Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately, as soon as I posted this everyone is suddenly sold out!

Glad I got mine to test out and also ordered a couple more for other DBAL-D2 and the I2 as well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Glad I got mine to test out and also ordered a couple more for other DBAL-D2 and the I2 as well.

Everyone is wise to the idea now. I hope TNVC starts selling these. I'm not sure I can bring myself to order from optics planet again. Even if its only a 20 dollar item.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone is wise to the idea now. I hope TNVC starts selling these. I'm not sure I can bring myself to order from optics planet again. Even if its only a 20 dollar item.

We had these on our web site awhile back and not sure why they're not there anymore....Need to ask Clasky.

Vic

If you guys actually have these in stock I'll cancel my Optics Planet order and order them from you RFN.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 2:38:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had these on our web site awhile back and not sure why they're not there anymore....Need to ask Clasky.

Vic

I'm in for one for my OTAL if they are posted for sale again.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 3:46:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I could use another three of them myself, Optics Planet is backordered for 4-5 months!

Vic, if you could order a hundred of these from LDI, I am sure they would be utilized.

You cannot go wrong with these filters, it is like having a high/low switch on the IR laser at night, simply outstanding for making precise shots!

The LDI Part Number of the ND filter I am using on my DBAL-D2s is FA05349-01

Neutral Density Filter - Black

The filter itself is very black glass and you cannot see through it at all unless looking through it at the sun.

The correct filter for the civilian legal IR laser in the DBAL-I2 is FA06147-01

It is nice to be able to use it without having to remember to take the cap off...

Link Posted: 4/1/2013 5:43:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I need one for the D2 too, Pup shouldered past me in the aisle to take that last filter.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#8]
LOL Same damn thing happened with the Opteka 720nm IR cut off lens, which also work great to cut out the red light on your DBAL-D2!
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 8:57:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd be up for one of these as well (LDI # FA06147-01) for a DBAL- I2.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ya know, Clasky and I were just discussing this. It's funny we had these available several years ago before the Class 1's were even out and were only used with the high power/restricted units.

We all still have them on our HP lasers at times, but we never really put them on our Class 1's because most of us still have to use the restricted units for the LE and Mil training we do.

Will get these back up on our site as soon as we dig around here.

Vic

How do I selfishly climb above all these other people to get first in line?
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Vic,
I'd take 2 for the I2 if you end up getting them.  I placed an order with OP a couple of days ago after not finding them on your website and will cancel if someone gets them first.

Link Posted: 4/10/2013 8:16:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Hello all, I have been lurking for years on different parts of ARFCOM as my interests have changed, but have now been drawn into signing up as I have questions I would like to get answered.  

SkyPup, I must say, I have enjoyed reading your posts and all the great info and pics over the last several months as I made a decision as to what NV gear would best suit my needs.  I sure would love to have your bank roll.  Primarily I plan to use it for coyote hunting and this post regarding neutral density filters was very informative.  I have NO practical experience with NV but it seems that a neutral density filter would allow for more precise aiming on the cross section of a coyote.  Would you agree?  I will be using it with a PVS-14 Pinnacle from TNVC; maybe 4 weeks out now.  

I had an LDI CQBL on order with TNVC, but decided to switch to a DBAL I2 since LDI does not make a neutral density filter for the CQBL and it looks like it would be difficult to make one fit on it.  I like the CQBL's slim size and how close it fits in relation to the bore, but decided the ability to put a neutral density filter on an I2 a important feature due to the photos posted here of how it reduces the dots bloom.  Thanks for the great info!

I also noticed that LDI makes Optical Pattern Generators for the I2:

http://tnvc.com/shop/ldi-optical-pattern-generators-ir-illuminator/

They state they are good for "marking" and "team communication" but I wonder if they could also be used for targeting?  There is one of them that changes the dot into a cross.  Does anyone have experience with these?  Might they be useful for targeting as well?

