Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked DIY Cascade Tube Thread... (Page 13 of 17)
Page / 17
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:05:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Hi Julian,

thank you for replying.
I send you another email to: [email protected]
my mail: [email protected]

Regards
Dudosk
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Simon Is testing some tubes for you, will be sent Tomorrow Fri 29th Aug.....Cheers,

Julian.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:03:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi Julien,

i just received the tube yesterday.
After brief connection to 6V power supply, it went on with a green glow from the back.
Thank you.

Couldn't play with it more because of time...
Hope i can post here my first NV photo soon.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:38:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Hi Guys, new at this. I have bought a P8079HP from Julian starlightnv.co.uk. bought his kit for build also. I have sent him a few emails and no response. All i need is someone to advise how his battery box he supplied needs to be wired up and also what type of batteries go in this thing? Would appreciate any help on this, picture, link or a scribble on how to do would be great.

P.S everyone on this web site, this is all your fault after reading forum on building a night vision scope got hooked bad :-)

Thanks in Advance
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#5]
If you look at my blog, under the "Construction" link here

http://imageintensifier.blogspot.co.uk/p/blog-page_3831.html

about half way down the page I describe how I wired mine.  Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:40:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PrincePlanet] [#6]
Hi, thankyou for your reply but unfortunately this doesn't help. I have a different rotary toggle switch which was supplied from Startlight. This one has a separate switch and battery (picture Attached)

Damn i don't even know how to attach a image on here so all can see.

Big thank you Anyway guys. Hopefully i might hear from Julian. Cheers
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:50:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: adrian_nwf] [#7]
I get inspired by this post and cj7hawk a year ago or so.
I just finished the V 2 and began working in a binocular.

What you see it is actually much more sharp:

Yes, not a real gun just to see how it works RIS Mounted in a AR:

--Specs:

-V1:
Custom PVC Housing.
50mm 1:1.7 lens.
Cheap Jewelery loupe.
4x 1.5v AA Batteries.
Single Switch.

-V2:
Custom PVC Housing.
50mm 1:1.4 lens
PVS 2 Ocular
2x 3v Button Cells.
Double Switch

Both are waterproof and shockproof tested hahaha

I will post the binos when I finish them. I am thinking about to built a gain control but i dont know if it will work...

Best regards and thank you for the info to built it.

Adrián.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:19:03 AM EDT
[#8]
it sure looks the part :) Nice work -

David
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:49:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Good job and nice looking scope !
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:29:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you guys!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:06:07 AM EDT
[#11]
hi,Adrian

that's really cool design.

for your next builds i would suggest to use one of those ultra fast x-ray objective lenses.
for example,they are much brighter than original PVS-2 catadioptric lens,which is 95mm/1.2.
OTOH,they weight a lot - 500...700g.

they can be found on ebay sometimes for as low as 45 euros including shipping (75mm/1.1 lens)

lens make HUGE difference in performance of NOD.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:58:55 AM EDT
[#12]
snapped a few pics about how such lens looks like on scope.
unfortunately i gave away cascade scope,i have gen2 only for this moment.sorry!

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:39:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Good idea...very nice scope i would paint it in mate black to go for the look ;)

What kind of swich is that?

I am thinking about using these too (Russian PO-109-1a Lens 1:1.2 F=50mm).
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:24:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hatti] [#14]
thank you.

yes scope is rather unattractive right now.
i plan either to powder coat metal housing or blacken it by heating and dipping it in mineral oil.

this tube has adjustable gain,so the on/off switch is combined on same shaft with variable resistor.
some old soviet radio part,i found it in junk.

i have one PO-109,it is projector lens.
my very first lens.

if you already have it,use it - no problem.
if you are planning to buy it - do not pay too much for it.

edit:
just want to add a couple of photos

po -109 50mm/1.2 vs rodenstock TV heligon 75mm/1.1 comparison

and i did some .22LR plinking last night,using scope from posts above.
distance 100 meters,no moon,90% clear sky.
here is result.

except for 4 stray shots,the rest are in 2x3 inch area.
i'd say,good enough for DIY scope and DIY barrel.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:01:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ditto] [#15]
So, like pretty much everyone else on here it seems, I have been captivated by the possibility of having my own night vision device for a relatively low cost.. I have ordered an HP version tube from Julian and can't wait to receive it.

