Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2017 6:43:43 AM EDT
Is there a common place that most people use? I know most of us would want it at the least conspicuous spot, but my guy wants the easiest place. Short of sending it out I don't have much to choose from. Thanks,
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:06:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:38:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Under where the stocks attach.  See above post.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#3]
If that is under the stock, it's not legal. Conspicuous definition: "standing out so as to be clearly visible" Tell me more.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If that is under the stock, it's not legal. Conspicuous definition: "standing out so as to be clearly visible" Tell me more.
View Quote
AFAIK, there are zero confiscations/prosecutions for a firearm that has been engraved by a maker, regardless of location, size, etc.

Stock channel is easy, or the BBL so as to not mar the receiver.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone for the advice.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:15:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I go barrel (6 o'clock position) for engraving on all my HKs.

Its not like they are modular like an AR where uppers could get swapped around, barrels are pretty much fixed and you will burn though a tractor trailer load of ammo before you burn up a 9MM MP5 barrel.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
There are manufacturers who mark this exact location, now they might all have a variance to do so, but it is a very common spot that I'm sure would be checked if someone was to be looking for that info
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine is in the rail under the sliding stock.  Meets ATF requirements and when the stock is extended is fully visable.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:30:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Mine is in the rail under the sliding stock.  Meets ATF requirements and when the stock is extended is fully visable.
View Quote
What he said
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:32:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm going with engraving on the barrel on mine.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:38:59 AM EDT
[#11]
On the magwell 
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#12]
All 3 of mine are on the magwell. Engraver matched manufacturers markings fairly close so after I finished over it, my trust info "blends in"
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
On the rear tang.

Similar to this:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2eek31i.jpg
View Quote
FWIW- Mike at TSC has been officially notified by ATF that he can no longer mark it there. He now marks guns very discreetly on top in the space between the model and the serial number.

I know because he is SBRing two HK94s for me right now (just waiting on the forms to be approved).
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

FWIW- Mike at TSC has been officially notified by ATF that he can no longer mark it there.
View Quote
So has TPM Outfitters.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So has TPM Outfitters.
View Quote

TPM was also told they could not engrave the barrel either.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
TPM was also told they could not engrave the barrel either.
View Quote
They can engrave the BBL, just not under the handguards ("We were told absolutely no way to engrave on the barrel because the handguard covers the markings").

They are also free to bypass the IOI and get a variance.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I engrave the barrel on my HKs and my regulation required maker markings are clearly visible with the handguard installed.  All you have to do is flip the gun over and the maker markings are clearly visible to even a trained chimp....no disassembly required.

What is the ATFs next plan.... to tell HK that they cant engrave the serial number or model on the top rib anymore because somebody could install an optic and the claw mount covers them up?
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What is the ATFs next plan.... to tell HK that they cant engrave the serial number or model on the top rib anymore because somebody could install an optic and the claw mount covers them up?
View Quote
The regulation requires the MFG to mark it in a conspicuous location. The MFG does that.

The regulation does NOT require the MFG to mark it in a location the end user cannot cover with a accessory.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The regulation requires the MFG to mark it in a conspicuous location. The MFG does that.

The regulation does NOT require the MFG to mark it in a location the end user cannot cover with a accessory.
View Quote

That was somewhat my point.

It would seem that TPM could mark the barrel in a conspicuous location and finish the build with a vented handguard so that the engraving is clearly/conspicuously visible when it leaves their possession as the maker/manufacturer.

Its not their responsibility if the end user wants to replace the handguard "accessory" with a different version down the road that may or may not cover the markings.

I fail to see how that scenario is different than an end user who installs a optics/claw  mount and covers the rib markings.  Its not like HK couldnt foresee this happening as they make the referenced optic mount and build in claw mount tabs on the receiver specifically for this reason.  (vs. say remington who doesnt manufacture a cartridge side saddle accessory for their 870s which also covers the markings when installed)

For their clone builds it seems like a non-issue.... just mark up the receiver.

However,  if doing a German HK94 conversion and the customer doenst want the receiver marked up,  than mark the barrel and provide the gun back to the customer with a vented handguard and then leave it up to the end user to decide if they want to replace the $30 accessory with the component of their choosing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It would seem that TPM could mark the barrel in a conspicuous location and finish the build with a vented handguard so that the engraving is clearly/conspicuously visible when it leaves their possession as the maker/manufacturer.
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#22]
You can abreviate Florida
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:03:44 AM EDT
[#23]
I just don't see any reason not to engrave in the stock grooves.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Engrave the barrel.

When you burn up the barrel and replace it, there are no regulations or laws mandating you re-engrave the barrel again.

Example, M1 garands that were imported by blue sky. People have replaced worn barrels with new ones and they do not engrave the original import engravings. These fall under the same regs as a firearm maker.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Engrave the barrel.

When you burn up the barrel and replace it, there are no regulations or laws mandating you re-engrave the barrel again.

Example, M1 garands that were imported by blue sky. People have replaced worn barrels with new ones and they do not engrave the original import engravings. These fall under the same regs as a firearm maker.
View Quote
I'm planning on swapping the barrel to a three lug, so I should "engrave the old barrel" before having a gunsmith swap it to the new barrel?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Engrave the barrel.

View Quote
You can NOT alter or destroy the engravings/ markings on a title 2 weapon.

You can NOT alter or destroy the serial number on a title 1 weapon.

There is a difference.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm planning on swapping the barrel to a three lug, so I should "engrave the old barrel" before having a gunsmith swap it to the new barrel?
View Quote
Engrave the new barrel, if that is where you want the engraving.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top