shows a 3x screwed into the filter that's in the PVS-14.  

I just thought this would be a nice extra, but after seeing that flashlight picture of before/after I'm totally sold.  REALLY cuts down on the bloom, wow.

I absolutely love having the Opteka IR filter on mine but don't like how it interfaces w/ the 3x lens.  W/ mine it would absolutely fall off if tugged on, and the filter came w/ it each time.  NOT good.  The 5x wouldn't thread in at all due to the depth beyond the threads.  I'm OK w/ the lens not threading ALL the way into the Adams Industries since it really doesn't need to go all the way in to be stable.  Had I known something like this existed, I probably wouldn't have sold the 5x lens  I REALLY like the fact that a PVS-14 w/ an IR filter is perfectly g2g behind a non NV-compatible illuminated dot/reticle.  They also make for a nice sacrificial lens, although $75 would be a bit steep for a simple sac lens.  I'll likely be picking one of these up, wish it wasn't $75 bucks though.

What non-NV compatible scope are you using? I'm wondering how well this would work with a sight that has a tritium illuminated reticle as a backup source, which is what makes it non-NV compatible. I have a Trijicon Tripower which I'd be curious to see if it would work with.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

What non-NV compatible scope are you using? I'm wondering how well this would work with a sight that has a tritium illuminated reticle as a backup source, which is what makes it non-NV compatible. I have a Trijicon Tripower which I'd be curious to see if it would work with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those aren't my pics & I don't have a setup to try it out, so I can't say for sure, but that information was directly from Christ of Adams Industries.

He said it doesn't thread all the way back, but does thread in most of the way and is not a problem of falling out/coming loose.  The one picture shows a 3x screwed into the filter that's in the PVS-14.  

I just thought this would be a nice extra, but after seeing that flashlight picture of before/after I'm totally sold.  REALLY cuts down on the bloom, wow.

That would depend on what the spectrum of light the tritium source put out is. You'd need some near IR for it to still work.
Is there a market for a band-pass filter like this that is specifically made for the PVS14 that still allows the standard lens cap & accessories (like the magnifier, compass, etc) to be used?  
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A buddy's Leupold w/ pig plex, Weaver Kaspa 2.5-10, Primary Arms 1-6 (original version, now sold), Primary Arms MD-09, MD-06, MD-07 micros.  Worked well w/ all of them.  As for Vault_Boy's question, if someone made a LIF style attachment that filtered anything ~700nm and shorter I would absolutely be game.  I like my Opteka IR filter for numerous reasons, but wish it sat nearly flush w/ the objective lens like the LIF does.  I do use my 3x lens a lot and would love it if I could still use the friction fit adapter (not super secure w/ the Opteka installed on the 14) for quick on, quick off.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:06:03 AM EDT
[#4]
So, question for y'all. After reading the thread about what's inside a tube and finding out the photocathode has an Aluminium Gallium Arsenide layer that acts as a band pass filter for 600nm and above, does this mean that an IR filter is just doing something that the tube already does? How much do these filters actually help?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:42:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So, question for y'all. After reading the thread about what's inside a tube and finding out the photocathode has an Aluminium Gallium Arsenide layer that acts as a band pass filter for 600nm and above, does this mean that an IR filter is just doing something that the tube already does? How much do these filters actually help?
View Quote

Simple to graphically see what a 720nm IR cutoff filter does, it eliminates everything you can see with your own eyes:

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I understand what it does. My question is of the photocathode already has a band pass filter film of 600 nm then that is already filtering out a large portion of visible light. Why can't they make that higher? And  how much more protection is it offering at that limit? It's only adding protection to the orange and red spectrum over what the photocathode already protects against. Correct?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#7]
You're doing it wrong, I want two of them, and a deal... Someone contact them for bulk order pricing and start a Group buy thread get back to us with some linkage.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I understand what it does. My question is of the photocathode already has a band pass filter film of 600 nm then that is already filtering out a large portion of visible light. Why can't they make that higher? And  how much more protection is it offering at that limit? It's only adding protection to the orange and red spectrum over what the photocathode already protects against. Correct?
View Quote