I understand the basics of this project and how it works, but not which components yield the best device. I want to build the best functioning unit I can at a *relatively* low cost. I have came across an original AN/PVS-2 housing and objective lens (95mm, F 1.2). How does that lens, already in place and ready for a tube compare to a (very heavy) Rodenstock XR Heligon 68mm F 1.0 lens?

Also, from reading this forum I believe the general consensus is that the original PVS-2 eyepiece is the best way to go.. what is an alternative (if it matters) for the 95mm and 68mm lens?

Thanks for any input!

*EDIT* My third objective lens option is a "dirty" Rodenstock 42mm F 0.75. Would this one yield the best performance if I could get is sufficiently clean?

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:58:40 AM EDT
[#16]
hello,

although PVS-2 lens has impressive numbers,in real life it is not so great.
may be it is related to its age and mirror surface degrading,i don't know...

i suspect that these Rodenstock lenses (especially 42mm) may have too small image circle,insufficient to cover 25mm photocathode.
ask seller BEFORE purchasing!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#17]
How is it possible to tell the size of a lens' image circle?

What is your favorite lens hatti?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ditto:
How is it possible to tell the size of a lens' image circle?

What is your favorite lens hatti?
View Quote

as far as i know,
these lenses project image very close to rear flange of the objective (even too close to work with glass entrance tubes - at least TV 75/1.1 cannot be used with gen3 f9800 ANVIS tube),
so the image circle size is more or less similar to size of rear glass element.

these lenses i tried and was happy with:

TV Heligon 75mm/1.125 (has built in focusing) - my favorite.
TV Heligon 75mm/1.1
XR Heligon 75mm/1.1
Kowa 55mm/1(little vignetting,but very bright)

hope it helps..
somehow...
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Ah I understand! Not why the lenses behave that way, but why they can't be used! Thank you.

Back to the drawing board (eBay).
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:41:02 AM EDT
[#20]
I just ordered a P8079HP tube from Starlight NV UK at about 9am UK time. I wonder how long until it arrives in Sydney Australia.

If this goes smoothly I will be grabbing a few more.

Great thread David!  
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By cj7hawk:
OK, some files for anyone who wants to try building a 3D printed model of the cascade scope - The files are on Shapeways, with zero markup, but you can download them from there and print them up anyway.

Shapeways, with Download -

Ocular Assembly -
Focus: http://shpws.me/o8LZ
Lockring: http://shpws.me/o8LR
Lens Cell Carrier: http://shpws.me/o8LS
Ocular Cap: http://shpws.me/o8LQ

Objective: http://shpws.me/o8LV

Battery Assembly -
Battery Box: http://shpws.me/o8LU
Cap: http://shpws.me/o8LT

Parts go together like this:
http://aunv.blackice.com.au/userfiles/david-IMG_0501_Custom.JPG

Hopefully, it should all fit within a ND 3" piece of PVC-tube... Fingers crossed.

As I update the parts, they will be here: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/dropbeartech

Well, the 3D files are up with the shapeways models, and they are at zero markup anyway, but if anyone has access to a 3D printer, you can download the STL files for each and print them yourself for very little.

Hope this helps :) If anyone prints one up and checks it, please let me know how it goes with 3" ND PVC.

Thanks
David
View Quote

I've read this whole thread over a number of days (slow, easily distracted reader ).  Now I have multiple questions.

For your Shapeways build, do I need to buy all the parts for the ocular?  Does it work with the original PVS-2 eyepiece?  

Also, are there any good, decent priced objective lenses on Amazon that work with your parts?

