Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2012 9:18:29 AM EDT
Hey,

I've got an LDI OTAL Class 1 IR laser.  This model does not have the visible laser.  

So, I'm guessing that I'll need to zero the laser with my day optic during the day.   It'll be okay to use the day cover on my PVS-14 to view the laser to do this, correct (it has a little pin hole in it)

I just want to make sure that I don't damage my monocular.   I don't have a weapon mount for it, but it's helmet mounted.  

Thanks,

Paul
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you trying to zero for a set distance or parallel to your optic?

Tnvc just sent out a cool newsletter on how to do this. If I recall it
Involved putting a glow stick on your bullseye at night. Align optic and laser. Adjust accordingly.

I've chosen to parallel zero my stuff. I measure the offset of my laser from my optic. Ie 1inch left 1 inch down. Then do the same as above with my optic, but put a 1inch it square at that offset distance from above. While holding my optic I adjust the laser till it reflects back. Remove ir square and confirm.
So in theory if i would hold over at a given distance 2 inches. My laser would need to be 1 inch lower and left for the same impact since its parallel to my optic. All that being said the bloom of the laser kinda makes that hold over mute since the circle gets big at distance.

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/mobile/article.php?id=894

This site explains the two methods. Their parallel example is if you didn't already have a zeroed optic but makes mention to my method at the end.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Gidday. Im assuming you are trying to match your day rifle scope with your IR laser?. We just stick our PVS-7`s on our heads , balance the rifle on something pointing at say the wall of a building. Look through the riflescope from behind and ajust the laser accordingly. AT NIGHT.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I typically just wait for dusk, and it's easiest if you have a partner:

Select a target at the preferred zeroing range (I prefer 200m) with a 90 degree angle, and use that corner as the aiming point (boresight panel).  

Using primary (and already zeroed!) day optic, lay the rifle on the aiming point and hold steady.  

Turn on laser (constant on if possible).  

Have your partner either adjust the laser to the aiming point while you hold the weapon steady, or "walk you on" by telling you which direction to adjust the laser.  

Switch with partner and confirm aiming point and adjustment - optic and laser should be coaligned at 200m.  

This method will allow you to effectively engage man sized targets out to 400m by simply aiming COM, without worrying about offsets at all, and takes about five to ten minutes to do with a partner.

You can confirm with live rounds, but as long as you're confident in your day zero, no rounds wasted, no funky math or offsets or strings involved.  Simple, easy, quick.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#4]
good ideas here. if railspace and equipment allows, you can borrow somebodys nv compatable optic (like a eo or aimpoint) and co-witness their red dot to your scope zero during the day, then allign laser to the nv compatable optic later at night
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Digital NV monoculars are very good for this - for checking IR stuff safely through the day...

Sometimes it's worth keeping them around for exactly this reason -

Regards

David
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Gidday. Im assuming you are trying to match your day rifle scope with your IR laser?. We just stick our PVS-7`s on our heads , balance the rifle on something pointing at say the wall of a building. Look through the riflescope from behind and ajust the laser accordingly. AT NIGHT.

That's the way I've been doing it with a pvs14.  You have to adjust the focus on the nv to get the get the reticle on the scope sharp.  Then adjust the laser until its centered.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2012 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the way I've been doing it with a pvs14.  You have to adjust the focus on the nv to get the get the reticle on the scope sharp.  Then adjust the laser until its centered.  

Yep pretty basic stuff really

Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:38:54 AM EDT
[#8]
you could get a cheapo visable laser and sight that in during the day, and then adjust the ir laser at night to your visable laser.

with a mono, it doesn't hurt to have a couple extra lasers laying around anyways, to put on spare pistols or the odd .22 rifle.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I use the standard 25m zero target with the offset box drawn on it, put glint tape on the center of mass of the zero target, place my zeroed optic over the offset box, then move the laser until it reflects off the glint tape, fire five rounds with the laser and confirm its hitting in the offset.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the parallel zero myself.

Have you read the tm on the dbal?

Most of the manuals describe the zero process.

If it is a dbal, the visible laser may be leaved to the ir laser.  If so, zero it in the day Jd confirm at night.

If not, zeroth visible and then using your nvg, zero the ir to the visible then confirm.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like the parallel zero myself.

Have you read the tm on the dbal?

Most of the manuals describe the zero process.

If it is a dbal, the visible laser may be leaved to the ir laser.  If so, zero it in the day Jd confirm at night.

If not, zeroth visible and then using your nvg, zero the ir to the visible then confirm.

Nope, it's not the DBAL.  It's the LDI OTAL which only has the single IR laser.  I look and see if I have a manual.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the ITAL and like a parallel zero.

I don't need a front sight backup on this one

For the OTAL or a side mounted laser just keep them parallel and use your Kentucky windage skills

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yup

Thats what I do. Biggest thing is you must adjust your focus to the scope(scope in my situation anyways.) May not have to adjust focus for the red dots, I am not sure though as I have never tried with a red dot.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top