Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#1]
had  a friend who just received one after the holiday.  It has 01.17.09 firmware.  Any idea when that will be available for others to upgrade?  Any idea on what is changed/fixed?

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The most recent firmware update for the FLR RS series scopes is here:

https://flir.app.box.com/s/zmy968m8zfp9jp5itnr7

The most recent software update to the FLIR RS series scopes is here:

https://flir.app.box.com/s/el20k4b56qei4lqqob3z

There have been a number of updates, including reticule accuracy, image quality improvements, and more new presets that allow you moving to different rifles and keepin POA=POI between rifles.

Be sure to allow the USB driver to install first! It takes a good 2-3 minutes for the USB install, or you'll toast your RS scope and have to send it back, there are instructions in the downloaded zip files for the UI navigator and the upgrade software.

You can check your current firmware version using the UI.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#3]
seems those links still point to the 01.17.08 version and the old tool?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:04:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
seems those links still point to the 01.17.08 version and the old tool?
View Quote

Do you have new links pointing to a newer version and a newer tool?

http://www.flir.com/hunting-outdoor/display/?id=53129
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:27:02 AM EDT
[#5]
nope, I don't have links to the new firmware/software.  

What Dave Risdall told me was the 2.7.2 firmware would have a significant number of additional "knobs" available to adjust image characteristics.  They are also tweaking the brightness/contrast to bring out more of the image.  They weren't finished with the R-Series end user tool, i was hoping your links were for the newest version.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Nope, Dave has not completed the new firmware update yet, when he does, it will show up at the exact same place that I linked to on FLIR's update site like they always do.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#7]
The 01.17.09 firmware is currently being loaded at the factory, along with Tau 2.7.2.  The current End User Tool doesn't have the ability to update the Tau at this point but the software team is working on it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The 01.17.09 firmware is currently being loaded at the factory, along with Tau 2.7.2.  The current End User Tool doesn't have the ability to update the Tau at this point but the software team is working on it.
View Quote

the 2.7.2 firmware does have a number of new knobs at the Tau level, but they most likely won't be accessible to end users.  Flir is attempting to optimize the settings and packaging them into the three user presets.  2.7.2 also fixes a couple Tau 2.7.0 bugs, but no new functionality is being introduced at the top level.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:57:53 AM EDT
[#9]
good info, thanks

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

What improvements does the 01.17.09 bring?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Video of my backyard...with FLIR gear:

http://bcove.me/9qqrkfdg
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Video of my backyard...with FLIR gear:

http://bcove.me/9qqrkfdg
View Quote

Very cool. Thank you for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#13]
That was a nice video SkyPup.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is another one:

http://bcove.me/otwzz5vo
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#15]
They should put some of you guys here on a reality TV show showcasing night hunting techniques.  That's awesome!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They should put some of you guys here on a reality TV show showcasing night hunting techniques.  That's awesome!!
View Quote

Thanks man, here's another!

http://bcove.me/mvyaeaf1
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#17]
FLIRs entire 2015 catalog is here with everything they offer to civilians rom their Personal Vision Systems and Government Systems line:

http://flir.com/uploadedFiles/Hunting-Outdoor/Resources/FLIR_Tactical-Outdoor_Catalog.pdf
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#18]
LOL, all these professional internet thermal post whores and not a single one has picked up on the Zombie Hog yet?

Amazing the detailed analytical thinking going on out there in elsewhere.

Gotta say there are some true slackers here for sure!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Crap now SkyPup is an actor
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Zombie Hog!? I must have missed it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll take a stab.

Is that the same stationary hog in the FLIR product brochure for the Scout II series on page 15, as the one in your videos of your backyard hunting grounds?  That bugger just never goes away it seems.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll leak out the Zombie Thermal Hog details tomorrow in the hopes that some studious knowledgeable experienced thermal hunter picks up on it since it has been sitting right in front of their eyes...

