Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2017 12:14:50 AM EDT
Well long story short, my dealer sent off an incorrect form 4. My trust reads "xxxx trust", and the form 4 was incorrectly filled out and shows "THE xxxx trust", while the back of the form shows "xxxx gun trust". Yeah, neither of names match the actual trust name. In addition to this, somehow my dealer put my old adress on it and not the adress on my trust. Good news (maybe), the form was approved with no corrections. Do I need to do anything? From what I've read, since the names don't match exactly my trust doesn't own this particular can.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:34:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think the minor name errors on an approved NFA form effects ownership at all.

To cover my ass I would send a letter to ATF pointing out the errors and noting the new/correct address.

Your dealer sucks. Three stupid mistakes on one form, geez.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:38:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry I was unclear, neither of the names correctly match my trust. *edited the op*

And yes, that was the first, and last, time I used that dealer
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:41:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw that and edited. Same results I think. Best to CYA with a letter notifying them of the errors I think. The situation wouldn't prevent me from taking possession as trustee though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:45:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe this analogy helps with the name issue.

The full and proper name of a guy might be "Robert Jones Smith, Sr." But Bob J Smith is the same guy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:45:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe this analogy helps with the name issue.

The full and proper name of a guy might be "Robert Jones Smith, Sr." But Bob J Smith is the same guy.
View Quote

I don't know if a trust works in the way of your analogy.  Maybe in coversation or loosely like a forum reference but documentation I would imagine it needs to be exact. It would be interesting to know if you can create your trust with one name then formally refrence (on NFA Forms) the trust with whatever name you wanted.  I would doubt it unless it slipped by which is the case in this thread.  I would defiantly submit a letter to the ATF to see what needs to be done to correct the mistake.  Keep a copy of the letter with your approved Form 4 noting the discrepancies to cover your 6 until you hear back from the ATF.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#6]
You and I must be using the same dealer...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top