BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/20/2013 9:04:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it compatible with a comms headset such as OTH TCI LIB II?
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Very nice.  Will definitely be trying these out.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#3]
It looks a lot better than the standard skull crusher though I could probably do without the actually fabric cap part. The price is half of what I thought it'd be as well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I was wondering how long it would take for something like this to hit the market...

It just seemed that having to wear a helmet just for NVG use was more bulky & heavy than it needed to be.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Im guessing I'm alone here, but I want someone to review one. It still looks like it would give you a headache after even a couple hours of use, kind of like a skull crusher with a mesh cover. Obviously this is conjecture, not a statement, but I am looking forward to some nonbiased user write-ups. I hope I'm wrong as it could be a nice alternative if they somehow managed to make it comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I absolutely plan on buying one of these, however dynamic movement under goggles really does require a bump helmet in my experience.

Once you get out from really wide open flat terrain or your yard then trips, falls, spills, bumps, and etc are bound to happen. Who else here has completely gone ass-over-tea-kettle while under goggles? I can't be the only one!

I can remember totally clotheslining myself going through a hatch at speed, my pvs-7's were flipped up and caught on the lip of the hatch. My legs came out from under me and I landed hard on my back, thankfully my lid kept me from busting my head. I've seen another guy run for an alleyway, catch some bright light and get off course, straight into a brick wall, he was all kinds of fucked up.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was wondering how long it would take for something like this to hit the market...

It just seemed that having to wear a helmet just for NVG use was more bulky & heavy than it needed to be.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2013 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Is it compatible with a comms headset such as OTH TCI LIB II?
View Quote
Good question. Not sure honestly.

Link Posted: 12/20/2013 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

What do you mean? These types have been around for a very long time. I've been using one for maybe 17+ years. When I first got in the military I actually used PVS-4's and 5's. Those obviously don't use a skull crusher.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#9]
What mount would you recommend with this?
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I absolutely plan on buying one of these, however dynamic movement under goggles really does require a bump helmet in my experience.

Once you get out from really wide open flat terrain or your yard then trips, falls, spills, bumps, and etc are bound to happen. Who else here has completely gone ass-over-tea-kettle while under goggles? I can't be the only one!

I can remember totally clotheslining myself going through a hatch at speed, my pvs-7's were flipped up and caught on the lip of the hatch. My legs came out from under me and I landed hard on my back, thankfully my lid kept me from busting my head. I've seen another guy run for an alleyway, catch some bright light and get off course, straight into a brick wall, he was all kinds of fucked up.

View Quote
LOLOL. Those stories are funny but also not so funny. The best is when you are in full kit, nods on, and don't adjust for a stepdown or sudden drop while moving. I looked like a demo'd building. knees buckled just fell straight down. Shit gets heavy sometimes...

Link Posted: 12/20/2013 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't say I've ever done that other than one time. This is in 20+ years in the military and a little over half of that was/is in reconnaissance and special operations, not using a helmet. The helmet would go in the bottom of the ruck and the NODs would be on a skull crusher.

The one time I did take a spill was on a night land nav course with a ruck and NVG's. I was walking and all of a sudden I fell about 10-12 feet and landed on my back. I think my ruck pulled me around as I fell. The guy behind me said I just disappeared. I fell into an old basement. The house was long gone and at one time was a WWII POW camp for German prisoners.

We would've gotten smoked if we actually needed a helmet to walk in the woods with NOD's. You have to be loud as heck! lol
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What mount would you recommend with this?
View Quote

Works with almost any 3/4 hole mount. Just have to poke holes through the material. I used an old Ops-Core 3 Hole shroud on mine.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You said the same thing on another forum and I'll say it here....First we ain't bias, we test gear extensively BEFORE WE RELEASE IT. We've had this particular kit for awhile now we've been running. See below.

This ain't a Russian piece of kit, and we've spent MANY hours with this unit like we do with all our kit before we offer it. We think this is a FAR cry from the normal "skull crusher", leaps and bounds better. Just because it might say Crye, Ops, Team Wendy, etc. we test all the American made top gear no matter what the manufacturer says before we offer it. Much of the kit we get comes to us long before it even hits the common market.

