Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2017 11:28:06 AM EDT
Silencer (Spartan 3) was purchased via trust though SS and shipped to dealer in State X.

I, the grantor of the trust, have since moved to another state before the form 4 cleared.

The stamp finally came in and I have two hurdles to overcome. There are trustees still residing in State X. I talked to the shop when they called and explained it would be another trustee who would be picking up the can. This trustee has all the documents etc. Their first response was "we will only release it to you because you did the transaction on SS." Ok, hopefully getting over that hurdle shouldn't be too hard seeing as how the shop is probably just a little ignorant to the process and legalities. Talked to SS and they stated they won't get involved unless the local shop contacts them for advice.

Assuming they release the can to a trustee in State X, I would like to also use the can in my current State.

I'm aware the ATF says you can ship items to yourself "in care of" to another state for legal purposes etc etc.

My Google Foo has turned up plenty of articles and posts relating to this topic however, they all seem to fall short. Pretty much all old posts where someone chimes in saying you're good to go but never provides an exact solution or which carrier they used.

Which carrier has someone successfully used to ship a silencer from trustee to trustee interstate? What were some hurdles you overcame or encountered?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#1]
If the local shop doesn't release the can to a qualified trustee and they will only release the can to me, what are my options? I'm no longer a resident of that State, they won't take out of state identification for a transfer (I have a feeling they will want to do the NICS thing.)

Am I SOL and they will have to form 3 to a local dealer and the process starts over?

For what it's worth, I didn't intend on using this dealer. My original dealer gave up their Class III with no notification to me or SS and transferred all their pending items to this new shop.

Thanks for any insight.

(PRE 41F)
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the local shop doesn't release the can to a qualified trustee and they will only release the can to me, what are my options? I'm no longer a resident of that State, they won't take out of state identification for a transfer (I have a feeling they will want to do the NICS thing.)

Am I SOL and they will have to form 3 to a local dealer and the process starts over?
View Quote
If the shop will not release it to anyone but you, then you can either have them cancel the F4 and F3 it to a SOT in your new state (then a new, post-41F F4 and $200 and long wait restarts), or sue them to get a court order for them to release it to one of your in-state trustees, or establish partial-year residency in your old state and acquire it while you are "resident" there on a trip back.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone here have any insight on shipping a silencer interstate, trustee to trustee?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anyone here have any insight on shipping a silencer interstate, trustee to trustee?
View Quote
Neither UPS or FedEx will ship firearms interstate from a nonlicensee to nonlicensee. That's their policy, not law.
Fail to notify them in writing that you are shipping interstate nonlicensee to a nonlicensee and you commit a felony. That's the law.

USPS only allows licensed dealers, manufacturers and certain LE to mail a firearm other than a rifle or shotgun. Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the body (including silencers) aren't mailable by Average Joe.

In short, you can't.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Neither UPS or FedEx will ship firearms interstate from a nonlicensee to nonlicensee. That's their policy, not law.
Fail to notify them in writing that you are shipping interstate nonlicensee to a nonlicensee and you commit a felony. That's the law.

USPS only allows licensed dealers, manufacturers and certain LE to mail a firearm other than a rifle or shotgun. Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the body (including silencers) aren't mailable by Average Joe.

In short, you can't.
View Quote
Hire a private courier to transport a locked container.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hire a private courier to transport a locked container.
View Quote
If that "private courier" is not registered as a common carrier with DOT you violate Federal law.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If that "private courier" is not registered as a common carrier with DOT you violate Federal law.
View Quote
Good point.  I guess there should be some sort of courier that is properly registered, and is willing to follow the law without getting weighed down with stupid internal paranoia.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#8]
this is a really good place for the Trump "eliminate 2 regulations for every one new regulation added" to start..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top