Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2017 1:01:23 PM EDT
My dealer suggested I have 2 color full size copies and 2 shrunken color copies per stamp and laminated.Then have the originals laminated.  

What do you guys do with them?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I scan them, then stick them in the safe.

I've never been asked about my stamps by anyone but could pull them up on my phone if necessary.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My dealer suggested I have 2 color full size copies and 2 shrunken color copies per stamp and laminated.Then have the originals laminated.  

What do you guys do with them?
View Quote
Do not laminate the originals - just keep them somewhere safe - like a deposit box or home fire-rated safe.

Scan them once, and do printouts from the scans after that. If you want to laminate your copies, fine - but not really needed since you can always print new ones, and carry the scanned files on your phone or laptop. Color printouts or B&W don't matter - guess that's just personal preference.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:16:15 PM EDT
[#3]
i thought color copies were not allowed? i keep them in folder in one of my safes. i have a shrunken laminated copy of my trust in my range bag
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:31:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i thought color copies were not allowed?
View Quote
Technically, they aren't, at least not full size or without a visual indication they're a reproduction.

With the ATF now providing E-Form approvals in the form of a color PDF, though, the point seems to be becoming moot in this modern era.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Technically, they aren't, at least not full size or without a visual indication they're a reproduction.

With the ATF now providing E-Form approvals in the form of a color PDF, though, the point seems to be becoming moot in this modern era.
View Quote
Technically they are -- all the stamps we've seen are cancelled (i.e. serial written on them) and thus are no longer obligations or securities of the Federal government. Most of the prohibitions in 18 USC Chapter 25 specify that there must be "intent to defraud" so as long as you aren't scanning and photoshopping in a new serial number in hopes of creating a fake Form 4 then you should have nothing to be concerned about in the unlikely event your scanned copies are inspected by a USSS agent tasked with enforcement of counterfeiting laws.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Scan on home computer that gets backed up, copy on phone. Printed copy in range bag. Printed copy sent with item if being shipped for repair, or mod on a SBR. Original in safe.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I keep my originals in a safe deposit box and have laminated copies at home and in the range bag.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I keep a digital copy of all of them in my email so I can get to them if needed, and keep the originals in a lock box.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Technically, that's not what the Secret Service says...
View Quote
I went to the USSS site but it seems they are 100% focused on recruiting (wonder why) and no longer provide (easily findable, anyway) resources and guides for such things.

So I referred to US Code. It's my own (not a lawyer) judgement that a cancelled stamp doesn't represent a security or obligation of the United States but as long as that's true then we're good to go. If it does, then one has to get lost in a maze of "with intent to defraud" clauses.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Color copies in range bag/gun cases. Originals in safe.

Twisted up color reduced copy inside LMT stock.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I do want to echo the "don't laminate the originals" recommendation from earlier.
View Quote
What's the reason?  I ask as a friend has ALL his approved F1s and F4s laminated, stamps and all.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:52:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Because if the really rare chance that it would ever need to be done, you'd have trouble authenticating a document that had been laminated. There's at least one instance of it happening.

Just no reason to do it. Make copies, laminate copies, but leave originals in the safe.

@FredMan, here you go: click me (see tony_k's initial reply)
View Quote
Thnx.  Mine are all unlaminated, and I really hate to tell my buddy now since he'll feel like an idiot and I'll be the bad guy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top