LDI in particular has some pretty awesome kit you will see at Shot we've been working with...
Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Im guessing I'm alone here, but I want someone to review one. It still looks like it would give you a headache after even a couple hours of use, kind of like a skull crusher with a mesh cover. Obviously this is conjecture, not a statement, but I am looking forward to some nonbiased user write-ups. I hope I'm wrong as it could be a nice alternative if they somehow managed to make it comfortable.

You said the same thing on another forum and I'll say it here....First we ain't bias, we test gear extensively BEFORE WE RELEASE IT. We've had this particular kit for awhile now we've been running. See below.

This ain't a Russian piece of kit, and we've spent MANY hours with this unit like we do with all our kit before we offer it. We think this is a FAR cry from the normal "skull crusher", leaps and bounds better. Just because it might say Crye, Ops, Team Wendy, etc. we test all the American made top gear no matter what the manufacturer says before we offer it. Much of the kit we get comes to us long before it even hits the common market.

LDI in particular has some pretty awesome kit you will see at Shot we've been working with...
Vic

Im not saying you are biased. Is it wrong to assume a customer may have used one here and not on the Hide yet? or vise versa? It's something I am considering, but relying solely on the VA for my paycheck, my funds are limited. Therefor I try not to rush in and buy something based on advertising alone. Im not saying the advertiser is hyping, but Im used to the very best gear available, but as SCDV 100%, I cant afford to buy something without vetting it. Im not sure if you've ever broken your neck, but avoiding headaches is a challenge afterwards. Well designed gear lets you do that and still enjoy life. I have a meeting with CRYE and LDI at SHOT, Ill check it out then.

It has NOT given me ANY headaches, as it has nothing to pinch your head as the PVS-14 Kit "Skull Crusher" does.  Clasky has also worn it extensively and I am sure he will chime in as well and we think it's more stable than a PT Bravo.

Link Posted: 12/21/2013 7:08:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Since I have an unused 3 hole shroud on old A Alpha with a broken chin strap, I went ahead and ordered one. Hopefully this will be a solution to flying with a helmet, which is too bulky for my tastes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Sucks that the older Wilcox mounts like the L2 G05 aren't compatible with any of their new mounts.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 1:06:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 2:01:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Seems perfect for use in a go bag. Will be ordering.
View Quote

I think i'm going to pick up a couple as well.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 5:54:25 AM EDT
[#20]
What shroud is that in the picture? What counterweight set up works best with the Night Cap.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That is exactly the reason I'm going for it.

Quoted:
What shroud is that in the picture? What counterweight set up works best with the Night Cap.

Based on what Clasky was saying in one of his posts the need for one isn't as great. I figure just the EOD model you can put spare batteries, etc. in.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What do you mean? These types have been around for a very long time. I've been using one for maybe 17+ years. When I first got in the military I actually used PVS-4's and 5's. Those obviously don't use a skull crusher.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I've never seen such a device that utilized a shroud on the front like this one so you could attach a flip-up. You have any links/pictures of similar devices that have been around for a while?
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 3:34:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Just found out there's currently an 8 week backorder.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#28]
That's Awesome!  Any word on the next shipment of these in black?
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone who got one have a review?
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm still waiting till end of Feb/Early March as Vic said.

That reminds me that I should call and see if they can ship the rest of my order while I wait.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I am sure we can, give Jaimie a jingle.   It will not cost you any extra shipping once the Cap goes out.

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm still waiting till end of Feb/Early March as Vic said.

That reminds me that I should call and see if they can ship the rest of my order while I wait.

I am sure we can, give Jaimie a jingle.   It will not cost you any extra shipping once the Cap goes out.

Vic

Yup. Jaimie was more than happy to help me out. Changed a few pieces and will ship the partial order. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Helmets are for droolers...

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:57:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Militarymorons has revied it long time ago.

http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/crye6.html
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:22:14 PM EDT
[#36]
How does the sizing work out on these?

I'm interested, but have a large head.  
One-size-fits-all hats are a little small for me.  

Link Posted: 2/17/2014 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#37]
So a dumb idea popped in to my head today....

Has anyone tried modding these into a ghillie cap?
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:20:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 5:08:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So a dumb idea popped in to my head today....

