Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2017 11:44:28 AM EDT
Hello all,

I've been a lurker here for a little while - this is my first post. Mods, forgive me if this is in the incorrect section, I thought this was the best option based on my choices - I didn't see an NFA section to choose from in the forums.

First, let me say that I am a new 07 FFL/02 SOT. I am trying to determine the different ways to build up a post-sample AR platform weapon. So far I have done this with H&K trigger packs which seems to be far less complicated than making said modifications to an AR platform weapon. Are there any other 07/02 manufacturers on here that have intricate knowledge of how to accomplish this safely?

Second, I don't want it to seem as if I haven't researched this at all prior to posting this thread. I've gone as far as I can with Google, talking to different suppliers, etc. Also, I don't have any relationships just yet to obtain a demo letter from a LEO or government agency, so outright purchasing a ready to go post-sample is not an option.

So far I have contemplated the following:

1. Purchasing a complete semi-auto AR and converting it to select fire. I have seen jigs for sale that reportedly line up specific holes that need to be drilled into the receiver so that the full-auto FCG can be installed into the modified receiver. I don't see an issue with this and even with my limited machining skills think I can make said modifications to a receiver based on the instructions I have read. The only problem I have is that I have not found any videos of someone actually completing such a conversion. Also, if I am going this route, what is the best complete semi-auto AR to use for such a conversion? Knowing the weapon will be regularly used in full-auto, I want to be sure the parts can stand up to the abuse. Lastly, I don't want to make an error and create a paperweight out of a valuable receiver.

2. Purchasing a complete semi-auto lower and complete upper and making the same modifications as outlined above to the lower receiver.

3. Any other routes that I have missed?

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance for those who take the time to read and respond.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello all,

I've been a lurker here for a little while - this is my first post. Mods, forgive me if this is in the incorrect section, I thought this was the best option based on my choices - I didn't see an NFA section to choose from in the forums.

First, let me say that I am a new 07 FFL/02 SOT. I am trying to determine the different ways to build up a post-sample AR platform weapon. So far I have done this with H&K trigger packs which seems to be far less complicated than making said modifications to an AR platform weapon. Are there any other 07/02 manufacturers on here that have intricate knowledge of how to accomplish this safely?

Second, I don't want it to seem as if I haven't researched this at all prior to posting this thread. I've gone as far as I can with Google, talking to different suppliers, etc. Also, I don't have any relationships just yet to obtain a demo letter from a LEO or government agency, so outright purchasing a ready to go post-sample is not an option.

1. Purchasing a complete semi-auto AR and converting it to select fire. I have seen jigs for sale that reportedly line up specific holes that need to be drilled into the receiver so that the full-auto FCG can be installed into the modified receiver. I don't see an issue with this and even with my limited machining skills think I can make said modifications to a receiver based on the instructions I have read. The only problem I have is that I have not found any videos of someone actually completing such a conversion. Also, if I am going this route, what is the best complete semi-auto AR to use for such a conversion? Knowing the weapon will be regularly used in full-auto, I want to be sure the parts can stand up to the abuse. Lastly, I don't want to make an error and create a paperweight out of a valuable receiver.

2. Purchasing a complete semi-auto lower and complete upper and making the same modifications as outlined above to the lower receiver.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance for those who take the time to read and respond.

Thank you!
View Quote
1 and 2 are not just using a jig to locate and drill one hole. Only the lower needs any mods, usually, and those involve milling out the interior to fit the auto sear in addition to locating and drilling the sear pin hole. If you have a mill and are comfortable free-hand milling to a blueprint, then I dare say you won't be needing a jig to locate and drill the sear hole from those same blueprints.

3. Make a conversion device - there are plans for DIAS and Auto Connectors ("lightning link") out there which a SOT Mfg with access to a mill or even hand tools can make pretty easily - you then just put in the conversion device, and install any BC or FCG mods needed.

If you can get a law letter, you can purchase complete post samples from other SOTs. If you can't get a law letter, as a C2, you can buy "no law letter" post-samples from other C1/C2 who are going out of business.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1 and 2 are not just using a jig to locate and drill one hole. Only the lower needs any mods, usually, and those involve milling out the interior to fit the auto sear in addition to locating and drilling the sear pin hole. If you have a mill and are comfortable free-hand milling to a blueprint, then I dare say you won't be needing a jig to locate and drill the sear hole from those same blueprints.

3. Make a conversion device - there are plans for DIAS and Auto Connectors ("lightning link") out there which a SOT Mfg with access to a mill or even hand tools can make pretty easily - you then just put in the conversion device, and install any BC or FCG mods needed.

If you can get a law letter, you can purchase complete post samples from other SOTs. If you can't get a law letter, as a C2, you can buy "no law letter" post-samples from other C1/C2 who are going out of business.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hello all,

Thank you!

Thank you for your reply. I should have mentioned milling out the interior so that the auto sear can be installed in the original post - oversight on my part and I do know that is part of what will need to be done to a lower.

Can you point me in the right direction in getting those blueprints for accurate measurements?