I do not believe you understand what is going on here, the photocathode does not already have a band pass filter of 600nm, that is simply part of the absorption spectrum of gallium arsenide. The 720nm cutoff simply eliminates visible light from entering the gallium arsenide image intensifier, so it only amplifies longer wavelength IR instead.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You're doing it wrong, I want two of them, and a deal... Someone contact them for bulk order pricing and start a Group buy thread get back to us with some linkage.
View Quote

Done.  I've been emailing with Chris back & forth for the last week and just sent him the proposal of doing a group buy.  I will keep everyone posted & abide by all GB rules if we can get this setup & going.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I do not believe you understand what is going on here, the photocathode does not already have a band pass filter of 600nm, that is simply part of the absorption spectrum of gallium arsenide. The 720nm cutoff simply eliminates visible light from entering the gallium arsenide image intensifier, so it only amplifies longer wavelength IR instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess you can understand my confusion on it based on the write up on here about what's inside the tube where it says

"The next layer to go down is an Aluminium Gallium Arsenide layer about 5 microns ( 5000nm ) thick. This acts as a bandpass filter ( above 600nm )."

So if this is incorrect then I apologize, but given the limited resources and knowledge I have in the subject to go off of leaves me to ask these questions.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Done.  I've been emailing with Chris back & forth for the last week and just sent him the proposal of doing a group buy.  I will keep everyone posted & abide by all GB rules if we can get this setup & going.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good move, subscribed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Good move, subscribed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good move, subscribed.

Sorry guys, no Group Buy possible on these.  Received this reply back from Chris:

"Honestly,

I don’t have much of a discount I can give on these, so it’s probably just easier for people to buy them on the site.

Best Regards,

Chris Adams
President"

Still worth picking one up those, really reduces that bloom!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Kill joy, they should come with the sentinals anyway. Have they put them on "the website" yet or as you described do you have to call? I didn't have much luck with the website.

ETA- nevermind I found them
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Got my IR filter in the mail. I bought the one Skypup linked to and recommended. Comes in a nice case and is all glass optics. Screws right into my PVS-14 lens. The lens cap still goes on perfect. The price was darn cheap for what looks like a quality lens. I am pleased with the price and construction of the lens.

Now to performance. I first used the lens in a urban area. I noticed a good dip in performance but I expected this from all the visible light pollution. I also noticed a good loss in contrast. Conditions were clear with a quarter moon out. In urban areas visible light reflects off everything and the 720 filter cuts that out so the perception is a distinct loss of performance.

Next I tried the lens in a rural area up on the farm. Conditions were clear with just starlight and a sliver of a moon. I noticed almost no loss in performance because there was little to no sky pollution. The scope was mostly amplifying light in the IR range above 720 and there was not much else to amplify.

My conclusion is you will see a noticeable drop in brightness and contrast in urban settings. In rural settings where it gets really dark, not much of any loss in performance. I am still playing with it so my findings are not set in stone yet.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Dino, try it out in the woods at dusk and dawn and see how much you can see back into the darkness even before the sun is up or down.....you will have to attenuate the gain some.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Hi Everybody.

I don't usually post here but since an abundance of people wanted to see the new filters, I thought I would provide a link.

https://www.adamsindustries.com/ADAMS-INDUSTRIES/Night-Vision-Accessories/AI-FILTER-MINUSB.html

V/R
Chris Adams
Adams Industries
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hi Everybody.

I don't usually post here but since an abundance of people wanted to see the new filters, I thought I would provide a link.

https://www.adamsindustries.com/ADAMS-INDUSTRIES/Night-Vision-Accessories/AI-FILTER-MINUSB.html

V/R
Chris Adams
Adams Industries
View Quote

thats just nifty right there.

whats the in stock status for these?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top