Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:57:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone with a computer, internet hookup, and a browser can read all about it yourself right here on FLIR's site and find out all of what I know about it themselves:

FLIR Tau Feature Comparison

See the evolution of features in FLIR's Tau LWIR uncooled camera cores. Please note that Tau 2.7 is the only version currently shipping after June 2014 unless a contract for a previous version has already been signed.

http://www.flir.com/cvs/cores/view/?id=60983

As is specifically mentioned, the new Tau 2.7 upgrade includes the Active Contrast Enhancement (ACE), Direct Digital Enhancement (DDE) and the Smart Scene Optimization (SSO) as well as other image improvements to the firmware....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXShr8QGZoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNbm3z9GcKk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND7EBXl4m1U

All FLIR Tau2 sold after June 2014 have the 2.7 version firmware upgrade.....
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:25:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone with a computer, internet hookup, and a browser can read all about it yourself right here on FLIR's site and find out all of what I know about it themselves:

FLIR Tau Feature Comparison

See the evolution of features in FLIR's Tau LWIR uncooled camera cores. Please note that Tau 2.7 is the only version currently shipping after June 2014 unless a contract for a previous version has already been signed.

http://www.flir.com/cvs/cores/view/?id=60983

As is specifically mentioned, the new Tau 2.7 upgrade includes the Active Contrast Enhancement (ACE), Direct Digital Enhancement (DDE) and the Smart Scene Optimization (SSO) as well as other image improvements to the firmware....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXShr8QGZoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNbm3z9GcKk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND7EBXl4m1U

All FLIR Tau2 sold after June 2014 have the 2.7 version firmware upgrade.....
View Quote

Is this firmware update available for the T-70 as well?  How would I go about sending mine in, if that's the case?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#3]
NO, FLIR Government Systems that produces the military hardened thermals is a completely different entity than FLIR Personal Systems that produces the commercial civilian thermals.

There are no downloadable user installed firmware updates on FLIR thermal/NV military instruments. Whatever firmware improvements are made over the design lifetime of the instrument would be made specifically at the FLIR GS factory under restricted controlled military conditions.

If your instrument requires a firmware upgrade, you would have to contact them directly about it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#4]
That's great that the firmware update will be for the LS monocular also. Myself I have no issues with my LS-64 or RS-64 as they are now.  Any upgrade from current will be icing on the cake.  I am the only one in our hog elimination circle that bought FLIR , I have used all my friends equiptment and I would still buy the FLIR stuff given the chance to do it over. The only thing I would change would be to have bought the 60mm version I originally ordered day 1.  I ended up going with the 640 35mm. However, after using a 60mm version, the field of view loss IMO is not a reason to not go with the 60mm lens unless you hunt in a room clearing scenario. For comparison the 60mm unit still has a larger field of view than a typical mid to high powered variable day scope turned down on low power.

ETA: scope comparison
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#5]
The FLIR Personal Systems Firmware Upgrades also do not work on various other aftermarket manufacturers thermal devices that use OEM FLIR thermal microbolometers in their particular brands products.

The FLIR firmware upgrades only work on genuine FLIR Personal Vision Systems products.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's great that the firmware update will be for the LS monocular also. Myself I have no issues with my LS-64 or RS-64 as they are now.  Any upgrade from current will be icing on the cake.  I am the only one in our hog elimination circle that bought FLIR , I have used all my friends equiptment and I would still buy the FLIR stuff given the chance to do it over. The only thing I would change would be to have bought the 60mm version I originally ordered day 1.  I ended up going with the 640 35mm. However, after using a 60mm version, the field of view loss IMO is not a reason to not go with the 60mm lens unless you hunt in a room clearing scenario. For comparison the 60mm unit still has a larger field of view than a typical mid to high powered variable day scope turned down on low power.

ETA: scope comparison
View Quote

I tried the RS64-60mm myself and it was too much for me, charging coyotes and hogs are dangerous and could not be tracked with the larger lens more suited for longer ranges, for my kind of swamp hunting the RS64-35mm is primo.

