Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2013 12:56:32 PM EDT
So, I was perusing some night vision places that I don't post at. I just like to see what other information is out and about. I run across a guy who I have had many previous "discussions" with. We don't care for each other but that is beside the point. The point is the information he is putting out.

.7mw IR lasers "destroying hundreds of tubes". To keep it fair they were discussing use on a pistol at close ranges. For this topic let us assume typical pistol ranges of 25 to 50 feet. I am not a laser expert but do know a fair amount about tubes. I also have used and own quite a few lasers, even the milspec high power ones (no agent Wu I don't own any milspec lasers) . I have NEVER seen one tube even slightly damaged by a .7mw IR laser.

I am sure it could be done if someone was a complete idiot and reflected their IR laser directly back into the tube for prolonged duration. Yes it could be done but you would need close range, a highly reflective surface and prolonged exposure. Anyone that has ever shot a pistol knows how hard it would be to keep it laser steady by hand for a prolonged period of time. Maybe if the pistol was locked in a vise this is possible.

The poster goes on to say how this is detrimental to tube life and damages them. Well, every time we turn our NV on it is detrimental to tube life as a night vision tube has a finite life span. To say .7mw IR laser use damages and affects tube life is like saying rain is hard on shingles. Yes, use of your night vision in higher light environments affects tube life. Still, I have never seen a Gen 3 tube completely worn out. Never even seen a mislpec tube worn out and they use them more than any casual user.

Rain will wear out shingles in the life expectancy of the shingle. But they were designed to handle rain. A night vision tube is no different. The designers know the tubes will be used in all types of varying lighting conditions. They are designed to handle that and not significantly effect tube life. Certainly shooting a pistol mounted .7mw IR laser with a 14 mounted on your head is nothing to be concerned about. Not only would you need the pistol held dead steady and straight on axis your head would have to be as well and both for prolonged periods at .7mw.

This just does not happen in real world use. I still wait to see these hundreds of tubes destroyed from pistol IR laser use. Talked to a few prominent NV friends and company's, they have not seen one either. Just a post to dispel some myths from a guy peddling "special tubes"...

ETA: If anyone here has a damaged tube from a .7mw IR laser I would love to hear about it and see some pics through the tube.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Dbal D2 and have used the 0.7mw IR setting a bit with a 300BLK rifle.  It's definitely bright, but no problems yet.  

I also have a filter that eliminates bloom and reduces the output to 0.1mw, which seems to work better up close.

In the case of pistol shooting, I've been using a Trijicon RMR, which has almost no bloom, but is a little blurred out because of the focus range I'm using and the distance the sight is from my helmet mounted PVS-14's

I think you're pretty spot on in your post.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

So, I was perusing some night vision places that I don't post at. I just like to see what other information is out and about. I run across a guy who I have had many previous "discussions" with. We don't care for each other but that is beside the point. The point is the information he is putting out.

.7mw IR lasers "destroying hundreds of tubes". To keep it fair they were discussing use on a pistol at close ranges. For this topic let us assume typical pistol ranges of 25 to 50 feet. I am not a laser expert but do know a fair amount about tubes. I also have used and own quite a few lasers, even the milspec high power ones (no agent Wu I don't own any milspec lasers) . I have NEVER seen one tube even slightly damaged by a .7mw IR laser.

I am sure it could be done if someone was a complete idiot and reflected their IR laser directly back into the tube for prolonged duration. Yes it could be done but you would need close range, a highly reflective surface and prolonged exposure. Anyone that has ever shot a pistol knows how hard it would be to keep it laser steady by hand for a prolonged period of time. Maybe if the pistol was locked in a vise this is possible.

The poster goes on to say how this is detrimental to tube life and damages them. Well, every time we turn our NV on it is detrimental to tube life as a night vision tube has a finite life span. To say .7mw IR laser use damages and affects tube life is like saying rain is hard on shingles. Yes, use of your night vision in higher light environments affects tube life. Still, I have never seen a Gen 3 tube completely worn out. Never even seen a mislpec tube worn out and they use them more than any casual user.

Rain will wear out shingles in the life expectancy of the shingle. But they were designed to handle rain. A night vision tube is no different. The designers know the tubes will be used in all types of varying lighting conditions. They are designed to handle that and not significantly effect tube life. Certainly shooting a pistol mounted .7mw IR laser with a 14 mounted on your head is nothing to be concerned about. Not only would you need the pistol held dead steady and straight on axis your head would have to be as well and both for prolonged periods at .7mw.

This just does not happen in real world use. I still wait to see these hundreds of tubes destroyed from pistol IR laser use. Talked to a few prominent NV friends and company's, they have not seen one either. Just a post to dispel some myths from a guy peddling "special tubes"...
ETA: If anyone here has a damaged tube from a .7mw IR laser I would love to hear about it and see some pics through the tube.
View Quote
LOLOL, I remember that thread! It's sad thread really. The part that's so funny, is that he called it technical advice.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:[]LOLOL, I remember that thread! It's sad thread really. The part that's so funny, is that he called it technical advice.

