Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are thermals illegal in the US anywhere?
View Quote

No, thermals are not illegal anywhere in the US.

You can own and possess a thermal with any 9hz, 30hz, 60hz video frame rate anywhere in the United States that you want.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The new FLIR RS64-60mm top end thermal scope has the new TAU 2.7 Image Enhancements built into the core, this is the latest version of TAU 2.7 firmware.

Also, there is a new FLIR RS-Series thermal scope upgrade enhancement available as of today, it has many excellent features added that owners have been asking for including.

1. Manual Flat Field Calibration Mode - you can now turn off the auto NUC and change it to manual NUC only, in addtion, since the TAU-2 core is shuttered, there is no need to cover the lens with the lens cover when performing a manual NUC. Manual FFC basically disables the auto calibration feature of the scope that normally occurs on a time/temp interval.  In manual mode, the only time a cal happens is when the user does a press-and-release of the power button.  A blue M appears on the display when in manual mode. Many people have asked for this capability and it is included in the new firmware upgrade.

2. User Presets - this is another valuable firmware upgrade that many users have asked for.  The firmware upgrade provides three new user presets that store all scope settings including zero adjustment, reticle style/color, color palette, zoom level, etc. Just set it up the way you want it and save that setup!

It is ThermoSight R-Series Software Update 01.17.08

http://www.flir.com/cvs/americas/en/personalvision/view/?id=53129

ENJOY!

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the update. Will those who haven't received theirs yet have all these updates pre-loaded? Waiting patiently....
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]
You can check what firmware version your TAU2 core is operating with using the FLIR GUI software that you use to upgrade the firmware with.

If you already have the latest update listed on the FLIR Personal Vision Systems RS Thermal Scope link, there is no reason to re-update to the same firmware.....
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 12:05:25 AM EDT
[#5]
So i think I am going to forget the night vision and just jump straight to thermal. Which scope would you recommend. It will be used a few times a month at the ranch when I feel like blasting some hogs. Longest shot will be maybe 150 yards.

Will the RS32 35mm be sufficient?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 12:13:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So i think I am going to forget the night vision and just jump straight to thermal. Which scope would you recommend. It will be used a few times a month at the ranch when I feel like blasting some hogs. Longest shot will be maybe 150 yards.

View Quote

Yes, it will target out 250+ yards, either that or the RS64-35mm would be great for more FOV, resolution and ability to make positive ID but costs more. Both the RS32 and RS64 have about the same target range, FOV and resolution is different through.

The RS32-19 will give a much wider FOV and target out 150 +yards as well. Might need NV for pos ID though....
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I cannot stress the importance of PID and for the range you're talking about to engage, the RR32 35MM is the bare minimum. I would look seriously at the 640 as well. It seems true ID is often overlooked at times with these thermal devices. When you start to ditch NV altogether,  it's ultra critical to have the right thermal for your specific max range to ID at.

Vic
View Quote

Words of Wisdom above.  The results from lack of PID can vary from tragic to expensive.  More than a few cases of shooting other hunters due to non PID are out there.  A student in a recent class told a story of accidentally shooting a ranchers calf during a night hog hunt which cost him big $$, some very hard feelings, and all of his credibility.  Hunters beware.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#9]
True Dat!
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Those people have no business cutting in front of my speeding bullets anyway, so... that'll learn 'em.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Words of Wisdom above.  The results from lack of PID can vary from tragic to expensive.  More than a few cases of shooting other hunters due to non PID are out there.  A student in a recent class told a story of accidentally shooting a ranchers calf during a night hog hunt which cost him big $$, some very hard feelings, and all of his credibility.  Hunters beware.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cannot stress the importance of PID and for the range you're talking about to engage, the RR32 35MM is the bare minimum. I would look seriously at the 640 as well. It seems true ID is often overlooked at times with these thermal devices. When you start to ditch NV altogether,  it's ultra critical to have the right thermal for your specific max range to ID at.

Vic

fortunately for us, there are no cows on our ranch and anyone roaming around there at night that isn't with us is trespassing and will probably be shot either way.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:59:00 PM EDT
[#12]
This new firmware update has some great features that many asked for months ago.

FLIR is constantly working on upgrading and improving your equipment for you and the TAU 2.7 image improvements will be next in line, they are already incorporated into their recently released RS64-60mm long range big boy thermal, so if you get a chance to look though one of those you will know what I am talking about.

The three user presets is very handy for moving around to different rifles and saving your best "sweet" spots for instant use.

Also, that manual NUC without having to cover the germanium lens eliminates the automatic NUC so it will never interfere with your shooting. Just put it on manual with the blue square and you can hold down the power button to perform a manual NUC whenever you feel like it with zero possibility of one occurring while your are squeezing the trigger on a targeted hog or coyote.

