Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 145
Posted: 8/29/2007 11:57:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: murderman]
There have been several threads in the past; here is a chance to consolidate current concepts for the topic.

Ballistic rig on the left, scout rig on the right.  The plates are both bolted down to keep from changing position, with the top strap minimizing stress on that joint, as well as providing a very convenient place to ty-rap the Guardians.  

The MSA rig is balanced on a styrofoam mannequin head with the PVS both up and down; it is like that on a real head as well.  

Edited to add a couple shots with the CSM bracket:

Updated with the do rag replacement pic.

Latest mods...some paint and an M600C/KM2:

Link Posted: 8/30/2007 12:04:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2007 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I am trying to build a helmet rig and ordered a helmet from www.pthelmets.com since I saw them in another thread in this section.  Has anyone else ordered from them without issue?  I ordered on 8/15 and have tried to contact them numerous times but their voicemail box is full and no replies to me emails.  Thanks...
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Protec Helmet, Norotos bolt on mount and compass pouch with metal weights added to balance out helmet.

Link Posted: 9/3/2007 10:37:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tagar] [#4]
No sexy paint job yet but here is what I use.

Link Posted: 9/21/2007 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By Bitstream:
I am trying to build a helmet rig and ordered a helmet from www.pthelmets.com since I saw them in another thread in this section.  Has anyone else ordered from them without issue?  I ordered on 8/15 and have tried to contact them numerous times but their voicemail box is full and no replies to me emails.  Thanks...

I had the exact same problem with PTHelmets - no responses to my emails, and their voicemail-box was always full. After 2 weeks I called Amex and had them reverse the charge;  the very next day I got an email from PTHelmets that it had shipped. Coincidence?

I've decided to keep the helmet - so now I gotta call Amex back and let them let the transaction stay.

Just my 2c.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 11:44:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IPSC_GUY] [#6]
I have been meaning to get to this.

For a light weight skate board helmet I chose the Bell Faction. A nice simple, affordable, helmet that fit my noggin. What ever you get go try it on first. I was a mouse click away from purchasing a Protech when my buddy John (who is an avid skate boarder himself) said "go try em first" and he was right. John is a V-22 Crew Chief and is all about keeping his grape protected.

I hated the suspension so I modded it to this.

I have since added a single M9 mag pouch to the back to hold a counter weight for dual tube goggle use and it works slick as snot. Gotta get some more pics of it.

For ballistic pro I have an RBR PASGT pattern, wrapped in the latest desert ensamble and accesorized with a KGed helmet plate, and seen here sporting a custom made AVS goggle mount.

Cheers,

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 3:22:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm glad murderman posted this, because I'm a wee bit confused on the mounts and nomenclatures.  MSA rig, MS mount, PASGT, MICH, (I understand those are helmet styles), et cetera.  

So, if you all could...dumb it down for me a little.  

For instance, if I were to get a PASGT mount, would that fit pretty much any bike or skateboard helmet?  Is there an advantage to one mount over another as far as versatility and comfort?  How many different mounts are there?  

I'm planning on helmet shopping tomorrow.  Bell?  Protech?  Wally World?  The bike shop?
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 3:25:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Black-Tiger] [#8]

MSA/Gallet MICH Helmet with No. 6 pads, Multicam Cover (to match my Tru Spec Multicam duds ), Rhino Headmount for AN/PVS-14 NVGs (which I don't have yet ) and ESS NVG Profile Goggles with ballistic lenses.
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 4:46:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By BigW1stCav:
I'm glad murderman posted this, because I'm a wee bit confused on the mounts and nomenclatures.  MSA rig, MS mount, PASGT, MICH, (I understand those are helmet styles), et cetera.  

So, if you all could...dumb it down for me a little.  

For instance, if I were to get a PASGT mount, would that fit pretty much any bike or skateboard helmet?  Is there an advantage to one mount over another as far as versatility and comfort?  How many different mounts are there?  

I'm planning on helmet shopping tomorrow.  Bell?  Protech?  Wally World?  The bike shop?

Ok lets see if we can get ya straight here.

When you say mount, I am guessing you mean the plate that attachs to the helmet itself?

There are a few.

1. The PASGT pattern

2. The MICH  pattern

3. The Three hole Nortos mount

4. The Wilcox

3. and 4. are quite rare and very expensive, so for a skate or bike helmet a PASGT or a MICH will work.

The PASGT or more plentiful, easier to locate, and less expensive. They also have two "feet" as it were that hook under the brim of the helmet and these "feet" can be adjusted to get the best "purchase" on the helmet.