View Quote

Well, he goes on to discuss micro channel plate depletion,cesium-oxygen activated layer of the photocathode and whether or not the autogating circuit is operating at full duty cycle. He knows few have any idea what he is talking about. Makes him sound "technical" even when his technical advice is flawed...
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I read that thread on the hide. I cruise through there on occasion and get amused with the ramblings.  One thing is for certain with that guy who posted
Poster has never been shot at
Poster has never shot at anyone
Poster has never been in any confrontation except with a hog in a field it seems by the ramblings
Poster has never been to any formal night vision training classes but says he's done this or that with his night vision hog hunting

I will have to admit I've taken a tactical night vision class a few years back and also with some other night vision trainers. I've also worked with several high power lasers for over 10 years and have yet to burn shit down in any of our issued gear. It's too bad some people want to burn down the good guys, and I think clasky is one of the good guys who really knows his shit and that goes the rest of their crew I have talked with on occasion.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a gen 3 tube damaged by IR lasers, however this was purposefully done in a destructive test. From the sound of it they where testing with full power military IR lasers to see the damaged caused to a gen 3 tube for a study with the DOD. The tube has several bad spots/grey areas but is still very serviceable. This was all disclosed when I bought the tube and I got it dirt cheap. Is this guy selling the damaged tubes?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a gen 3 tube damaged by IR lasers, however this was purposefully done in a destructive test. From the sound of it they where testing with full power military IR lasers to see the damaged caused to a gen 3 tube for a study with the DOD. The tube has several bad spots/grey areas but is still very serviceable. This was all disclosed when I bought the tube and I got it dirt cheap. Is this guy selling the damaged tubes?
View Quote

No, this fella sells new tubes that can withstand nuclear blasts from all the hype I read. Same guy that said autogating tubes alerted guard dogs (back when he didn't sell autogated tubes). Same guy that said the D series scopes had tape reticles. They have etched glass reticles and I have never heard of a single issue with a D series scope reticle. Now that his friends sell D series scopes they seem to be good pieces of kit. Same guy who bashed Flir because they don't sell Flir products.

It was that guy who now says .7mw IR lasers destroy hundreds of tubes. Why ? To sell the ones that withstand nuclear blasts. He is entertaining to say the least, but very predictable. Not going to mention names. I just don't want guys reading that bull to not go out and enjoy their night vision with awesome IR lasers on a pistol.

His dribble is not new. He has been at it for years.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#7]
You should see all the dumb ass "oops" moments I have had with my "heavy" use tube, and it performs just as good as the day i got it

-Brothers friend looking directly at head lights
-in garage and wife turned on the lights
-Direct shot .7 ir laser (testing pressure switch was holding it backwards so it shot right in the tube)
-eotech turned on to high long enough to burn image into tube (put it in box, left it on overnight and it fixed it)
-had pvs14 turned on with IR, went to turn it off, only went 1 click so i only turned IR off not the mono, then took in fully lit room long enough to where the bright light cut off turned it off (I have done this at least 2 times)
-using da torch at way too close a distance, so bright i could see the honeycome

They can definitely take some abuse.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You should see all the dumb ass "oops" moments I have had with my "heavy" use tube, and it performs just as good as the day i got it

-Brothers friend looking directly at head lights
-in garage and wife turned on the lights
-Direct shot .7 ir laser (testing pressure switch was holding it backwards so it shot right in the tube)
-eotech turned on to high long enough to burn image into tube (put it in box, left it on overnight and it fixed it)
-had pvs14 turned on with IR, went to turn it off, only went 1 click so i only turned IR off not the mono, then took in fully lit room long enough to where the bright light cut off turned it off (I have done this at least 2 times)
-using da torch at way too close a distance, so bright i could see the honeycome

They can definitely take some abuse.
View Quote

Yes, they are much tougher than people give them credit for. In honor of my "friend" I shot 50mw at a light pole 40 feet away with my best scope and tube (wanted to put my money where my mouth is and use my favorite tube). Nothing self destructed and it works as good as it did before. The crappy shot was just a quickie with my phone. 50mw is a far cry from .7 and all I got was some bloom. I had full bomb gear on waiting for the explosion. Nothing happened...

ETA: No light poles were harmed in my experiment.50mw of IR goodness could not burn through the light pole or my tube.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I read that thread on the hide. I cruise through there on occasion and get amused with the ramblings.  One thing is for certain with that guy who posted
Poster has never been in any confrontation except with a hog in a field it seems by the ramblings
Poster has never been to any formal night vision training classes but says he's done this or that with his night vision hog hunting

I will have to admit I've taken a tactical night vision class a few years back and also with some other night vision trainers. I've also worked with several high power lasers for over 10 years and have yet to burn shit down in any of our issued gear. It's too bad some people want to burn down the good guys, and I think clasky is one of the good guys who really knows his shit and that goes the rest of their crew I have talked with on occasion.
View Quote

Clasky is a great guy ! His professionalism was very evident in that thread. He took it on the chin and smiled and walked away. How he has that kind of patience is beyond me. Clasky knows his shit and could have buried him but didn't because he is one hell of a nice guy. I am not as nice as Clasky. I would have smoked him on the spot but I don't have a corporate image to uphold either. Clasky is a class act !
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Clasky is a great guy ! His professionalism was very evident in that thread. He took it on the chin and smiled and walked away. How he has that kind of patience is beyond me. Clasky knows his shit and could have buried him but didn't because he is one hell of a nice guy. I am not as nice as Clasky. I would have smoked him on the spot but I don't have a corporate image to uphold either. Clasky is a class act !
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's funny LOL. Get em Dino!

