Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 19
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Sky pup, did you experience any shift with the 50 using your day dope with the 4x?

By the way nice group with the thermal!
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have not had any POI shift on either my T-50 or T-60 with the ACOGs, Eotechs, or Leopold VX-R 1-4X Pig Plex scope. The rifles shoot the same with or without the thermals.

I just sighted in the ACOG 4X32mm LED on my other rifle with the T-50 last night in the backyard, I had an Eotech and 3X Magnifier on it previously but I have bad lenticular astigmatism and the ACOG is a better setup for my aged retinas.

Setup a cardboard box out at my game cam tree after blowing a hair dryer on the box for a couple of minutes to light it up. I had the rifle resting on a large log in my stand where I normally setup.

It shot very nice for a 16" carbine barrel with a 1:7" twist using the long Barnes 70 grain TSX copper pills, no problem. I am confident I have everything covered out to 225 lethal yards with this build.

I really am liking the FLIR thermals, the T-50 is a super nice instrument and is ready to go 2 seconds after I turn it on. At 4X through the ACOG it is beautiful.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out this 7.5MN WMV video of a coyote kill I made at two hundred yards with two shots using the FLIR.

Both shots on this dog were difficult and both hit paydirt.

This pretty much proves in real life that the thermal is right on the money!

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/ACOG%20TO2/Thermal%20Coyote%20Web.wmv
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Got a 10% off coupon from Optics Planet so ordered a nice Trijicon RMR 3.5 MOA Red Dot LED (RM01) to put on top for fast close ups.

Both the T-50 & T-60 already have an integrated mount for this red dot.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Steve Johnson at the FireArm Blog had a nice pic of a FN MK 46 with a FLIR T-50 mounted on it that he got to shoot full auto!

Link Posted: 8/28/2012 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#7]
The FLIRs have a built in mount for the Trijicon RMR red dot sights, so I installed the 3 MOA LED RM01 model for CQB:

Link Posted: 8/28/2012 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The FLIRs have a built in mount for the Trijicon RMR red dot sights, so I installed the 3 MOA LED RM01 model for CQB:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/Trijicon%20RMR/FLIR%20T50%20Trijicon%20RMR%20Right.jpg

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/Trijicon%20RMR/Trijicon%20RMR%20Sight%20View.jpg

That is a pretty awesome setup!
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#9]
The RMR Red Dot works way better than I had anticipated!

I have the 720nm IR Filter on the objective lens of the PVS-14 hanging over my left eye off my helmet and can see the NV environment real well and with my right eye I can simultaneously see a nice red dot that looks like a visible laser but isn't! Makes for a really great situational awareness with the NV and using my dark adapted eye to the RMR Red Dot!

Looking through the RMR with the PVS-14 with the 720nm IR filter on I cannot see the dot at all, but taking the filter off I get a good blooming green dot that blooms about the same as my 0.7mW IR laser does out of the DBAL-D2 without the IR Illuminator on. In other words, it is not too good through the PVS-14 NV as it blooms a little too much.

But using it with my dark adapted eye it works real good and real fast.

Pretty neat, I was not expecting this to be able to be used at night at all...
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Steve Johnson, the editor of the Firearm Blog, posted some pics:

http://networkedblogs.com/BuE8k
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I got RMR01 to make sure that it was ON all the time and I did not have to mess with any adjustments, ready to use at any time.

The Trijicon RMR06 adjustable LED is nice but you have to turn it on and adjust the settings, mine is on all the time ready to go.

Link Posted: 9/5/2012 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#13]
It figures, you being the NV expert that you are, that you would notice that!

I tried to get her to put on some sexy heels but it was a NO-GO...

What your trained perceptive eyes failed to note was how I installed that nice ACOG-T-50 interface sleeve that you send me that I never knew what it was for, until I finally figured it out!
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Got mine back from FLIR, took it out, zero is now perfect.

Tried it on 4 different rifles, shot from 100m-400m all perfect.

TA44s is my favorite to run it with.

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I shot a possum with mine @ 200 yards last night to add to the coyote bait pile, thing is freaking accurate as all hell.

The FLIR works absolutely fantastic with the ACOG 4X32 TA02.

Glad to hear that yours is working good, did you ever find out what was the matter with it?
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Glad to hear that yours is working good, did you ever find out what was the matter with it?

They replaced the board and lens, so I guess those were off a bit.

Pretty quick turn around and good customer service, very happy with that.

Thanks to TNVC for helping with that as well.

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#17]
That's really great news and glad to hear it about both FLIR & TNVC!

