Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2017 11:18:24 AM EDT
I received an odd phone call from the ATF NFA Branch the other day.  Last June I submitted 2 Form 1s for SBRs.  The other day the examiner called and said he needed clarification on who the manufacturer was; I had stated on the form that I was the manufacturer as I was using 2 80% lowers.  The examiner wanted to know who the original manufacturer was, I told him that the lowers were 80% lowers from Tactical Machining.  He wanted me to update the form to indicate that Tactical Machining was the manufacturer: I reiterated that I was the manufacturer as I was completing the machining necessary to turn the 80%, non-firearm, into a completed lower. He seemed confused by this and wanted a photo of the manufacture’s markings.  I told him there were none yet, that I would have the lower engraved with the necessary info when I completed the machining.

He seemed very concerned and confused with my statements;going so far as to say he was surprised that I intended to perform the machining necessary to make a firearm as “very few people have that ability”. 

He wanted me to send him photos of the lower in question and the detailed steps I would take to manufacture the lower.  He said he would take this info and forward it to the Technical Branch.

I have emailed Tactical Machining to let them know about this phone call but have not heard anything back from them.

I intend to do as he requested but I wanted to know if anyone else has received phone calls like this one.

I don’t want to publish his name as I am hoping that he is new and doesn’t know much about 80% lowers.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Curious as to why you are doing a Form 1 for an 80%?  Completed lowers are so damn cheap.  And a lot of people seem to justify 80% lowers to have a gun that is not on any registry, no paperwork, etc.  Defeating that when you put it on a Form 1.  It is now "in the system".
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I want my own "roll marks".
And, I purchased these with a credit card so they're already in the system.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Assuming you used FMI as the manufacture indicating that they are DIY/homemade receivers?
Send a picture of a square block of AL.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Curious as to why you are doing a Form 1 for an 80%?  Completed lowers are so damn cheap.  And a lot of people seem to justify 80% lowers to have a gun that is not on any registry, no paperwork, etc.  Defeating that when you put it on a Form 1.  It is now "in the system".
View Quote
OP sounds like me.

Because I can.

I don't build guns to "keep them out of the system"  I build them because I can.

Why is it so difficult for people to grasp?

Because I can.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I can understand why you'd want to roll your own.

I built this SBR from an 80% receiver. It is an exact clone of my transferable Colt M16A1, with the identical serial number. We had a great time explaining it to NFA Branch, who required lots of photos. (My makers' marks are on the right side of the receiver)

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/M16SBRclose.jpg
View Quote
That is sweet.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I built this SBR from an 80% receiver. It is an exact clone of my transferable Colt M16A1, with the identical serial number. We had a great time explaining it to NFA Branch, who required lots of photos. (My makers' marks are on the right side of the receiver)

View Quote
That is cool
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Holy crap, that's badass
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ok that is pretty cool. However I cannot imagine the headache you went through to get that approved.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ok that is pretty cool. However I cannot imagine the headache you went through to get that approved.
View Quote
Since it was 80%, it should have been pretty easy. The hard part is finding an engraver who can do that correctly on the first try.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Since it was 80%, it should have been pretty easy. The hard part is finding an engraver who can do that correctly on the first try.
View Quote
Doesn't really need to be first try, does it? :-p

Who did you use? My dealer was talking about something like that, but I'd seen a few folks won't do "Colt" anymore?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:28:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The FCG was reworked so that the selector goes to all three positions, but "AUTO" is a second safety position. It only fires in SEMI.
View Quote
I bet that raised some eyebrows.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I can't imagine the fun your going to have if a LEO takes a look and arrests you for possession of an unregistered MG. Doesn't matter if it's semi-auto only, they will let the DA work that part out.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I SBRd an 80%. I used FMI in the manf. block. There is an old thread on filling out Form 1s for DIY stuff. I believe BigWaylon wrote it up.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I SBRd an 80%. I used FMI in the manf. block. There is an old thread on filling out Form 1s for DIY stuff. I believe BigWaylon wrote it up.
View Quote
Would love a link to that if anyone has it handy!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Would love a link to that if anyone has it handy!
View Quote
It is not hard, just ike a regular F1 but you do not fill out the Original MFG stuff and you make up your own SN & Model.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I can't imagine the fun your going to have if a LEO takes a look and arrests you for possession of an unregistered MG. Doesn't matter if it's semi-auto only, they will let the DA work that part out.
View Quote
Who's getting arrested for possession of an unregistered MG?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If an LEO wrongly insists that it is a machine gun, I will show him the ATF-approved Form 4 for the Colt M16A1 machine gun with that SN, registered to me. Problem solved.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing. If he cannot tell it is not a F/A, he will not know if you show him the wrong form!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Update to my earlier post.

I did EFORM it. If you look in box d I put FMI
In box a I put United States.

A also submitted a generic CNC blueprint of a lower receiver. It has all the measurements and stuff. It wasn't a requirement to do send that but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

I had no issues with mine. I submitted 12/27/15 and got it back 4/28/16.

PS I haven't seen a new Form 1 yet so you may cross reference a new one with an old on incase the boxes are off
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top