Sounds like a Snake oil salesman, taking a kernel of truth and growing it into a giant bean stock. Well with all those "hundreds" of IR spotted tubes out there, I'm going shopping for some......
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sounds like a Snake oil salesman, taking a kernel of truth and growing it into a giant bean stock. Well with all those "hundreds" of IR spotted tubes out there, I'm going shopping for some......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you find them PM me ! I always like to buy cheap great tubes damaged from those aweful IR lasers. Send them to me and I will buy all you find. I will then profit and pad my bank account. One difference between me and my "friend" is I am honest.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:11:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you find them PM me ! I always like to buy cheap great tubes damaged from those aweful IR lasers. Send them to me and I will buy all you find. I will then profit and pad my bank account. One difference between me and my "friend" is I am honest.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This thread is one of the funniest I've read in a long time...

Well, I find it absolutely unbelievable that someone can get away with such ridiculous claims, but there are plenty of dumb people in the world and they are the most easily separated from their money. Military lasers have a lot more power and specular damage is rare enough. I guess when you're selling snake oil, it's important to find gullible customers.

The first question that should come to mind, of course, is to ask "How bright can something be before it damages a tube?"

For that, we have the metric "Bright Source Protection"...  It's one of the "Milspec" metrics that defines tube performance. It's not something they measure on every tube, but most tubes should meet this spec. It's been around for over 30 years and hasn't really changed at all...

Bright source protection.  With operating potential applied, the assembly shall not be damaged (see 3.6.9) when subjected to an input illumination of not less than 50 milli-lumens concentrated on the photocathode within an area no greater than one square millimeter for a time interval not less than one minute.  There shall be no discernible damage (see 3.6.9) after a non-operating period of not more than 24 hours.

50 Millilumens. Well, how much is that? According to http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/lumpow.html, it's about 5mW for Infrared and higher.  How many millilumens are we talking about here? About 0.7mW... Not a big amount at all, and this is the TOTAL amount of light we're talking - so that's a direct hit... Or *perfect* specular reflection at close range. And they are claiming laser reflection from pigs is causing damage?

Now, I have to admit that I don't know about American pics, other than that they taste different to Aussie pigs, but Aussie pigs don't look like mirrors. In fact, they have a kind of matt finish to them here. Are there any Chrome pigs in the US??? And even if the pig is made of Chrome, we're still taking about a minute of exposure... Might it make a mark on your NOD? Sure. But there should be NO DISCERNABLE DAMAGE... Unless, of course, you got some kind of power supply that doesn't conform to the milspec, like I don't know, nuclear-blast-proof-PSUs or something... Or maybe when their recoil-proof tube fails the black spot isn't "recoil damage" it's "laser damage", I dunno.  

OK, I did kind of gloss over some stuff there, but a pistol laser? Come on, it's not even fixed in the image. Maybe I should add "Standing like a statue, looking at reflection of the laser on a flat section of chrome pig for a period of one minute and one second with a slightly more powerful laser than 5mW..." would exceed that standard. Barely.

Now, bright lights like lasers aren't good for image intensifiers, but I'm not going to start freaking out just because someone flashes an "eyesafe" laser at my NOD. Speaking of which, the above is the "Turned on and Non-gating" safety margin, but what does eyesafe mean anyway?

Well, firstly, eyesafe means that even if the laser was fixed on the retina for an extended period of time, it couldn't delivery enough power to cause damage, because there's not enough heating to cause damage. Image tubes are kind of the same, when not turned on. ( and when turned on, it's about BSP )

Also, it's not 0.7mW at higher IR wavelengths ( eg, around 900nm ) - it's about 1mW that's considered eyesafe... This is because IR wavelengths carry less energy per photon that visible wavelengths. You can even calculate it yourself if you're into lasers - eg, http://prod.sandia.gov/techlib/access-control.cgi/2002/021315.pdf

Now do I really have to do that technical stuff? Not really. Because most military lasers are around 3mW to 5mW ( All less than the magical "5mW" limit ), for up-close work, so I could just work off of that as a guideline, while perhaps considering how many people over the past 30 years have said "Oh crap, I shouldn't have lased that pig, it just destroyed my NOD".... Oh yeah, number of people = zero. Seriously. they don't even get LIFS ( Laser Protection filters ) for NODs to filter the rifle-mounted lasers at all... That's about how concerned the military is about this... But hey, do a google search on "My laser destroyed my night vision"...