If ya look at Murderman and Vics pics. The MSAs use a MICH mount and the skate helmets have PASGT plates.

Next the Rhino mount plugs into the plate. the Rhino mount is what the J arm attaches to.

Ok I hope that helps ya out. if you have any other questiosn please feel free to ask.

Cheers,

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#10]
To expand a little on IPSC's excellent post, here are some pics of the various mounting system components for a PVS-7/14:

These are the more common mounting plate designs; PASGT is on the left, and MICH is on the right.  PASGT tends to work better for skateboard/bicycle helmet styles as well as PASGT ballistic helmets, and is generally less expensive/more available.  MICH is required for MICH style ballistic helmets such as the MSA TC2001 that Vic and I have.

Next comes the Rhino mount; "old" style is on the left, and "new" style is on the right.  The new style is a much superior design in that it is metal versus plastic, is more compact, provides for goggle retention, and most importantly only requires one hand for pitch adjustment.

Then there is the J-arm.  If you plan to run a PVS-14 and make use of the auto-shutoff feature when the monocular is flipped up, then make sure the J-arm that you buy is wired accordingly.  Notice the two electrical contacts on the underside, and the wire on the top.

This next pic shows an "exploded" view of the assembly.  Note that both styles of mounting plates are shown, but only one or the other is required depending on application.

This last pic is the system assembled.

As others have mentioned, make sure that you physically try on whatever helmet that you are planning to purchase; heads are as different as fingerprints, and comfort is important.  Also, since a monocular mounted to a helmet tends to make it front heavy, most standard skateboard/bicycle helmet chinstraps are inadequate.  You may want to consider modifications using surplus parts as IPSC and I have done.

Hope this helps, good luck with your shopping.
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Cool. Are these for airsoft? They look pristine.
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:

If you are referring to my mounting component pics above, no they are not Airsoft, they are brand new Mil-spec spares that I have picked up whenever I see a good deal.
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By murderman:

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:

If you are referring to my mounting component pics above, no they are not Airsoft, they are brand new Mil-spec spares that I have picked up whenever I see a good deal.

Airsoft... PAH ! ! !

Murderman that is probably the best laid out explanation I have ever seen, good job there.

The mention of airsoft brings up a good point and a WARNING. There are airsoft helmet plates out there floating around. The danger with them is this. They are dimensionally smaller by a few thousandths of an inch.

I had a customer send me one with his Rhino mount clipped into it. He had bought it off ebay and thought it was a USGI MICH plate. He had mounted it up and then snapped his rhino mount into it... FOREVER ! ! !

The Rhino mount had gone in (with some force he told me) and then would not disengage. I literally had to cut the helmet plate off the rhino mount with a dremel tool.

So if you find yourself with a helmet plate of unknown origin and your Rhino mount is not easily snapping into place don't force it or you may never get it out again.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 4:50:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Man, I can't thank you guys enough for the details and pictures.  This makes things much more clear.  

I made the retail rounds today, helmet shopping.  I finally found a SIXSIXONE (whatever the heck that is), at the local bike shop and bought it after melon-mounting it several times.  A chin strap modification is definitely in order, and now I see how I can do it.  

The skull crusher is one step closer to being replaced.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Man, I can't thank you guys enough for the details and pictures.  This makes things much more clear.  

I made the retail rounds today, helmet shopping.  I finally found a SIXSIXONE (whatever the heck that is), at the local bike shop and bought it after melon-mounting it several times.  A chin strap modification is definitely in order, and now I see how I can do it.  

Thanks again!

Please post up pics of your rig when you get it finished, as well as the ones of the skull crusher burning in hell.  

A surplus USGI MICH 4-point chinstrap works well on the skateboard/bicycle helmets; the NSN is 8470-01-476-2605; they can be found for about $20-25 if you shop around.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By IPSC_GUY:
The mention of airsoft brings up a good point and a WARNING. There are airsoft helmet plates out there floating around. The danger with them is this. They are dimensionally smaller by a few thousandths of an inch.

I had a customer send me one with his Rhino mount clipped into it. He had bought it off ebay and thought it was a USGI MICH plate. He had mounted it up and then snapped his rhino mount into it... FOREVER ! ! !

The Rhino mount had gone in (with some force he told me) and then would not disengage. I literally had to cut the helmet plate off the rhino mount with a dremel tool.

