User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 7:13:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The g24 will also need a different j-arm attachment. I'm sure it is a better set up, but it was too rich for my blood. I am happy with the g11.
View Quote

If it's a solid setup then it's tough to beat the price. $350 is still a good bit of money even if we are talking about a near $5k purchase.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd go with the standard USGI Rhino until you have the money for an INVG
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is it the cat's meow? How do you think it's better than what you have ran previously?

I plan on just working on getting the right setup all picked out and then keep saving until I hit that dollar mark. I'm sure the pieces will change a few times in that time frame. So if it really is better, I don't mind waiting a bit longer for more money. But I do hate buying stuff twice.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#4]
You could try this: Norotos USGI Titanium

It has a vertical adjustment. The adjustments take are not super smooth, takes a little wiggling, but for the price its hard to beat. You can find them of ebay for cheaper, I picked one up for $65.  Figure it will hold me over until I can save for nicer Norotos or Wilcox.

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Is it the cat's meow? How do you think it's better than what you have ran previously?

I plan on just working on getting the right setup all picked out and then keep saving until I hit that dollar mark. I'm sure the pieces will change a few times in that time frame. So if it really is better, I don't mind waiting a bit longer for more money. But I do hate buying stuff twice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm too broke to buy one yet, but from seeing them used, etc, I'm sold. They allow you to swivel your NVG up against your head with little added height, and less fatigue from leverage.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep an eye out for the new Norotos USGI Titanium mount.  A bunch of sales samples got listed on Ebay for cheap.  I picked up a pair for $75 or so.  It is much better than the old Norotos Rhino.  The new one has vertical & horizontal adjustment features which really allow you to get it set for you.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#7]
It's back!  I couldn't help myself and picked one up.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me, too.

I feel like Jaimie and I are becoming friends.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Me, too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me, too.

She's a very patient woman.  Which is nice.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me, too.

Now I don't feel to bad for emailing her a couple times over the past few weeks
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 10:30:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hard to believe we finally got a good IN STOCK status. First time since December!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/Crye_zpsfb60f432.jpg

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard to believe we finally got a good IN STOCK status. First time since December!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/Crye_zpsfb60f432.jpg

Vic

I love mine, had I known it wouldn't be long I would've waited for the multicam but these things are DAMN COMFORTABLE!!  I love mine
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I love the design and function of the nightcap. My only beef is the chin strap never seems to be centered on my face. When it gets centered, the head piece seems crooked and vise versa. Ive had to tighten down the chin and behind head straps all the way or close to it. It seems the buckle is too big and taking up too much strap space.

I can definetly live with the mild off-centeredness for not having to wear a balistic hemlet.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I love the design and function of the nightcap. My only beef is the chin strap never seems to be centered on my face. When it gets centered, the head piece seems crooked and vise versa. Ive had to tighten down the chin and behind head straps all the way or close to it. It seems the buckle is too big and taking up too much strap space.

I can definetly live with the mild off-centeredness for not having to wear a balistic hemlet.
View Quote

I've noticed the exact same thing.  I still like it.  Tonight I get to run around w/ it and my new EOG low short counterweight and Wilcox lanyard  I think the best part about it is being able to roll the thing up and stick in a pocket or small bag.  I'm really interested to see how it feels prone w/ and w/o the 3x magnifier, that was where I HATED my helmet.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
really interested to see how it feels prone w/ and w/o the 3x magnifier, that was where I HATED my helmet.
View Quote

Omg, having flashbacks to the "Fort Benning Club for Boys"! HATED that crap.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks Victor.  I ordered one at 12:49 and was in FedEx's hands at 4:15.  This has to be the fastest shipping I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#18]
So I just pulled the trigger on a Nightcap, Wilcox 3 hole shroud with lanyard, and Wilcox G11 from TNVC.  Ted was great to work with handling my nube questions, but I forgot to ask a couple.

I am decidedly low speed high drag.  I'm getting the nightcap for when I travel and to use for my kids to go out with me (I'll be wearing my Base Jump).  We're using a pretty nice Gen III PVS-14 and a Gen II+ PVS-7 with USGI mount interface.  I doubt we'll spend more than a couple hours out at a time.  I didn't get a counterweight (EOG GenII was recommended).  Do I need one with that short duration of use?  If so, does it attach well to the nightcap?

I'd like IR markers on the kids.  Right now I plan on using IR chemlights, but would like something that would flash so I can ID who is who.  What's the best idea for inexpensive markers that will easily fit on top of the nightcap?

Anything else I should be asking?

Vic, you hired good folks.  Eric really helped me out at SHOT, and the performance of your people is what is bringing my business to you.  Hope your company keeps it up.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So I just pulled the trigger on a Nightcap, Wilcox 3 hole shroud with lanyard, and Wilcox G11 from TNVC.  Ted was great to work with handling my nube questions, but I forgot to ask a couple.