Still, sometimes 1mW is a bit too bright for up-close work, even if it's not damaging... And 0.7mW is the same... So how to dull them?

With a Neutral Density Filter... Cost about $20 on ebay...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_density_filter

A NG9 filter will get rid of around 85~90% of the laser's intensity at IR spectral frequencies - http://www.stockoptics.com/media/datasheets/neutraldensity/NG9.pdf - And they come in 12mm dia, by either 1mm or 3mm thick... Perfect for small lasers... And optical grade glass too ( something I am planning on using in an upcoming project ).

Regards

David

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:36:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you professor CJ.  It is nice going to NV university over breakfast.  Good start of the day.

ETA:  it embarrasses me to think of how protective I was of my first PVS14.  I treated it like a china doll that might "blow up" with the slightest stray white light.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:03:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This thread is one of the funniest I've read in a long time...

Well, I find it absolutely unbelievable that someone can get away with such ridiculous claims, but there are plenty of dumb people in the world and they are the most easily separated from their money. Military lasers have a lot more power and specular damage is rare enough. I guess when you're selling snake oil, it's important to find gullible customers.

The first question that should come to mind, of course, is to ask "How bright can something be before it damages a tube?"

For that, we have the metric "Bright Source Protection"...  It's one of the "Milspec" metrics that defines tube performance. It's not something they measure on every tube, but most tubes should meet this spec. It's been around for over 30 years and hasn't really changed at all...

[div style='margin-left: 40px;'][div style='margin-left: 40px;']Bright source protection.  With operating potential applied, the assembly shall not be damaged (see 3.6.9) when subjected to an input illumination of not less than 50 milli-lumens concentrated on the photocathode within an area no greater than one square millimeter for a time interval not less than one minute.  There shall be no discernible damage (see 3.6.9) after a non-operating period of not more than 24 hours.

50 Millilumens. Well, how much is that? According to http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/lumpow.html, it's about 5mW for Infrared and higher.  How many millilumens are we talking about here? About 0.7mW... Not a big amount at all, and this is the TOTAL amount of light we're talking - so that's a direct hit... Or *perfect* specular reflection at close range. And they are claiming laser reflection from pigs is causing damage?

Now, I have to admit that I don't know about American pics, other than that they taste different to Aussie pigs, but Aussie pigs don't look like mirrors. In fact, they have a kind of matt finish to them here. Are there any Chrome pigs in the US??? And even if the pig is made of Chrome, we're still taking about a minute of exposure... Might it make a mark on your NOD? Sure. But there should be NO DISCERNABLE DAMAGE... Unless, of course, you got some kind of power supply that doesn't conform to the milspec, like I don't know, nuclear-blast-proof-PSUs or something... Or maybe when their recoil-proof tube fails the black spot isn't "recoil damage" it's "laser damage", I dunno.  

OK, I did kind of gloss over some stuff there, but a pistol laser? Come on, it's not even fixed in the image. Maybe I should add "Standing like a statue, looking at reflection of the laser on a flat section of chrome pig for a period of one minute and one second with a slightly more powerful laser than 5mW..." would exceed that standard. Barely.

Now, bright lights like lasers aren't good for image intensifiers, but I'm not going to start freaking out just because someone flashes an "eyesafe" laser at my NOD. Speaking of which, the above is the "Turned on and Non-gating" safety margin, but what does eyesafe mean anyway?

Well, firstly, eyesafe means that even if the laser was fixed on the retina for an extended period of time, it couldn't delivery enough power to cause damage, because there's not enough heating to cause damage. Image tubes are kind of the same, when not turned on. ( and when turned on, it's about BSP )

Also, it's not 0.7mW at higher IR wavelengths ( eg, around 900nm ) - it's about 1mW that's considered eyesafe... This is because IR wavelengths carry less energy per photon that visible wavelengths. You can even calculate it yourself if you're into lasers - eg, http://prod.sandia.gov/techlib/access-control.cgi/2002/021315.pdf

Now do I really have to do that technical stuff? Not really. Because most military lasers are around 3mW to 5mW ( All less than the magical "5mW" limit ), for up-close work, so I could just work off of that as a guideline, while perhaps considering how many people over the past 30 years have said "Oh crap, I shouldn't have lased that pig, it just destroyed my NOD".... Oh yeah, number of people = zero. Seriously. they don't even get LIFS ( Laser Protection filters ) for NODs to filter the rifle-mounted lasers at all... That's about how concerned the military is about this... But hey, do a google search on "My laser destroyed my night vision"...

Still, sometimes 1mW is a bit too bright for up-close work, even if it's not damaging... And 0.7mW is the same... So how to dull them?
With a Neutral Density Filter... Cost about $20 on ebay...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_density_filter
A NG9 filter will get rid of around 85~90% of the laser's intensity at IR spectral frequencies - http://www.stockoptics.com/media/datasheets/neutraldensity/NG9.pdf - And they come in 12mm dia, by either 1mm or 3mm thick... Perfect for small lasers... And optical grade glass too ( something I am planning on using in an upcoming project ).

