Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/26/2017 5:50:00 PM EDT
So, got a suppressor and was out today, small town, and went by the sheriff's office to drop off the notification.  I use a trust.  I asked for a receipt for confirmation and they refused.  They claim that I have to give them a photo and the sheriff must sign and approve.  I explained a couple of times the rule change and that it is a notification only and that photos and prints only go to the ATF.  The sheriff does not sign or approve, it is a notification only.

The deputies claim that their "federal guy" told them that they still have to have all that.  As I understand it, that is no longer the case.  I said fine, I will just mail it in with a return receipt and that way you have the notice and I will not have to worry about it.  They wanted me to come in another day to speak with the sheriff about it.  I said no, I will just mail it and that will meet my obligation.  No confrontation.

I just want to make sure that I am correct.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#1]
That's correct
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Should have emailed them, then you would have confirmation via your sent email.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, just notify and be done with it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#5]
You are correct but why not meet with the Chief and bring a copy of the new ATF regulations in an attempt to educate him...
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are correct but why not meet with the Chief and bring a copy of the new ATF regulations in an attempt to educate him...
View Quote
I am going to mail him with my form the relevant portions for them to see.  They told me that they had already had one other person do what they were trying to get me to do as if somehow that is justification.  I would meet, but don't really want to take off work.

I understand that they probably deal with this so little that they do not know about the changes, so, I got to inform them and will follow up with additional information.  

I just wanted to verify that I was correct and had not missed something, somehow.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So, got a suppressor and was out today, small town, and went by the sheriff's office to drop off the notification.  I use a trust.  I asked for a receipt for confirmation and they refused.  They claim that I have to give them a photo and the sheriff must sign and approve.  I explained a couple of times the rule change and that it is a notification only and that photos and prints only go to the ATF.  The sheriff does not sign or approve, it is a notification only.
View Quote

This is why you drop it in the mail and forgetaboutit, preferably to a higher authority like AG or State Police.

But since you want a FTF, instead of arguing/explaining to them, just show the the instructions on the form.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yep, just notify and be done with it.
View Quote
This

Someone doesn't know the new rules.  Our new atty general has arrest powers and was kicking back people notifying them via silencershop purchases.  They said they weren't the correct agency for this even though they are the highest CLEO in the state .  Some are resending them to their sheriff, most aren't.  They were notified and that's good enough.   Guess they figured it out as they haven't sent my latest back.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for sharing your experience. i will Mail my info in rather than drop off in person to avoid the local sheriffs liberal gun grabbing BS.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:19:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This

Someone doesn't know the new rules.  Our new atty general has arrest powers and was kicking back people notifying them via silencershop purchases.  They said they weren't the correct agency for this even though they are the highest CLEO in the state .  Some are resending them to their sheriff, most aren't.  They were notified and that's good enough.   Guess they figured it out as they haven't sent my latest back.
View Quote
Yea I sent mine one for a form 1 after looking at my only silencer shop purchase at the time and seeing that's where they were sending them. I got a call from his office from a woman that was saying they asked the atf and that I should send it to my local chief of police. I asked about the forms coming from silencer shop and said that they legally were an option and she claimed she hadn't seen the ones from them and said they were mailing mine back to me. I don't really care as they were notified. I actually asked silencer shop about it when I did another purchase from them and they said their legal people had given them a list and that's what they were going to continue to use. The funny thing is neither of my form 4's from them have had their reasonable person stuff forwarded to me.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#11]
This whole cluster shows what a joke the NFA actually is.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yea I sent mine one for a form 1 after looking at my only silencer shop purchase at the time and seeing that's where they were sending them. I got a call from his office from a woman that was saying they asked the atf and that I should send it to my local chief of police. I asked about the forms coming from silencer shop and said that they legally were an option and she claimed she hadn't seen the ones from them and said they were mailing mine back to me. I don't really care as they were notified. I actually asked silencer shop about it when I did another purchase from them and they said their legal people had given them a list and that's what they were going to continue to use. The funny thing is neither of my form 4's from them have had their reasonable person stuff forwarded to me.
View Quote
Why not direct her to the instructions printed on the damn form?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Why not direct her to the instructions printed on the damn form?
View Quote
I tried, she told me the atf said they were not the correct people to send them too.

In the end they were notified, I don't care past that point.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I've gotten several calls from Sheriffs asking me what they were supposed to do with the forms........
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#15]
You have to cause them to be delivered to the CLEO, that's all. You don't have to have a discussion.