I have noticed visually with mine that there is movement of my reticule at 2X and 4X internal digital zoom as compared to standard 1X, however I have never tried to actually target something and shoot it using the digital zoom powers, I only shoot at 1X.

I would think if you were using the T-50 as a stand alone weapon sight using the internal digital reticules and internal digital magnifications that it would work fine, but when using an external magnified optic it doesn't stay aligned at the higher internal digital magnifictions.

I just use the higher powers for zooming in scans and go back to 1X power for actual shooting.

Thanks for the info and good luck with your scope, it is a winner in my book.

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The FLIR works absolutely fantastic with the ACOG 4X32 TA02.

I have a 3x TA33 and a 4x TA31 as well. The TA33 has a little too small field of view but otherwise works well. The TA31 is my second favorite after the TA44s, the 1.5x of the 44 is really really nice and clear while looking through the FLIR.

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#19]
That is a great looking setup you have with the different ACOGs!

Glad that you got repaired and that it works like it should.

The fact that this instrument is an easy  clip-on/clip-off really makes it a fantastic hunting sight!

I have run it in front of an ACOG TA02 4X32, Eotech with and without 3X Magnifier, Leopold VX-R 1-4X-30mm Pig Plex Red Dot, and a Leopold VX-R 3-9X-50mm and result were all excellent up to 4X.

I am keeping the 4X ACOG on it since my cartridge-rifle combo is lethal out to 225 max yards.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Darn, I am so pumped!

Got home from work and setup my FoxPro Prairie Blaster in the backyard about 20 minutes before sundown.

Ran twenty minutes of CowTip Cottontail and two rounds of Coyote Invitation and next thing I know two big 'yotes show up on the far side of the prairie pond about 275 yards out. I watch them for a minute as they come into the edge of the tree line on the FLIR PS-32 and turn on my FLIR T-50 Thermal Scope.

Next thing I know they are both running full bore right at me! I shot the follower and he rolled and the lead dog took off and I shot at him four times missing each time. The wounded dog got up and ran a few yards and fell and then got back up and ran into the dense underbrush. I went in trying to find him with the thermal but no luck, the mosquitoes are absolutely impossible.

Will go out and look for him tomorrow when I get home from work, but man what an awesome adrenaline pump it was having two of them charge me in the dark on the thermal!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Darn, I am so pumped!

Got home from work and setup my FoxPro Prairie Blaster in the backyard about 20 minutes before sundown.

Ran twenty minutes of CowTip Cottontail and two rounds of Coyote Invitation and next thing I know two big 'yotes show up on the far side of the prairie pond about 275 yards out. I watch them for a minute as they come into the edge of the tree line on the FLIR PS-32 and turn on my FLIR T-50 Thermal Scope.

Next thing I know they are both running full bore right at me! I shot the follower and he rolled and the lead dog took off and I shot at him four times missing each time. The wounded dog got up and ran a few yards and fell and then got back up and ran into the dense underbrush. I went in trying to find him with the thermal but no luck, the mosquitoes are absolutely impossible.

Will go out and look for him tomorrow when I get home from work, but man what an awesome adrenaline pump it was having two of them charge me in the dark on the thermal!!!

I'm jealous! Sounds like a great time!
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I am shooting handloaded Barnes 70 grain TSX exclusively since I often am confronted with hogs up to 400+ pounds anytime I am out.

The 70 gr TSX pretty much drills through a coyote with minimal damage unless a bone is hit and it tumbles- otherwise it just passes through them.

Not the best for 'yotes but will have to do since I always end up seeing more hogs than coyotes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Whelp, it was raining again tonight but the mosquitoes were not so bad. We went out and check two different spots that we have been monitoring for hog signs and nailed a hog at each spot.

First spot was near a feeder we had hiked out about a mile to and spotted this boar out about 300 yards with the FLIR PS-32 and sneaked in closer to get a line on him, finally layed down on the wet ground to get a good prone shot since it was 150 yards out, turned on the FLIR T-50 and shot him through the lungs with a Barnes 70 grain TSX, he went about 25 feet and collapsed.

Walked back to the truck and drove in and loaded up this boar and then left and drove a couple miles over to another spot we have set up a live trap, feeder, and stand.

Rain was still drizzling and real quiet with no wind. Was on the stand for about two hours when I saw this sow cross over a jeep trail about 1/4 mile out. Waited another good hour and was about to leave to head home when I noticed some faint thermal images with the FLIR PS-32 in a dense thicket about 100 yards out, could not tell what it was but figured it was a coon since a family of seven coons had been going in and out of the live trap.