Regards
David

View Quote

David, I have not seen any chrome pigs in the US. Maybe one of the more experienced pig hunters can chime in on this elusive beast. Bigfoot I hear has a shiny nose. Wait, that was Rudolf and he was a reindeer. You are killing me here. I am on the floor in knots. Hopefully we won't have to do this again until next year. He seems to get retarded only once a year or so now. Who knows...
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:18:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Actually there are some heavily armored pigs out there, here's proof:

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:44:02 AM EDT
[#16]
It kills me how people on here act like these NOD's are made of glass unicorn shit. These things are TOUGH. Run 'em y'all.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#17]
It's cuz pigs here in the U.S. have a super reflective night vision destroying secret weapon.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:47:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Actually there are some heavily armored pigs out there, here's proof:

http://www.1023clearfm.com/files/pig.jpg

View Quote
HAHA! Skypup where do you find this stuff??

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:54:44 AM EDT
[#19]
LOL

Every good pig deserves a custom coat of arms!
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
LOL

Every good pig deserves a custom coat of arms!
View Quote

Great pic ! That "other " place is like a barrel of monkeys. I don't know how you guys post over their and keep sane.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I saw that thread over at the Hide, it was pretty amusing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No, this fella sells new tubes that can withstand nuclear blasts from all the hype I read. Same guy that said autogating tubes alerted guard dogs (back when he didn't sell autogated tubes). Same guy that said the D series scopes had tape reticles. They have etched glass reticles and I have never heard of a single issue with a D series scope reticle. Now that his friends sell D series scopes they seem to be good pieces of kit. Same guy who bashed Flir because they don't sell Flir products.

It was that guy who now says .7mw IR lasers destroy hundreds of tubes. Why ? To sell the ones that withstand nuclear blasts. He is entertaining to say the least, but very predictable. Not going to mention names. I just don't want guys reading that bull to not go out and enjoy their night vision with awesome IR lasers on a pistol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dino1130 I now know who these blokes are.  I remember those threads here from several years ago, the same chaps all along who who always seemed to be in a bad mood if someone else sold night vision and spoke badly about others it if it were not their own. All the puzzle peieces fell into place with what you were saying and I saw the same people now selling a low power handgun laser modification over there.  I now understand how this works, talk very badly about a system,  in this case shitting on  all the .7mw lasers, telling others if you use it, you risk blowing up night vision units, even though many people were using filters on these already for a cleaner dot.  These lasers were made for rifles to begin with but in my work load, I shoot an ATPIAL on low setting for close in shit just fine and even 25mw and higher and i have never blown night vision out.

Does not laser devices also make a low power IR handgun laser already that has a very low output? I think clasky had one at one of our training shoots, I think it was called a lastac.  I now really understand what this is all about.  Thank you for the history lesson Dino1130, this Ident character bloke needs a lesson of some sort.

Oh, I have to ask you dino1130 please do tell about the guard dogs getting alerted with night vision, what was that all about? These blokes honestly sell this line of shit?  They also say they train SWAT teams across America?  Who and what is their backgrounds that they base this training on blowing night vision up?  Does hog hunting constitute SWAT training?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Dino1130 I now know who these blokes are.  I remember those threads here from several years ago, the same chaps all along who who always seemed to be in a bad mood if someone else sold night vision and spoke badly about others it if it were not their own. All the puzzle peieces fell into place with what you were saying and I saw the same people now selling a low power handgun laser modification over there.  I now understand how this works, talk very badly about a system,  in this case shitting on  all the .7mw lasers, telling others if you use it, you risk blowing up night vision units, even though many people were using filters on these already for a cleaner dot.  These lasers were made for rifles to begin with but in my work load, I shoot an ATPIAL on low setting for close in shit just fine and even 25mw and higher and i have never blown night vision out.

Does not laser devices also make a low power IR handgun laser already that has a very low output? I think clasky had one at one of our training shoots, I think it was called a lastac.  I now really understand what this is all about.  Thank you for the history lesson Dino1130, this Ident character bloke needs a lesson of some sort.

Oh, I have to ask you dino1130 please do tell about the guard dogs getting alerted with night vision, what was that all about? These blokes honestly sell this line of shit?  They also say they train SWAT teams across America?  Who and what is their backgrounds that they base this training on blowing night vision up?  Does hog hunting constitute SWAT training?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad some others finally put the pieces of the puzzle together ! Yes, the old days of the NVF were very much like the wild west. We would draw down daily. TBK1 came along and you either straitened up or he banned you. It was what this forum sorely needed. I straightened my act up as I was not a model either. Now things work as they should. Sometimes I miss those days but in truth we are a model tech forum now under the watchful eye. We seldom even need a moderator now as most things get policed internally before it gets out of control.

TBK1 chimes in once in a while to remind us of our probation status. We all play nice in the sandbox now for the most part.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Been out for a bit, thought I would chime in after my in box and emails blowing up.  

