[#1]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:47:17 AM EDT
[#2]

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Got to ask, whats up with BUIS? Does that rear sight adjust down low enough to actually zero at less than 2000 yard?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Yeah sorry, but I don't understand the thought process behind the riser. Are you a giraffe? What's with the KAC rear being so high as well?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:42:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#7]
I knew there would be some questions on this.  

A couple points:

The rifle is a work in progress (it should eventually have a more proper lower, among other things), but it's intended as a demonstrator gun, so many of the details of the configuration are specific to the what the rifle is intended to be used for.  If you think you know what any of those things are, I would ask that you kindly refrain from asking or speculating much more than that at the current moment, I would appreciate if the discussion could be kept technical.  I'm not deliberately trying to be a cryptic asshole about it, so I apologize if I'm coming off that way - but I thought it would be nice to share what things I could.  If there's something I can't or won't respond to, I just won't.  So please take that for what it is.  

That's all I have to say on that.  

So with that said, what I will say is that the configuration of the BUIS/riser/optic is... documented, in that exact configuration.  

Yes, it renders the BUIS non-functional, they are essentially cosmetic props at the moment, but those of you who are familiar with my other rifles know that I don't usually use BUIS anyways to begin with, so it doesn't really hurt my feelings.  That being said, the rear sight really needs to be a Micro, which I'm working on getting, but I managed to get my hands on a standard 200-600m, so it's what's on there now until I can get the correct part.  

Of course, though documented, it's not exactly how the Wilcox riser pictured is "intended" to be used.  The full kit comes with a small riser for the front sight as well so that both BUIS can be mounted on risers, and be functional.  Again, those who are familiar with my buying habits can probably predict that I got a great deal on the riser, used... but it didn't come with the front sight riser, nor the matching Wilcox flip mount, which is currently a very high priority target for me.  Like most of the "great deals" I end up stumbling across, my one "great deal" is probably going to end up costing me far more money than I saved.    I am planning to get the matching front sight riser eventually as well, but it's a much lower priority than the flip mount.      

As for the optic height...

Well, once again, it's not a configuration I came up with.  Someone asked for the Wilcox riser so they could use it like that (with a Wilcox flip mount rather than the EOTech factory mount, of course), and obviously, it wasn't me.    Before the Wilcox was designed, the LaRue 5/8" riser was pretty common.  

That being said, it works great.  

I've always been a fan of keeping my optics higher than most prefer to anyways.  Raising the optics that high allows you to keep a much more "heads up" posture, which increases your situational awareness in general, and for a primarily CQB-configured gun, it's really not an issue.  The higher optics also allow you to "shoulder" the rifle a little bit lower, giving you more "stock purchase" compared to "standard height" sights where many folks find themselves making contact with only the very bottom tip of the stock toe.  

In addition to making the sights easier to use with gas masks, the honest fact is that our heads have just become... more complicated these days.  Heinlein said it best back in 1959: "all this helmet gear makes you look like a hydrocephalic gorilla."  With helmets, NODs, lights, hearing protection/comms, etc. your rifle-to-head interface can become a veritable traffic jam of equipment, interfering with your ability to get a fast, consistent cheek weld.  Not for nothing, but remember that the M16's sight line was developed for guys wearing boonies or steel pots, with at most a couple cigarette butts stuck in their ears for hearing protection and wearing nylon suspenders.

The higher sights alleviate a lot of the "traffic jam" problems that can be experienced while wearing "full kit."  

Moreover, with the sights up high, you can actually look right through your optic with your NODs--not as in "if you contort just right you can do it," but very intuitive, very natural, bring your rifle up to a firing position--and you can see through your optic.  With an EOTech on NV setting, it's just as easy to use as if you were using it without NODs.  This is especially useful with more and more OPFOR beginning to have access to NV technology, making the ability to go "passive" increasingly important.  

So yes... it may seem a little silly to use a riser... on an upper with a built-in riser... with an optic with another built-in riser, but for me at least, it works extremely well.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Holy height over bore batman!  

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#10]

what is going on with that kac rear?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:54:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#11]
Originally Posted By brodband8:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Gangster lean. Duh.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#12]
updated with new optic

" target="_blank">
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Augee:

A couple points:

The rifle is a work in progress (it should eventually have a more proper lower, among other things), but it's intended as a demonstrator gun, so many of the details of the configuration are specific to the what the rifle is intended to be used for.  If you think you know what any of those things are, I would ask that you kindly refrain from asking or speculating much more than that at the current moment, I would appreciate if the discussion could be kept technical.  I'm not deliberately trying to be a cryptic asshole about it, so I apologize if I'm coming off that way - but I thought it would be nice to share what things I could.  If there's something I can't or won't respond to, I just won't.  So please take that for what it is.  

So with that said, what I will say is that the configuration of the BUIS/riser/optic is... documented, in that exact configuration.  

