Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2017 1:25:39 PM EDT
I have two Sakers which were approved on April 4.  Had not heard anything from the SOT so I gave him a call today and he said he indeed has them but something is wrong.   He said that both are approved and signed but there is no stamp affixed and no image of a stamp as would be on a e-file form 1....  of course he doesnt want to release the cans to me because he says they are not really approved without that stamp.  

WTF?

Anyone had this happen to them?

If so what what are the steps to get corrected?  I had to have efile form 1s corrected for the watermark thing but that was just done by emailing Ted clutter.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have two Sakers which were approved on April 4.  Had not heard anything from the SOT so I gave him a call today and he said he indeed has them but something is wrong.   He said that both are approved and signed but there is no stamp affixed and no image of a stamp as would be on a e-file form 1....  of course he doesnt want to release the cans to me because he says they are not really approved without that stamp.  

WTF?

Anyone had this happen to them?

If so what what are the steps to get corrected?  I had to have efile form 1s corrected for the watermark thing but that was just done by emailing Ted clutter.

Thanks
View Quote

I'd get a photo of each form in hand and call the ATF
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd get a photo of each form in hand and call the ATF
View Quote
I am supposed to meet the SOT at his Store in an hour so that I can get photos of these forms.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#3]
my last form 1 came through marked draft one quick phone call and they had it corrected in 48 hours
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why is the dealer not  Bird dogging this with the ATF?

That is part of what he is getting paid for.
View Quote
Yeah, I would have expected the dealer to call ATF once they arrived, then call the buyer soon after to let him know what is going on.

But, for some reason, NFA seems overcome by dealers that don't even call when everything is right, let alone wrong, so who knows.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#7]
That dealer sounds like an asshole to me. He should release your can to you because it IS approved, and he should have already called the ATF and told them the deal so he could return the form for it to receive a cancelled stamp or for them to provide the form 4 that has the stamp.

My bet is the ATF accidentally retained the copy with the stamp and mailed the one without the stamp.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh man.....
So I go to the storefront of the SOT and he has my 2 cans out with a set of paperwork for each one and tells me how they are both missing stamp but are signed and approved but he cannot release them to me because of the the missing stamp. Points to the upper right hand corner and tells me the stamp is supposed to go there.  Tells me I would have to call the ATF on Monday morning to see how this can be fixed.    

I look down at the two forms and dont even believe what I am seeing...is this for real? Cant be serious? I am relieved and shocked at the same time.   Its the two damn form 3s which transferred the cans from Silencer Co into his store

It takes me three tries to convince him that those are not form 4s.

I kept my cool, he apologized, etc...

I am relieved that there was not a screw up by the ATF, but worried about this dealer. My trust in him is pretty low at this point. Last June when he filled out the form 4s he screwed up the transferor and transferee. He thought he was the tranferee and I the transferor.  I had to redo them and  type them up myself  and bring them back to him for his signature. That took convincing also....

I will be so glad to get these two cans out of there.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#9]
You need a new dealer. Get your cans out of jail and find a new dealer.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You need a new dealer. Get your cans out of jail and find a new dealer.
View Quote
Already done.  After the mix up of the transforor/transeree that I had to correct I bought another can and had that transferred to a different dealer.  I already have that one in hand.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sounds like he doesn't have a clue...at all. Especially seeing as how your name isn't (or at least shouldn't be) anywhere on the forms he showed you.
View Quote
I think that is what finally convinced him.
Also, the date on the form 3 should have told him something.

Doesnt the ATF require some sort of practical knowledge demonstration of the requirements and procedures in order for someone to get their SOT?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have done all the work. All he has done is sign the form 4 and store the cans.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:07:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Doesnt the ATF require some sort of practical knowledge demonstration of the requirements and procedures in order for someone to get their SOT?
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

send in the money and a month or so later and you have your SOT. 
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
"We're sorry sir, we cannot authorize your SOT, you spelled your name wrong twice and made the payment check out to yourself, with "ATF" in the signature spot."
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah it happened to me once on a SBR. It happens, forms are processed by humans and humans make mistakes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I am seeing this appears to be true.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah, I would have expected the dealer to call ATF once they arrived, then call the buyer soon after to let him know what is going on.