Been using high power IR lasers for many years and REALLY training with them for many years.  We also surround ourselves with real NV trainers with strong SOF backgrounds and we all have never ever ruined a tube from our H.P. lasers.  In fact, one of our Directors as most know Kyle has 18 years as a SF Army puke and also headed up the NV training section of ITT at around 4 years+. (Yea he was the one that got that memo, about a person making phone calls and writings about ITT autogated power supplies alerting enemy guard dogs. I saw the emails circle my desk too from way back when).  He also has never ruined a tube from any of his years using HP lasers, and he has yet to even use a Class 1 system.  He mitigates blooming with IR illumination and NO meaningful degradation of resolution occurs, nor is it an "old school" bad way practice. In fact 99% of all REAL NV trainers use these techniques. In fact, that is the beauty of a modern AG supply, when the NOD dims down, most of the resolution maintains. Now if we're talking non-AG, with standard ABC, indeed you will see resolution degradation.  Heck I used to show pics of this many, years ago.  Need to dig those up some time.

Now .7mW just came about 1.5 years ago with the FDA approving Class 1's at 1mW or below for commercial sales.  Laser manufactures like to use .7mW to insure they don't approach that legal threshold. Laser Devices was the first company to break through the legal mumbo jumbo and set the market on fire a few years ago.  We talked with them for YEARS to get one to market, and their legal persistence finally paid off.  Since that time, a slew of other manufactures jumped on the band wagon. Some good and not so good Class 1's are also in abundance.  We tested them all that are on our web site,  but of course do not carry every brand for our own personal testing reasons.  

There are handgun IR  laser systems out there and the ones we work with, all work in the .1mW -,2mW arena for close in handgun work.  In fact many are about to see more of these short range entries very soon. Hang tight, as MUCH more is about to come down the pipe line that will allow even more versatility.  

Hope this clears up the myths running amok.

Vic Di Cosola
View Quote

Hi Vic,

Great to hear that - it really confirms what everyone was thinking - that none of us have ever heard of this "problem" before it became a marketing tool for questionable sellers - this never was anywhere even close to being an issue and seems well within what tubes are designed to handle.

.1mW ? Perfect :) That would make it much easier to do precise work up-close... TNVC always seems to be ahead of the curve where any new NV technology exists.

I've only started to work with small laser diodes this year and am finding it challenging to source cheap lasers with suitable threshold currents for low-power output, so using filters works for me. But it makes so much more sense to drive the laser at the correct output level than to install filters. Filters really are a poor alternative to just engineering the laser system correctly in the first place.  

Regards

David

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I like the guys that talk shit about "OMFGBLOOM!!!! it's so big you can't hit anything with it!!!!" but will put a 7 MOA MRDS or even a 13 MOA RMR on a pistol.

It doesn't damage the NODs, and it doesn't make the thing any less precise for handgun or rifle engagements at the range where bloom would be an issue.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Glad you mentioned, "perfect".  That's a key point, nothing is ever perfect in the NV world, it's all a compromise. A handgun low power laser is just that, the correct tool for the tool box.  Does that mean a .7mW can still be used for up close, you betcha it can.  Will it bloom a bit, yes it will under 100 yards. Will it burn out ones tube, of course not.

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Been out for a bit, thought I would chime in after my in box and emails blowing up.  

Been using high power IR lasers for many years and REALLY training with them for many years.  We also surround ourselves with real NV trainers with strong SOF backgrounds and we all have never ever ruined a tube from our H.P. lasers.  In fact, one of our Directors as most know Kyle has 18 years as a SF Army puke and also headed up the NV training section of ITT at around 4 years+. (Yea he was the one that got that memo, about a person making phone calls and writings about ITT autogated power supplies alerting enemy guard dogs. I saw the emails circle my desk too from way back when).  He also has never ruined a tube from any of his years using HP lasers, and he has yet to even use a Class 1 system.  He mitigates blooming with IR illumination and NO meaningful degradation of resolution occurs, nor is it an "old school" bad way practice. In fact 99% of all REAL NV trainers use these techniques. In fact, that is the beauty of a modern AG supply, when the NOD dims down, most of the resolution maintains. Now if we're talking non-AG, with standard ABC, indeed you will see resolution degradation.  Heck I used to show pics of this many, years ago.  Need to dig those up some time.

Now .7mW just came about 1.5 years ago with the FDA approving Class 1's at 1mW or below for commercial sales.  Laser manufactures like to use .7mW to insure they don't approach that legal threshold. Laser Devices was the first company to break through the legal mumbo jumbo and set the market on fire a few years ago.  We talked with them for YEARS to get one to market, and their legal persistence finally paid off.  Since that time, a slew of other manufactures jumped on the band wagon. Some good and not so good Class 1's are also in abundance.  We tested them all that are on our web site,  but of course do not carry every brand for our own personal testing reasons.  

There are handgun IR  laser systems out there and the ones we work with, all work in the .1mW -,2mW arena for close in handgun work.  In fact many are about to see more of these short range entries very soon. Hang tight, as MUCH more is about to come down the pipe line that will allow even more versatility.  