May I suggest:

1) Putting them in an envelope with a stamp.
2) Leaving them at the front desk.
3) Mailing them with a bunch of other unrelated nonsensical printouts so they will never discern the related documents from the rest.
4) Entirely enclose them in a welded steel block, or alternatively a wooden block, where they are not visible and it is not obvious anything could be enclosed.

Probably just go with one.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Just mail the notification to the local yokel with a confirmation of delivery

done
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:42:17 AM EDT
[#17]
There is no requirement to maintain proof of notification. I would not waste my time/money with unnecessary things, like arguing with uninformed people.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Gee, just put them in an envelope, pick a name, your locql sheriff, and fergitit!  NFA says notify.thats what you did!
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#19]
This sounds like a cluster.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#20]
The problem with not obtaining proof of notification is:

You are compelled to follow Federal Law.  How do you prove you have done it, if it ever comes into question?

After explaining this up the chain of command, my local CLEO made copies of all pages, and stamped them with the department stamp, and the date.
Maybe not all are as cooperative as mine.

That I am required to do this, and the fact that they can take it out of my hands, never even look at the pages, and drop them directly into the shredder -is too stupid for further comment.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You are compelled to follow Federal Law.  How do you prove you have done it, if it ever comes into question?....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You are compelled to follow Federal Law.  How do you prove you have done it, if it ever comes into question?....
<---FFL/SOT
No federal law requires ANYONE to have "proof of notification"......so there is no need to prove you have done it.
If it makes you feel better then mail it Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested.

In fact, there's not even a requirement for the CLEO to keep or file the Form 4 CLEO copies he gets. He can trash them immediately.

After explaining this up the chain of command, my local CLEO made copies of all pages, and stamped them with the department stamp, and the date.
Maybe not all are as cooperative as mine.
Did you volunteer a DNA sample as well?

That I am required to do this, and the fact that they can take it out of my hands, never even look at the pages, and drop them directly into the shredder -is too stupid for further comment.
Yet you asked for proof.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#22]
You're correct.  Send it requiring a signature.  Keep the printout saying who signed.  All good.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Mail it return receipt if you are concerned
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Just for the sake of discussion, a delivery receipt does not prove WHAT was delivered.  You could have sent the sheriff a birthday card.  Or maybe a campaign contribution.

If you dig really really deep into Florida code, the CLEO is required to keep the notification on file for a specified time period.  It is public record.  The length of the retention period is subject to interpretation...

RETENTION:
a) Record copy. Retain until obsolete, superseded, or administrative value is lost.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#25]
It doesn't matter to you if the CLEO retains it or not. It doesn't matter if have proof of delivery either.

Just drop it in the mail to your favorite jurisdictional CLEO and you're done with this part. 
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It doesn't matter to you if the CLEO retains it or not. It doesn't matter if have proof of delivery either.

Just drop it in the mail to your favorite jurisdictional CLEO and you're done with this part. 
View Quote
It matters to me in principle.  The retention of the record is in direct conflict with F. S. 790.335.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You are compelled to follow Federal Law.  How do you prove you have done it, if it ever comes into question?
View Quote
Technically it'd be the other way. How do they prove you violated federal law by NOT doing it?

So, if they visit your home and you have all the unsent forms laying around, or they find them in your garbage or whatever, then so be it. Otherwise, doesn't really matter.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It matters to me in principle.  The retention of the record is in direct conflict with F. S. 790.335.
View Quote
That's a valid point and an interesting law. File a complaint with FDLE if you believe they're retaining the forms, and follow up with the AG's office. Do you know if anyone's been prosecuted under 790.335?
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That's a valid point and an interesting law. File a complaint with FDLE if you believe they're retaining the forms, and follow up with the AG's office. Do you know if anyone's been prosecuted under 790.335?
View Quote
I will wait a year, it is to soon.  The notification requirement for NFA is relativity new.  It will be more fun to wait a year and then make a freedom of information request, or maybe just drop by the SO and do a public records request.

ETA:  Sorry for getting technical about Florida statutes and code.  I forgot I was not on the Florida hometown forum where I usually post.  My bad!
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Its a federal law, not state law, if they want to keep them indefinitely or come vistit you it doesn't matter. you sent them.  You don't have the form I your possession, you mailed it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#31]
All you have to do is notify.  There's no requirement that you document your notification.  If you mail it in you've done your part.

