Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2017 3:13:38 PM EDT
Has anyone else had this problem?

The guy was kinda a dick about it at first. I had to ask "so you will not take my money and just finger print me" His reply was "no".
LOL

After returning with my 5320.1 & 5320.23 minus the Passport Photos they took my money $5.00 per print and took my prints. The guy admitted that I was the 3rd person who has ever came in wanting to get a blue form finger prints for a Form 1, and I was the first to do so with a trust. After talking to the guy for a while he was a nice guy just didn't understand what I was asking at first.

I contacted my best friend who is the investigator at a local PD. He told me that he would finger print me next time but did say that their PD has rules on who they will fill out a blue finger print form for.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#1]
There's no need to have the PD do your prints. Some are good about it and some are complete dicks about it. I find it best to cut them out of the process entirely.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been turned down by the two closest Dept. so far. May have to figure out how to do it myself.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a very bad experience trying to get my prints made and my wife getting hers done.   I went by our counties sheriffs department 3 times and gave up and did mine myself.  First trip I had my kids with me and the officer ask me "what are you going to do with your kids" smart ass like. So, I ask can they not go back with me to do the prints; they said no the prints are done in the jail.  Ok thats understandable so now I know as I thought the prints would be done in the record keeping department no big deal.  I go back after work about a week later just me without my kids. The sign at the entrance says "Fingerprinting Monday thru Thursday 9:30am-4pm" so I stop by on Tuesday around 2pm and the officer said we don't do prints Tuesday.  Huhh, ok so when do you do them?  They said we do them on Thursdays. Ok, so I go back Thursday and they were booking prisoners so no printing that day.  That was it I ended up doing mine myself but my wife has crooked pinkies so after about 10 tries we give up on hers.  This is why she ended up going to the sheriffs office.  She went on her lunch break from work and was instructed to sit outside which was 30 degree weather and waited for about 30 minutes in the cold because they didn't want anyone waiting in the office. The print machine was down in the jail where prisoner booking is done so she had to sit outside between the office and the gate for the jail.  She ask the officer to come back inside until they were ready to get her and the officer told her to be patient someone was coming and go back outside.  They were very brash and rude to her.  I didn't know she had to do that until I talked to her that night.  VERY bad experience and they charged $8 per card (had to get 6 cards so 6 x $8 = $48) and they were very inquisitive about the whole thing (what are these for, why do you need them, what is a form 1).  She said the chief officer ask her what was a NFA Trust (noted reason on the print cards was NFA Transfer) and she had to explain it to him and he told her "that sounds stupid why would you need something like that."  I don't think he even knew what a form 1 was and she said one of the other officers explainted to him the ATF rules recently changed and that was how it had to be done now with the prints.  I have to give my wife props on going through that mess.

The next closest place to us was about 1 hour 45 minutes away that would do prints on the blue cards and it was $15 each card.  Another local place did prints but only digital submissions.  If we need anymore done we will just drive the 1 hour and 45 minutes next time.  My trust is set up with her as co-trustee so a lot of changes would have to be amended to remove her so we didn't and man I didn't realize the hassle the new forms were.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I can understand why some places charge a minimal fee but the agency I work for does them for free during normal business hours.  The part about no children in the jail I can understand for printed out digital prints but our ink print stand is portable for when we print juveniles for that very reason. If it was a sheriff's department complain to the sheriff. That is one of the benefits  of them being elected.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Never had any problems with my local PD, free of charge.  No appointment needed, walk in, get it done.  They have multiple civilian employees trained, so there's always someone there to do it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:32:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Same here, went to the sheriff's department twice last year for prints and got them free with no hassle.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:13:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow! I guess I'm amazed at how fortunate I am to have such a great guy for sheriff.

We have a pretty low population for the size of the county, ~58,000 in about 3000 sq. miles, so the dept has an annex outside my town where the county jail is along with a walk in office.

I walked in with a Form 1 and as soon as the gal behind the glass saw I had papers in hand asked if I was buying a silencer.    Local shops must be doing a booming business in sales.  

Told her I was building a sbr but the process was pretty much the same.  She came out, fired up the inkless fingerprint machine in the lobby and took my prints and $15.  Easy peasy no hassle.

And getting my application for my ccp was just as easy.  She took our money, I was disappointed it was the maximum amount allowed to be charged by the state, and gave my son-in-law and I a clipboard each with the application on them.  We filled them out right there in the lobby.

