Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2017 4:18:15 PM EDT
Being from CT I have a friend in Mass that is under the impression that I can bring a MG into Mass to a shoot via ATF form 5320. I don't believe ATF will allow temporary transfer to a shoot.

Any insite...
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That would be a bad idea.
MG's are not legal in the STATE of MA.  You can't even buy a AR-15. You can drive thru the state traveling.  I wouldn't stop or stay overnight unless it was a emergency.
View Quote
Not exactly true. Machine guns are legal in MA.

MA requires a separate machine gun license. For residents it's an application through your CLEO. If non residents can get one, it's done through the State Police.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That would be a bad idea.
MG's are not legal in the STATE of MA.  You can't even buy a AR-15. You can drive thru the state traveling.  I wouldn't stop or stay overnight unless it was a emergency.
View Quote
MGs are legal in Massachusetts if you have a "green card" which is a type of LTC. There are quite a few legal MGs in MA. I don't believe non-residents can obtain a non-resident green card, though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Being from CT I have a friend in Mass that is under the impression that I can bring a MG into Mass to a shoot via ATF form 5320. I don't believe ATF will allow temporary transfer to a shoot.

Any insite...
View Quote

Sooooo, back to my question...
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Play with fire

report back 

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sooooo, back to my question...
View Quote
Your question was answered. You need a MA machine gun license to possess a MG in MA.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Your question was answered. You need a MA machine gun license to possess a MG in MA.
View Quote
And from my very basic research into this in the past, I believe you need to either have a police certification or be a "recognized collector", i.e. have a C&R FFL.  And thats all for the resident MG licence.  There is a non-resident "licence to carry" you can apply for, but I don't think there is a non-resident MG licence. 

Remember, the 5320.20 form is a federal form that keeps you in line with the federal requirement to seek approval to cross state lines.  Even if you have that, you still need to abide by all the laws and requirements of the destination state.  You may be better served asking for specifics in the MA hometown forum, or maybe contacting the MA state police for guidance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top