So if you find yourself with a helmet plate of unknown origin and your Rhino mount is not easily snapping into place don't force it or you may never get it out again.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

I think you're talking about the replica "Norotos" head mounts used by most SF units on their MICHs, specially USAF PJs and Army SF ODAs in Iraq and A-Stan.

www.norotos.com/

The airsoft people are getting really good at making good replicas of actual NVG equipment with the exception that the screw up the measurements by a hair's breadth and the materials they use are not to par (except for the ocassional vest that seems to be as good as the real deal).

You really have to pick things off with a fine toothbrush and a magnifying glass when shopping on eBay. EBay is full of repops that are being sold as the "Real Deal" that is hard to tell apart.

That's a cautionary tale for ya. WHen shopping for this type of equipment, it is very wise to do some research on, not only what you are buying, but also who is selling it to you.

Link Posted: 9/24/2007 3:37:36 AM EDT
[#18]
No this was not a copy of a Nortos, this was a copy of a MICH plate. Once I got it cut off I could see the differences but I am sure the ebay (where the owner got it) add did not show clearly what the items was.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Link Posted: 9/25/2007 1:19:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Thanks again!

Please post up pics of your rig when you get it finished, as well as the ones of the skull crusher burning in hell.  

A surplus USGI MICH 4-point chinstrap works well on the skateboard/bicycle helmets; the NSN is 8470-01-476-2605; they can be found for about $20-25 if you shop around.

I'll post pictures of the rig when I get it set up.  In the meantime, I couldn't believe that I actually found something at US Cavalry for under 2,657 dollars:  

chin straps

Hopefully that will help somebody else who might be searching.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 3:00:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Thanks again!

I'll post pictures of the rig when I get it set up.  In the meantime, I couldn't believe that I actually found something at US Cavalry for under 2,657 dollars:  

chin straps

SHINY ! ! !

The SDS straps are what I used but I bought em in a surplus store and I was " a wonderin"  where I could get more. Thanks,

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 3:39:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Thanks again!

chin straps

SHINY ! ! !

The SDS straps are what I used but I bought em in a surplus store and I was " a wonderin"  where I could get more. Thanks,

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Careful when you order, depending on the color you want.  Right now, the OD is out of stock.  Of course, I can't wait, so I ordered black.
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Does any body have any pics of a helmet mount on a old PASGT helmet?
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:23:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By silentweapon338:
Does any body have any pics of a helmet mount on a old PASGT helmet?

why yes

the last photo are parachutist retetion straps and a foam insert used in the airborne community they help distrubute the weight as the straps go around the chin strap and balance quite well
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:28:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf:
members.cox.net/winston_wolf/Hike.jpg

Holy hell, that was a long time ago!
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 2:32:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigW1stCav] [#26]
The hardest part of this whole project was getting the photo host link.

I cut the old chin strap off of this helmet completely and drilled new holes for the SDS strap.  I also drilled a hole front and back to secure the hardware of the helmet mount.  I then cut a plug out of the styrofoam inside the helmet to attach a nut on the back of each bolt I used.  The plugs are not missed as they're covered with the inserts provided with these helmets.  Without at least a bolt holding the front of the mount, I found it to be too insecure and I really didn't want a whole lot of man hours sliding off my helmet in the middle of the woods.  

Question:  When I flip my 14 up, it goes off, but when I pull it down again, it does not power back up.  I have to turn it off and turn it back on.  Is there something wrong with my J-arm or is this the way it's supposed to function?

I may add a counterweight, but the three-point chinstrap does a great job of keeping the whole rig pretty stable.  The only thing I would have done differently is mounted the  two chin strap bolts a little farther forward.  As it is, I'm getting more tension on the rear straps than I am on the forward straps.  Minor inconvenience, but if you're building a rig, try your best to get your chin strap in a comfortable location.  (You'll either need another person helping or lots of duct tape and mirror time.)

Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:20:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IPSC_GUY] [#27]

Question:  When I flip my 14 up, it goes off, but when I pull it down again, it does not power back up.  I have to turn it off and turn it back on.  Is there something wrong with my J-arm or is this the way it's supposed to function?

Some 14's need to have the ON/OFF switch recycled to the unit back on and some do not. It is a latching circuit in the battery back. I have not been able to figure out why some production runs have the auto on and some need to be manually turned on.