I think it is great to have these new update developments so easy to install and use in the RS thermal scopes.

Nice kit no matter how you look at it, it is always improving and getting better!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:43:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't mind the auto NUC so much.  It warns you when it's going to happen, and when I've had a coyote coming close, I just manually NUC it, so it doesn't want to auto cal when I'm about to break my shot.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#14]
With this new update, you have the option to leave it in auto NUC mode, or change it over to manual if you want to, you can still use both whenever you want to.

How about the three presets, are they helpful?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
With this new update, you have the option to leave it in auto NUC mode, or change it over to manual if you want to, you can still use both whenever you want to.

View Quote

Yes this is what I was waiting for since I run both subsonics and full power 308 in my AR10. It will also allow for a second gun to be zeroed.

My software update was uneventful this time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes this is what I was waiting for since I run both subsonics and full power 308 in my AR10. It will also allow for a second gun to be zeroed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, glad to hear it did not crash and that you appreciate the update!

Have you gotten any thermal video out of your .308s yet? Would be interested in seeing same, you have to make sure the video connections are tight with a .308 as the recoil may interfere with the video signal transfer...

I am working on some video with the .308 and the FLIR T-75....
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Have you gotten any thermal video out of your .308s yet? Would be interested in seeing same, you have to make sure the video connections are tight with a .308 as the recoil may interfere with the video signal transfer...

I am working on some video with the .308 and the FLIR T-75....
View Quote

I don't have a video recorder so no videos from me. It was a real hoot shooting subs at night with a silencer, you can clearly see stuff splatter on impact using the FLIR, including a jack rabbit. Bullet impact is by far the loudest sound.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, I know, sounds like a sledgehammer hitting a tree trunk.....
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Its going to be very helpful for me, as I plan to zero it on my 22LR running subsonics.  I'll keep my AR for longer range work, but having the 22 for close in stuff will be nice
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I need a suppressed .22 with a FLIR thermal on it myself!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

its going to be rather comical.  

$200 rifle
$500 can
$6500 FLIR

dead rabbits - with no one the wiser - priceless
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nice!  You got off cheap on the rifle as I've seen some ridiculous accurized priced .22 rimfires.  

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

its going to be rather comical.  

$200 rifle
$500 can
$6500 FLIR

dead rabbits - with no one the wiser - priceless

Nice!  You got off cheap on the rifle as I've seen some ridiculous accurized priced .22 rimfires.  

Vic

This is a nothing to write home about Remington 597 I'm going to use as the host.  Its not horribly accurate, but I only need it to be minute of bunny to about 50 yards.  I wanted to use my savage bolt action (which is STUPID quiet with subsonics), but the damn bolt hits the flir when you work the action.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

That probably gets more use by me than anything else. Hunting is one of those things where sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But, it never fails, I can drive around all night with a suppressed .22 with a thermal and kill countless coons, opossums, skunks, cats, dillos, etc. It's just too much fun to not do it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Internally suppressed Ruger 10-22 with picatinny rail is the way to roll....even with high velocity you cannot hear more than the firing pin hit the case,
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Vic

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, it will target out 250+ yards, either that or the RS64-35mm would be great for more FOV, resolution and ability to make positive ID but costs more. Both the RS32 and RS64 have about the same target range, FOV and resolution is different through.

The RS32-19 will give a much wider FOV and target out 150 +yards  thas well. Might need NV for pos ID though....

Vic

I'm going to second this as well.

BE CAREFUL THERMAL.  It takes a few hours behind the scope to really let your brain adjust to what it is seeing.  Even after years of use, I still have trouble judging distances and still have to observe animals for a long time or with alternate methods before I can call PID.

The worst is a deer standing in tall grass with his head down.  Looks exactly like a pig.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That probably gets more use by me than anything else. Hunting is one of those things where sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But, it never fails, I can drive around all night with a suppressed .22 with a thermal and kill countless coons, opossums, skunks, cats, dillos, etc. It's just too much fun to not do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy crap, dude! Why hate on cats?! And Dillos?! You can walk up to them and knock on their back. That's like "here kitteh, kitteh, kitteh. Meow! Purr, rub, rub, BANG!"

Cruel bass turd.  

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Internally suppressed Ruger 10-22 with picatinny rail is the way to roll....even with high velocity you cannot hear more than the firing pin hit the case,
View Quote

I'm seriously debating buying one of these in the next year or so, and using the FLIR on it for short range work.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'm seriously debating buying one of these in the next year or so, and using the FLIR on it for short range work.

http://www.specialinterestarms.com/100_6673.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.specialinterestarms.com/100_6673.JPG

That's a cute curvy little European bolt handle on that Enfield...........Do they sell panty hose and purses at the same store?