Now if TNVC could just scrounge up some LDI neutral density filters, I, like many others, would love to have one.
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the kind words, I attempted to procure some of those LDI Laser Pattern Generators and they are for LE/Mil only, not us civvies.....we wacked a couple of hogs this past weekend at night with the PVS-14 and the Neutral Density Filter on my DBAL-I2 at around 50 yards and it was instant death.
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for the kind words, I attempted to procure some of those LDI Laser Pattern Generators and they are for LE/Mil only, not us civvies.....we wacked a couple of hogs this past weekend at night with the PVS-14 and the Neutral Density Filter on my DBAL-I2 at around 50 yards and it was instant death.

Just buy some PEQ-2 pattern generators instead. They have the same flexible straps and mount to the same tabs that are universal to all single lens PEQ systems so I don't know why they wouldn't be compatible. They used to be all over Ebay. Here's an active auction. PEQ-2 pattern generators
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#16]
The pattern generators do not appear to give any utility to the civilian DBALs, so I'll pass.
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hello all, I have been lurking for years on different parts of ARFCOM as my interests have changed, but have now been drawn into signing up as I have questions I would like to get answered.  

SkyPup, I must say, I have enjoyed reading your posts and all the great info and pics over the last several months as I made a decision as to what NV gear would best suit my needs.  I sure would love to have your bank roll.  Primarily I plan to use it for coyote hunting and this post regarding neutral density filters was very informative.  I have NO practical experience with NV but it seems that a neutral density filter would allow for more precise aiming on the cross section of a coyote.  Would you agree?  I will be using it with a PVS-14 Pinnacle from TNVC; maybe 4 weeks out now.  

I had an LDI CQBL on order with TNVC, but decided to switch to a DBAL I2 since LDI does not make a neutral density filter for the CQBL and it looks like it would be difficult to make one fit on it.  I like the CQBL's slim size and how close it fits in relation to the bore, but decided the ability to put a neutral density filter on an I2 a important feature due to the photos posted here of how it reduces the dots bloom.  Thanks for the great info!

I also noticed that LDI makes Optical Pattern Generators for the I2:

http://tnvc.com/shop/ldi-optical-pattern-generators-ir-illuminator/

They state they are good for "marking" and "team communication" but I wonder if they could also be used for targeting?  There is one of them that changes the dot into a cross.  Does anyone have experience with these?  Might they be useful for targeting as well?

Now if TNVC could just scrounge up some LDI neutral density filters, I, like many others, would love to have one.

No, the pattern generators can't be used for aiming. They diffuse the light into a larger spot in order for the patterns (which are quite large) to be evenly illuminated. They strictly are for marking.
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks jrpett, I did not even think to check Ebay.  Now if I could just find some neutral density filters that easy.....  When I zoomed in on the "instruction sheet" in that ebay add, it stated that the pattern made by the pattern generator would not be good for "directing accurate fire" so I think I will pass on them.  They might be useful for causing mass confusion should this country ever find itself in a serious state of upheaval, but for targeting a coyote, evidently sticking with the dot is best.

In retrospect, I probably should have saved the $220 and just gotten an ITAL.  Its smaller, lighter, works with the neutral density filters, and who uses a visible laser anyway.  Oh well, the DBAL I2 is on the way according to UPS, I'm sure I will like it.

SkyPup, have you ever used a LAS/TAC 2 on a rifle?  I wonder how far you could really see the .1mW beam?  I like how small it is.
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The pattern generators do not appear to give any utility to the civilian DBALs, so I'll pass.

I wasn't paying attention that the ones for LDI were for the illuminator and not the aiming laser, so yeah, I guess the ones for the PEQ are not what you're looking for. When I get home, I'll throw them over the illuminator of the PEQ-2 just to see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks jrpett, I did not even think to check Ebay.  Now if I could just find some neutral density filters that easy.....  When I zoomed in on the "instruction sheet" in that ebay add, it stated that the pattern made by the pattern generator would not be good for "directing accurate fire" so I think I will pass on them.  They might be useful for causing mass confusion should this country ever find itself in a serious state of upheaval, but for targeting a coyote, evidently sticking with the dot is best.

