Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2017 2:52:34 PM EDT
I have a question for those who use an Assignment of Property in their Trusts as opposed to a Schedule A.

Do you have the Assignment of Property notarized each time you receive a new tax stamp and add a new NFA item to the list?  

My trust does not have a schedule A so each time a new stamp comes back I add it to the Assignment of Property section then re-submit with the new line item when purchasing a new NFA item.  The Assignment of Property was only notarized when I started the trust but there are now, obviously, additional items which have been added.  Is this considered kosher?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#1]
No one ever sees my Schedule A or Assignment (except my lawyer).  There is no requirement to submit and "real" Schedule/Assignment with each application; all of my submissions have included a blank Schedule/Assignment.

I update my real Schedule/Assignment via my lawyer in batches (several items at a time) when it's convenient; it gets notarized at that time.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a trust but the assignment of property page on mine is not signed nor notarized. It actually uses a miscellaneous property page for the ATFs purposes that simply shows $10. I also have never sent in the assignment of property page with any of my Form 1's.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Your assignment sheet is likely NOT part of your trust so you do not ever send it or need to show it to anyone. It's only for your internal records for helping Trustees/Beneficiary manage the trust.

Print a new blank sheet and add the item and have it notarized. Multiple items can be added at one time but do not add anything after the notary has stamped it. Create a new sheet next time.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#4]
The way my Assignment of Property form works is that it's used to assign non-NFA items. The ATF assigns NFA items to the trust via a Form 1 or Form 4. In my experience, this is the whole point of the Assignment of Property form, and why I prefer trusts worded to use one rather than a Schedule A.

The Schedule A doesn't have the magical power to validate or invalidate a Form 1, 4, etc. making or transfer. The two are unrelated and should be - hence the Assignment of Property.

Your trust may vary.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Does an assignment sheet even have to be submitted at all for a form 4 application?  Or can you just submit a blank one?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:11:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does an assignment sheet even have to be submitted at all for a form 4 application?  Or can you just submit a blank one?
View Quote

It depends on how the trust is written. Generally speaking though, no. I've never done anything with mine.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I submit my Schedule of Assets with my applications. Both my trusts are only for NFA items. ATF knows what I have, I really don't care if they know.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:20:48 AM EDT
[#8]
My trust which was drawn up by an NFA lawyer (dunno if he's a sponsor) but anyways I have an assignment form. Not a schedule. Pretty much a form that says you are putting xxxxxx into the trust.

Hasn't failed me yet for 2 sbrs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:32:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The way my Assignment of Property form works is that it's used to assign non-NFA items. The ATF assigns NFA items to the trust via a Form 1 or Form 4. In my experience, this is the whole point of the Assignment of Property form, and why I prefer trusts worded to use one rather than a Schedule A.

The Schedule A doesn't have the magical power to validate or invalidate a Form 1, 4, etc. making or transfer. The two are unrelated and should be - hence the Assignment of Property.

Your trust may vary.
View Quote

Yep, the assignment of property is for anything in your trust that lacks paperwork that shows it is owned by the trust.  Title or a govt. form that shows the trust as owner is all you need to prove ownership.  However, the Schedules, A if sole, A,B and C if joint are there to manage the disposition of property in the trust when the grantor dies.

ATF wanted to see both if referenced by the Trust because they considered it to be part of the trust and they wanted to see the entire trust.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top