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

So many stories and I dare to start a poll on hunters who thought they shot at something it was not...At least no names would be used and the community could be honest about this serous problem that exists due to other companies never talking about this aspect, except for the "sell".

Edit, yep I get all the PM's and emails, "hey Vic how you gonna keep selling thermal with all the negative remarks"?  Not really negative, but the truth about the matter.....Thermal can do wonders, for what it was designed for and is complemented with NV (and vice/versa) for the safest shooting engagements.
View Quote

I love thermal for what it gives you.  I'll also be the first to agree with the above, thermal is not the best for ID'ing targets.  When I'm out night hunting, I operate with a friend who is using an AR with a PVS-22 mounted, and a pretty powerful IR light.  Before I break a shot, I have him ID the target.  Avoids major problems that way.

I think anyone else using thermal should adopt a similar approach, or if suitable NV gear isn't present, spotlight the target right before taking the shot.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#34]
My suppressed .22lr, and it's RS32-35mm from TNVC

$50.00 for the rifle (out of my brother-in-laws estate)
$375.00 for the can
$200 to Uncle Sam for the Stamp
$4500 for the FLIR from Vic

</a>Nylon 66 FLIR 04" />
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I love thermal for what it gives you.  I'll also be the first to agree with the above, thermal is not the best for ID'ing targets.  When I'm out night hunting, I operate with a friend who is using an AR with a PVS-22 mounted, and a pretty powerful IR light.  Before I break a shot, I have him ID the target.  Avoids major problems that way.

I think anyone else using thermal should adopt a similar approach, or if suitable NV gear isn't present, spotlight the target right before taking the shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So many stories and I dare to start a poll on hunters who thought they shot at something it was not...At least no names would be used and the community could be honest about this serous problem that exists due to other companies never talking about this aspect, except for the "sell".

Edit, yep I get all the PM's and emails, "hey Vic how you gonna keep selling thermal with all the negative remarks"?  Not really negative, but the truth about the matter.....Thermal can do wonders, for what it was designed for and is complemented with NV (and vice/versa) for the safest shooting engagements.

I've had issues PID on critters with thermal. I eradicate vermin that ply their trade at night. But sometimes one of the wife's beloved rabbits looks like a 'coon or a feral cat if they are head to tail or vise versa. Since I'm in heavily wooded area, NOD will not work without some sore of IR help. That's just out of my budget, so I keep a 3 cell flashlight with a led head and give the target a quick blip.
Does the trick, and 95% of the time they just wait for their night time sleeping pill.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is no different than preaching safe firearms use.  Misuse of firearms can/has resulted in dire consequences.  Misuse of NVG can/has as well.  I love the thermal and I2 gear I have.  Respect comes in knowing what it is capable of and what its limitations are.  It is still capable of amazing things.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Ditto on the ranging issue at night. Sat night I shot a pig with my RS64-35 on 2x I thought was a medium sized one at 100 yards, an offhand shot, but it turned out to be a huge pig at around 200 yards. It squealed and spun in circles at the shot, but ran into thick cover full of vines, briars, and thorns where I could not see 10 feet, and I did not recover it. Wasted a lot of bratwurst. I wish there were some hashmarks on the reticle. In the meantime I am going to experiment/practice at the range using the thin portion of the duplex to use for range estimation.

I keep forgetting to turn the damn MDVR on when I get on a pig. I need to slave it to the safety so it comes on whenever I go hot. Plus I forgot my dang trigger stick tripod in the truck - again.  I keep getting "pig fever".

Hunting pigs at night with thermal is totally addicting. Can't wait for cooler weather.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I keep forgetting to turn the damn MDVR on when I get on a pig. I need to slave it to the safety so it comes on whenever I go hot. Plus I forgot my dang trigger stick tripod in the truck - again.  I keep getting "pig fever".

View Quote

Do yourself a favor and buy a 16 Gig card.  Set the recorder to record in 5 or 10 min segments.  Leave the recorder on pretty much all the time.  The next day you find the good segments and throw out the rest.

Also, here's a fun game to play:

Before you review the video, try and remember the events during the shooting session.  How many shots did you fire, which ones did you think hit, which pigs ran where etc.  You will be surprised how wrong you are when you view the video. Your brain goes into overdrive with tracking targets, aiming, deciding if it safe to shoot again, or swing more to the left or right, and keeping track of where you hunting partner might be.  Not much time left for storing in the ole memory bank.  :D
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

Vic -

The anonymous poll would never really be anonymous if tied to the Internet but if you do set one of these up may I request an entry that says

"You spotted something with thermal and setup for a shot only to realize it was an inanimate object"

I am finding that the learning curve of using thermal is steeper with regards to reconciling inanimate objects that you wouldn't expect to register as hot, especially after the sun goes down many hours before the hunt.  This to me is a completely separate play on Detection/Recognition/Identification.