In retrospect, I probably should have saved the $220 and just gotten an ITAL.  Its smaller, lighter, works with the neutral density filters, and who uses a visible laser anyway.  Oh well, the DBAL I2 is on the way according to UPS, I'm sure I will like it.

SkyPup, have you ever used a LAS/TAC 2 on a rifle?  I wonder how far you could really see the .1mW beam?  I like how small it is.

LAS/TAC2 0.1mW IR on bottom - DBAL-I2 0.7mW IR on top @ 175 yards

Link Posted: 4/10/2013 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the pics SkyPup!  Looks like the LAS/TAC could be very useful for a light weight set up and effective enough to the longest ranges I would most likely shoot at night.  That would fit on my ARs as well as my M1A Scout in a Blackfeather stock without adding too much weight or bulk.  

I seem to remember you having a 3x multiplier in one of your posts.  How do you like it and how often do you use it compared to not using it?
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I just tested the pattern generators and they don't work with the illuminate on the PEQ-2, it projects a sort of pattern with crosshatching that can best be described as that similar to a tweed jacket. I'm guessing that the pattern is so small that it is designed to have a very small diameter collimated laser project through it and not a wide, diffuse beam as that in the illuminator. I wonder how sharp the images could be when the generators are over the illuminator when using the ones that LDI offers? I can't see it being useful except at short ranges. Too bad they don't sell them, I'd really like to see how well they work.
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#23]
The real deal USGI 3X Magnifier is a very high quality lens and fits nicely on the 720nm IR cutoff filter on my PVS-14s:

It basically increases the size of everything 3X, here is that same tree @ 175 yards through the Eotech and 3X Mag:

You can also use other cam recorder telephoto lens systems that pass IR light like some Sony & Polaroid units:

You can also just turn off the Eotech and just use the lR aser with the 3X too for some precise aiming at long ranges.....

Same tree @ 175 yards:

Link Posted: 4/10/2013 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes, for sure, that is the "real deal" as far as NVG goes; well, that along with the T50 you have as well as some of your other equipment.  So, having never even held a PVS-14 (maybe in 6 weeks or so, thanks to TNVC) I assume there are threads inside the front of the unit that will allow attachment of the magnifiers.  Do you remember what mm sized lens work with the PVS-14?  

I this what you have?        http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749507-REG/Polaroid_PL4558T_Studio_Series_52_58mm_4_5x.html

I have an EXPS 3-0 on my AR and I bought the weapons kit with the Pinnacle tube so I might be able to set it up in a similar fashion.  You are making me wish I had $$$ for two PVS-14s; one on my head and one on my gun, but I will probably save for thermal equipment next.  It will take me some time to figure out how I like to use it; on my head, on my gun, or if you can quickly go from one to the other with the TNVC Aimpoint base and twist detachable mount.  

All the info and pictures are a huge help! Thanks for taking the time to post them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, that is the same Polaroid 4.5X Telephoto I have been using, they are on Amazon too, you will need specific camera lens adapters to screw it into the front objective lens of your PVS-14, the correct adapter is a 30mm-58mm step-up adapter.

The USGI 3X also screws in to the PVS-14 objective lens but needs no adapter, it also can be slipped over for a loose fit for quick use without having to actually screw it on.
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Outstanding, I will order one!  I can't wait get this all set up and start slinging lead at some coyotes.  I tested my M1A Scout last week with some subsonic loads, 168 Hornady Moly Match bullets with 10.0 grains of Trail Boss.  With my 7.62SD can they were crazy quiet and quite accurate at 150 yards with the gas system turned off, the coyotes would not know which way to run.  The average velocity through my chronograph was 985 fps; I could probably use 10.5 grains of Trail Boss and it would still be subsonic.   The same can works on my AR, but it is not as quiet with normal supersonic ammo.  I know you are not suppose to put a Pinnacle tube on a 308, but there is almost no recoil with the subsonic ammo and the gas system turned off so I might give it a try.
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#27]
For subs and trail boss, the recoil will be much less than 5.56 supers. The subs are more of a push, like a big pellet gun
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#28]
I checked the Optics Planet website today and they say 8 - 18 days backordered for the LDI neutral density filters for the DBAL I2 and D2 in black color.  That's better than the 4 - 5 months it was saying earlier.  I put in an order, we will see how long it really takes.