Walked over to the thicket and turned on the FLIR T-50 and saw the outline of a hog in the thick woods but could not see anything with the PVS-14 and IR Illuminators, put the ACOG crosshairs on the lungs and did a Double Tap since the woods were so thick there I did not want to be trying to walk

around trying to find a dead hog in a dense underbrush. Hog made it about ten feet and dropped dead! Had to drag it out of the thicket about 50 feet to the trail.

Link Posted: 9/16/2012 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 6:00:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Your right on, Vic, we never would have seen or noticed that hog with the NVO, thermal brought home the bacon 100%.

Link Posted: 9/19/2012 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Another one bit the dust last night...

Link Posted: 9/19/2012 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#27]
He's good eating size. I see you roughed it dragging him out.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Was in the backyard tonight after sunset with the FoxPro Prairie Blaster setup playing "Cow Tip Cotton Tail".

Had the caller around 60 feet out in front of me hanging on a pine tree about four feet off the ground.

I had just started calling from my stand and within 30 seconds I noticed a heat signature about 250 yards out with the FLIR PS-32, immediately switched over to the FLIR T-50 Thermal Weapon Sight and zeroed in on this nice Bobcat. He slowly came in over a period of about 15 minutes and finally sat down on the edge of the tree canopy 150 yards out so that I could take aim at him.

Shot him once through the heart and he jumped about five feet in the air about a dozen times and ran 25 feet or so and died.

Too bad I did not have the video camera hooked up....

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I just love it when I see that this thread has a new post, your rig is spectacular.  Couple questions for you about the T-50 and T-60 since I'll be getting a thermal clip-on next year when I finally graduate:

1.  How many rail spaces are required between the objective lens of the day scope and another object mounted on the top rail (a front BUIS for example).  
2.  What is the correct height above the rail to have a scope mounted so that it aligns properly w/ the FLIR?  I have most of my optics in Larue LT-104s, I hope those will work.
3.  Does the lens assembly clear a front BUIS when flipped up?

I cannot wait to get one of these things but I'd like to take the time I have before I buy to make sure that I will be able to use it w/ pretty much anything I have.  Also, for the T-50, is the stand-alone sight capability actually useable or does it look like you're staring through a straw?  Also, for the stand-alone mode, what reticle choices are there and does it give you coordinates for the zero point so they can be recorded for multiple platforms?
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#30]
I'll try to answer these questions the best I can:

1. The objective lens of the FLIR is raised to see over the entire front rail so that the DBALs do not interfere with the view, it does not matter how many rail spaces there are since none of the stuff mounted in front of the T-50 is seen or interferes.

2.The standard height of any 4X ACOG is what it was specifically designed for, when I used my Leopold and Burris 1-4X scopes, I had to use either medium or high Burris XTR scope rings, even without a perfect match, you can still use the scope by mounting it a couple of rail spaces further away from the ocular lens on the T-50. The best setup is an ACOG or Eotech as they work perfectly. You will have to try your scope to see how it lines up.

3.My DBALs do not interfere, so a front sight will not interfere either.

4.It has 4 internal reticules, standard cross hairs,etc., one of them is a BDC reticule for a Browning M-2 Machine Gun. Each stand alone mode is adjustable to move the POA where ever you need to move it, it does not give you coordinates so that you can record it for various rifle mounts, you would have to rezero it on each different rifle if you are using the internal reticules. Not sure if there is a POI shift when using the internal magnification of 2X & 4X when using the internal reticules, I have not tried that. I always shoot with it on one power using an external scope behind it.

Maybe Vic can tell more about your questions than I can?
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#31]
BTW, just for your info, my 552 NV Eotechs do not have a riser, they are mounted flat onto the rail and they all work perfect with the T-50.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the info, you and your DVR are probably the best advertisements for these things that FLIR could ever hope for.  I would REALLY like to see the Insight CNVD-T3 come WAY down in price but I'm sure I'll be thrilled w/ whichever I get.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Haha, FLIR is lucky to have me using their fine instruments, that's for sure. And I feel fortunate to be able to afford to use them too, night hunting is a totally different experience using FLIR equipment with my ITT NVO gear.

I try to take some good pics and videos when we are out and about, will be working on some hog and coyote videos this fall once things cool down a bit and the mosquitoes vanish.

The oak acorns just started dropping off the trees in the hardwood hammocks and the hogs are on the move sniffing them out now, things are slowing changing as the season is changing.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Just curious, do you prefer the T-50 over the T60?  I only ask because it seems like, according to your pictures, you use it more.  I would really like to get the T-60 next spring due to the higher resolution, but if there is a reason you prefer the T-50 please share.  I'd hate to spend several $K more for something that I am going to like less.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Could you please share the setup you are using to record the video out?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:28:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Jumped another sow while walking down a forest jeep trail tonight, she was in the thick woods rooting up some acorns in a hardwood hammock, one shot right below the ear with the FLIR T-50 and Barnes 70 grain TSX and she fell over dead right there.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just curious, do you prefer the T-50 over the T60?  I only ask because it seems like, according to your pictures, you use it more.  I would really like to get the T-60 next spring due to the higher resolution, but if there is a reason you prefer the T-50 please share.  I'd hate to spend several $K more for something that I am going to like less.