I only buy genuine FLIR products myself since I use them virtually every night of every week of every month all year long for years to come.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#7]
If I had the money, I would of gone with the 60mm, I'm discovering that out here there are some chances for fairly long range (300yard +) shots.  I'm often using 8x zoom at times on my 35mm.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If I had the money, I would of gone with the 60mm, I'm discovering that out here there are some chances for fairly long range (300yard +) shots.  I'm often using 8x zoom at times on my 35mm.

View Quote
I find the same thing, even in open country I am typically run 2x zoom as standard with no FOV issues. My opinion is that if you have opportunity at 100 yards or more 50% of the time go 60mm. When I was using the 60mm 30-40 yards was still plenty of FOV, for my tastes anyway. As I said earlier it still has more FOV then most day scopes on low power.  

ETA: afterthought
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#10]
a 17pitch core with a 60mm lens is close to 20/20 vision.

I would not go with anything less then 60mm. I ended up with a 75mm and like it.

I have handhelds for scanning, with plenty of fov, but don't work worth a darn for visual ID.
UN-snap the scope off the rifle and visual ID with the 75mm out to several hundred yards no problem.

As you can see flir left a lot of meat on the bone with sub par firmware, now they are starting to compete with what others have been doing with their cores all along.

The video of the new firmware has always been possible, just was not done. I am glad to see some better tickling of the keyboards by flir software engineers to improve on images (keep in mind what works in the desert will more then likely not work in humid areas as well).
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Actually, the 0.5X WFOV on the Flir T-70 military thermal scopes is even much much better for what we do all the time, 1.0X is a bust compared to that!
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
NO, FLIR Government Systems that produces the military hardened thermals is a completely different entity than FLIR Personal Systems that produces the commercial civilian thermals.

There are no downloadable user installed firmware updates on FLIR thermal/NV military instruments. Whatever firmware improvements are made over the design lifetime of the instrument would be made specifically at the FLIR GS factory under restricted controlled military conditions.

If your instrument requires a firmware upgrade, you would have to contact them directly about it.
View Quote

I will give FLIR Government Systems a call and find out about it though.

Both of my T-70's are Revision 1 firmware and most likely there has been a firmware upgrade since they both have low serial numbers manufactured prior to the TAU 2.7 upgrade in June, 2014, but it would require shipping the instrument back to the GS military production factory.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#13]
The RS64-60mm does work real good on long range sniper shots with a 7mm Rem Mag though.....

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for the RS64-35.  Once the first shot breaks you'll appreciate the larger FOV over the 60.  It is much the same as using a 4x fixed scope punching paper at 100 yards on a bench rest vs using a red dot to hit targets off hand.  The narrow FOV makes a big difference after the 1st careful shot in the real world.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Another vote for the RS64-35.  Once the first shot breaks you'll appreciate the larger FOV over the 60.  It is much the same as using a 4x fixed scope punching paper at 100 yards on a bench rest vs using a red dot to hit targets off hand.  The narrow FOV makes a big difference after the 1st careful shot in the real world.
View Quote
As far as real world I have to respectfully disagree.  As I said earlier I run my 35mm at 2x typically and FOV in real shoots on running hogs is not a problem. Never when I was able to use the 60mm version did I want for more FOV on secondary running targets in the 30-50 yard range.  I shot a substantial number of pigs that night with the 60mm (over 10) and I felt it was superior to my 35mm version, obviously YMMV.

ETA: clarification, I feel the long range detection and recognition abilities of the 60mm version outweigh the FOV loss disadvantages at close range.  This is why I say the 60mm is a superior real world unit. Withstanding you are not hunting as I said "in a room clearing scenario" in which case the 35mm would be a better option.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#17]
If we only had a zoom germanium lens that didn't cost more than a car......
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#18]
175-225 yards is the maximum I normally shoot at with a 5.56mm in the woods and swamps, more often than not it is 1/2 to 1/4 that distance, the RS64-35mm covers all that quite nicely thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpH6W8RjyYo
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Actually, the 0.5X WFOV on the Flir T-70 military thermal scopes is even much much better for what we do all the time, 1.0X is a bust compared to that!
View Quote

But you stick a 1.5x optic behind it -- what does that do for FOV?

