BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 30
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:03:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nickforney:
<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/IMG_8168.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/IMG_8168.jpg</a>
cheap is good.
View Quote

Indeed it is -

The UNI-IR is nowhere near as sophisticated as the ATPIAL, but it's also a tenth the price, and gets the job done well enough to be a worthwhile place-filler until I can start building an ATPIAL "collection."

I would imagine that the CT is about the same deal.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:08:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Augee:

Indeed it is -

The UNI-IR is nowhere near as sophisticated as the ATPIAL, but it's also a tenth the price, and gets the job done well enough to be a worthwhile place-filler until I can start building an ATPIAL "collection."

~Augee
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nickforney:
<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/IMG_8168.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/IMG_8168.jpg</a>
cheap is good.

Indeed it is -

~Augee

I have shot both a few times because I like cheap things that are functional.  If you like or want a tape switch or you want to stack your uni and a small pistol light the uni is the go to.  If you like thumb operated stuff the CT is pretty great.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:06:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a UnI IR with take switch on my LaRue 22 and it works great.
For value I think a used ITAL/OTAL is as good as it gets. It's good enough for me to trust and doesn't break the bank,
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:19:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MrPlayer:
For value I think a used ITAL/OTAL is as good as it gets. It's good enough for me to trust and doesn't break the bank,
View Quote

For $400, which I think is around the best price I've seen the OTAL-IR go for, I'd be inclined to save up some more for at least the DBAL-I2 (single spectrum).  

Really at the end of the day, I picked up the UNI-IR because it was a good deal, and I needed to quickly get a second rifle set up for use with an IR laser, and had less than $200 to spend.  

Having used the AN/PAQ-4C, I don't think I'd be satisfied anymore with the options available in civilian legal lasers, it was great back in 2004, but there are just too many better options available now - not that I think that the OTAL would be a bad unit - but once the ATPIAL-C and subsequently the DBAL-A3 and DBAL-I2 single spectrum were announced, I just don't see myself dropping the cash for one anymore.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:56:11 AM EDT
[#5]

For $400, which I think is around the best price I've seen the OTAL-IR go for, I'd be inclined to save up some more for at least the DBAL-I2 (single spectrum).  

Really at the end of the day, I picked up the UNI-IR because it was a good deal, and I needed to quickly get a second rifle set up for use with an IR laser, and had less than $200 to spend.  

Having used the AN/PAQ-4C, I don't think I'd be satisfied anymore with the options available in civilian legal lasers, it was great back in 2004, but there are just too many better options available now - not that I think that the OTAL would be a bad unit - but once the ATPIAL-C and subsequently the DBAL-A3 and DBAL-I2 single spectrum were announced, I just don't see myself dropping the cash for one anymore.  

~Augee
View All Quotes

~Augee

I feel ya, I have other lasers as well but my "truck gun" has an ITaL on it cause of the cost vs durability.
Also I just bought my 4th *TAL for $300ish on the used market.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#6]

I feel ya, I have other lasers as well but my "truck gun" has an ITaL on it cause of the cost vs durability.
View All Quotes

~Augee

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:30:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bobweaver] [#7]
Crappy iPhone video through the AB NightVision MOD-3 of my buddy shooting my M4A1 CQBR SOPMOD Block II clone -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kva4RIpDtBE

The laser is a LaserMax UNI-IR, and the video was taken by holding the iPhone up to the monocular.
~Augee
View Quote

Get one of these for your 14 and filming becomes a lot more easy/fun.  I run a 14 with the phone adapter on my rifle to capture the action while using a helmet mounted unit and weapon laser for target acquisition and aiming.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:31:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#8]
Not the cleanest runs I've ever done, but was trying to get some good NV video:

M4A1 SOPMOD Block II clone doing what it should do.  

"Own the night."  

ATPIAL and AB Night Vision MOD-3.  

Not visible are targets at 25m, 50m, and 100m.  