I like them both very much, the T-50 is a more versatile unit because it has more adjustments for the display including 5 brightness levels, 1X, 2X, 4X internal magnification, 4 nice adjustable internal reticules, and an automatic NUC on start-up.

The T-60 has no brightness adjustments, no internal reticules, two 0.5X and 1.0X magnifications, and you have to perform a manual NUC when you turn it on.

I am not shooting anything past 200 yards max at night and 95% of the time I am shooting under 100 yards, both units perform about the same out to that distance. The T-50 takes a 4X ACOG just fine and so does the T-60 but you can mount a 6X scope on the T-60 before it degrades the picture.

As far as DVR recorders, all you need is a NTSC 30fps 640X480 model with an AV input jack. The best one I have is a high end waterproof model http://www.x20.org/waterproof-dvr-micro-digital-video-recorder.

A good lithium rechargeable battery and 4GB of recording memory is plenty. Most of the ones made in China are next to junk, the ones made in Taiwan or Japan are much more reliable. Lawman, Rage Cams, Stunt Cams, Eye Spy, etc. make compatible models but the cheaper ones are just that, cheap.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like them both very much, the T-50 is a more versatile unit because it has more adjustments for the display including 5 brightness levels, 1X, 2X, 4X internal magnification, 4 ncie adkustable internal reticules, and an automatic NUC on startup.

The T-60 has no brightness adjustments, no internal reticules, two 0.5X and 1.0X magnifications, and you have to perform a manual NUC when you turn it on.

I am not shooting anything past 200 yards max at night and 95% of the time I am shooting under 100 yards, both units perform about the same out to that distance. The T-50 takes a 4X ACOG just fine and so does the T-60 but you can mount a 6X scope on the T-60 before it degrades the picture.

As far as DVR recorders, all you need is a NTSC 30fps 640X480 model with an AV input jack. The best one I have is a high end waterproof model http://www.x20.org/waterproof-dvr-micro-digital-video-recorder.

A good lithium rechargeable battery and 4GB of recording memory is plenty. Most of the ones made in China are next to junk, the ones made in Taiwan or Japan are much more reliable. Lawman, Rage Cams, Stunt Cams, Eye Spy, etc. make compatible models but the cheaper ones are just that, cheap.

I love the fact that that one can function as a stand-alone optic.  Is that mode pretty useable, or does it still sort of look like you're staring down a tube?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Okay, I made a video for you so that you can see what the FLIR T-50 Thermal does on its own with NO optics, just raw video through the instrument.

When I am looking through the ACOG TA02 4X32 optic behind the FLIR, I see the same thing times 4X with the reticule in the view, and it is a round view instead of a rectangle like in the video.

The oak tree with the squirrel beside it is at a laser measured 175 yards, the treeline behind in the distance is 225 to 275 yards.

The video was made at night with very high humidity and sweltering heat, if it were to cool down to 40-50*F it would be improved by 200%+.

The raw video is exactly what you see when holding the FLIR as a stand alone or weapon mounted sight with no external optics.

The video is compressed and actually is about 2X better than what you are seeing on your computer. The real thing is much better than the video.

The rectangular view is 320X240 in a vertical rectangle as you see here in this video, when you look through an optic behind the FLIR you do not see the rectangular view, you see a round view.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T50/FLIR%20T50%20Raw%20Video.wmv
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#40]
You are the man, thank you for the video.  If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a million.  I think the T50 is going to be the one I go w/ instead of the T60.  Maybe between now and next June the Insight CNVD-T3 will come WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY down in price (yeah right) and I can get one of those.  By the looks of your pics and videos I'm sure I'll be pleased as pie w/ the T50 if that's the one I wind up buying.  Thank you again for all the pics and video!
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Here is a visible day picture of what you were looking at through the FLIR T-50 at night, if it had not been sooooo HOT and MUGGY, the thermal would have performed much much better:

Also, the original NTSC 30fps video output of the T-50 was 28MB and the video is compressed down to 7MB, losing 75% of the pixels.