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If we only had a zoom germanium lens that didn't cost more than a car......
View Quote

+1  select the FOV of your choice
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#21]
It makes it 0.75X = Sweet!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#22]
With the .5x and the variable magnification from day optic that is sweet as well
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
With the .5x and the variable magnification from day optic that is sweet as well
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Skypup - I am curious if you can comment on durability of these units.  I see they are shock resistant up to .30 cal and water proof.  

What about accidental drops to hard surfaces - i.e. rifle gets pushed off bed of a truck, or other similar "drop" type scenarios.

thanks
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Dropping is never a good idea but I have dropped mine off the back of the pickup truck in the carport and watched it bounce on the concrete deck more than once....OUCH!

Also, it appears to take 7mm Rem Mag recoil without a problem although my shoulder sure did suffer!

I certainly don't endorse bouncing it on concrete or using it on a 7mm Rem Mag with handloads, but it did not do any damage so far.....

The most sensitive part of the thermal is the lens, germanium does crack and chip, so I would pay more attention to that myself and protect it the best you can.

Other than that, they are well built units with a great warranty and service.

If you want maximum recoil and shock resistance, a mil-spec hardened FLIR GS thermal instrument like the T-50, T-60, T-70, T-75 meets all mil-spec requirements and is recoil resistant up to .50 Browning BMG:

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#27]
There will be allot of these FLIR RS scopes under the Christmas tree this year.......

My favorite all around general purpose easy to use is the RS64-35mm.

Two wives I know have gotten their husbands each one for Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dropping is never a good idea but I have dropped mine off the back of the pickup truck in the carport and watched it bounce on the concrete deck more than once....OUCH!

Also, it appears to take 7mm Rem Mag recoil without a problem although my shoulder sure did suffer!

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20RS/RS64%20Ruger/RS64%20Ruger.jpg

I certainly don't endorse bouncing it on concrete or using it on a 7mm Rem Mag with handloads, but it did not do any damage so far.....

The most sensitive part of the thermal is the lens, germanium does crack and chip, so I would pay more attention to that myself and protect it the best you can.

Other than that, they are well built units with a great warranty and service.

If you want maximum recoil and shock resistance, a mil-spec hardened FLIR GS thermal instrument like the T-50, T-60, T-70, T-75 meets all mil-spec requirements and is recoil resistant up to .50 Browning BMG:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T75/308/T-75%20SIG%20716%20Full%20Right%20Side.jpg
View Quote

Thanks Skypup.  I am still making my final decision on getting one of these and wanted to know the durability factor - sorry to hear you dropped yours, but god to see it stand up!  I see most Flir products have environment ratings which include typically a 1-2m "drop" as being okay (including the LS which says  "Drop Operational after 1 m drop onto concrete"  - http://www.flir.com/cs/emea/en/view/?id=57579 ) Just could not find anything on the RS series like this.  Is it safe to assume its likely the same?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#29]
The RS case is similar to the the PS/LS series of hand-helds.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:12:09 AM EDT
[#30]
What is the deal with the scene presets?

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:26:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The Current Pre-sets change the Automatic Gain Control Region Of Interest; for S1, S2 & S3 they have distinct Regions of Interest.

The AGC is applied over the Region of Interest, ignoring any heat signatures (like the sky) outside of this area when AGC is calculated.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question,
What does the scene presets adjust? When I scroll thru the settings on my RS64 I don't see much if any change in the image. I have it at setting 1 and ignore this function.

I for one would love to change this to be user presets that include custom POI for different guns, ammo or with/without a silencer.
Pretty please FLIR

The
Scene Presets
option allows the user to toggle the camera through a range of three different settings which affect the image brightness and contrast. The current setting (S1, S2, S3) is indicated at the bottom of the image. Use the Zoom In (+) and Zoom Out (-) buttons to find the setting which is preferred for a given situation. The preferred setting will vary, depending on time of day, weather conditions, and so on. In most situations the S1 setting will be preferred, but under certain conditions the other settings may provide an improved image based on user preferences

The Current Pre-sets change the Automatic Gain Control Region Of Interest; for S1, S2 & S3 they have distinct Regions of Interest.

The AGC is applied over the Region of Interest, ignoring any heat signatures (like the sky) outside of this area when AGC is calculated.

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#32]
The rs64 60mm. Objective lens is focusable
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The rs64 60mm. Objective lens is focusable
View Quote

Ah Ha!