I am decidedly low speed high drag.  I'm getting the nightcap for when I travel and to use for my kids to go out with me (I'll be wearing my Base Jump).  We're using a pretty nice Gen III PVS-14 and a Gen II+ PVS-7 with USGI mount interface.  I doubt we'll spend more than a couple hours out at a time.  I didn't get a counterweight (EOG GenII was recommended).  Do I need one with that short duration of use?  If so, does it attach well to the nightcap?

I'd like IR markers on the kids.  Right now I plan on using IR chemlights, but would like something that would flash so I can ID who is who.  What's the best idea for inexpensive markers that will easily fit on top of the nightcap?

Vic, you hired good folks.  Eric really helped me out at SHOT, and the performance of your people is what is bringing my business to you.  Hope your company keeps it up.
View Quote

My neck starts hurting within five (5) minutes without a counterweight.

A cheap IR marker like the Phoenix Jr. that uses a 9V and can run uninterrupted for a month on one battery is cheap and would be perfect.

No reason to spend more on either for your stated purpose, IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Eric,

Nice...another $157 out the door.  I got a sampler platter of lights to try plus the EOG counterweight.

Thanks, and I do appreciate the input!

btw, Jaimie sounds nicer than you!
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nice...another $157 out the door.  I got a sampler platter of lights to try plus the EOG counterweight.

Thanks, and I do appreciate the input!

btw, Jaimie sounds nicer than you!
View Quote

You got out of TNVC for $157? That's a record low, I believe.  

Also, Jaime may *sound* nice, but if you piss her off, it's LOM, baybee. LOM.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It wouldn't hurt to get a counterweight. Anything that EOG makes, is bombproof. It mates up to the nightcap very well, it just attaches by way of velcro.

http://tnvc.com/shop/category/explosive-ops-gear/

Why does everyone seem to recommend the 3"x2.5"x1.25" EOG Gen II 1lb counterweight over the EOG Low Profile (7"x2") or Low Profile Short (6"x2") counterweights that are adjustable from 4 to 24oz? Just trying to decide which one to order

An inexpensive way to mark the kids with IR and be able to mount easily to night caps, a few options;

SS Precision V LITE
http://tnvc.com/shop/ss-precision-v-lite/

Guardian IR Beacons
http://tnvc.com/shop/guardian-dual-function-infrared-beacon/

Phoenix JR
http://tnvc.com/shop/phoenix-jr-123-infrared-beacon/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wouldn't hurt to get a counterweight. Anything that EOG makes, is bombproof. It mates up to the nightcap very well, it just attaches by way of velcro.

http://tnvc.com/shop/category/explosive-ops-gear/

Why does everyone seem to recommend the 3"x2.5"x1.25" EOG Gen II 1lb counterweight over the EOG Low Profile (7"x2") or Low Profile Short (6"x2") counterweights that are adjustable from 4 to 24oz? Just trying to decide which one to order

An inexpensive way to mark the kids with IR and be able to mount easily to night caps, a few options;

SS Precision V LITE
http://tnvc.com/shop/ss-precision-v-lite/

Guardian IR Beacons
http://tnvc.com/shop/guardian-dual-function-infrared-beacon/

Phoenix JR
http://tnvc.com/shop/phoenix-jr-123-infrared-beacon/

Link Posted: 5/30/2014 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#24]
A "cautionary" note regarding application of IR beacons in the civi world based on my experience.....some of them can be mega bright!

Brighter is not necessarily better depending on the use.  Warfighters signaling aircraft are not the same as hunters or families keeping track of each other, their children, or their dogs running around at night in the woods.

I consider IR beacons essential and they are on all of my NV rigs, but if they become "blindingly annoying" in close proximity, they might get switched off.  They are also most excellent as trail, landmark, and/or downed game markers, so carrying a few spares in your pack is a good idea.

Link Posted: 5/30/2014 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A "cautionary" note regarding application of IR beacons in the civi world based on my experience.....some of them can be mega bright!

Brighter is not necessarily better depending on the use.  Warfighters signaling aircraft are not the same as hunters or families keeping track of each other, their children, or their dogs running around at night in the woods.

I consider IR beacons essential and they are on all of my NV rigs, but if they become "blindingly annoying" in close proximity, they might get switched off.  They are also most excellent as trail, landmark, and/or downed game markers, so carrying a few spares in your pack is a good idea.
View Quote

I hate even wearing them. Necessary evil.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Super Idea to mark the kids for safety.....My experience with strobes is that they drive you half crazy after a few minutes. You may look at dimming the light a bit with riggers tape so the brightness isnt so overpowering.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I hate even wearing them. Necessary evil.
View Quote

Necessary, yes; evil, not at all.  YMMV
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Another IR beacon option, Pelican IR beacon. I use these to mark my dogs while out in the desert. Not too overly bright but can still see them very well.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Another IR beacon option, Pelican IR beacon. I use these to mark my dogs while out in the desert. Not too overly bright but can still see them very well.
View Quote

I have been very pleased with Pelican lights in the past.  What type battery does that particular model use?
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#31]
it takes LR44's
I got a whole butt load of them from amazon