No law letter for now, don't have those relationships yet. The "no law letter" posties I've seen are just so overpriced - especially if I can create one myself for a fraction of the cost.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Can you point me in the right direction in getting those blueprints for accurate measurements?
View Quote
Weaponeer and Weapons Guild have plans accessible to members - though weaponeer is a free site that can have monthly bandwidth problems, and wg requires you to participate and get up to 50 posts before allowing access to their pattern room. On wg, you can send in your FFL/SOT information to get access to the restricted SOT builder's forum where other SOTs can provide answers to your questions freely.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Weaponeer and Weapons Guild have plans accessible to members - though weaponeer is a free site that can have monthly bandwidth problems, and wg requires you to participate and get up to 50 posts before allowing access to their pattern room. On wg, you can send in your FFL/SOT information to get access to the restricted SOT builder's forum where other SOTs can provide answers to your questions freely.
View Quote
Hey thanks for those two sites. Looks like some good information available on both.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If anyone would like to message or email Jumpies with a link to the blueprints, that's up to you. But we do not allow links to those on this forum.

A couple of points:

1. Just buy a $39 Anderson lower receiver, and mill-and-drill it. If you screw up, you are only out $39. My 07/02 SOT son built several very reliable posties on those, before he began manufacturing his own brand of receivers.

2. Again, check the sales boards at subguns.com and sturm. When an SOT is going out of business, an 07/02 may purchase their post-samples with NO demo law letter required. You see lots of no-letter posties for sale over there.

Hope that helps.
View Quote
Appreciate your thoughts. I will look into inexpensive lowers for the first few for sure. I frequent subguns and other similar sites and will keep my eyes peeled. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've gone as far as I can with Google, talking to different suppliers, etc. Also, I don't have any relationships just yet to obtain a demo letter from a LEO or government agency, so outright purchasing a ready to go post-sample is not an option.

View Quote

You need to improve your google skills. These videos, jigs, and instructions are all over the net. I bought mine from Bowers years ago. "ar-15 sear hole jig", for example.

As Tony says, get a cheap lower and use that as your starting point. Once your machine is setup, you can bang 4-5 in under an hour.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Most of the time when I look on GB, there are several up for sale.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You need to improve your google skills. These videos, jigs, and instructions are all over the net. I bought mine from Bowers years ago. "ar-15 sear hole jig", for example.

As Tony says, get a cheap lower and use that as your starting point. Once your machine is setup, you can bang 4-5 in under an hour.
View Quote
Yep, I mentioned the jigs in the original post. There are videos of people setting them up on a rifle, but none that I have found actually show any of the work being performed.

Maybe you may be able to provide a link as you appear to be a stronger Google user than I...
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Maybe you may be able to provide a link as you appear to be a stronger Google user than I...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Sorry, no links allowed.

Quoted:
Yep, I mentioned the jigs in the original post. There are videos of people setting them up on a rifle, but none that I have found actually show any of the work being performed.
How much more do you need your hand held? Do you not know how to push a drill bit through a jig hole?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sorry, no links allowed.

How much more do you need your hand held? Do you not know how to push a drill bit through a jig hole?
View Quote
Thanks for the warm welcome, bud.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for the warm welcome, bud.
View Quote
House rules, not mine.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#14]
If you are planning on doing any kind of manufacturing work, the M16 is a good place to start practicing skills if you aren't a machinist.

Im not, and a DIAS was one of my first projects after I got my SOT.

Just google "M16 lower blueprint" and the images will give you a blueprint of a factory M16. Or google the blueprints for a DIAS and do it that way.  Milling and drilling the lower is easier though.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:The "no law letter" posties I've seen are just so overpriced - especially if I can create one myself for a fraction of the cost.
View Quote

In any business sellers do not set prices, buyers do.  "No law letter" posties are high because they can be purchased by manufacturers and importers with SOT's.  Importers can not make their own so their only option to purchase a post-sample if they don't have a CLEO to sign demo letters is to wait for an FFL/SOT that is giving up their SOT to put theirs up for sale - which drives up the price.

I would suggest that you join the forum http://www.FFLSOnly.com/ where you will find a lot more info about making posties and who can help you.  The forum is only for licensees (no C&R, business only).
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you are planning on doing any kind of manufacturing work, the M16 is a good place to start practicing skills if you aren't a machinist.

Im not, and a DIAS was one of my first projects after I got my SOT.

Just google "M16 lower blueprint" and the images will give you a blueprint of a factory M16. Or google the blueprints for a DIAS and do it that way.  Milling and drilling the lower is easier though.
View Quote
Thank you for the reply. I certainly am NOT a machinist. I have been reading up on milling and drilling - that said, I have never operated a mill before. The drilling part I am not worried about.

I am trying to figure out the best simple mill to buy and go from there.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

In any business sellers do not set prices, buyers do.  "No law letter" posties are high because they can be purchased by manufacturers and importers with SOT's.  Importers can not make their own so their only option to purchase a post-sample if they don't have a CLEO to sign demo letters is to wait for an FFL/SOT that is giving up their SOT to put theirs up for sale - which drives up the price.

I would suggest that you join the forum http://www.FFLSOnly.com/ where you will find a lot more info about making posties and who can help you.  The forum is only for licensees (no C&R, business only).
View Quote
Understood on the pricing, that is why I'd rather create one from scratch. It was a lot of hard work getting the 07 FFL and 02 SOT, so I may as well use it!

Thanks for the link. I will check that forum out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top