I hope I can get the tube from Starlight, buy your Shapeways parts, hit up eBay for a PVS-2 eyepiece, get an objective
from Amazon, and get the PVC and threaded rod/nuts at work.  Other than that, I just need a power source, right?  I'm
planning on using a gutted 2xCR123A flashlight with a tailcap switch.

Also, I saw one reference to setting up a camera/iPhone adapter.  Anyone else try that?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By cj7hawk:
OK, with respect to the original PVS-2 style eyepieces - which are VERY convenient and make this a simple project...

http://aunv.blackice.com.au/cgi-bin/nightvision/forum?index=projects&story=cascade&chapter=3DplasticVARO&function=read

Here you will find two STL files ( just like the 3D printed AR15 ! ) -

The first is the objective end - just clean up, soften it around the flange with some solvent, and you can fit a 5mm C-mount spacer in there as a metal threaded flange... The spacers cost about $3 each.

The second  is the ocular end - and it's designed to take the VARO style lens - just slot it in, then fit the tube between them, open up the holes a little more with a file or drill ( I kept them close and tight ) and assemble with some 3mm threaded rod.

Then just add power - :) Easy -

I don't know what it will cost to print the parts. If you know someone with a printer, then a few dollars. Otherwise it should be possible to print out at most UPS stores - and they will quote on it - Just ask for ABS plastic. Should cost well under $100.

These two parts make it much easier to assemble - everything snaps together and the focal lengths are all planned out - but if you can't get infinity focus ( ie, the flange is too far from the photocathode )then a flat bastard file ( what do you call those in the US? ) gently and slowly ( keep it flat !!! ) will take off tenths of a millimeter at a pass... And you can get it perfectly 17.5mm for all C-mount lenses.

Hope this helps :) These two files are PUBLIC DOMAIN so can be copied and sent anywhere.  Feel free to use in manufacturing... Whatever.

Regards
David

View Quote

Now I remembered seeing this.  If I sent the above file to Shapeways, is that all I'd need for the eyepiece?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:32:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Also, I saw one reference to setting up a camera/iPhone adapter. Anyone else try that?
View Quote

hello,
there is a thread (diameter approx 46.3,pitch 1mm) for eyecup mounting,you can utilize it for camera adapter of some sort.

i use fujifilm hs10 camera with that metal adapter.
and delrin adapter for cheap car DVR.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By kwiktech:
I just ordered a P8079HP tube from Starlight NV UK at about 9am UK time. I wonder how long until it arrives in Sydney Australia.

If this goes smoothly I will be grabbing a few more.

Great thread David!  
View Quote

Guess what I'm holding!

8 Business days from the UK to Sydney Australia.

That has to be some sort of record!

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:19:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Raptor22] [#25]
Shill for an Ebay seller spamming the NV Tech Forum - Raptor22
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#26]
David, would I just need your Shapeways PVS-2 and objective housing to go along with the lenses, PVC, rods, power
source, and tube to do a build?  Are there any other pieces for the PVS-2 ocular that go with the housing for the PVS-2
eyepiece?

Also, I'm having a hard time sourcing a metric threaded for of that size.  Would I be able to substitute 1/8" rods instead of
the M3?  That would be about 0.175mm in diameter larger than the M3...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:36:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cj7hawk] [#27]

Originally Posted By TheMountaineer:

David, would I just need your Shapeways PVS-2 and objective housing to go along with the lenses, PVC, rods, power

source, and tube to do a build?  Are there any other pieces for the PVS-2 ocular that go with the housing for the PVS-2

eyepiece?

Also, I'm having a hard time sourcing a metric threaded for of that size.  Would I be able to substitute 1/8" rods instead of

the M3?  That would be about 0.175mm in diameter larger than the M3...

Thanks!
View Quote

Hi,

There are just two pieces if you use the PVS-2 ocular - the ocular retaining ring and the objective - power, rods, cover etc can all be easily sourced locally.