Also Thanks TNVC, ordered a night cap and wilcox shroud today!  yet more money you've taken from me.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I just can't say enough good about this thing.  I've started wearing it w/ NVD setup for a couple hours several nights a week, it's SO much better and more comfortable IMHO than my PT alphas (I"m wearing it as I type this).  For anyone on the fence about one of these, do yourself a favor and buy one.  I must say that this has been the most enjoyable NV-related item that I have received in a long time.  I've got the Wilcox L4 shroud and lanyard, rhino mount, and EOG short low profile counterweight on it and it is spectacular.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 7:51:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Heck I broke down and placed a order at TNVC for one of these nightcaps to try out.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I've had my Nightcap for a week now and have some initial thoughts.  This is a great piece of gear.  It is very well put together with a high degree of craftsmanship.  Stitching is tight and QC obviously high.  The buckles are adjustable and it wears like a fitted ballcap with a large comfy pad in the front between your forehead and the front to spread out the weight of the goggle.  It does not interfere with my Peltor Comtac 3s.  As others have noted, it is lightweight and folds down into the size of a fist to go into any medium sized pouch.

I ordered mine with the Wilcox L4 3 hole shroud in tan with lanyard.  The carbon fiber backer in the front of the cap is predrilled for the short screws.  After locating the holes with a straight pin, I cut small holes in the fabric on either size of the backer to allow the screws to fit up.  After bolting up, I've worn it for several hours to gauge comfort, hot spots, and fit.  It has passed all of these with flying colors.   For a low profile, pack in your pocket system, this thing is tops.  I've got a EOD counterweight on order for use with my Sentinel when it gets in, but with a single tube PVS14, it really isn't required IMO.  I think Crye brought a nice alternative to the market that allows for use of your NODs without having to pack a helmet with your go gear.

Pardon my vacant expression in the photos.  It was a tough night.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Why does everyone seem to recommend the 3"x2.5"x1.25" EOG Gen II 1lb counterweight over the EOG Low Profile (7"x2") or Low Profile Short (6"x2") counterweights that are adjustable from 4 to 24oz? Just trying to decide which one to order .
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#38]
My wife called me "grape head" last night when I was testing some devices using the NightCap.  I responded by referring to her as my most wonderful and loving spouse.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Why does everyone seem to recommend the 3"x2.5"x1.25" EOG Gen II 1lb counterweight over the EOG Low Profile (7"x2") or Low Profile Short (6"x2") counterweights that are adjustable from 4 to 24oz? Just trying to decide which one to order .
View Quote

I wondered that too since several pics I saw when I was contemplating this included the gen 2 counterweight.  It seemed to me that the low profile short would mate perfectly w/ this thing, and indeed it does as I put another few hours under it w/ NVDs this weekend.  I also like the fact that I was able to add or subtract the weights until I got it just right.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I chose the EOG Gen II because the weight is a bean bag and is very comfortable against your head when used on a soft style mounting point like the Night Cap.  Additionally the footprint most closely matches the Velcro attachment point.  It is 4" x 2" loop patch vs the 3" x 2.5" OEG Gen II.  Conversely the Low Profile counterweight works well on my helmet because of the hardness and moldability of the solid weights.  Also note the relatively high mounting position on the Crye Nightcap vs the low edge position of a counterweight on a solid helmet.  On my helmets I mount the counterweight as low as possible.

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My wife called me "grape head" last night when I was testing some devices using the NightCap.  I responded by referring to her as my most wonderful and loving spouse.
View Quote

Good call John.  I've been married 22 years and have been called much worse.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Good call John.  I've been married 22 years and have been called much worse.  
View Quote

NV helmets = "nerd guy"
NightCap = "grape head"
Having both = "great wife"!

The tiny black OC helmet seen in some previously posted pics would be the "nerd gal" variant, but you will never here me use that term.

Recognizing that the last night shoot was plenty busy testing lots of stuff, we need to get together again with greater emphasis on the comms gear since you expressed particular interest in that.  When is your Sentinal scheduled to arrive?  I might even try out some of your counterweights, despite the fact that I hate the things and find them unnecessary with monoculars.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Recognizing that the last night shoot was plenty busy testing lots of stuff, we need to get together again with greater emphasis on the comms gear since you expressed particular interest in that.  When is your Sentinal scheduled to arrive?  I might even try out some of your counterweights, despite the fact that I hate the things and find them unnecessary with monoculars.
View Quote

Sentinel is due in a couple of weeks.  I'd love to get together when it comes in.  Of course, you can test out anything I've got and I'd love to get some time with your comms gear before I make a buying decision of my own.  Once the Sentinel comes in, I'll have 2 sets of NODS and helmets.  Comms will be next.

Handling your Nightcap gave me the added push I needed to get one.  These are great NVG times we are living in.  Tolerant wives are great as well.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I think I managed to make my setup even more comfortable.  I noticed this week that after a couple hours I started to feel a bit of a pressure point under the counterweight (I'm using an EOG low profile low w/ four weight bars).  Last night I sandwiched an extra brow pad from my first helmet in between the bag and the closest weight to my head.  I think it has helped out quite a bit.  Given the size of the weight bars, one could also use a brow pad or two from the head mount that comes w/ most PVS-14s.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top