So, you can trust me when I say that the real thing is much much better than any internet video....
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Here are a couple of Cottontails @175 yards through the FLIR T-60 in the exact same place as the squirrel in the previous T-50 video for comparison:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T60/Flir%20T60%20Bunnies.wmv

The performance of the two units is almost identical out to 250 yards because they both have the same size expensive germanium lenses......
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Well, perseverance off! I have been after this dog all week now....

Was out with my FoxPro Prairie Blaster playing CowTip Cottontail @ 10:15PM and 30 seconds after I turned on the caller this nice furry 'yote came charging in out of the deep woods.

Picked his thermal image up with the FLIR PS 32 and turned on the FLIR T-50 and shot him once through the heart @ 150 yards with a handloaded Barnes 70gr. TSX.

FLIR Thermals ROCK!

Link Posted: 10/12/2012 12:55:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Was out with my FoxPro Prairie Blaster playing CowTip Cottontail @ 10:15PM and 30 seconds after I turned on the caller this nice furry 'yote came charging in out of the deep woods.

Picked his thermal image up with the FLIR PS 32 and turned on the FLIR T-50 and shot him once through the heart @ 150 yards with a handloaded Barnes 70gr. TSX.

FLIR Thermals ROCK!

What are the specs on your PS32?  For a spotter only, what model do you see as current state of the art.  Instalert for me is pretty much minimum requirement for this role.  How far out can you detect a hog with the PS32?  I'm thinking of doing a hunters combination soon inspired by yours.  A handheld spotter for detection and then a T50 with ACOG for the shot.  Looks like a superior setup for night hunts.  I also will have a PVS-14 on helmet mount for navigation with IR laser & illumination on the rifle for aiming rifles/pistol as backup.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 1:51:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Nice work. I was pondering getting a second PVS-14 to mate up with my other once I finish my PVS-4 build, but now you have me drooling for a thermal spotting scope.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Here he was on the game cam three days ago eating the offal from my last three hogs:

Took me three days to nail him but it is a great feeling to be able to hunt him like that and take him down when I knew he was in the area close by.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FLIR Thermals ROCK!

What are the specs on your PS32?  For a spotter only, what model do you see as current state of the art.  Instalert for me is pretty much minimum requirement for this role.  How far out can you detect a hog with the PS32?  I'm thinking of doing a hunters combination soon inspired by yours.  A handheld spotter for detection and then a T50 with ACOG for the shot.  Looks like a superior setup for night hunts.  I also will have a PVS-14 on helmet mount for navigation with IR laser & illumination on the rifle for aiming rifles/pistol as backup.

The FLIR PS-32 has the same 320X240 microbolometer as the FLIR T-50 Thermal Scope, but it only has a 19mm lens instead of a 60mm lens.

The FLIR PS-32 is a good deal, the new L-32 (19mm lens)or L-64 (35mm lens) is much nicer but more pricey by a factor of 2X, but I would covet owning one of the new LS models, especially the LS-64 640X480. I am salivating over getting the new FLIR L-64 handheld once Chip and Vic do an in-depth review of this instrument.

The InstaAlert on the PS-32 works excellent, I can detect a coyote, hog, deer out to 500 yards in an open area, sometime more if weather and environmental conditions are good.

What you are talking about, PS-32 for detection, T-50 for shooting, PVS-14 and IR Laser/Illum is exactly what I am using, I use the NV gear to take out anything on the way out to my stands, once I get there I use the PS-32 and T-50.

Works like a charm....

FLIR Thermals ROCK!!!

Link Posted: 10/12/2012 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#48]
If you were going to buy one thermal first which would it be? Not knowing how the LS-64 will be would you purchase the viewer or the scope first?
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#49]
It kinda depends on your situation.

First off, the PS-32 or other handheld FLIR Thermal scanners allow you to detect at least 1000% more than your NV gear normally allows you to detect. If you already have some nice NV gear (helmet, NVO, NV optic, IR laser, IR illum) then having a thermal scanner will drastically increase your awareness of any warm blooded animal out past 1/4 mile away easily. Also, you are free to scan and detect 360 degrees around you.

With a Thermal Weapon Scope, you do not want to be scanning with a loaded weapon. Your field of view is limited and best utilized for taking the shot.

In my situation, with adequate NV gear to begin with, the handheld Thermal Scanner increased my detection by a factor of 10X, the Thermal Weapon Scope increased my kills by a factor of about 5X over my NV gear alone.

I would get a scanner before I got a scope.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#50]
I had a flir m24 and sold it to get a thermal scope, I was looking at a flir t60 but have since decided against the t60. I was looking at the mini Thor units but keep wondering if I should get the ls-64 then look at getting a scope, should have kept the m24, I am fixated on the 640x480 wish I could look thru both to decide if there was that much difference.

Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top