If they kick it back saying they're not the right agency, well, you've still satisfied the law.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#32]
You are compelled to follow Federal Law. How do you prove you have done it, if it ever comes into question?
View Quote
How will they prove you didn't do it?  They would have to prove you DIDN'T notify.  All you have to day is you DID notify.  There's no requirement to document the notification under the law.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:20:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Mail them a photo of your balls. 
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Before I mail it, I make a copy of the signed form and a copy of the addressed and stamped envelope.  I'm not too worried they will try to prove I didn't drop it in the mail slot.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Before I mail it, I make a copy of the signed form and a copy of the addressed and stamped envelope.  I'm not too worried they will try to prove I didn't drop it in the mail slot.
View Quote
Other than having two photographs what does that supposedly prove?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Other than having two photographs what does that supposedly prove?
View Quote
Doesn't prove anything.  Nor do I have to prove anything.

But it demonstrates an intent to comply with the notification requirement, costs very little (copies, not photographs ) and it is probably a good idea to keep a copy of everything you submitted anyway so no significant additional burden.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or you could not do that, and if questioned make that stuff up years later.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#38]
The irony here is the major FFLs who are doing F1/F4s on behalf of folks are doing none of this recordkeeping.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:01:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Or you could not do that, and if questioned make that stuff up years later.
View Quote
I suppose, if they come to your door, you could ask them to wait a minute while you type up a quick envelope.  

Like someone said above, a return receipt really doesn't prove anything either, except that you mailed something, including, but not limited to, a happy birthday card.  

If you really want irrefutable "proof", I suppose you could go down to your local LEO's office and ask for a signed receipt.  Unfortunately, I live in a major metro area so it's not like I can come on down to play checkers and set-a-spell with the local version of Andy and Barney while they sign the receipt.  

Nope, Miami-Dade will happily keep you waiting.  I can pretty much guarantee that.  I work, so that's not how I'd like to spend a morning or afternoon...or entire day if you get ahold of the wrong person.  

Choices, choices.  

Of course your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because he hired Barney Fife's.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I suppose, if they come to your door, you could ask them to wait a minute while you type up a quick envelope....
View Quote
Yeah, you could.
FFS
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I suppose, if they come to your door, you could ask them to wait a minute while you type up a quick envelope.  
View Quote
I guess that might also come with a no-knock at 0400. So better have it made in advance and keep it taped to your front door just in case.

Wow, all those Silencer Shop customers are at such risk since they do not any such "proof".
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I guess that might also come with a no-knock at 0400. So better have it made in advance and keep it taped to your front door just in case.

Wow, all those Silencer Shop customers are at such risk since they do not any such "proof".
View Quote
Nope, I just keep it in the file with the copies of my Form 1 applications.

Never said anyone was at risk.  I just posted what I do.  No need to get the panties bunched over it---just disregard if it makes you unhappy.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah, you could.
FFS
View Quote
lol.  Go easy, Tex.

Must be that time of the month.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:26:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
lol.  Go easy, Tex.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, you could.
FFS
lol.  Go easy, Tex.

I have a feeling some of you are paranoid more than once a month.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:30:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Like someone said above, a return receipt really doesn't prove anything either, except that you mailed something, including, but not limited to, a happy birthday card.  

If you really want irrefutable "proof", I suppose you could go down to your local LEO's office and ask for a signed receipt.  Unfortunately, I live in a major metro area so it's not like I can come on down to play checkers and set-a-spell with the local version of Andy and Barney while they sign the receipt.  

Nope, Miami-Dade will happily keep you waiting.  I can pretty much guarantee that.  I work, so that's not how I'd like to spend a morning or afternoon...or entire day if you get ahold of the wrong person.  

Choices, choices.  

Of course your mileage may vary.
View Quote
Yes, because that happens...all the time...over CLEO notifications...
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Silencer Shop notifies state AG.  That probably qualifies, and at that level they either know what to do with it, or they are big enough that the notification will get lost in the bureaucracy.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yes, because that happens...all the time...over CLEO notifications...
View Quote
lol.  Never said it did.   I was just responding to the post above mind that said something about being questioned over the matter.

But one thing is for sure, you and browntown tom are worse than a bunch of squabbling old hens.  lol
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#49]
OP, it apparently is the norm for LE to know absolutely nothing about NFA. Last week, I contacted my State Police in effort to avoid the cluster of my last CLEO notification with Local Sheriff. They were clueless and sent me in a circular chase referring me to department after department all not knowing what I was talking about. I just wanted to know which department to note "Attention To" on my notification. My last dealing with the sheriff was when a signature was required. He initially thought what I was asking was illegal. He consulted with multiple authorities and finally reluctantly signed with the attitude he was "going out on a limb". The entire NFA process for SBR and suppressors is utterly ridiculous.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#50]
If anything I'd just take any letter or note that they sent back to you and use it as proof that they were notified.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top