Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2017 2:29:10 PM EDT
Can i file a form 5 to send my hk sear off to be put in a 4 position pack while waiting for the form 4 from my dealer?
Id rather do this if i can so i dont have to wait for the 4, then do 5s and wait for it to get done.
Im not sure the form 5 is really required but some smiths want it anyway?

Ive googled it and the first thing is a atf pdf saying i dont need it, i just dont understand what the discrepancy is.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#1]
1 - can't request actions on an item that has not been assigned to you yet. (just like you can't work a Form-3 to your dealer and a Form-4 to you at the same time.

2 - I've seen SOTs ask for a copy of your Form-4 when you send in an item for work. The Form-5 might be overkill and a waste of time for a simple modification.  Your best bet is to ask the person/company that will be doing the work on your sear.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:58:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I appreciate your response..... but id have to disagree with you. Ive Know of  more than 1 person/dealer who has submitted a form 4 before the form 3 has shown up.....id almost say its a common practice.

Ive been so tempted to set up my own burst pack.. everyone make it out like it needs a pro to do it but......... i fully understand the deal.

The whole form 5 things is rediculous its not required for what I'm doing but the atf suggest you do it.. it is the most contradictory, retarded opinion I've read, but its up to the Smith not me.

Im a total tard.., yet i think i could do it myself. I dont mind paying....its just the paperwork and additional wait time.
Ive yet to see a youtube diy hack yet....fortunately i am a leader not a follower so ill do it myself.

I just wanted to hear from someone whose done it recently either themselves or sent out.... the atf opinion im reading is from 2005...so who knows.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I appreciate your response..... but id have to disagree with you. Ive Know of  more than 1 person/dealer who has submitted a form 4 before the form 3 has shown up.....id almost say its a common practice.
View Quote
Common practice? Probably. Correct? No.

This trick only works due to the difference in processing times of the forms. Amish_Bill is correct that you cannot submit forms for an item that is not yours per ATF. If your transfer is not complete, you are not supposed to submit forms for that item.

You would not submit a 5320.20 for a gun that was pending.

IIRC There have been cases where a form 4 is kicked back because the form 3 had not cleared yet (rare, but I have heard somewhere of that happening).
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Can i file a form 5 to send my hk sear off to be put in a 4 position pack while waiting for the form 4 from my dealer?
View Quote

Why not just have the dealer send it off. Otherwise you are going to be waiting twice to get your sear back. I would do it without the F5, it just adds to the wait.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
1 - can't request actions on an item that has not been assigned to you yet. (just like you can't work a Form-3 to your dealer and a Form-4 to you at the same time.
View Quote
Most of us do it all the time now. I have even submitted the F3/F4 in same envelope.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:49:22 PM EDT
[#6]
It is my plan to have my dealer send it off...i am trying to avoid having to wait longer.

It just arrived at my instate dealer and if form 5 is required by my gun smith...i want to have the dealer form 5  it to the gunsmith. My thinking was the form 4 will take 9 months which is plenty of time to do 2 form 5s without it affecting the form 4. Im going to call my smith and dealer..it just arived instate the other day.

So ill get the details from each party and go from there.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#7]
If it is at your dealer waiting for the form 4, why not form 3 it for the burst pack upgrade with your sear?  Then when your form 4 comes back, it is complete and ready to shoot.  That's of course assuming you need a formal paperwork transfer to work on the burst pack.

If you have waited 7~9 months already, I would ask your gunsmith if a form 5 is required.  I may be missing something but, it seems like you may be making this overly difficult for yourself.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 2:01:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If it is at your dealer waiting for the form 4, why not form 3 it for the burst pack upgrade with your sear?  Then when your form 4 comes back, it is complete and ready to shoot.  That's of course assuming you need a formal paperwork transfer to work on the burst pack.

If you have waited 7~9 months already, I would ask your gunsmith if a form 5 is required.  I may be missing something but, it seems like you may be making this overly difficult for yourself.
View Quote
F3 is not the proper form for that transaction, F5 is.

F5 is not required for a temporary transfer to perform work on an item, but ATF suggests it, and some gunsmiths require it. Don't like it, deal, beg, whine, plead, threaten, or find another gunsmith.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:03:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Im all set guys, no form required.
My burst pack should be in tommarrow and my dealer will send it off with my sear to the smith for me.
I grabbed a 4 position housing and a 0,1 ambi pack aswell for the hk91 that came with the SEF..
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:07:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
The issue was it took 6 month to get my form 3 to my dealer and while that should never happen i had no interest in form 3ing it again....but as i said in my last post im all set...
The reason i wasnt sure is it had been years since i researched it, and things change in the NFA world.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top