Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2017 10:39:52 PM EDT
From what I can tell, this is a shock to everyone.  He had a physical a week earlier and was given a clean bill of health.  Then fell over dead from a massive heart attack. I only found out about it due to my M&P transfer being returned to the shipping FFL.  I have tried emailing and calling, but no answer.  Found an obituary for a different town and a notice posted to a Facebook group for an organization he was part of.

The question is: now what?  

I have one Form 4 that should return any day now, and one Form 4 still pending.  Four more Form 3's that are going to be approved any day.
I will try to have the Form 3's cancelled and transferred to another dealer, if possible.  But what happens to the other Form 4's?  Does the ATF have another dealer step in?  Will the ATF expedite his pending transfers?  Any insight from the hive?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:41:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for results
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:20:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Was the SOT held by a single individual or an entity?

Contact the family ask for the executor of the estate.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#3]
The FFL was in the name of a business, but it was a one man show.  His home/business phone is going to a answering machine.  It has only been three weeks.  From what I understand of wills and probate, that could take months.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
In such a circumstance, ATF usually moves them to another in-state (hopefully, local) dealer and expedites them. Contact ATF.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Much of it depends on how the business was set up and if someone is going to keep it going.

I would also start with the ATF, they may or may not know the status of the company
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I've tried calling the ATF Tampa field office yesterday and today.  I get transferred to a extension that rings 5-6 times then goes to voicemail.  I have left messages, but no call backs yet.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the exact same thing happen, my 03 dealer dropped dead from a heart attack.

The local ATF office stepped in and helped the guy's daughter process all the pending transfers.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've tried calling the ATF Tampa field office yesterday and today.  I get transferred to a extension that rings 5-6 times then goes to voicemail.  I have left messages, but no call backs yet.
View Quote
Call the NFA Branch, not the local office.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Operator transferred me to the Tampa agent yesterday, as the Orlando agents weren't answering.  The Orlando agent called me this morning.  This is the first they have heard of the FFL passing.  She is going to try to contact the widow, and then contact the NFA branch to see what they can do with the transfers.  It's now a waiting game.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Operator transferred me to the Tampa agent yesterday, as the Orlando agents weren't answering.  The Orlando agent called me this morning.  This is the first they have heard of the FFL passing.  She is going to try to contact the widow, and then contact the NFA branch to see what they can do with the transfers.  It's now a waiting game.
View Quote

ATF is really good about helping get the transfers done when an FFL/SOT passes away.

If the executor is comfortable completing the transfers and paperwork then the ATF will let her do that.  If she's not a gun person or is overwhelmed with everything else then another FFL/SOT can be asked to step in to help get things done.  You will get your stuff, it'll just take some more time.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, call NFA branch: (304) 616-4500
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Local ATF agent just called me.  She was able to contact the widow, and is going to contact the NFA branch to see what can be done to expedite the transfers.  Apparently one of my Form 4's was returned for "incorrect barrel length" on a suppressor.  She said the widow knew nothing about the gun business, that was her husbands hobby.  She had a list of people to notify that are waiting on transfers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Local ATF agent just called me.  She was able to contact the widow, and is going to contact the NFA branch to see what can be done to expedite the transfers.  Apparently one of my Form 4's was returned for "incorrect barrel length" on a suppressor.  She said the widow knew nothing about the gun business, that was her husbands hobby.  She had a list of people to notify that are waiting on transfers.
View Quote
I am one of them. My form 4 should be approved soon, 10 months on it, I am a bit worried now. John's widow is not much of a gun person as I see it too. Is there a contact for the lead agent that I can talk to?
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 12:23:27 AM EDT
[#14]
IM sent
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Update: None,  Just called local ATF Agent.  She is waiting to hear from NFA branch.  I asked about my Form 4 that was returned with and error, and she said the widow was not going to correct and resubmit the form.  They are probably going to deny and refund the Tax.  I asked about the money I already paid for the suppressor, and she said that was between myself and the widow.  She doesn't know if they can have another SOT/FFL take over the transfers.  

I have placed a call and left a voicemail with the NFA Branch to ask for further guidance.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#16]
That's not between you and the widow. that's between you and the estate - you may want to check what the status through probate is. I'd think you'd be screwed if it clears probate.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#17]
If the widow (executor of the estate) is not willing to correct the Form 4 and it is denied.  I guess I will have to fill a claim against the estate with the court.  I'm currently researching this now.  My second Form 4 is still pending from this dealer.  The NFA branch never return my call today.  I will try again on Monday.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#18]
this is a prime example of why i go through a big name dealer and not a mom and pop shop.  I hope things work out for you on everything
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:08:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Heirs can complete the transfers.  Its in the book somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Update: Spoke with Heather in the NFA branch this morning. She put a note/hold on both Form 4's. The Form 4 with the error was due to Gemtech having a incorrect OAL then trying to correct it.  She said this was an issue with more Form 4's than just mine.  It's for a Gemtch Mist 22 Takedown. They requested a correction on May 18th, then will check it again in 30 days.  If no correction is received, the Form 4 was to be denied. She noted both transfers so they won't be denied and will be contacting the local agent to find out what the situation is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top