However there is a 5mm C-mount spacer in the design - to install this, you soften the ABS around the objective with MEK or acetone, and force a 5mm spacer in there, and it will lock in tight!

5mm spacers are a few dollars on Ebay - eg, like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Aluminum-CS-Mount-Lens-to-C-Mount-Camera-Adapter-Ring-/390681334494?pt=US_Filter_Rings_Holders&hash=item5af66c12de

They seem to be getting more expensive lately, but no idea why - I usually get them for a few dollars each - I suspect if you search ebay long enough you will too - But that looks like the same one I use. Others should still work, but the design is for that particular one.

This part either presses or hammers in until flush, and forms the mount flange for the lens. A second one allows use of C-mount lenses ( One by itself is for CS-mount ) as the difference between the two lenses is 5mm.

Regards

David

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Hi all, I was reading the thread until my eyes got sour so i decided just to ask.
You guys have the experience and I would like to hear your opinion about my list for my build:

Firs of all I'm am working according to this guide:
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Cascade-Night-Vision-Scope/

List:
1. cctv lens 50mm 1.4 35$
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6289493379.html

2. Luope as ocular (pvs-2 too rare, and costs much) 6$
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6290428600.html

3. 4 1.5V battery box 3$
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6290444240.html

4. Rubber for eye piece 3$
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6290464096.html

5. Israeli suplus cascade tube 100$

6. Gun mounts x2 10$
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6289867274.html

Total: 157$ without the housing build.

My biggest concern is the eye piece, I've noticed that almost all of you used the PVS2 oculars,  but those are too expensive for me, I'm trying to make it cheap and good. Is there better option? Or the loupe will do fine?
Also i would like for helpful tips and suggestion that can improve my build.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, I ordered the 2 Shapeways housings, the mount adapter David listed above, and this objective.

I still need a PVS-2 eyepiece, housing, tube, M3 hardware, and power supply.  Slowly but surely I'll get this beast put together.

(As a complete aside, does anyone have any advice on a free, easy to use CAD program for 3D printing?  IM me if you know
of a good candidate the thread isn't thrown off-topic.)
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:07:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sturmgewehr-58] [#30]
Originally Posted By YuriFink:
My biggest concern is the eye piece, I've noticed that almost all of you used the PVS2 oculars,  but those are too expensive for me, I'm trying to make it cheap and good. Is there better option? Or the loupe will do fine?
Thanks
View Quote

The loupe should work just fine. I used one very similar for mine.

Oh, and welcome
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:04:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hatti] [#31]

My biggest concern is the eye piece, I've noticed that almost all of you used the PVS2 oculars, but those are too expensive for me, I'm trying to make it cheap and good. Is there better option? Or the loupe will do fine?
Thanks
View Quote

before purchasing PVS-2 eyepiece i did use  25mm plossl telescope eyepiece as low cost option .
i paid $18 for it.
seemed fine to me.
though i do not know whether it is much better than loupe or not...

another cheap option may be Israeli surplus pvs-5 eyepiece.
they go for $25 with diopter adjustment mechanism
or
$15 just for lens assembly.

but as they are designed to work with 18mm tube,
i am not sure if they will cover whole 25 mm screen.

EDIT: pvs-5 ocular DOES cover entire screen and can be used.
just tried.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:13:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks Sturmgewehr-58 and hatti.

Ill try the loupe first to check how it works, lets see how cheap but good can I make it =)
The PVS 5 is a good option!
Ill post my progress when the parts will arrive.
Thx for the help.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#33]
My Shapeways parts are now in production.

I still need to order the tube, ocular, small parts, PVC, and power source.

It'll probably take me a while to gather all this stuff, but I'm still excited.  I'm really interested to see how the housings
turn out.  I'll post pics here when they arrive.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Are both of these eyepieces from the PVS-2?

Varo eyepiece with rubber eye shield $90.00

Varo eyepiece $65.00

If they're both PVS-2 eyepieces, I like the one with the eye shield, but I'd rather find a cheaper eye shield and save some of the $25 difference.

