Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2017 8:31:13 AM EDT
I'm sure it has been asked before, but I can not find what I am looking for...  Do I need to fill out a 5320.20 to take a suppressor to a different state.  I will be traveling from Pa to Ga and then to Tn for a few days.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#1]
No. Bring copies of your stamps and make sure your destination state is suppressor friendly.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No. Bring copies of your stamps and make sure your destination state is suppressor friendly.
View Quote
This is the correct answer.^^

Personally I also like to check any states that I am passing through.  If I'm passing through a state that is not friendly, then I do a 5320.20 for that trip.  Just me, I'm overly cautious. And since silencers are firearms, I am careful to transport them IAW the Firearm Owners Protection Act.  Of course this does not apply to your trip.  Be safe.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone.  I will be traveling through Maryland.  I am going to be sure that I don't have to stop at all.

Quoted:

You can't find what you're looking for? Ever thought about looking at your Form 1/4?
View Quote
I did not think to look there.  What section are you talking about?  I did see where it talks about SBR's and SBS's, but nothing about suppressors.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone.  I will be traveling through Maryland.  I am going to be sure that I don't have to stop at all.

I did not think to look there.  What section are you talking about?  I did see where it talks about SBR's and SBS's, but nothing about suppressors.
View Quote
I think that is the point he is trying to make.  SBRs, SBS, MGs, and DDs require prior approval.  AOWs and silencers are not mentioned in the instructions of the 5320.20.  This is because the regulations do not require prior approval.

ATF Martinsburg will be happy to approve a 5320.20 if you submit it.  My silencers hang on the front of SBRs, so it is simple for me to put the SBRs and Silencers on the same form and get both approved.

So many reasons you don't want to stop in Maryland, but I believe they are silencer friendly.  Triple check before you go.  Comply with FOPA which requires uninterrupted passage.

If this is a routine trip, you can get a 5320.20 approved for recurring trips for up to a year.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think that is the point he is trying to make.  SBRs, SBS, MGs, and DDs require prior approval.  AOWs and silencers are not mentioned in the instructions of the 5320.20.  This is because the regulations do not require prior approval.

ATF Martinsburg will be happy to approve a 5320.20 if you submit it.  My silencers hang on the front of SBRs, so it is simple for me to put the SBRs and Silencers on the same form and get both approved.

So many reasons you don't want to stop in Maryland, but I believe they are silencer friendly.  Triple check before you go.  Comply with FOPA which requires uninterrupted passage.

If this is a routine trip, you can get a 5320.20 approved for recurring trips for up to a year.
View Quote
I thought so.  I did not know if there was another section that I did not see.  I know about the FOPA.  I drive a pickup truck with no cap on it...
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I thought so.  I did not know if there was another section that I did not see.  I know about the FOPA.  I drive a pickup truck with no cap on it...
View Quote
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A
View Quote
Thank you...
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't want to be an internet lawyer, but

for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, to transport in interstate or foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun (as defined in section 5845 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986), short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle
View Quote
seems to refer only to interstate or foreign commerce.  Could a case be made that transporting a MG, SBR, SBS, or DD across state lines is done outside the definition of "commerce"?

I mean, if I travel out of state and conduct no business, purchase or sell no items whatsoever, bring my own ammo, am I really engaging in interstate commerce?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

seems to refer only to interstate or foreign commerce.  Could a case be made that transporting a MG, SBR, SBS, or DD across state lines is done outside the definition of "commerce"?

I mean, if I travel out of state and conduct no business, purchase or sell no items whatsoever, bring my own ammo, am I really engaging in interstate commerce?
View Quote
That ship has sailed, SCOTUS has ruled to the effect that "commerce" also means "non-commerce".  Essentially, if you take your something into another state, you have indirectly effected "commerce" in that state because the alternative is you would have purchased those goods there rather than bring them with you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That ship has sailed, SCOTUS has ruled to the effect that "commerce" also means "non-commerce".  Essentially, if you take your something into another state, you have indirectly effected "commerce" in that state because the alternative is you would have purchased those goods there rather than bring them with you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This +1000

The feds have hung every hat they wear on the federal commerce laws and will burn the country to the ground to keep it that way.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This +1000

The feds have hung every hat they wear on the federal commerce laws and will burn the country to the ground to keep it that way.
View Quote
And it all started with a loaf of bread.  Next time someone laughs at you for using the "slippery-slop" argument just smile and think about that loaf of bread.

They don't want to take your guns, they just want a little common sense gun safety.  Yea, right!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top