Either way, there is nothing wrong with yours.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Link Posted: 10/2/2007 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Some 14's need to have the ON/OFF switch recycled to turn back on and some do not. It is a latching circuit in the battery back. I have not been able to figure out why some production runs have the auto on and some need to be manually turned on.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

... my AN/PVS7 has the manual-on, post flip-up feature as well. I always thought it was for safety and power purposes
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 1:45:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Some 14's need to have the ON/OFF switch recycled to the unit back on and some do not. It is a latching circuit in the battery back. I have not been able to figure out why some production runs have the auto on and some need to be manually turned on.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Thanks for the quick answer.  I was scratching my head over that one.
Link Posted: 10/13/2007 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#30]

modified CVC helmet with skydex pads and OpsCore h-harness
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Bumped for more pics.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 3:06:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#32]
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#33]
*Bump* For thread salvation
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 10:19:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FordGuy] [#34]
I started with a Bell Faction based on the recommendations of a couple of folks here.  I sanded it to take paint, masked off the inside and shot a coat of coyote brown in krylon.

I also went by clothing and sales at Ft. Jackson and picked up an extra helmet chinstrap.

interesting part is if you drill out the aluminum rivets holding on the cheap Bell chinstrap, you can screw in the steel fasteners that come with the issue chinstrap.  lines right up.

Finally, I took everything back off again and masked it to protect the interior from overspray, and hit it with some green paint to break up the blob outline of tan.

I have a PVS 14 mount coming monday (used of course) and will mount it and show more pics.  So if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm piecing this thing together as I get the money, piece by piece!
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 11:32:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#35]
posted this before when i got it done but might as well add it to the official post:

Gen 3 MUM select alpha with hand select tube
j-arm
rhyno gen 2 mount
nv helmet plate
PASGT helmet
3 point chin strap
black cover and cat eye band
foam donut
CSM helmet mount with vltor flashlight mount
surefire g2 with lock out cap and flip up red filter

-the cheap foam donute actually added some comfort

-the 3 point chin strap is the BEST thing i think i could have done to the PASGT hemet, made it 1000 percent more study AND comfortable...

Link Posted: 1/31/2008 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/31/2008 2:47:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cyclic240B] [#37]
Link Posted: 1/31/2008 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#38]
awsome1
Link Posted: 1/31/2008 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 2/11/2008 10:22:39 PM EDT
[#40]
OK, here is mine. Had to get it set back up since I had broke my swing arm but had found another one in my spare parts bin. It aint as fancy as some of your setups are but it works well for me. You can see I had a misshap with my gain knob but I will see about getting that fixed later on. I am hell on equipment...

Link Posted: 2/18/2008 3:04:15 AM EDT
[#41]
what's the legality on owning a helmet?

I know, sounds over the top, but you can never know in this industry anymore.

Link Posted: 2/18/2008 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Making the assumption that a ballistic helmet would be considered body armor, the only restriction that I am aware of in TX is possession by convicted felons.

I can't imagine that there are any restrictions on skateboard type helmets.

Disclaimer: One should always check into federal/state/local legislation for themselves regarding any legal matters.
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 3:16:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cyclic240B] [#43]
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#44]
anyone have experience with Second Chance armored helmets?

do you guys prefer commando cut or full cut MICH type?
Link Posted: 3/23/2008 1:33:53 AM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By MAngel_M4:
anyone have experience with Second Chance armored helmets?

do you guys prefer commando cut or full cut MICH type?

I would like to know the opinion of others on this as well
Link Posted: 3/23/2008 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#46]
If ballistic coverage is not one's primary consideration, than a full cut MICH is the probably an ounce or two lighter [not likely noticeable], and arguably a little bit more "streamlined" [again, no big deal, particularly with an illuminator hanging off the side].  I can't imagine it really mattering much if one can get a good deal on one or the other.

Converting something like a TC2000 or TC2002 to a TC2001 would not seem to be worth the effort or risk of damage, as simply drilling a hole in aramid requires a fair amount of patience.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#48]
I know there's probably not too many "log" guys here, but i'll ask anyway...

Does anyone have an NSN for just the flip-up mechanism itself?

I have an NSN (5855-01-457-2953) that gets you the flip-up mount, as well as the "rugged mount" for the PAGST..which includes the straps and mounting plate.

I think that's a waste to order just to get the flip-up piece. Is it a pipe dream to assume there's an NSN for just the mount?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#49]
HGU-56, believe it or not, its very very difficult to keep the OD finish in good shape, shows every little scratch

ANVIS mount, NVG lip light, Communication Ear Plug (CEP) modified

Newer style slim line battery pack
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By regalrocket:
HGU-56, believe it or not, its very very difficult to keep the OD finish in good shape, shows every little scratch
i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/n20junkie/DSC01076.jpg
ANVIS mount, NVG lip light, Communication Ear Plug (CEP) modified
i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/n20junkie/DSC01075.jpg
Newer style slim line battery pack
i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/n20junkie/DSC01073.jpg

Cool.  but, God-forbid it gets used.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 145
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top