User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2017 2:28:31 PM EDT
or is the first page sufficient?

Btw, FINALLY!
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 5:55:49 AM EDT
[#1]
First, congratulations!

To answer your question, you do not need the last two pages. I usually just print the first page, but you can always print the first and second page double sided if you like.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:01:15 AM EDT
[#2]
CONGRATS WELCOME TO THE COUNTRY CLUB

Now your going to be annoyed by those who are not a member when you go and shoot
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]
My 2nd page is blank since this is with a trust. Can we modify our paperwork by shrinking them? Want to pack the stamp page and trust only on a few sheets if possible.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes I  carry mine electronically on my phone
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Just to clarify, the PDF that I received today from BATFE for my Form 1 that I e-filed IS my stamp. I won't be receiving anything else in the mail from them. Correct?

My Form 1 for my trust was e-filed on July 9, 2016. I received it today 298 days later. I am still waiting on another Form 1 filed on the same day.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#6]
When you say pdf they emailed you. If your referring to the digital copy of your tax stamp with the seal on it. Then yes.

If its not the tax stamp copy they sent you. Log on to your acct at atfs web site and save it and print it out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#7]

(e) Proof of registration. A person possessing a firearm registered as required by this section shall retain proof of registration which shall be made available to the Secretary upon request.

There is no specific time frame to make the proof of registration available to the secretary and no case law to support a time frame. It does not say you have to provide proof immediately on the spot with the NFA item. If proof is requested you have a reasonable amount of time, in my opinion 3-5 business days, to present requested documents if presented with an appropriate and legal request for them.

As previously mentioned on another forum, people seem to be really fascinated with carrying the most sensitive and private tax documents they will ever own around with them like they're baseball trading cards. Carrying them around and scaled down to a smaller size is not just going to be a get out of jail free card for unreasonable LEO's that don't interpret the law correctly.

The only merit I see in having the documents readily available is for shooting at a private indoor range that may request to see them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:09:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Your absolutely right. But there are alot of LEOs that actually do not know the laws they are suppose to enforce. That's why I carry a copy of they in my accordion file in my vehicle. But I have read where that does not even work sometimes. It just makes them even madder.

But 95% of LEOs are pretty cool about. It's mostly LEOs in Northern states that seem to have the most problems with interpretation of the nfa laws. From what I've read........
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:14:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

(e) Proof of registration. A person possessing a firearm registered as required by this section shall retain proof of registration which shall be made available to the Secretary upon request.

There is no specific time frame to make the proof of registration available to the secretary and no case law to support a time frame. It does not say you have to provide proof immediately on the spot with the NFA item. If proof is requested you have a reasonable amount of time, in my opinion 3-5 business days, to present requested documents if presented with an appropriate and legal request for them.

As previously mentioned on another forum, people seem to be really fascinated with carrying the most sensitive and private tax documents they will ever own around with them like they're baseball trading cards. Carrying them around and scaled down to a smaller size is not just going to be a get out of jail free card for unreasonable LEO's that don't interpret the law correctly.

The only merit I see in having the documents readily available is for shooting at a private indoor range that may request to see them.
View Quote
It is illegal in most states to have NFA weapons unless they are properly registered with the feds. The only way to prove that is with the approved forms. Yeah the LEO can run a serial trace with ATF and figure it out, but they're not likely to do that on the side of the road.

Typical senario - LEO sees a contraband weapon and starts discussing it with the owner. Owner says it's registered with BATF but doesn't have any proof with him right now. LEO takes contraband.

So yeah, you can risk handing your stuff over to someone who will not care a thing about how it's treated, and later showing your documents; OR you can keep a copy with you for that just in case encounter.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey I agree. The cops are just doing a job for the most part. I'm not going to argue with them and say, hey that's some kind of ninja super secret tax document. I'm showing it to them.  

Until they have actual proof that weapon is legal. I'm not sure local police can access your nfa documents. ATFE can most the time. But in the mean time your not going any place.

But even then I've heard of that even when a few people even produced their documents for nfa items. It still depends on weather the LEOs know the laws. They still detained those people. Until ATF  showed up on scene.  Go figure it was up North and yes it was in states where it was legal to own the weapons.

It's just that you get transplant LEOs from ban states in progun states and they do not know the laws and they freak out.  I've had some real interesting conversations with some of these transplants at the range I RO at sometimes. You just have to laugh at some of the things they say. I especially like to watch their faces when they are real new and they see people pull out their nfa toys.

But most leo guys are cool about nfa items down here. Alot if them have them also at home.

Heck I've had civilians, people that just moved down to Florida from ban states or restrictive states. See me pull out SBRs, suppressors ect...... and flip out.

Come over to me and start telling me that I'm breaking the law. That I can't own this or that. I explain to some where they live now. To others that come at me like D heads I tell them to get out of my face or they will be leaving the range.
Some have even said that they'd call the police. I laugh and say, you do that. They go running up to the office. I see them waving their arms and going nuts.

Then stand there with a blank stare on their face. While looking at me. While the owner is talking to them. I just grin at them shaking my head.

Cops I will not argue with. I will show them what ever they ask for. But private people that think your breaking the law. No...they need to mind their business. Everytime it's always someone from a northern state that's mostly anti gun. That I have had problems with at the gun range. Not often, but a few times a year. The gun range is next to a hugh retirement city.

Do you have to carry documentation no. Is it wise to do so. You bet your butt it is. Plus be nice when LE ask to see them. They really do not know if your legal or not and if your respectful to them they will be to you. 95% of the time. You will always have thise bad apples though in LE that respect no one.

But here in Florida we are not required to info LE that we are carrying a weapon unless asked. So if we get pulled over. Unless they ask us. We do not have to tell them we have weapons in our vehicles.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It is illegal in most states to have NFA weapons unless they are properly registered with the feds. The only way to prove that is with the approved forms. Yeah the LEO can run a serial trace with ATF and figure it out, but they're not likely to do that on the side of the road.

Typical senario - LEO sees a contraband weapon and starts discussing it with the owner. Owner says it's registered with BATF but doesn't have any proof with him right now. LEO takes contraband.

So yeah, you can risk handing your stuff over to someone who will not care a thing about how it's treated, and later showing your documents; OR you can keep a copy with you for that just in case encounter.
View Quote
I keep my papers or electronic copies handy.

That said, police need to be able to be able to articulate why they reasonably believe a crime has been committed. Papers Please doesn't really cut it legally, IMO. That and 5 bucks will get you a cup of coffee.

At the end of the day, unless the police can articulate why they believe this guy with SBR is committing a crime vs this other guy with SBR is not - then they don't really have the right to intrude and demand papers. Again, you may beat them in court (if I were the judge) but you won't beat the ride once they start making demands.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
While Federal rules maybe interpreted this way, it is irresponsible to say that copies are not required.  You should tell people to check their state and local laws because sometimes they DO require you to carry the paperwork with you which gets you a fine and your weapon confiscated.

Part of the laws in my state:

(5) A person who possesses a short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle that is greater than 26 inches in length under this section shall possess a copy of the federal registration of that short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle while transporting or using that short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle and shall present that federal registration to a peace officer upon request by that peace officer.

(6) A person who violates subsection (5) is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be fined not more than $100.00. A short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle carried in violation of subsection (5) is subject to immediate seizure by a peace officer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top