Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2017 11:36:44 AM EDT
Is there a template available so that I can type in all of my info, stick the fingerprint cards in my printer and print the data on them?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#1]
This would be great if their was a template.  If so thanks
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't seen a true template, but it's fairly easy to add text to a PDF using an editor.
You'll need the correct heavy cardstock to print the 8x8" cards on. It's free, but they normally only ship them to agencies, as they're 1,000 count boxes of blanks.

If you wanted to print on normal unfilled FD-258 cards, you'd need to remove everything except the data you want printed, so it wouldn't double-up the lines and existing text. I guess the easiest way would be to import the "template" PDF as the background, place all text data where it needs to be, then delete the background. Make sure it's spaced properly for the true 8x8".

If I was going to go through that level of effort, I'd go ahead and scan a completed form, crop the prints and all my data, and save that PDF as a personal "completion" template. That way I could easily reproduce as many complete FD-258's as needed, on demand. Just sign and done.

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/standard-fingerprint-form-fd-258-1.pdf
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you mean the completely blank cards with nothing on them at all?
That's what I was referring to. They're called Live Scan cards.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't seen a true template, but it's fairly easy to add text to a PDF using an editor.
You'll need the correct heavy cardstock to print the 8x8" cards on. It's free, but they normally only ship them to agencies, as they're 1,000 count boxes of blanks.

If you wanted to print on normal unfilled FD-258 cards, you'd need to remove everything except the data you want printed, so it wouldn't double-up the lines and existing text. I guess the easiest way would be to import the "template" PDF as the background, place all text data where it needs to be, then delete the background. Make sure it's spaced properly for the true 8x8".

If I was going to go through that level of effort, I'd go ahead and scan a completed form, crop the prints and all my data, and save that PDF as a personal "completion" template. That way I could easily reproduce as many complete FD-258's as needed, on demand. Just sign and done.

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/standard-fingerprint-form-fd-258-1.pdf
View Quote
If you scan into acrobat you can print the form fields you create only and ignore the background image. Wouldn't be too difficult to do with a master print card.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I created a excel file to print the fields.  First I made a grid on a blank card and marked out the boxes needed.

The arrow is the feed direction and the xlsx file is printed in landscape mode due to my printers margins.

Then I merged the cells and sized the text.

It's not perfect, and I have yet to use them.  But, it should work.  I've even played with scanning a completed card and pasting the prints into the boxes.  My ink jet prints little dots next to each print.  I don't think printing scanned prints will work with my printer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 12:36:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know if my post was helpful, but here's an update.  Just after printing the examples for the post above, my printer decided to stop feeding paper. The rubber on the rollers finally gave out.  So, I had to buy a new printer and make the new templates below.

I started, once again, with a grid pattern.  This time I used smaller boxes for greater precision of text placement.  Arrow shows feed angle and print boxes for pasting scanned prints in future tests.

Finished sample, for now.

Edit: picture correction
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top