My objective came today.  I plan on ordering the rest of the parts soon, and the two housing pieces should be delivered within a few days.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:43:50 AM EDT
[#35]
yes,they are both PVS-2 eyepieces.
i have one eyecup and i hate that thing - it is super inconvenient and crops field of view.
only good thing about it is the shutter.

$90 one also has locking nut.
if you are going to use 3D printed parts,you do not need to pay extra $5 for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lens-for-VARO-Night-Vision-Monocular-Eyepiece-Device-Rubber-Eye-Shield-/131069076120?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e84536298
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Many thanks for all the information generously given by everyone who has learnt this stuff the hard/expensive way.

Even though it is massive, I would like to to rifle mount it (for airsoft) or use it as a spotter scope. Is the PVS-2 the way to go for the best eyerelief, bearing in mind that I will also be wearing goggles (Bolle X800)?

What size is the PVS-2 ocular? Ie if used with a 50mm objective lense, what would the magnification be, if any?

Ideally I would like a good field of view but also have the option for greater magnification depending on the field i am playing at. I have found 2 lenses that I would like your opinion on and also some additional filters.

Option 1 would be a  12.5-75/1.2  FUJINON-TV ZOOM LENS H6X12.5R. I believe that this could be c-mounted and would give me the option of both a wide field of view or zoomed to give me more magnification but dont really know if the F number would be too high at 75mm.

Option 2 is this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50mm-f-1-4-C-mount-CCTV-lens-for-Olympus-Panasonic-Micro-4-3-M43-E-P5-GF6-macro-/330998442643?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

This is a 50mm cctv lens. The only thing that puts me off is that it says that its macro and not suitable for "landscape photography", is that an issue?

I wondered if these 2 filter lenses could be used to give a wide field of view or magnification as required.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140739978333?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D140739978333%26_rdc%3D1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Professional-52mm-2x-2-0x-tele-TelePhoto-Converter-lens-nikon-d3200-D90-/130753815584?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item1e7188e420

If neither objective lens are suitable please could you reccomend another (ideally from a UK seller, for speed and warrenty)

Also how far approximately should I put the lense from the input window and where do I measure from? (17.5mm from top of c-mount?)

Thanks

Neal
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:03:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By bobsboy2007:

Many thanks for all the information generously given by everyone who has learnt this stuff the hard/expensive way.

Even though it is massive, I would like to to rifle mount it (for airsoft) or use it as a spotter scope. Is the PVS-2 the way to go for the best eyerelief, bearing in mind that I will also be wearing goggles (Bolle X800)?

What size is the PVS-2 ocular? Ie if used with a 50mm objective lense, what would the magnification be, if any?

Ideally I would like a good field of view but also have the option for greater magnification depending on the field i am playing at. I have found 2 lenses that I would like your opinion on and also some additional filters.

Option 1 would be a  12.5-75/1.2  FUJINON-TV ZOOM LENS H6X12.5R. I believe that this could be c-mounted and would give me the option of both a wide field of view or zoomed to give me more magnification but dont really know if the F number would be too high at 75mm.

Option 2 is this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50mm-f-1-4-C-mount-CCTV-lens-for-Olympus-Panasonic-Micro-4-3-M43-E-P5-GF6-macro-/330998442643?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

This is a 50mm cctv lens. The only thing that puts me off is that it says that its macro and not suitable for "landscape photography", is that an issue?

I wondered if these 2 filter lenses could be used to give a wide field of view or magnification as required.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140739978333?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D140739978333%26_rdc%3D1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Professional-52mm-2x-2-0x-tele-TelePhoto-Converter-lens-nikon-d3200-D90-/130753815584?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item1e7188e420

If neither objective lens are suitable please could you reccomend another (ideally from a UK seller, for speed and warrenty)

Also how far approximately should I put the lense from the input window and where do I measure from? (17.5mm from top of c-mount?)