Close but no cigar....
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Had to take a shot at it, He looks, suspicious lol.  To me it looks like he's stuffed, but being heated from something attached to the belly section to make it look like a living target.

Or, you shot the bugger, and quickly put him over a step stool to take the image while he was still warm?  Amiright?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#24]
DAMN YOUR GOOD -> follow up tomorrow!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Not a hunter, but a lot of experience behind thermal imagers.

Can't wait to see the followup and story behind that thing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Here is the intro to the THREMAL ZOMBIE HOG story to be completed tomorrow:  

One of the gang we were guiding was walking in the dark to a tree stand in a dense live oak understory and spotted this boar hog off to the side with the helmet mounted FLIR M-24 and shot it at 150 yards when it crossed the trail using the FLIR RS64-60mm ThermoScope and left it there and climbed up into the 15 foot tree stand.

Fifteen minutes later, up in the stand, he hears some barking and thinks someone's hunting dogs are nearby, but then all hell breaks loose 150 yards from him with yelping, barking, and howling. Looks over through the thermal and a pack of coyotes are attacking his recently deceased hog and trying to drag the carcass off deeper into the woods.

Got down out of tree stand and went to go rescue the hog as the dogs were going wild in the dark. Saw the dogs in the thermal but too dense to shoot. It was all over in about three minutes when he got there and they took off, however this is the damage the coyote pack did to the hog in less than 3 minutes......

Another two minutes and they would have ripped the boar hogs head off!

From this point onward, this boar hog made the transition into a THERMAL ZOMBIE BOAR HOG.  To be continued.....
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:40:31 PM EDT
[#27]
One thing is for sure, that boar hog did not look like that when the weekly FLIR train pulled into the station in my backyard and dropped him off for me to shoot.....
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Okay, the lowdown on the Zombie Hog episode that only the most astute thermal imaging observer, AlmightyTallest, was able to detect with his X-Ray vision is that the ZOMBIE HOG IS A PROP!

Amazing that absolutely no other thermal expert wannbe even detected this thermal scam?

We had been busy for the previous two weeks before this hunt trying to trap hogs in a half dozen different traps so that we would have a few penned live specimens, after all the hard work all we end up with was everything but hogs....so did not have any live hog targets to use for measuring and comparing thermal performance at specified known distances with the various thermal devices.

I had shot three hogs and could not recover them in the deep brush and it was freezing cold and windy, so after the coyotes attacked one of the boars we did recover, we decided we would prop his recently deceased body up on a convenient log stump and use that to record images from the myriad of different devices we had on hand.

Actually it worked out pretty good and was better than using live wild hog specimens since all the exact distances were known and recorded with each different thermal device.

So, next time you see a suspicious hog in someones thermal videos, it just might be another ZOMBIE HOG!!!

Innovative Zombie Hog revealed at last:

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:38:59 AM EDT
[#30]
You can see the Zombie Hog Prop clearly in the videos:

http://www.flir.com/hunting-outdoor/display/?id=62677

Chances are that ZOMBIE HOG will be making more stellar appearances in future thermal videos too.....
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:53:26 AM EDT
[#31]
LOL, that's pretty funny.  I was wondering if you guys were experimenting when I kept seeing the same hog, seems like you were.  Science!!  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
LOL, that's pretty funny.  I was wondering if you guys were experimenting when I kept seeing the same hog, seems like you were.  Science!!  
View Quote

Zombie Hog is taking the lead role and starring in the world's first unprecedented scientific/technical analysis of a dozen different thermal weapon scopes all recorded at the same time, same Hz, same FPS, same magnification, same focus, same recording settings, at the same place, with the same hog, at the same temperature, at the same distance, at the same humidity, at the same lunar equinox.

Wait until you see the results of the highly trained scientific staff testing the null hypothesis that not all thermal weapon scopes are created equally with a 99% Confidence Interval and a p value of 0.001....
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#34]
A new scientific research standard in thermal weapon scopes and scanners has been set and raised the bar to new heights!
Page / 15
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top