When we gave them back to her she came out into the lobby and took our fingerprints and had a small digital camera to take the two passport pics needed.  Then told us they would mail our permits to us when they came in. It was literally a one stop do it all right there affair that took only a few minutes.  Suddenly I didn't mind spending the extra bucks for lack of hassle.

We have a very progun sheriff who was in on the lawsuit opposing the mag capacity ban and universal background check bs a few years ago.

It's really too bad so many of you guys have a public servant that forgets who he works for and what he should be standing for.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow! I guess I'm amazed at how fortunate I am to have such a great guy for sheriff.

We have a pretty low population for the size of the county, ~58,000 in about 3000 sq. miles, so the dept has an annex outside my town where the county jail is along with a walk in office.

I walked in with a Form 1 and as soon as the gal behind the glass saw I had papers in hand asked if I was buying a silencer.    Local shops must be doing a booming business in sales.  

Told her I was building a sbr but the process was pretty much the same.  She came out, fired up the inkless fingerprint machine in the lobby and took my prints and $15.  Easy peasy no hassle.

And getting my application for my ccp was just as easy.  She took our money, I was disappointed it was the maximum amount allowed to be charged by the state, and gave my son-in-law and I a clipboard each with the application on them.  We filled them out right there in the lobby.

When we gave them back to her she came out into the lobby and took our fingerprints and had a small digital camera to take the two passport pics needed.  Then told us they would mail our permits to us when they came in. It was literally a one stop do it all right there affair that took only a few minutes.  Suddenly I didn't mind spending the extra bucks for lack of hassle.

We have a very progun sheriff who was in on the lawsuit opposing the mag capacity ban and universal background check bs a few years ago.

It's really too bad so many of you guys have a public servant that forgets who he works for and what he should be standing for.
View Quote

Yeah I was thinking that it would be the same for me. Our Co population is 22,000, Jail is in the county seat where I work and where I am a member of the Fire dept.  Our Sheriff was my Jr league Football coach for 2 years and his son went and graduated school with me. He is also a fellow Mason. I called his cell to see if I could get around the BS but with no answer. Not that I am anybody special but the guy doing the prints just didn't know me and I think that was why he made me jump thru the hoops.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#9]
A lot of FFL/SOT's are doing it for customers since fingerprints are required for everyone on a trust.  There's nothing that says a law-enforcement agency has to do it, only the ORI data on the card has to be correct.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#10]
So it is ok to have anybody do it? ATF website says law enforcement has to do it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Explosives have a different requirement, which may be where you saw that.

The requirement for everything else simply says they must be "properly equipped" to take them.
View Quote

Great thanks BigWaylon. Going to call around some gun shops see if they will give me a place to get them done.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So it is ok to have anybody do it? ATF website says law enforcement has to do it.
View Quote

I have always done my own (I have something like 15 stamps, currently, and have had others which I've subsequently sold), as well as for hundreds of others when I worked at an FFL. I've always used a simple black ink pad I bought at Staples for a few dollars. I've only had one set sent back because tone or two of the prints were slightly smudged.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#14]
My department used to do them for free, and with no hassle.

Now we have a new AFIS machine and program that does not allow us to enter any reason for fingerprinting other than employment on blue cards, so now we don't do them period.

Now I can't even get printed at my own place of employment
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 1:19:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow, that sucks. We moved away from roll printing to using the AFIS in the Jail control room (due to some cards being rejected). We currently charge $10 for a set of 2 cards. I think we're going to purchase a fingerprint scanner and software to go back to doing it upstairs, and increase the fee to $10 per card to cover the cost of the equipment (which is about $4,500). The good thing about the AFIS is that if I know someone's been printed before, usually an employee, I can look up their ATN number and just print cards without them even being there.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#17]
It's too easy to do your own.

Not worth the hassle of dealing with LE in most cases.

My brother is a cop back in PA so I use to have him do them when I lived there.
Now that im in GA I just roll my own.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 4:20:18 AM EDT
[#18]
DIY people. Good grief, the cards are free and an ink pad costs what, $2? Then mail your form Cleo copy to the head of the state Police. They probably don't want it, and some even mail it back with a note that, if you opened it, says take it to your sheriff. Shred it instead. Rule requires that you notify, and you did. End of story. And responsible parties? lol, yeah right. Only suckers have those. Fill out the forms for just yourself, get approved, add anyone you want later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top