Vic Di Cosola

Hi Vic,

Great to hear that - it really confirms what everyone was thinking - that none of us have ever heard of this "problem" before it became a marketing tool for questionable sellers - this never was anywhere even close to being an issue and seems well within what tubes are designed to handle.

.1mW ? Perfect :) That would make it much easier to do precise work up-close... TNVC always seems to be ahead of the curve where any new NV technology exists.

I've only started to work with small laser diodes this year and am finding it challenging to source cheap lasers with suitable threshold currents for low-power output, so using filters works for me. But it makes so much more sense to drive the laser at the correct output level than to install filters. Filters really are a poor alternative to just engineering the laser system correctly in the first place.  

Regards

David

Glad you mentioned, "perfect".  That's a key point, nothing is ever perfect in the NV world, it's all a compromise. A handgun low power laser is just that, the correct tool for the tool box.  Does that mean a .7mW can still be used for up close, you betcha it can.  Will it bloom a bit, yes it will under 100 yards. Will it burn out ones tube, of course not.

Vic

LoL! My bad, I should have used more words - I meant your lineup of different lasers was "perfect", not that 0.1 mW was ideal :) - but you're right about chasing a moving target there - what is ideal for one purpose is insufficient for another. I was thinking that the option for an ultra-low-power laser is very useful for people needing to place shots very accurately at close range, eg, rimfire used for pest control of rats.

I suppose some future lasers will have very adjustable outputs that can be field set or at least modified by the user - I know some of the LDI models have that feature - depending on the pressure pad you install, it changes the function of the laser and different pads are colorcoded for application. (eg, one lead is "eyesafe" while another is full power. )

Regards

David
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#29]
All I know is, we had Izlid 200P's overseas and those didn't damage anyone's stuff.  Obviously we didn't go shining them in each other's faces or anything, but if 200mw didn't damage any of the plethora of 14's and 15's in camp....
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Well now that we bring up nothing is "perfect"...What does one do when the "others" will surely invent the issue that .1mW IR laser power levels are too low, you cannot see your aiming point due to IR illumination, moonlight etc.  The sky will be sure to fall then....

Vic
View Quote

I will sick the guard dogs on them that got alerted from those autogating tubes they were using with those underpowered lasers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well now that we bring up nothing is "perfect"...What does one do when the "others" will surely invent the issue that .1mW IR laser power levels are too low, you cannot see your aiming point due to IR illumination, moonlight etc.  The sky will be sure to fall then....

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic Di Cosola

Hi Vic,

Regards
David

Vic

LoL! My bad, I should have used more words - I meant your lineup of different lasers was "perfect", not that 0.1 mW was ideal :) - but you're right about chasing a moving target there - what is ideal for one purpose is insufficient for another. I was thinking that the option for an ultra-low-power laser is very useful for people needing to place shots very accurately at close range, eg, rimfire used for pest control of rats.

I suppose some future lasers will have very adjustable outputs that can be field set or at least modified by the user - I know some of the LDI models have that feature - depending on the pressure pad you install, it changes the function of the laser and different pads are colorcoded for application. (eg, one lead is "eyesafe" while another is full power. )

Regards
David

Vic

You do the same thing that I do when people claim that PEQ's are used to bring down drones.....you laugh.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
You do the same thing that I do when people claim that PEQ's are used to bring down drones.....you laugh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Regards

David

Vic

Nah, the guys who come up with the crazy ideas to sell their snake oil never touch the same subject twice... People have already had time to learn the truth and will likely spot their strategy a second time, so they come up with something new...

If I had to guess, it will probably be about camouflage paint on NV causing psychological injury ( gotta have black! ) or perhaps X-rays from over-stressed tubes ( Need that new eyepiece filter... )  Maybe something really imaginative such as needing to use counter-clockwise threads so that the shock caused by the rifling in the barrel is countered...

Or hardened against sunspot activity ( Did you know that Sunspots cause image field degradation due to ionic wind and disturbances to the electrostatic field inside the image tube? It results in a 37.3 % degradation of performance caused by harmonic vibration of the un-oxidised cesium atoms in the photocathode. But it can be shielded magnetically with the "Brock Energy Polariser" technology originalled developed by a racing car driver. It makes up for deficiencies in the earth's van-allen belt distribution by the stuff that comes from a bull's arse... Methane I think it is, but it might be something else )

Give them another year to think something up and I'm sure they will. :)

David

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#34]
I compared my standard power AN/PEQ-15 to my DBAL-I2.  Even when using the 25 mW high powered IR laser, I noticed no issues.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Nah, the guys who come up with the crazy ideas to sell their snake oil never touch the same subject twice... People have already had time to learn the truth and will likely spot their strategy a second time, so they come up with something new...

If I had to guess, it will probably be about camouflage paint on NV causing psychological injury ( gotta have black! ) or perhaps X-rays from over-stressed tubes ( Need that new eyepiece filter... )  Maybe something really imaginative such as needing to use counter-clockwise threads so that the shock caused by the rifling in the barrel is countered...