I have video recorded from this past weekend - range to target was 60 yards -

The initial scan and DETECT was with a 2.1x handheld thermal monocular.  "Boy oh Boy" I thought to myself - the pig is right by the corn I had strategically laid out in a clearing just by a brush line.  So I setup the 2.1x on a tripod to record from a static position, I get my rifle with a thermal weapon sight and start both recorders and some minutes later I take a position to make a shot.

Gun SAFETY is still on.

I calibrate the riflescope, I clear wires from the area, and I settle in, gun SAFETY is still on.

Adjust manual focus, control breathing and steady myself on the target.  With 5x thermal I was able to ID that it was a big ass rock in the shape of a pig near my corn.

Funny thing is, during the daytime, I never realized a rock was there so in essence what was missing from this scenario was RECOGNITION.

Oh SAFETY still on.

So point to the story is this: if you click off the gun safety with intent to squeeze a trigger you have better accounted for all three in the foreground and background of the target.  This should be the thermal hunter's motto all-day, everyday.

Your other points about selling thermal and marketing thermal and other companies business practices ... well my opinion is that you aren't going to be able to change any of that for the civilian market and more importantly control of whose hands it ultimately ends up in (son, grandson, friend, brother) isn't able to be controlled so therefore back to the hunter's motto regardless of who supplies the unit or it is bought from.

HTXH
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

The new FLIR RS64-60mm top end thermal scope has the new TAU 2.7 Image Enhancements built into the core, this is the latest version of TAU 2.7 firmware.

Also, there is a new FLIR RS-Series thermal scope upgrade enhancement available as of today, it has many excellent features added that owners have been asking for including.

1. Manual Flat Field Calibration Mode - you can now turn off the auto NUC and change it to manual NUC only, in addtion, since the TAU-2 core is shuttered, there is no need to cover the lens with the lens cover when performing a manual NUC. Manual FFC basically disables the auto calibration feature of the scope that normally occurs on a time/temp interval.  In manual mode, the only time a cal happens is when the user does a press-and-release of the power button.  A blue M appears on the display when in manual mode. Many people have asked for this capability and it is included in the new firmware upgrade.

2. User Presets - this is another valuable firmware upgrade that many users have asked for.  The firmware upgrade provides three new user presets that store all scope settings including zero adjustment, reticle style/color, color palette, zoom level, etc. Just set it up the way you want it and save that setup!

It is ThermoSight R-Series Software Update 01.17.08

ENJOY!

View Quote
Skypup, I have done the firmware update but cannot figure out how to switch the NUC to manual.  What is the procedure please sir? The user presets are S1, S2, S3.  in advanced settings correct?  

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Got mine today... my first foray into Thermal, much less night vision. All I can say is WOW! If you are just using this for hunting, you are missing out. I think I'll save enough on energy bills, over time, using this to scan for hot spots in my house to pay for it. Thanks FLIR and TNVC!

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#44]
I you are a registered owner of Flir's RS ThermoSight and have registered for the extended warranty on your scope, you probably received their email today about their rebate on their RS-60mm scope this month.

You do have to purchase the RS-60mm through one of their authorized dealers, who are listed here:

http://www.flir.com/thermoSightR-Series/dealers.html
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

This has been a great and informative thread and I have been reading/lurking on it as I decide which scope to get.

@SkyPup - is the TAU 2.7 something new for the 60mm or have all the 60mm had this?  Just want to see before ordering if there is a chance there was a hardware refresh and I should be concerned about new or old stocked items at the dealers

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#46]
The TAU 2.7 is newest version and all of the 60mm RS scopes have it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:47:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is there any word when this firmware will trickle down to the non 60mm models?  I've been fighting some bad contrast blooming issues with my rs64-35 and am hoping the next firmware will address it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:51:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Yes there is, everyone who owns a Flir will be real happy to be a genuine Flir owner with all their thermal gear getting the upgrade to latest 2.7 firmware drivers.

Soon all the older TAU 2.6 models released prior to the TAU 2.7 revision in June 2014 will be getting a firmware update to the new 2.7 revision, this includes all RS scopes and PS/LS handheld scanners, final changes to the update are in progress and will be posted onto Flir's Personal Vision Resources Consumer site when completed.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Aer there any details on the improvement we can expect from the update?
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top