Yes, it renders the BUIS non-functional, they are essentially cosmetic props at the moment, but those of you who are familiar with my other rifles know that I don't usually use BUIS anyways to begin with, so it doesn't really hurt my feelings.  That being said, the rear sight really needs to be a Micro, which I'm working on getting, but I managed to get my hands on a standard 200-600m, so it's what's on there now until I can get the correct part.  

Of course, though documented, it's not exactly how the Wilcox riser pictured is "intended" to be used.  The full kit comes with a small riser for the front sight as well so that both BUIS can be mounted on risers, and be functional.  Again, those who are familiar with my buying habits can probably predict that I got a great deal on the riser, used... but it didn't come with the front sight riser, nor the matching Wilcox flip mount, which is currently a very high priority target for me.  Like most of the "great deals" I end up stumbling across, my one "great deal" is probably going to end up costing me far more money than I saved.    I am planning to get the matching front sight riser eventually as well, but it's a much lower priority than the flip mount.      

Well, once again, it's not a configuration I came up with.  Someone asked for the Wilcox riser so they could use it like that (with a Wilcox flip mount rather than the EOTech factory mount, of course), and obviously, it wasn't me.    Before the Wilcox was designed, the LaRue 5/8" riser was pretty common.  

I've always been a fan of keeping my optics higher than most prefer to anyways.  Raising the optics that high allows you to keep a much more "heads up" posture, which increases your situational awareness in general, and for a primarily CQB-configured gun, it's really not an issue.  The higher optics also allow you to "shoulder" the rifle a little bit lower, giving you more "stock purchase" compared to "standard height" sights where many folks find themselves making contact with only the very bottom tip of the stock toe.  

In addition to making the sights easier to use with gas masks, the honest fact is that our heads have just become... more complicated these days.  Heinlein said it best back in 1959: "all this helmet gear makes you look like a hydrocephalic gorilla."  With helmets, NODs, lights, hearing protection/comms, etc. your rifle-to-head interface can become a veritable traffic jam of equipment, interfering with your ability to get a fast, consistent cheek weld.  Not for nothing, but remember that the M16's sight line was developed for guys wearing boonies or steel pots, with at most a couple cigarette butts stuck in their ears for hearing protection and wearing nylon suspenders.

The higher sights alleviate a lot of the "traffic jam" problems that can be experienced while wearing "full kit."  

Moreover, with the sights up high, you can actually look right through your optic with your NODs--not as in "if you contort just right you can do it," but very intuitive, very natural, bring your rifle up to a firing position--and you can see through your optic.  With an EOTech on NV setting, it's just as easy to use as if you were using it without NODs.  This is especially useful with more and more OPFOR beginning to have access to NV technology, making the ability to go "passive" increasingly important.  

So yes... it may seem a little silly to use a riser... on an upper with a built-in riser... with an optic with another built-in riser, but for me at least, it works extremely well.  

~Augee
View Quote

Im in the process of switching over to a 1/3 co-witness setup, maybe someday i will go with your setup as well. I think we have talked before about the annoyance of ear pro, in particular with the Ops Core Fast. The extra height is also needed to look overtop of the PEQ-15
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Nothing fancy, but gets my foot in the door while I save up for something nicer.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#15]

A couple points:

~Augee
View Quote
I'm not gonna lie, I've been waiting for someone to make a more off centered mount to put your optic to either side of the rifle, not canted, but just off the center line to help with NODS.  IIRC the T1 KAC NVG mount does this...I'd have to look at mine, but the last time I did, I think it's a tad off center and it's also higher than a 1/3 co witness.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Used my 22 the other night.
20160208_155410-01 by T B, on Flickr
20160208_201953-01 by T B, on Flickr
Screenshot_2016-02-08-23-31-58-01 by T B, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:32:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SirSqueeboo] [#17]
Is there any particular reason there's more carbines than SBRs in the thread?  Is it a technical advantage, or just the obstacles in obtaining an SBR?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:42:58 AM EDT
[#18]
I got the beamz! Not just around 6 more weeks and I can finally touch some of the shit I've been blowing money on.

Originally Posted By SirSqueeboo:
Is there any particular reason there's more carbines than SBRs in the thread?  Is it a technical advantage, or just the obstacles in obtaining an SBR?

Thanks
View Quote

I don't know about everyone else, but it took a couple years before I got into the NFA game. And even then, I still have an extra 16" upper for my registered lower.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:11:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#19]
Originally Posted By Doc_Hurley:
I got the beamz! Not just around 6 more weeks and I can finally touch some of the shit I've been blowing money on.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e78/trurolla_05/12675173_10153365727725869_1676141438_o.jpg

I don't know about everyone else, but it took a couple years before I got into the NFA game. And even then, I still have an extra 16" upper for my registered lower.
View All Quotes

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e78/trurolla_05/12675173_10153365727725869_1676141438_o.jpg

Thanks

Congrats bro! Make the wife install it and take pics like usual.
Even tho I got my Insight beamz I still want a dbal. The NV/I.R. game is sickening.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

Even tho I got my Insight beamz I still want a dbal. The NV/I.R. game is sickening.
View All Quotes

Thanks

I would, but there is also a new rail it's gonna be riding on in the pile 'o gun parts in the closet. So it'll have to wait til I get home.