Or hardened against sunspot activity ( Did you know that Sunspots cause image field degradation due to ionic wind and disturbances to the electrostatic field inside the image tube? It results in a 37.3 % degradation of performance caused by harmonic vibration of the un-oxidised cesium atoms in the photocathode. But it can be shielded magnetically with the "Brock Energy Polariser" technology originalled developed by a racing car driver. It makes up for deficiencies in the earth's van-allen belt distribution by the stuff that comes from a bull's arse... Methane I think it is, but it might be something else )

Give them another year to think something up and I'm sure they will. :)

David

View Quote

LMAO ! There really was such a thing as a "Brock energy polarizer ".

" Brock began publicly supporting and, eventually, began to fit to all Holden Dealer Team specials a device called the "Energy Polarizer" containing crystals and magnets that, it was claimed, improved the performance and handling of vehicles through "aligning the molecules"."

I hate posting the link though, it very well may be their next invention.

ETA: We already have super technologies to protect us from sunspots and those pesky un-oxidised cesium atoms harming our photocathodes. This invention has not been improved upon despite several efforts.

Sunspot super atomizer protection for night vision
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 12:06:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Just curious what were you using to film with?  

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I compared my standard power AN/PEQ-15 to my DBAL-I2.  Even when using the 25 mW high powered IR laser, I noticed no issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_8bCmB2_Og

Vic

It was my iPhone 4s.

I had to jerry rig a Daniel Defense rail box with a slit in it to hold my phone, but it works well enough for me.

Link Posted: 10/30/2013 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It was my iPhone 4s.

I had to jerry rig a Daniel Defense rail box with a slit in it to hold my phone, but it works well enough for me.

<a href="http://s61.photobucket.com/user/BrOdBaNd_2006/media/DC8EF558-E897-470B-BB4D-E05AAF51C930-827-000000573C1E95A5_zps7a51e185.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/BrOdBaNd_2006/DC8EF558-E897-470B-BB4D-E05AAF51C930-827-000000573C1E95A5_zps7a51e185.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s61.photobucket.com/user/BrOdBaNd_2006/media/photo6_zpsc8e62160.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/BrOdBaNd_2006/photo6_zpsc8e62160.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

It was my iPhone 4s.

<a href="http://s61.photobucket.com/user/BrOdBaNd_2006/media/DC8EF558-E897-470B-BB4D-E05AAF51C930-827-000000573C1E95A5_zps7a51e185.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/BrOdBaNd_2006/DC8EF558-E897-470B-BB4D-E05AAF51C930-827-000000573C1E95A5_zps7a51e185.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s61.photobucket.com/user/BrOdBaNd_2006/media/photo6_zpsc8e62160.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/BrOdBaNd_2006/photo6_zpsc8e62160.jpg</a>

Now that is a great re-purpose, and disposable too !

Who would have thunk it
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 5:54:17 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

It was my iPhone 4s.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/BrOdBaNd_2006/DC8EF558-E897-470B-BB4D-E05AAF51C930-827-000000573C1E95A5_zps7a51e185.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/BrOdBaNd_2006/photo6_zpsc8e62160.jpg

View Quote
Brilliant!  

CHRIS

Link Posted: 10/30/2013 6:31:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It was my iPhone 4s.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

It was my iPhone 4s.

OK you are my NV hero of the day, that is brilliant, and the video quality was GREAT!!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 6:43:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It was my iPhone 4s.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

It was my iPhone 4s.

You win 100 internets ! Great job !
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Brilliant! Maybe the innovator of this could post a little pictorial how-to so that all of us less clever posters have a quick and easy method to get through-the-tube shots, especially for the sale of used NV. Getting an accurate image tube shot is always hard to get, but always tells a lot.

I'd even rate a well posted tutorial in this technique as worth a pin at the top.

Quoted:

It was my iPhone 4s.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

It was my iPhone 4s.

Link Posted: 10/31/2013 12:48:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Brilliant! Maybe the innovator of this could post a little pictorial how-to so that all of us less clever posters have a quick and easy method to get through-the-tube shots, especially for the sale of used NV. Getting an accurate image tube shot is always hard to get, but always tells a lot.

I'd even rate a well posted tutorial in this technique as worth a pin at the top.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

It was my iPhone 4s.

I think I can work on something to cover that.  It's crazy how simple it is but it works great!  Took literally less than 2 minutes to concoct up.

EDIT

Here is the tutorial:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/410376_.html&page=1
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Regards
David
View Quote

I've never seen that LDI with that capability. I know the NVEC/Nivesys line has that capability. The ATTILLA-200 and VITAL-100 use blue switches for training, and black for "operational useage".

With it's adjustable power aiming laser there's some real space on the market for the VITAL line on the civilian market with a variance, a switch upgrade, and an LED illuminator upgrade.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#46]

I remember talking to them about it at SHOT'12. I'd guess the best way to find out more would be to call one of their resellers such as TNVC and as them if you want to know more?

Regards

David
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top