Site Notices
Page / 30
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MrPlayer:

You took apart a LaRue mount to paint it?.....the horror!!!! Haha jk
View Quote

Someone else did. I got it used off the EE for pretty cheap. I wouldn't have bothered cerakoting a light and mount myself..
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#2]
20170102_122642-01-01 by T B, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#3]
20170102_122642-01-01 by T B, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:37:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#4]
Why the riser for the RDS? Why not buy a taller mount?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:
Why the riser for the RDS? Why not buy a taller mount?
View Quote

I won't answer for TannerB but the reason I run one is A, there currently isn't many (if any besides the new redback one mount) higher than the lower 1/3 hieght. B. The riser allows my magnifier to be aligned with the red dot.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Other than what he just said the only mount taller I'm aware of is the kac nvg and the brand new one from kac for rb1
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:20:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmjerrywest44] [#8]
Steiner Y cable ghetto mod

Link Posted: 2/3/2017 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Just figured out I can offset mount a SF Scout next to an ATPIAL on an ALG EMR without any special mounts like the one from Unity Tactical.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RJeff21:
Just figured out I can offset mount a SF Scout next to an ATPIAL on an ALG EMR without any special mounts like the one from Unity Tactical.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294984/IMG-1012-139561.JPG
View Quote

Nice, I'm thinking about building an upper with the same rail for a dedicated nv upper. My gf build a rifle with that 13" rail, but I like 12" barrels so I think an 11" EMR will be nice and light and still do what I need.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:

Nice, I'm thinking about building an upper with the same rail for a dedicated nv upper. My gf build a rifle with that 13" rail, but I like 12" barrels so I think an 11" EMR will be nice and light and still do what I need.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294984/IMG-1012-139561.JPG

It's actually a 12.5" barrel with a 12" EMR.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:35:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BoxofRox] [#12]

View Quote

That's right, I forgot they went both sides of 11".

Whose barrel? It must be crazy close with your suppressor. I have a 12" actual length barrel and with an 11" rail and my direct thread Omega has like 30 thousandths clearance.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:00:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#13]

Whose barrel? It must be crazy close with your suppressor. I have a 12" actual length barrel and with an 11" rail and my direct thread Omega has like 30 thousandths clearance.
View All Quotes

It's a BCM 12.5" barrel, but yeah, there's maybe 1-2mm of clearance between the end of the rail and the back of the suppressor.  

ETA:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Sorry for the derail but last question, is the shoulder of your barrel behind the end of the rail? I plan on using a direct thread can to keep weight and length down so I need the shoulder to peek out a bit. Also, what's the actual length of the 12" rail? My 13" vmr is 12 7/8"

I'll have my ATPIAL within 2 months to post a pic hopefully
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:26:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Sorry for the derail but last question, is the shoulder of your barrel behind the end of the rail? I plan on using a direct thread can to keep weight and length down so I need the shoulder to peek out a bit. Also, what's the actual length of the 12" rail? My 13" vmr is 12 7/8"

I'll have my ATPIAL within 2 months to post a pic hopefully
View Quote

Yeah, the shoulder is recessed into the rail by maybe 1/4", so direct thread wouldn't work.

I'll have to check on actual length, but almost positive it's an exact 12".
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:04:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Great_Balls_of_Fire] [#17]
Nice!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:20:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Got a new laser, moved another.  Adjusted them so they are likely to hit what I'm trying to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Good evening all!

question about the mounting option for dbal i2.

Please see image below, with Magpul Mbus Pro flipped-up, there are 4 remaining slots on this SLR ION Hybrid rail.
Do you think it will fit if I use Larue LT271 mount on a dbal i2? How many slots does the Larue mount uses?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Can I ask why the majority of people seem to run the unit on the very end of the rail?

I've been playing with mounting it up close to RDS to obstruct less of my view.
It's more tucked into the RDS and less of an obstruction for day time.

Just wondering what the logic is behind it to learn.
<-- fresh to NVG

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:54:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OperatorX] [#24]
For me it's just personal preference.  balance and ease of operation.  Towards the front just works with my shooting style.  

Most guys I know who have nods have their ir on 10.5 to 12.5 inch rifles so mounting toward the muzzle doesn't cause any issue with weight.

I have mine on 10 and 11.5 inch rifles.

@TechOps
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TechOps:
Can I ask why the majority of people seem to run the unit on the very end of the rail?

I've been playing with mounting it up close to RDS to obstruct less of my view.
It's more tucked into the RDS and less of an obstruction for day time.

Just wondering what the logic is behind it to learn.
<-- fresh to NVG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/361596/IMG-5443-146948.JPG
View Quote

One issue would be operating the switches and activation button without moving your lead hand too far from where it needs to be.

The second would be that your lead hand might intrude into the path of the laser.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:15:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Suppose I need to get that rifle out in the dark and train a bit with that position.
Thanks for replying.

I have my switch running forward from there and it falls about where I clamp down at.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:26:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By dmjerrywest44:
Steiner Y cable ghetto mod
View Quote

Sweet splice job. Any issues doing that with a 3V DBAL and a 6V light? Is there a spot on the board with more info about said ghetto mod?