So now ya know!!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm not a fan of the auto gain.  It still does wierd stuff.

Once I got it focused, I would pan down the street and the scene would switch from detailed to a flat gray.

It would do that in all the presets.  

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's because there is too much cigar smoke in the way!

View Quote

Lol.  The funny thing is that I was told that the 60mm doesn't have a focusable objective lens.   So I have been tryng to figure out why I couldn't see anything.

The objective lens is so tight it isn't apparent that it is focusable.  I know. It doesn't make much sense. The manual . . Yes, I read it. . Didn't mention the obvious which isn't so obvious.

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:29:48 AM EDT
[#37]
I have the RS32 35mm and was wondering how do I tell if I have the latest version of the GUI software or the latest software update?
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:47:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Download the Graphic User Interface (GUI) and check the serial number, firmware, software, etc on your scope.

Be absolutely certain to allow the USB installer to complete before proceeding with any upgrades, it can take 2-3 minutes and you must wait until the USB installer is completed before proceeding or you will wipe out your firmware.

More information is in the README sections of the downloads.....

The most recent firmware update for the FLR RS series scopes is here:

https://flir.app.box.com/s/zmy968m8zfp9jp5itnr7

The most recent software update to the FLIR RS series scopes is here:

https://flir.app.box.com/s/el20k4b56qei4lqqob3z
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 2:19:49 AM EDT
[#39]
If you just want to know what version is on the scope, it is displayed briefly after the power-up splash screen in the upper left corner. Mine shows 01.17.08, the latest. But you should def get the SW linked by skypup installed so you can update the scope when new versions are released. If you don't have 01.17.08, you will want to upgrade, because the latest has finer zeroing clicks and storage for 4 zero setups, and bug fixes.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If you just want to know what version is on the scope, it is displayed briefly after the power-up splash screen in the upper left corner. Mine shows 01.17.08, the latest. But you should def get the SW linked by skypup installed so you can update the scope when new versions are released. If you don't have 01.17.08, you will want to upgrade, because the latest has finer zeroing clicks and storage for 4 zero setups, and bug fixes.
View Quote

I thought it was three zero set points?
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#41]
When you install the GUI software on your computer and hook up your scope to it after the USB install, there is an information page that displays all the pertinent information regarding the current installations, serial number, etc. of your instrument.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I just checked.  I have 01.17.08
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

When you install the GUI software on your computer and hook up your scope to it after the USB install, there is an information page that displays all the pertinent information regarding the current installations, serial number, etc. of your instrument.
View Quote
SKYPUP any word on the update for the RS and LS units you were talking about several months back?

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Yes, they are still working on it but most have been on vacation the past few weeks.

When it becomes available, there will be a direct link to FLIR to download it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks Sky, I have the latest version, there is nothing else I need to do at this point correct?  Is it normal to see the reticle shift slightly when zooming in or out?
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thanks Sky, I have the latest version, there is nothing else I need to do at this point correct?  Is it normal to see the reticle shift slightly when zooming in or out?
View Quote

The reticule SHOULD shift when zooming in or out, otherwise something is wrong as every change in magnification changes the POI, which is why the reticule SHOULD shift to reflect the changing POI....
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 12:17:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The reticule SHOULD shift when zooming in or out, otherwise something is wrong as every change in magnification changes the POI, which is why the reticule SHOULD shift to reflect the changing POI....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I assumed, just confirming, thanks man.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#48]
If anyone has a 60mm model with an objective lens that is too tight to operate, FLIR will fix it.  All 60mm units currently shipping have a more "reasonable" tension on the focus mechanism.

As to reticle shift, the scope is attempting to shift the crosshairs back to the center of the image when zoom is activated.  Zero is still maintained at all levels of zoom.

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If anyone has a 60mm model with an objective lens that is too tight to operate, FLIR will fix it.  All 60mm units currently shipping have a more "reasonable" tension on the focus mechanism.

As to reticle shift, the scope is attempting to shift the crosshairs back to the center of the image when zoom is activated.  Zero is still maintained at all levels of zoom.

View Quote

This is why I thought the objective lens was fixed focus.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#50]
It is stiff, but it does not get knackered any.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top