Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2017 12:17:59 AM EDT
I am currently helping out with an estate which came across a few NFA items with restrictions so they can't be transferred to the beneficiaries since none of them are dealers. I believe they have checked with either Rock Island or James Julia and they were only interested in one or two due to the restrictions. I believe one or two are sales samples and the others I believe have police restrictions since they came from a law enforcement agency.  I was going to try some of the local dealers, but I know they may not get the best price. I wasn't sure if anyone had any recommendations on who else to try to get them a good price.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:24:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Try Ruban Mendiola,He is honest and has a great reputation....( http://dealernfa.com )
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:48:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I believe one or two are sales samples and the others I believe have police restrictions since they came from a law enforcement agency.
View Quote
This part doesn't make sense. They can't be any more restricted than post-86 dealer samples, unless the estate actually was a LE agency.

If they're dealer samples, the heirs should have time to obtain a FFL/SOT if they wish to keep them. The ATF should help expedite the licensing process, if that's what they choose to do. The heirs would need to have legitimate business intentions, of course.

If the firearms are pre-86 dealer samples, then the heir(s) may later give up their FFL and still retain the firearms.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:36:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This part doesn't make sense. They can't be any more restricted than post-86 dealer samples, unless the estate actually was a LE agency.

If they're dealer samples, the heirs should have time to obtain a FFL/SOT if they wish to keep them. The ATF should help expedite the licensing process, if that's what they choose to do. The heirs would need to have legitimate business intentions, of course.

If the firearms are pre-86 dealer samples, then the heir(s) may later give up their FFL and still retain the firearms.
View Quote
Yes a lottttt is missing from this story...
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:54:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Seems familiar......Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess I don't get the point of your post.  That appears to be this thread.....

I agree with KitBuilder and Chas8008 that something about the registration of the NFA items is missing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:00:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry I am not trying to leave anything out. I have just been asked to research other avenues for sale so I have limited info. I believe they were originally purchased as sales samples, but when they were transferred the ATF put restrictions on some of them that they could only be transferred back to leo or another dealer. I may even be wrong about the other dealer part.

I believe the wording is something like approved with the following restriction: imported firearm is for law enforcement use only. subsequent transfers can only be made to an agency.

I would guess they touched on the aspect of becoming a dealer, but I will bring it up in case. Thanks for the idea, I get the impression selling these might be the main goal, but it may not be an avenue they considered. I will also mention dealerNFA if they haven't tried him.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:39:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sorry I am not trying to leave anything out. I have just been asked to research other avenues for sale so I have limited info. I believe they were originally purchased as sales samples, but when they were transferred the ATF put restrictions on some of them that they could only be transferred back to leo or another dealer. I may even be wrong about the other dealer part.

I believe the wording is something like approved with the following restriction: imported firearm is for law enforcement use only. subsequent transfers can only be made to an agency.

I would guess they touched on the aspect of becoming a dealer, but I will bring it up in case. Thanks for the idea, I get the impression selling these might be the main goal, but it may not be an avenue they considered. I will also mention dealerNFA if they haven't tried him.
View Quote
Yes with out all the details. This is a mess.

let Rubin sort it out....
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Isn't ther a form 10 that transfers to LEO and once it's on that form it stays on that form. Only ever to be transferred to LEO?

I remember eating about it here in a thread about what to do if you find NFA stuff in an estate with no papers. It was mentioned as a last resort to NOT use IIRC.

There is a thread here somewhere on what to do if you find NFA stuff in an estate. Search it out, it has all the info you need.

Or, ask Tony.

Here, I found the thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/322347_So-you-found-an-MG-in-the-attic------.html

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2009/12/national-firearms-act-forms-and-their-use/#ixzz4nSjo8KKX
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

Form 10, Application for Registration of Firearms Acquired by Certain Governmental Entities
ATF Form 10 (5320.10) is only used by a State or local government agency to register an unregistered NFA firearm that the agency wants to maintain in its possession. The Form 10 is the only means of registration for an unregistered firearm, and the firearm may only be registered to and possessed by a government agency. Federal agencies are exempt from registration requirements, so there is no need for a Federal agency to file a Form 10.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
The only way an estate would have any restricted registration guns is either a pre-86 sales sample or a post-86 dealer sample.

The pre-86 samples would be guns that were imported before 1986, but after 1968 as sales samples for LE and .gov sales.  These guns a dealer can keep after they give up their FFL.

