Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2017 12:56:15 AM EDT
I think I've got my process worked out.  Sorry if this seems pedantic, I just don't want to get it wrong.  I'm looking to file a form 1 to create an SBR from an AR pistol.

1.  Send lower for engraving.  Engraving will have my name, city, state, and caliber.  (Question: for a metric cartridge like 9mm, should it say Cal 9mm, Cal 9x19, or something else?)
2.  Get passport photos made.
3.  Get finger print cards and get prints made (question: can I take my own prints, or do I need a LEO to do it?)
4.  Fill out Form 1 packet as described in stickied post in this forum.  (Question.  With ARs, the general rule on overall length is 19 inches plus barrel length, but this is something of an estimate.  Should I err on the side of being short or long?  Related question.  Since I'm doing a 9mm AR, 9mm AR barrels tend to protrude about 1 inch shorter than their measured legal length, unlike rifle caliber AR barrels.  So in this case would I estimate OAL at 19 inches + barrel length - 1 inch?)
5.  Send both ATF copies to ATF by registered mail, with $200 money order, passport photos, and finger print cards enclosed.  (Question: Do both ATF copies need attached passport photos and finger print cards?)
6.  Send CLEO notification form by registered mail to a CLEO in my jurisdiction.  (Questions.  I live in an incorporated city.  Do I send notification to my city's chief of police, or the county sheriff?  Does the CLEO notification form require passport photos and finger print cards?)
7.  Wait a really long time.
8.  After waiting a really long time, stamp comes back in the mail.  Purchase a buttstock and attach to AR pistol to make SBR.
9.  File 5320.20s for each state I travel to frequently, fill them out to be valid for any journey within the next year.  (Question.  Does an approved 5320.20 work for more than one trip within the specified time period, or do I need one for every excursion across state lines with a registered SBR?).

Additional questions.

I see you guys receive some kind of status update on the status of your Form 1s.  Is there a way to do this online?

Is there a way to get certified copies of the tax stamp?  I'm thinking of putting the stamps in a binder that I can carry with me, but I'd like to have valid copies stored in a safe deposit box somewhere else.  Related question, is there a way to receive a stamp electronically, rather than physical copies?  Would be easier for archiving necessary paper work.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:18:36 AM EDT
[#1]
For 5 and 6, you don't have to send registered mail - but if that's your swerve, then spend the extra to get your mailing receipts.

Engraving doesn't have to be done before the application - you can engrave at any time prior to assembling the finished SBR.

I recommend you paperclip the pics and cards to each original form. ATF will glue the photos on for you.

Use your best estimate of the OAL, using the barrel length you intend to first make it.  If it no longer matches the description, it's no big deal and there's no requirement that it stay the as-built OAL or barrel length. You can go longer or shorter with no notification.

ATF asks that you notify them in writing of any permanent changes, but cannot legally require such notification. What's "permanent" on an AR platform, really, anyway?

ETA additional questions:

You can request certified copies, but they're no more valid than a printed scan would be. You can only get a virtual stamp (PDF file) from the .gov by filing an E-Form 1, which is currently no longer an option. Online status updates are also only for E-Forms at this time.

When you get your approved forms, scan them to PDF files. Stick the originals in the safe or safe deposit box or whatever, and make reduced size printouts of the PDF scans to carry with you, if you want to carry them around.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a common thought that getting engraving done before submitting the form is a good idea, because if any engraving mistakes are made, lost in shipping, etc, you can re-try before putting the manufacturer serial # on a Form 1.
But as the other poster said, all you have to do is engrave before assembly.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:49:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

6. If you'll fill out copy one of the F1, it'll populate the other two copies. I'm assuming you're filing as an individual?  If so, it seems the photo is required on the CLEO copy...which is dumb because the CLEO copy of the RPQ (used by entity applications) doesn't require it. You do not send FP cards to the CLEO, which is clearly spelled out in the instructions. You'll also notice the SN and payment info is grayed out on he CLEO copy.

As far as who your CLEO is, that's also covered in the instructions on the form. It's any of a variety of city, county and state employees that are responsible for the jurisdiction you live in. Lots of people simply send it to the head of the state highway patrol, as they're off any "local radar" that way.

9. It's good for any travel during the dates listed. I've found it easiest to file each fall for 1/1-12/31 the following year. The first year I filed for current date through 12/31, and then new forms for the following year.

But, you can also file for any one year period, like 7/12/17-7/11/18. Just don't use the same date for To and From, since that's actually a year and a day.
View Quote
Good info.

When you say the other two copies are populated....is there an electronic version of this form that is filled out on a computer?  I was under the impression you just did it by hand three times...
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When you say the other two copies are populated....is there an electronic version of this form that is filled out on a computer?  I was under the impression you just did it by hand three times...
View Quote
The fillable PDF versions can be downloaded from the ATF's website. Then print them out, sign and date.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#6]
File on line. Efile.  

You can take your own photos.  They just need to meet the color and dimension spelled out for a passport photo, no glasses, etc. 

Engrave anytime before your stamp comes in, or do it after if you can engrave it yourself.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
File on line. Efile.  
View Quote
F1 and F4 are not available on Efile since 41F went into effect.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:04:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:57:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

6. If you'll fill out copy one of the F1, it'll populate the other two copies. I'm assuming you're filing as an individual?  If so, it seems the photo is required on the CLEO copy...which is dumb because the CLEO copy of the RPQ (used by entity applications) doesn't require it. You do not send FP cards to the CLEO, which is clearly spelled out in the instructions. You'll also notice the SN and payment info is grayed out on he CLEO copy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Going to have to disagree with that.  Been reading the F1, and that's not clear at all.  In fact, the instructions seem to indicate to me that CLEO copy includes photos and print cards.  From the F1 instructions:

Photographs and Fingerprints. An individual maker (including any Federally licensed collector who is an individual but not any other type of Federal firearms licensee) must (1) attach to each copy in item 12 of the ATF Form 1, a 2 inch x 2 inch photograph of his/her frontal view taken within one year prior to the date of the application and (2) submit two properly completed FBI Forms FD-258 (Fingerprint Card with blue lines) with application. The fingerprints must be clear for accurate classification and taken by someone properly equipped to take them.
I can see how you would read it either way, but it doesn't strike me as being particularly clear either way.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No, you're right. The "clearly" sentence I was remembering is on the 5320.23 RPQ, so a person filing as an individual wouldn't see it.

7. Fingerprints: The responsible person shall submit, in duplicate with the ATF copy of this form, his or her fingerprints on FBI Form FD-258 and the fingerprints must be clear for accurate classification and taken by someone properly equipped to take them. No fingerprints are required with the copy of the form sent to the chief law enforcement officer.
View Quote
So, how are we reading this? Photos and FP cards to CLEO or not?
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:40:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't think you have to engrave caliber. If your AR receiver already has caliber (which most do), ATF allows you to "adopt" the factory markings for serial number and caliber.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top