Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2017 3:57:58 PM EDT
Been wondering this. If you keep your originals at home and your house burns, is there a way to replace them?

You'd think the thing to do would be to keep originals offsite in a fireproof safe deposit box. That doesn't really jive with the "you must show this to a BATFE agent upon request" especially since copies are not really legally valid from what I'm told.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#2]
My stamps were emailed to me. Printed my self and saved to a thumb drive.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Been wondering this. If you keep your originals at home and your house burns, is there a way to replace them?

You'd think the thing to do would be to keep originals offsite in a fireproof safe deposit box. That doesn't really jive with the "you must show this to a BATFE agent upon request" especially since copies are not really legally valid from what I'm told.
View Quote

I'm fairly sure this is not true...most people carry copies around for if they have to show proof, and I haven't heard of anyone getting told that the copy isn't good enough.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am sure this agent would have an appointment and then can look at my stamps all he fucking wants.  I have never seen a BATFE agent at the range.  None have conducted a traffic stop.  I did drink with several of them at a party once or twice.  None of they gave one fuck about stamps or stills.  Trafficking is what they were interested in. Most of them looked like college kids. 

I have my trust, stamps, and photos all on a keyring thumbdrive.  Miniatures in my wallet.  Stamps in a firebox inside the safe.  I am not too worried about it.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That doesn't really jive with the "you must show this to a BATFE agent upon request" especially since copies are not really legally valid from what I'm told.
View Quote

Stamps, whether original or not, are irrelevant to prosecution. The actual violation is "(d) to receive or possess a firearm which is not registered to him in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record;"
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

You were told wrong.  

Efile applications for example are printable copies, you don't even get the original forms with the actual physical stamp.

I keep three copies of each, one in my range bag, one in my home safe, and one in my office safe.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 2:36:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Who cares. I don't even know where all of mine are let alone carry them around. I have yet to hear of a single case of anyone in this entire country *EVER* asking to see stamps beyond clueless range employees who don't even know what they are looking at. If any legitimate LE agency were actually interested they would defer to ATF anyway and its a simple phone call to the NFA branch to verify the serial is on the registry. Its not like they are going to trust your little copy of a stamp as legitimate anymore than they are going to trust your drivers license and not run it, especially when its registered to 1837373737 Trust on the stamped form.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top