Also not visible - and the reason that it's really not exactly the "best" run, is that my buddy and I were really more experimenting with how to take NV videos using nothing but monoculars and an iPhone -

Both these and the other video I posted were literally taken by moving the monocular as far forward on the helmet mount as possible (just was not stable enough trying to do it hand-held) - and putting an iPhone up to the ocular lens.  Needless to say, the screen was too close to see whether or not you were getting a good picture, but you could tell whether or not you had a green circle and if there was someone in the FOV.  

The iPhone's autofocus took care of the rest - however, it has had me considering investing in an iPhone adapter, especially since I have a spare 4S that Verizon was going to give me pennies for when I upgraded.  

Unfortunately, that night my phone died just about as soon as we figured out how to get passable videos, so the only ones I have are the three passable "test runs," and nothing terribly exciting, but it's still pretty cool to be able to get the NV video.  

Also, I kinda just "had to do it" - but a little "dress up" before heading out to the range.  

The cropped background is to obscure the total mess that is my living room.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:34:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By bobweaver:

Get one of these for your 14 and filming becomes a lot more easy/fun.  I run a 14 with the phone adapter on my rifle to capture the action while using a helmet mounted unit and weapon laser for target acquisition and aiming.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x466/Modarmory/pvs14iphoneadapt_02.jpg

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/bobweaver/image_zps5f3c3526.jpg
View Quote

I'm seriously considering the one on the EE now - just gotta free up some cash.  

I'm wondering how awkward it would be to try to attach one of these to my binos, and head mount the whole thing - I reckon after being used to dual PVS-14s, the weight of an iPhone 4S and the adapter shouldn't be too bad, but I don't know how much the offset weight would bother me, though I guess people use COTIs, and other things without too much problem.  

Probably be a bit of an awkward looking setup regardless.  

The only other reason I'm hesitating is I'm wondering whether or not I'd prefer to save my money to get a GoPro and the forthcoming Unity "see through" mount when they're released.  

I'd love to do some videos of some of the more "run and gun," and "bounding" stuff that I do when I have the opportunity, and I'm not sure how well the iPhone adapter would be for that kind of work versus more static work.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:40:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emtothedee] [#10]
Messed around with different setups today.  This one seems to be the most simple and high speed being able to access the light and laser from both sides without any pressure switches or mounts on top of mounts on top of mounts coming loose.  Its kinda ugly though.  Not sure if it goes into the case tonight setup like that.  Don't mind the tactical cat
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:06:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By emtothedee:
Messed around with different setups today.  This one seems to be the most simple and high speed being able to access the light and laser from both sides without any pressure switches or mounts on top of mounts on top of mounts coming loose.  Its kinda ugly though.  Not sure if it goes into the case tonight setup like that.  Don't mind the tactical cat
<a href="http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/emtothedee/media/My%20Baby/3860B84A-873F-4F53-8697-B181EDF852A9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg607/emtothedee/My%20Baby/3860B84A-873F-4F53-8697-B181EDF852A9.jpg</a>
View Quote

If you grab a thorntail mount and put it on the right side at the 2 o clock, you can access it either RH or LH
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:08:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheArizonaCowboy] [#12]
Double tap
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#13]
<a href="http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/emtothedee/media/My%20Baby/3860B84A-873F-4F53-8697-B181EDF852A9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg607/emtothedee/My%20Baby/3860B84A-873F-4F53-8697-B181EDF852A9.jpg</a>
View Quote

If you like the setup, who cares how it looks?  Run it man, run it!  
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TheArizonaCowboy:

If you grab a thorntail mount and put it on the right side at the 2 o clock, you can access it either RH or LH
View All Quotes

I was thinking the same thing when I was looking at it.  If anything why on earth wouldn't you use the apital with one of its few useful features to work around a front sight up top rather than on the side.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#15]

