Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2017 7:02:32 PM EDT
so got the stamp.  I thought it would be a real stamp, not a watermark on my form I sent in.  anyways, lol.

I'm curious about updating the Trust.  I've printed out a new assignments and put in the information in.  On my trust, it just requires a date and my signature.

Now when I'm out and about, do I need to have a copy of this assignment sheet too?  Same with benef?  I'm just curious as to which part I can omit on the trust.

Down the road if/when I get more NFA items.  I assume I have to send in the updated version to the ATF and not just the $1 version?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
so got the stamp.  I thought it would be a real stamp, not a watermark on my form I sent in.  anyways, lol.

I'm curious about updating the Trust.  I've printed out a new assignments and put in the information in.  On my trust, it just requires a date and my signature.

Now when I'm out and about, do I need to have a copy of this assignment sheet too?  Same with benef?  I'm just curious as to which part I can omit on the trust.

Down the road if/when I get more NFA items.  I assume I have to send in the updated version to the ATF and not just the $1 version?
View Quote

Why on Earth would you carry a copy of your trust when you're "out and about?"
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why on Earth would you carry a copy of your trust when you're "out and about?"
View Quote
I thought that's what you had to do, just in case?

Carry your stamp and trust if it's registered to a Trust?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:29:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I thought that's what you had to do, just in case?

Carry your stamp and trust if it's registered to a Trust?
View Quote
Nah, really not needed IMO.

And you don't have to send the most updated property list to the ATF next time either.  They have no way of checking it anyway.  For all of the stamps I've filed for they got the same original copy with the first $200 funding to the trust.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on state laws.  Best practice in TX is to carry a copy (or picture) of your stamp.  Show it to the cop when asked.  Most cops would leave you be.

In Texas though the stamp is just a "defense to prosecution".  Which means an NFA firearm like a machine gun or SBR is still a "prohibited weapon", you just have a pre-emptive defense to being prosecuted.  So you can still be cited even if you have a stamp, your ID, your trust, etc...  Because think about it...how is some beat cop going to know if that stamp is real or not (especially if you have the digital one from an e-file)?  They won't be able to determine that.  So they are given the leeway to issue the citation, and the city/county/whatever who would actually bring charges checks the validity of the registration before prosecuting.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#5]
When I draft NFA Trusts, there's the full 26 (or so) page version and then a 2 page "Certification of Trust" that lists the trustees (beneficiaries can't possess the trust's assets unless they are also a trustee).  I recommend to my clients to take the two page Certification and their approved Form 1/4 to Kinkos and make double sided 50% copies (about 4"x5") and then laminate them.  I keep two or three sets of these together on key rings- range bag, glove box, safe, etc.  I also scanned all of the documents to a pdf file and saved them to my phone.  But I don't keep a copy of the full trust handy.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When I draft NFA Trusts, there's the full 26 (or so) page version and then a 2 page "Certification of Trust" that lists the trustees (beneficiaries can't possess the trust's assets unless they are also a trustee).  I recommend to my clients to take the two page Certification and their approved Form 1/4 to Kinkos and make double sided 50% copies (about 4"x5") and then laminate them.  I keep two or three sets of these together on key rings- range bag, glove box, safe, etc.  I also scanned all of the documents to a pdf file and saved them to my phone.  But I don't keep a copy of the full trust handy.
View Quote
I do have a 2 page certificate too. Thx.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top