But, for some reason, NFA seems overcome by dealers that don't even call when everything is right, let alone wrong, so who knows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this!!  I have no idea why it's so god damn hard for SOTs to call people when their NFA shit comes in.  before I had good friends with FFL/SOTs I've been fucked over that way before, stamps sitting at dealers for a few weeks and so on.  

the SOT should be calling the ATF and dealing with this not the buyer, it's THEIR job since they have the SOT.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

this!!  I have no idea why it's so god damn hard for SOTs to call people when their NFA shit comes in.  before I had good friends with FFL/SOTs I've been fucked over that way before, stamps sitting at dealers for a few weeks and so on.  

the SOT should be calling the ATF and dealing with this not the buyer, it's THEIR job since they have the SOT.
View Quote
This dealer I am dealing with in this thread sat on the form 3s for almost three weeks and did not bother to call.  I had to call the vendor I bought them from and asked what happened and he said "the form 3 were approved and cans shipped weeks ago"  When I called the SOT I am dealing with in this thread he says "well I didn't know who to call so I just stuff the cans and form away till someone come in"   I go to his shop and see my name and number were right on the packing slip....  

I AM STARTING TO THINK THIS GUY IS BLIND
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:01:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This dealer I am dealing with in this thread sat on the form 3s for almost three weeks and did not bother to call.  I had to call the vendor I bought them from and asked what happened and he said "the form 3 were approved and cans shipped weeks ago"  When I called the SOT I am dealing with in this thread he says "well I didn't know who to call so I just stuff the cans and form away till someone come in"   I go to his shop and see my name and number were right on the packing slip....  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

he's just lazy and knows you can't do anything about it.  can you use a different SOT near you?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

he's just lazy and knows you can't do anything about it.  can you use a different SOT near you?
View Quote
I have used two others since  this purchase.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I have had this happen to me.

Maybe two years back or so.   It was for an  23EK beltfed SBR F1 application got sent back to me with no stamp affixed.  (Individual Paper Application)

I called the NFA branch and they transferred me over the the examiner.  After a bit of back and forth with phone tag I finally spoke to the actual examiner who approved the application, they were a bit embarrassed, and they told me to send it back in with a cover letter explaining the issue.  

My memory is a bit fuzzy but I believe I addressed the envelope directly to them or their attention, etc. vs. just blindly sending off to the main Martinsburg address.

The NFA branch affixed the stamp and returned it to me pretty quickly.  I think it was less than a couple weeks door to door.

I just made a copy of the "stampless" form for my binder and went on my merry way.   The gun was already in 12" SBR form anyway as it had a HK sear installed.  

Come to think of it I guess I technically still have not "made" the SBR as I have not removed that sear from that host since its inception.... although I did engrave my john hancock on the barrel.

Ultimately OP it is pretty straight forward to resolve in my experience but your dealer sounds like a bit of an idiot (so all bets may be off regarding what your experience will be like)
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Stamps still have not shown up.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ultimately OP it is pretty straight forward to resolve in my experience but your dealer sounds like a bit of an idiot (so all bets may be off regarding what your experience will be like)
View Quote
He is struggling with the paperwork and procedures, that is for sure.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Hows this issue coming along?

Hope you got it squared away
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hows this issue coming along?

Hope you got it squared away
View Quote
Sorry I forgot to update this thread. I posted in the Group Therapy thread and forgot about this one.

Yes, I got them on 5-1-17.

On 4-29 (Saturday) I called the dealer and asked if the stamps were in and he said "nope" So I told him that Monday (5-1) I was calling the ATF and getting them involved.  Lo and behold....Monday morning a girl calls me up saying she works at his shop and the stamps are in.  I go there and dealer is "training" the girl on the process. Tells her "these stamps can never leave the side of the suppressor, they must always be with the suppressor wherever it is at and he will have to present the stamps if anyone asks" and a bunch of other nonsense I zoned out. It took him forever to "do the paperwork" He was  running around making copies, writing shit down....  Other two dealers I have worked with didn't do any of that. If they did they did it before I got there.

The fact that the envelopes from the ATF were not with the stamps makes me wonder if they had been in the shop for some time and he didn't want me to see the dated postmark. No way to know doesn't matter anymore.

Glad to be done with this guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top