Thanks

Neal

View Quote

C-mounts in a DSLR are only good for "macro" photography as they are too far away from the sensor for distance focus - In a NV scope, they are fine.

PVS_2 lens is around 30~35mm focal lenght I'd guess. With a 50mm objective, magnification is around 1.5x.

The Cmount flange should be 17.5mm from the photocathode surface. 12.5mm for CSmount.

With the PVS-2 lens, eye relief is sufficient for most use.

You *don't* want a teleconverter lens - just a normal objective lens - Cmount is fine. They will work with a normal lens, but will cause problems with light ( lens speed ) for most purposes -

Regards

David

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:33:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bobsboy2007] [#38]
Thanks David, in that case I shall go with the 50 mm f1.4 lens that I posted a link for. I will also stick with the PVS 2 ocular. I will post some photos when/if i manage to get it all to work.

Neal
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:41:53 AM EDT
[#39]
a couple more cascade scopes
though they are not quite finished yet.

some automotive junk is used as material for housing - a piece of drive shaft and two pistons per scope.

one has 75mm/1.1 lens,the other one has PVS-2 95mm/1.2 catadioptric lens.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By hatti:

some automotive junk is used as material for housing - a piece of drive shaft and two pistons per scope.

http://i62.tinypic.com/6f5c8x.jpg

View Quote

Those are awesome.  I'd love to eventually make one using an original PVS-2 housing so I could mount it to a rifle for hunting
coyotes at night.  I'll have to finish constructing my first one though

I ordered the PVS-2 eyepiece (without eye shield) on eBay and a tube from Julian this morning.  My Shapeways housings
should be in Thursday, I've received the objective and adapter, and I have an order in McMaster-Carr for the metric hardware.  
I ordered a CR123A flashlight body from Deal Extreme for the power source.  Now I just need to pick up some PVC at work,
wait for everything to get here, and put this sucker together!

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#41]

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k250/adrian_nwf/IMG_20140905_142926213_zps51784c47.jpg

-V2:
Custom PVC Housing.
PVS 2 Ocular
2x 3v Button Cells.
Double Switch

I will post the binos when I finish them. I am thinking about to built a gain control but i dont know if it will work...

Adrián.
View Quote

I got my tube today and my lens is on the way.

Adrián, I really like the look of your PVC body and the way the lens is covered. Presumably this is to protect it from BBs. Can the lens still be adjusted?

Would you be willing to put a parts list up of the different tube diameters etc

Many thanks

Neal
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Those are awesome.  I'd love to eventually make one using an original PVS-2 housing so I could mount it to a rifle for hunting

I ordered the PVS-2 eyepiece (without eye shield) on eBay and a tube from Julian this morning.  My Shapeways housings
should be in Thursday, I've received the objective and adapter, and I have an order in McMaster-Carr for the metric hardware.  
I ordered a CR123A flashlight body from Deal Extreme for the power source.  Now I just need to pick up some PVC at work,

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

http://i62.tinypic.com/6f5c8x.jpg

thanks!

good luck with your NOD - please post some pictures when finished.

as for PVS-2 scope - you will need a tube with reticle.
there must be p8079hp tubes with reticle,but i suspect,they are rare and hard to find..

but there are lots of ways to add your own reticle - it can be placed either on PC of the tube or output,
it can be  laser printed on transparent sheet
or it can be thin wire cross hair.
or etched glass reticle.(cheap on surplusshed.com)

p.s.
there are no such vermin as coyotes or wild hogs where i live,
but the beavers are flooding forest in my property.
i shot one of those annoying bastards last night using DIY scope.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#43]
thanks!

good luck with your NOD - please post some pictures when finished.

as for PVS-2 scope - you will need a tube with reticle.
there must be p8079hp tubes with reticle,but i suspect,they are rare and hard to find..

but there are lots of ways to add your own reticle - it can be placed either on PC of the tube or output,
it can be  laser printed on transparent sheet
or it can be thin wire cross hair.
or etched glass reticle.(cheap on surplusshed.com)

p.s.
there are no such vermin as coyotes or wild hogs where i live,
but the beavers are flooding forest in my property.
i shot one of those annoying bastards last night using DIY scope.