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg607/emtothedee/My%20Baby/3860B84A-873F-4F53-8697-B181EDF852A9.jpg
View Quote
Is that a $200 unusable KAC sitting behind your light with no rear BUIS? Light on top ATIPAL and on side ?.... Not sure if serious.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:16:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: America] [#16]
Originally Posted By safetyoff:
Is that a $200 unusable KAC sitting behind your light with no rear BUIS? Light on top ATIPAL and on side ?.... Not sure if serious.  
View All Quotes
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg607/emtothedee/My%20Baby/3860B84A-873F-4F53-8697-B181EDF852A9.jpg

to be fair some people use the hood of an eotech as a hasty rear sight and you can achieve decent groups if you know what you are doing the rest of it I am with you.  

not to be a dick but judging from the finish on the rifle and the overall placement issues I would venture to guess this hasn't been shot at night with this set up.

this is a picture thread.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#17]
DBAL A2

10.5" Noveske

Surefire Scout light

AAC 51T

NEA Compact Carbine Stock

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:58:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emtothedee] [#18]
View All Quotes

Haha unusable in that state yes. I never used that setup was just bored and was wondering what the setup would be like to run that light at 12 o clock. I was searching for a way to access the light and laser from both sides with what I currently have and no pressure switches. I typically run an Elcan and the laser on top with no rear sight. I just got the ATPIAL though so haven't decided whether to have the laser on top or on the side. Def not a serious setup at the moment. The thorntail doesn't work well with the ATPIAL to mount in a place where I can access it from both sides

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Still trying to figure out if I want to use a tape switch or not, but I just picked this guy up for $500:

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:18:33 AM EDT
[#20]
"Staged" photos from my last night trip (NODs off while taking flash photography ) -

I need to find more friends that have their own NODs.  I'm getting sick of having to split up my MOD-3s all the time.  

~Augee

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#21]
"Staged" photos from my last night trip (NODs off while taking flash photography ) -

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/fdbd2f26-d81d-4297-86bb-c9beb78fb78c_zpshvcl6ncd.jpg

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/7789b662-8952-467d-8691-61bcacbdfd64_zps9fnhzz9z.jpg

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/2cafe125-86d8-4062-b9ae-e8365353fd5e_zps9aum04to.jpg

I need to find more friends that have their own NODs.  I'm getting sick of having to split up my MOD-3s all the time.  

~Augee

View Quote

Come out to AZ!

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Come out to AZ!
View Quote

You have no idea how close I am/was, but it's not looking good.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:05:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrPlayer] [#23]

~Augee
View All Quotes

Come out to AZ!

~Augee

You are making the wrong choice sir, come to AZ and experience it b4 you make a decision.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:48:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#24]
I'd still love to come out for a visit one of these days to meet the AZ crew, and it's not 100% off the table yet, but without guaranteed funding ("renewable up to five years") and a $99 Million cut to higher education funding by the state, it's seeming like an imprudent option.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd still love to come out for a visit one of these days to meet the AZ crew, and it's not 100% off the table yet, but without guaranteed funding ("renewable up to five years") and a $99 Million cut to higher education funding by the state, it's seeming like an imprudent option.  

~Augee
View Quote

I don't want to derail the thread so if you have any questions regarding education in AZ let me know. I know the Governor personally and can get you some answers.

Pic thread

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Sending you a PM...  

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:55:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC] [#27]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 2:12:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#28]
Actually, speaking of "old school," it's an RDP II.  

Several years back, we had a conversation on MRDs - given the fact that I managed to trash both a (then expensive) Trijicon Red Dot and Docter Optic, and I determined that it was actually cheaper for me to buy the (then cheap) RDP IIs and trash them and replace them, I think at the time, I'd determined that I could trash three RDP IIs before it would've been cheaper to have bought a Docter.

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 5:15:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#29]
Actually, speaking of "old school," it's an RDP II.  