The post-86 samples are guns made after the May 1986 date and are only for use as demo samples for LE or sale to LE. These guns cannot be kept by a dealer if they give up their license (or SOT IIRC).

If the estate still has the guns, and does not have a FFL, Id say you are looking at pre-samples.  Look at the forms. You are looking for the ink stamp that the ATF will have stamped on the forms. Also look at the date of the approval of the transfers.

Presamples will have something to the effect of "Limited to use as sales sample" or something like that.  Post samples will say something along the lines of (at least this is what they put today) "Restricted Registration - Possession limited to continued compliance with provisions of public law 99-308"

If they are presamples, any SOT can buy them. They are less valuable than transferables, but more valuable than post samples.

If they are post samples, the dealer should have gotten rid of them before giving up their SOT.

Feel free to shoot me an email if there are any more questions, or if I can help out.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I do appreciate all the help and I am also frustrated by the lack of info I have been able to get to use for research. Very rarely have I had to research NFA items and usually they were simple form 4 transfers, and nothing mentioning LEO restrictions.

I am 99% these are all pre-86 originally form 5 transfers from the mid 70s to very early 80s.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#11]
If they were Form 5 transfers, then they were either inherited or came from a LE agency. This doesn't identify their status however. Can you tell us what models they are? That might rule out some things.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:52:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Isn't ther a form 10 that transfers to LEO and once it's on that form it stays on that form. Only ever to be transferred to LEO?

I remember eating about it here in a thread about what to do if you find NFA stuff in an estate with no papers. It was mentioned as a last resort to NOT use IIRC.
View Quote
Yes, government entities can register anything they want on a Form 10, contraband or not. It is a last resort for 2 reasons:
1) It should only be used for registration of contraband firearms.
2) Anything registered on Form 10 may only be registered to (and transferred among) government entities thereafter.

FFL/SOT cannot receive anything registered on Form 10. That's why an estate wouldn't have such firearms. (Unless possibly they were the sheriff, or some other CLEO, and somehow had the gun(s) registered to them personally, instead of the agency entity, but that'd be very weird and I've never heard of it happening).
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:11:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The only way an estate would have any restricted registration guns is either a pre-86 sales sample or a post-86 dealer sample.

The pre-86 samples would be guns that were imported before 1986, but after 1968 as sales samples for LE and .gov sales.  These guns a dealer can keep after they give up their FFL.

The post-86 samples are guns made after the May 1986 date and are only for use as demo samples for LE or sale to LE. These guns cannot be kept by a dealer if they give up their license (or SOT IIRC).

If the estate still has the guns, and does not have a FFL, Id say you are looking at pre-samples.  Look at the forms. You are looking for the ink stamp that the ATF will have stamped on the forms. Also look at the date of the approval of the transfers.

Presamples will have something to the effect of "Limited to use as sales sample" or something like that.  Post samples will say something along the lines of (at least this is what they put today) "Restricted Registration - Possession limited to continued compliance with provisions of public law 99-308"

If they are presamples, any SOT can buy them. They are less valuable than transferables, but more valuable than post samples.

If they are post samples, the dealer should have gotten rid of them before giving up their SOT.
View Quote
You are assuming they are machine guns. They could also be silencers, SBR, etc.

OP needs to find out exactly what they are.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
We are also assuming they are NFA.

Alot of time "poeple" find an old machine gun that is found out to be a Mosin latter.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Point. I forgot about sales sample suppressors and such.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If they were Form 5 transfers, then they were either inherited or came from a LE agency. This doesn't identify their status however. Can you tell us what models they are? That might rule out some things.
View Quote
They came from a LE agency based off the transfer paperwork. I believe one or both are American Arms 180s.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Please list the make and model of each item.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#18]
The American 180 is very likely to be a pre-86 dealer sample. If the gun is marked Austria anywhere on it, or the Form 5 has a restriction at the bottom, then that's what it is.

The earlier 180's were imported before they started making them in the US to render them fully transferable.

https://elmfg.com/am180/history/history.html

Pre-1986 (but post-1968) imported dealer samples can only be transferred to a current FFL/SOT but they may keep them forever even after relinquishing their SOT and/or FFL status.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#19]
It would be easiest if the OP would scan the registration forms so we could see exactly what he's dealing with.

Also was the deceased an FFL/SOT as a sole proprietor or did he have a corp/LLC, and if he had a corporation is it still in existence with multiple shareholders or members?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Exactly. Just like a Form 1 MG made today for a LE agency transfers as a post 86 dealer sample. The status of the firearm, and both of the parties, is what matters. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top