View Quote

Nice.  I think I have figured out a way to mount the homebrew PVS-2 on the rail behind a NV-compatible red dot.  
I will post pics and details if it works (and bury it and never speak of it again if it fails )
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Who am I kidding, I can't keep anything from you guys!

So here’s my idea.

Materials:

• One of these rails from Amazon for the base

• 2 - ¾” to 1” wide rings cut from both sides of a 3” PVC coupling

• 2 – hose clamps or zip ties

• PVC primer/glue

The weaver rail on top will allow the PVC scope body to stay centered and pointed in line with the rifle.  The PVC rings will
be notched to fit the ends of the rail into them then glued in place.  These will keep the tube from moving forward or backward
or rotating.  The hose clamps/zip ties will keep the tube on the rail.  Slap that sucker behind a NV-compatible red dot sight,
Bob’s your uncle, you have a jerry-rigged NV scope!

See the diagram below for a visual representation.  What do you think?  Will it work?  I don’t plan on using it too much, and
only on a .300 BLK or 5.56, so hopefully durability won’t be an issue.

Let me know what you think or give me advice.  I'm open to suggestion (other that "Just buy a PVS-14"; unless you want to
give me one fo' free )
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Who am I kidding, I can't keep anything from you guys!

So here’s my idea.

Materials:

• One of these rails from Amazon for the base

• 2 - ¾” to 1” wide rings cut from both sides of a 3” PVC coupling

• 2 – hose clamps or zip ties

• PVC primer/glue

The weaver rail on top will allow the PVC scope body to stay centered and pointed in line with the rifle.  The PVC rings will
be notched to fit the ends of the rail into them then glued in place.  These will keep the tube from moving forward or backward
or rotating.  The hose clamps/zip ties will keep the tube on the rail.  Slap that sucker behind a NV-compatible red dot sight,
Bob’s your uncle, you have a jerry-rigged NV scope!

See the diagram below for a visual representation.  What do you think?  Will it work?  I don’t plan on using it too much, and
only on a .300 BLK or 5.56, so hopefully durability won’t be an issue.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=69997

Let me know what you think or give me advice.  I'm open to suggestion (other that "Just buy a PVS-14"; unless you want to
give me one fo' free )
View Quote

Does anyone have any ideas for a better tie-down than hose clamps or zip ties?  I like the fact that I can easily dismount it
with the hose clamps whereas the zip ties may be difficult to cut.  I like the low profile of zip ties and that I can get them in
black and not worry about painting them like I would the hose clamps.  Would reusable/releasable zip ties hold the scope
firmly enough?  The problem there is that I couldn't trim the ends as much since I'd need something to tighten them down after
the first use...  So I'm very open to suggestions.

Also, help me check my math/thinking on the sight/NV alignment.

The centerline of the bore to the iron sight height is 2.6”.  The centerline of the bore to the rail is 1.25”, so iron sights are
1.35” over the rail.

The NV’s 3” PVC is 3.50” OD, or 1.75” radius.  One the ½” riser, the NV’s centerline would be 2.25” over the rail, or 0.90”
over the iron sights (2.25-1.35).

I’ve read where a lot of absolute co-witness mounts actually cause the red dot sight’s centerline to be 2.75” over the
bore, so that would mean the RDS’s centerline would be 0.75” below the NV’s centerline (2.75” over bore minus 1.25”
bore-to-rail height = 1.50 over rail; 2.25” NV over rail minus 1.50” RDS over rail equals 0.75” NV over RDS).  

This means I would need an absolute co-witness RDS on top of a ¾” riser to get it in line with the Cascade tube.

Does all this sound right?  Am I missing something?