Several years back, we had a conversation on MRDs - given the fact that I managed to trash both a (then expensive) Trijicon Red Dot and Docter Optic, and I determined that it was actually cheaper for me to buy the (then cheap) RDP IIs and trash them and replace them, I think at the time, I'd determined that I could trash three RDP IIs before it would've been cheaper to have bought a Docter.

~Augee
View Quote

Speaking of "old school"

(Excuse the iTater pic)

VITAL-2. With tape switch, cause I'm a lefty! that's a Surefire M600 Scout with IR Filter for IR illumination.
It's all living on a 12.5" Noveske barreled upper (w/AAC 7.62SD), Troy Alpha, LaRue FUG, MePro M21, Troy Flips sights, IWC handstop, IWC QD cup (for sling), Magpul Paraclip adapter, Bastardized VTAC padded sling.

Now, I have to find somewhere to sight this VITAL-2 in at!
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#30]

I really like the ATPIAL-C but I'm in for the new DBAL I really prefer the Grn vis laser.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#32]
20150328_194814_1 by tb5252, on Flickr
20150328_194703_1 by tb5252, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#33]
ST Compressor - 8.1" barrel.  24.5" OAL, 8 lbs 12 oz as shown.  This is the 556 version.Aimpoint T1, Surefire M300B, DBAL I2.  

http://www.spikestactical.com/st-compressor-sbr-556-nfa-p-491.html

I swapped out CTR stock with the LWRC ultra compact and the LWRC dual ambi sling mount.

I really like the combination of the LWRC Ultra Compact stock on the short suppressed Compressor.  It really seems to fit that package and allows it to fit in the short Sneaky Bag with room to spare.   I can keep a small EGL VOCR-2 chest rig, med gear plus cleaning kit & tools in a very compact footprint.  It has become my grab and go rifle gear setup when travelling.  The bag even has a compartment that fits my Sentinels and Crye Night Cap so it covers night operations.

http://www.sneakybags.com/store/SPYDER_Covert_Carry_Bag

Video of using the short sneaky bag with the SBR as a fieldable low profile system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hGF-Ede6ZPk
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:43:24 AM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By TannerB:
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/rz2z5g" target="_blank">https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8686/16782669939_7059e9c461_z.jpg</a>20150328_194814_1 by tb5252, on Flickr
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/ryTWdJ" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7607/16781180178_579e711d2b_z.jpg</a>20150328_194703_1 by tb5252, on Flickr
View Quote

Sweet. What rail?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:08:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By yetti78:

Sweet. What rail?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By yetti78:
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/rz2z5g" target="_blank">https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8686/16782669939_7059e9c461_z.jpg</a>20150328_194814_1 by tb5252, on Flickr
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/ryTWdJ" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7607/16781180178_579e711d2b_z.jpg</a>20150328_194703_1 by tb5252, on Flickr

Sweet. What rail?

HK
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Did the mock up this morning.  The upper will eventually get some paint.  

I'm definitely digging the Unity Tactical micro hub and ATPIAL scout mount.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 10:23:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cmcflex] [#39]
Deleted
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#41]
20150412_172838_1 by tb5252, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I'll be needin' that - fer squirrels and such.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#44]
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/rbZN6B" target="_blank">https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8720/16533360613_1f3314a50b_z.jpg</a>20150412_172838_1 by tb5252, on Flickr
View Quote

Who brought the loud gun?

Rude
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:34:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Me lol
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Don't know if this will work. DBAL came in Friday. Sighted it in. Really liking it so far.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#47]

No sbr's in this state but I make do.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Got the paint finished.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:06:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Been running this setup for a while, liking it:

I've got a KM2 head on my 600 Uboat because I find the ATPIAL-C illuminator lacking. I was doing some low/no-light shooting and the Uboat head wouldn't have been a good choice. That's the only thing I don't like about the ATPIAL-C, the lack of adjustable illum like the PEQ-15 that I'm used to.
Page / 30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top