Ek
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TechOps:
Suppose I need to get that rifle out in the dark and train a bit with that position.
Thanks for replying.

I have my switch running forward from there and it falls about where I clamp down at.
View Quote

Some will tell you there's a "right" way to mount the laser and give various reasons why, and I've heard people give passionate justifications for almost any position, often with good points.  

Personally, I prefer mine further forward mounted on the 12 o'clock when possible, but at the end of the day, the IR LAM is simply not a precision system, and IMHO, it's more a matter of making the rifle fit you, not vice versa.  

For a lot of folks, putting the laser further forward means that you have the least chance of obstruction from other items such as lights, front sights, support hand, slings, etc., coupled with the popular "over the top" extended support hand grip--having an obstruction that reflects the laser back to you isn't an ideal situation for obvious reasons.  Moreover, many prefer to use the top-mounted "FIRE" buttons on their LAMs, which means that it needs to be close to the "natural" location of their support hand, and again, the trend is towards grasping the forearm further and further out.  Also, in the absence of other information or knowledge, a lot of folks will simply emulate, which is not always necessarily a bad thing, and the more common trend is to see them pushed out further.  

Again, at the end of the day, however, it really gets down to what works best for you and your shooting styles--there's a lot of "theories" about it that I won't get in to, but IMHO, at the end of the day, as long as you're not mounting it on the 6 o'clock pointing backwards, none of them are compelling enough for me to feel like it's worth telling someone their LAM *has* to be in one position or another, as you train, experiment, and learn more, it might necessitate moving the laser then, but the basics of weapons manipulation that you're comfortable with should dictate where force-multiplying accessories are located.

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Proper use of your vape cloud.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By TNVC:
A few lasers in this mess!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/Shot_Prep1_zpsb18de16c.jpg
View Quote

It would be nice to get some 37mm IR flatrers
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:04:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Crappy iPad photos.

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:24:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TechOps] [#34]
Originally Posted By Augee:

Some will tell you there's a "right" way to mount the laser and give various reasons why, and I've heard people give passionate justifications for almost any position, often with good points.  

Personally, I prefer mine further forward mounted on the 12 o'clock when possible, but at the end of the day, the IR LAM is simply not a precision system, and IMHO, it's more a matter of making the rifle fit you, not vice versa.
~Augee
View Quote
Thanks mate.

I pushed it back out for now. Still seems to cover up a lot of the lower portion of RDS, but I'll give it a chance.
This is a pic thread so...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:28:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: actuallyambrose] [#35]
New light and BUIS

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#36]

Maybe someday I'll get a WG tube and put it behind the scope, or get a clip on and run it up front. But for now, I'll just play like this.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By RustedAce:
http://i.imgur.com/xzgF9S3.jpg
View Quote

I got talked into an atpial, but I think I could have gotten the cqbl plus a surefire light and had similar performance but with a hell of a lot better illuminator for the same cost.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#38]

I got talked into an atpial, but I think I could have gotten the cqbl plus a surefire light and had similar performance but with a hell of a lot better illuminator for the same cost.
View Quote

Plus it would have been modular / upgradable.

Minus it would have weighed more.

Plus controls would be more intuitive and simpler.

Minus you would have more devices to have to control.

This is not a fight that we get to win. There are good answers and bad answers but there are no perfect answers to this question. The ATPIAL is a damned good unit but it's not perfect and neither is anything else.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

ewwwwgross. Laser based illumination is the way to go
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#40]
My humble submission. I literally just got it so I'm not sure where it'll end up.

I have to get a TAPS switch too. Think I might have to SBR this as much as I don't want to so I can put a VFG on it to have more grip options.

Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

I'd disagree if you're limited to civilian-powered laser illuminators. I've found IR LEDs are much more effective than neutered lasers unless you're using them in a highly magnified sort of setting and needing to focus the beam way down.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:47:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Attachment Attached File

My a4 clone is  now night vision ready thanks to a stream light tlr-2 eyesafe  class 1 ir laser(I can see out to 700 yars) & ir LED good to 200 meters.(I have a D300gen2+)

the tlr remote switch tail cap works with an ITT switch.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 2:07:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kits4] [#43]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:43:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: actuallyambrose] [#44]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:47:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NothingClever] [#45]

View Quote
If the Atpial just had a better illuminator I'd be all over it. My dbal d2 is just.....big.  

Edit, no freeloading. The d2 that replaced the i2

And hell yeah that's Jager straight on the rocks. Need it after trying to bring a three year old to a movie.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:46:37 AM EDT
[#46]
So what's the consensus on the ATPIAL-C vs DBAL-A3?

The DBAL-A3 has what appears to be a better illuminator that can be focused plus a green vis laser and I can get it for over $200 cheaper.

Seems like the only thing going for the ATPIAL-C is that it looks cooler.  From what I understand the illuminator is weak sauce.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#48]
20170312_113259-01 by T B, on Flickr
20170312_144721-01 by T B, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#49]

the VITAL 2 still going
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:37:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By tetonrvr:
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q18/bigskytrapper/IMG_2131_zps7o8j9lqa.jpg

the VITAL 2 still going
View Quote
#VITAL2masterrace!
Page / 30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top