Hardware, yep subtonics have almost no recoil.  The loudest sound is the bullet hitting a steel target or me cycling the action on my M1A to load another round; that's noisy for sure.  BTW.....I had a friend in college who's nickname was Hardware; that was in the mid to late 80's.  He also lived in Texas.  Were you in college at that time?
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We will have ours tomorrow guys.  Give us a call if you want to order these. A whopping $17 bones.  

Will also have them on our web site later today or tomorrow.

Vic

P.S. It's funny but we had these on our web site awhile back (a few years ago) for use on all the high power restricted units. I still have them on my HP units.

Sweet, it is nice to have a LDI DBAL Hi-Low IR laser, plus being able to use it even when you forgot to remove the lens cap as long as you did not forget to turn it on...
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Vic, where do we look for them on you webpage?  I assume under "Laser Systems" then "Laser Accessories"; is that correct?  Thanks for adding them back to your line of products!
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Got one
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Ordered.  Thanks Vic.
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks Vic for getting these up! Got mine ordered.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 3:31:12 AM EDT
[#37]
I ordered another one for my other DBAL-D2 and one for the DBAL-I2, thanks again for getting these!
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I just checked my email a bit ago...

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

You vultures () snapped them all up!

Vic,
Any idea when more are incoming?

(Please say soon!)
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Do y'all not know you can use exposed camera film to make an IR filter? Fo' Free

$17 for a dang piece of plastic. YGBSM
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Haha, they are out of Desert Tan and only have Black!
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yea, many rascals scooped the tan we got in (and small qty at that).  Will check on Monday and report from Jaimie. Blacks still in stock, but D-2 versions sold out as well.  

We get some pretty big qty's in every week from LDI, so I'm hoping soon.

Vic

Thanks for the info. I sent an email reply to Jamie that I'm fine with black or tan, whichever will get to my mailbox first! I'm very anxious to try them out.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Yeah, I got Skypup'd again!  Maybe next batch that comes in...
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Hey Pup,  any chance of getting an Illuminator pic w/ the filter on ? ..
how's the dot holding up visible wise under you're D2 illumination ?
still easily visible ? less ?
Thnx
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Hey Pup,  any chance of getting an Illuminator pic w/ the filter on ? ..
how's the dot holding up visible wise under you're D2 illumination ?
still easily visible ? less ?
Thnx

As a matter of fact I tried that out last night but did not take any photos, I am going hog hunting tonight so I'll see if I can take some pics of the filtered laser with the IR Illum on.

Basically, at the 175 yard tree I took the other pictures, using the DBAL-D2 Illuminator to illuminate a tight 50 foot circle, you can easily see the laser dot with ZERO bloom even with the PVS-14 turned up to maximum gain.

Using the filtered IR laser, you can use a much larger diameter IR Illum from the DBAL to cover a larger area and experience zilch for bloom.

As they would say DownUnder, "That's a Bloomin' Fact!"

Link Posted: 4/13/2013 5:15:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Okay, here is the DBAL-D2 IR Illum and 0.7mW IR Laser @ 175 yards with NO Filter:

Here is the same shot with the Neutral Density Filter On:

As is the case with most Night Vision photography, the real thing is always better than the internet photos are....

One thing is for certain and that is the Bloom is completely GONE!
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Tank Ya
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Dang it SkyPup, those pics you keep posting are making my wait for my 1st PVS-14 from TNVC almost unbearable; keep them coming.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Ordered tan.  No hurry though as the D2 I ordered is also on back order.

Thanks for the thread and great photos Skypup!
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top