Has anyone tried modding these into a ghillie cap?
View Quote

Part of the appeal is the ultra-light weight and that it can be wadded up and stuffed in a pocket. I think you would loose that by adding stuff to it. In my opinion you'd be better off just using a hood so you still have the usefulness when you don't want a ghille. This is coming from a ghille hater though, so take it for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#40]
More or less patiently waiting...

This would be much better for nighttime dog walking than my bump helmet. I'm always a little concerned that someone driving down the road will get all panicky and call me in as a suspicious person.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This would be much better for nighttime dog walking than my bump helmet. I'm always a little concerned that someone driving down the road will get all panicky and call me in as a suspicious person.
View Quote

I'm glad someone else runs into this problem. LOL

Calm walk with the dog...car lights are seen way in the distance. LEAP INTO THE BUSHES!
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Calm walk with the dog...car lights are seen way in the distance. LEAP INTO THE BUSHES!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then all the drivers see is a dog with a leash leading into the bushes. :)

The wait is killing me on this. Everything else is here but that cap.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Anyone know what the small stainless screws are for?

I wish they would have added just a touch of padding on the chin area, similar to an OpsCor H-nape chine strap.  It wouldn't have added any bulk really & brought the comfort level up a lot.

Although I did just pick up an old singer and could probably add some padding on myself but I'm a sucker for factory done stitching.

Link Posted: 2/20/2014 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You should have no issues. You can cinch this thing down pretty small.

View Quote

Thanks Eric, but how about the other end of the sizing spectrum?
I'm talking 7-3/4 hat size, XL ACH, Crye doesn't make an airframe that fits my dome sizing.
Cinching it down pretty small isn't exactly what I want to do with it.

Link Posted: 2/21/2014 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whew. Me, too. I just put it out there and figured I'd fall on the sword. Instead of furtive leaping like a creeper, I just turn my head away from the road to interact with the dog. That way, they won't see my face and recognize me. That's plausible deniability. I could be any one of the guys who strap on a repurposed skate helmet and walk a big slobbering dog in the dark. My wife just shakes her head & continues watching HGTV.

Living in suburbia with a busy job & kids, that's about the only regular opportunity I have to stroll around with NODs. As long as TEOTWAKI involves lots of doggie waste disposal bags, I'm all set.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
How does the sizing work out on these?

I'm interested, but have a large head.  
One-size-fits-all hats are a little small for me.  

View Quote

I have a rather large head. 7 3/4 if I remember correctly.  The nightcap fits me with no issues.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
ahh i see. I went back a re-read, sometimes I have to fly through this stuff and answer a ton of things, all while multitasking.
You may have some issues. I wear a size L airframe to give you frame of reference,  and the nightcap its pretty roomy on me, but not too much. I dont think it will go out to 24.5" comfortably.
On another note, have you tried the XL airframe? 7 and 3/4 hat size is 24 1/4". An XL airframe is sized as XL: (24.5 +)    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
ahh i see. I went back a re-read, sometimes I have to fly through this stuff and answer a ton of things, all while multitasking.
You may have some issues. I wear a size L airframe to give you frame of reference,  and the nightcap its pretty roomy on me, but not too much. I dont think it will go out to 24.5" comfortably.
On another note, have you tried the XL airframe? 7 and 3/4 hat size is 24 1/4". An XL airframe is sized as XL: (24.5 +)    

No problem.

To be honest, I don't know what size Airframe I tried.  It was a couple years ago, we had a few at work and I would have sworn they came in only two sizes, a M/L and L/XL (or something like that).  I don't remember straight "M", "L", and "XL" sizing.  All I remember is that the biggest airframe we had our hands on wouldn't fit, and being disappointed that they didn't make a bigger one.  

Did they change the sizing, or start making the XL more recently?  Or am I just confused?  
It's possible that I just confused myself somewhere along the way and only tried the "L" Airframe.

Quoted:
I have a rather large head. 7 3/4 if I remember correctly.  The nightcap fits me with no issues.

Thanks!  I might be getting one of these then.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 9:16:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#50]

This might have me sold.  The Ops Base Jump has been having a couple of hot spots on my head since I mounted the Anvis and battery pack, and I think I need to do some sort of upgrayedd.  I've managed to get through the last few months without running my head into things, so I should be able to get away without a helmet too.

Are they back in stock yet?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top