And she just told me she wants a laser for her SBR now.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#21]

I would, but there is also a new rail it's gonna be riding on in the pile 'o gun parts in the closet. So it'll have to wait til I get home.

View All Quotes

Thanks

Buy her a UTG or NC Star laser, maybe she won't know the difference.
(Just don't let her fry your NVG's with it)

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#22]

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1609/24910871172_bbd4d985ee_b.jpg
View All Quotes

Thanks

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1609/24910871172_bbd4d985ee_b.jpg

She's getting a lasermax uni.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#23]
She's getting a lasermax uni.
View Quote

You are too nice to her.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:23:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX_Falcon556] [#24]
My shootie stick.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:03:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Come on night crew!!

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:59:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Is that the TAPS switch? Who did you have to sleep with to get that!
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:21:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TCBA_Joe] [#29]
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok, I was about to be VERY jealous
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 11:58:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TX_Falcon556] [#31]
cont.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, I sold off my I2 and picked up a D2. Because of the size of the D2 I've had to make other changes to the gun in order to get a comfortable grip. And I still plan on making a few more changes. And yeah, she's a little front heavy now but I felt the illuminator wasn't efficient enough. The D2 just blows it out of the water. I think I'm going to remove the MBUS sights and throw on some 45* offset MBUS sights. I also plan on adding a surefire X300 for my white light. I just need to get the dual tape switch and proper tail cap. After that stuff, I think this rifle will be finished.

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 6:25:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OperatorX] [#33]

l
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:03:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Anybody using the Unity tactical fusion hub/dbal combo?
Pics appreciated
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:42:35 AM EDT
[#35]
20160222_101649-01 by T B, on Flickr
20160222_101721-01 by T B, on Flickr
20160222_101808-01 by T B, on Flickr
20160222_165637-01 by T B, on Flickr
20160222_165655-01 by T B, on Flickr
Decided to make my scar my dedicated nv rifle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:47:48 AM EDT
[#36]
You oughta put a riser under that optic and see how you like it.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#37]
I tossed my KAC nvg micro mount on there and kinda liked it but the height over bore was like 6 inches lol. I can still see through this one without too much effort.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By TannerB:
I tossed my KAC nvg micro mount on there and kinda liked it but the height over bore was like 6 inches lol. I can still see through this one without too much effort.
View Quote

Fair enough.  

Is that an [AR] lower 1/3 mount?  How tall is the SCAR top rail relative to the MR556/HK416?  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Fair enough.  

Is that an [AR] lower 1/3 mount?  How tall is the SCAR top rail relative to the MR556/HK416?  

~Augee
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TannerB:

Fair enough.  

~Augee

It is. They are pretty similar in height, which I prefer. The new owner of my HK sent me a pic where he tried the kac nvg mount on it and said it was too high for him.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Teaching the girl last weekend.
She did well, considering we had to start from zero. No experience ever shooting guns.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Really liking the new Mod 2 CQB.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:50:47 AM EDT
[#42]
^^^
That's awesome

Here's my first IR laser, still working on my white light setup.
" />
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:51:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brodband8] [#43]
Originally Posted By smb980:
^^^
That's awesome

http://<a href=http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy188/smb980/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsybwu1sy9.jpeg</a>" />
View Quote

damn steiner has had like 3 different versions of the a3.  One without illuminator adjustments.  One with adjustments that arent raised, and now ones with knobs like on the original i2's.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:

I'm fairly certain that IS an I2, looking at the right side laser output.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:
Originally Posted By smb980:
^^^
That's awesome

http://<a href=http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy188/smb980/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsybwu1sy9.jpeg</a>" />

damn steiner has had like 3 different versions of the a3.  One without illuminator adjustments.  One with adjustments that arent raised, and now ones with knobs like on the original i2's.

I'm fairly certain that IS an I2, looking at the right side laser output.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the 9007's.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Yep, model 9007.
I think if I buy the larue dbal mount and put the lever on the right side,
I will be able to bring the flashlight further back.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 7:06:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: narphenal] [#48]
*double-tap*
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By fivefivesixphoto:
Well, I sold off my I2 and picked up a D2. Because of the size of the D2 I've had to make other changes to the gun in order to get a comfortable grip. And I still plan on making a few more changes. And yeah, she's a little front heavy now but I felt the illuminator wasn't efficient enough. The D2 just blows it out of the water. I think I'm going to remove the MBUS sights and throw on some 45* offset MBUS sights. I also plan on adding a surefire X300 for my white light. I just need to get the dual tape switch and proper tail cap. After that stuff, I think this rifle will be finished.

View Quote

NICE STICK AND NOTG GENT!
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top