Thanks again for the help, and let me know if my explanation is confusing  I had a pretty hard time getting it all straight
in my head an written down, so it may not make sense to anyone else...
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Not exactly cheap but has potential http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-3Inch-Led-Light-Bar-Mounts-Truck-Mounting-Brackets-Bull-Bar-4-4-Jeep-Atv-Ute-/360946388537?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item540a14ce39&vxp=mtr
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:44:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheMountaineer] [#47]
Not exactly cheap but has potential http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-3Inch-Led-Light-Bar-Mounts-Truck-Mounting-Brackets-Bull-Bar-4-4-Jeep-Atv-Ute-/360946388537?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item540a14ce39&vxp=mtr
View Quote

Those would probably be a little bulky, but that's similar to what I'm looking for.

My Shapeways housings came in today.  So far I have the housings, hardware, c-mount adapter, and objective.  The
flashlight body for the power supply is on its way from China, and I haven't heard anything from Julian or the place I
ordered the PVS-2 eyepiece from.

I think other than getting the rest of the parts, I think about the only thing I need to figure out now is how to mount the
power supply.  I might go the route of attaching a length of Picatinny rail on the PVC and use a flashlight mount.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 7:42:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: adrian_nwf] [#48]

Adrián, I really like the look of your PVC body and the way the lens is covered. Presumably this is to protect it from BBs. Can the lens still be adjusted?

Many thanks

Neal
View All Quotes

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k250/adrian_nwf/IMG_20140905_142926213_zps51784c47.jpg

-V2:
Custom PVC Housing.
PVS 2 Ocular
2x 3v Button Cells.
Double Switch

Adrián.

Many thanks

Neal

Sure, no problem.

Yes, it is protected from the bb´s, water, dust, dirt by 5mm polycarbonate sheet.
No the lens can´t be adjust when all is put together but it is completely modular so you can fix it or make changes.

You can find all the material in a hardware store or in a tube store.

List:

-75mm diameter tube 1.5mm wall - Standar F series (I am not completely sure if you have the same standards of continental europe in the UK).

-2x PVC End Caps for 75mm tube.

-1x Union for 75mm UNE-EN 1329 "B"

-1x Standard Switch.

-Patience ;)

If you need something else, let me know I´ll be happy to help mate.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By adrian_nwf:

Sure, no problem.

Yes, it is protected from the bb´s, water, dust, dirt by 5mm polycarbonate sheet.
No the lens can´t be adjust when all is put together but it is completely modular so you can fix it or make changes.

List:

-75mm diameter tube 1.5mm wall - Standar F series (I am not completely sure if you have the same standards of continental europe in the UK).

-1x Standard Switch.

-Patience ;)

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By adrian_nwf:

-V2:
Custom PVC Housing.
PVS 2 Ocular
2x 3v Button Cells.
Double Switch

Adrián.

Many thanks

Neal

Sure, no problem.

List:

-1x Standard Switch.

-Patience ;)

How do you have that mounted, Adrian?  That's a pretty sweet set up.  I like the labeling on the side - gives it a
military-like feel.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Hi Adrián,

many thanks for the info, that's very generous as finding the right parts seems to be half the battle.

Unfortunately sizing in the UK is a bit strange. On the EU continent everything seems to be metric. In the US everything is imperial. In the UK we have a very weird mix, IE everything (by EU law) has to be labelled in metric but all our stuff that has been around is actually made to imperial sizes. Unfortunately we don't really seem to have a standardised 3inch/76mm pipe. I was going to use 68mm pipe but this is just too small as the p8079hp isn't 62.5mm as outlined on the site I bought it from, its closer to 69mm.

It looks like I will have to use some aluminium tube instead and I have found some end caps that look like they may do the trick (after literally hours of searching).

I'll keep you guys updated on how my build comes along. Many thanks again.
Page / 17
Tacked DIY Cascade Tube Thread... (Page 13 of 17)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top