Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2016 6:13:24 PM EDT
I had read in a thread in one of the NFA related forums (and I can't find it now) that if you have registered weapons and move INTRAstate, then you do not need to notify the BATFE. However, on my tax stamps (all of them were approved this year) it clearly states that you must notify the BATFE of any change of address.

So what is the deal with this? Was there a change to the law/rules? If you move intrastate then you must notify the BATFE of the new address where the weapons are located? Is there a form for this? Do you have to file a separate form for each tax stamp, or can you list multiple stamps/weapons on one form?
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#1]
INTRAstate moves, there is no requirement to notify the ATF.  They would like you to do so to keep the registry up-to-date (hence the wording you noted on the form), but there is no law requiring you to do so.

INTERstate moves, either temporary or permanent require ATF notification, which is handled using Form 5320.20.

IF you felt so inclined to notify the ATF of an INTRAstate move, you can use the same form 5320.20, and it can be used for multiple items on one form.  But again, for INTRAstate, there is no legal requirement to do so.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
INTRAstate moves, there is no requirement to notify the ATF.  They would like you to do so to keep the registry up-to-date (hence the wording you noted on the form), but there is no law requiring you to do so.
View Quote

Correct. While the form says "shall" the consequences of not doing so are that the ATF will be very cross with you, might not let you have dessert, and will kindly ask you to sit in the corner for a time out.

Short version: there are no penalties by law or regulation for not doing so.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Correct. While the form says "shall" the consequences of not doing so are that the ATF will be very cross with you, might not let you have dessert, and will kindly ask you to sit in the corner for a time out.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All true.  Except when I sent my yearly 5320.20 for traveling out of state after an intrastate move, it was denied "due to the incorrect return address compared to Form 1&4."  I didn't feel like getting into urinating contest with them, so I submitted for a permanent relocation to my new address. My yearly 5320.20 was approved right after.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

All true.  Except when I sent my yearly 5320.20 for traveling out of state after an intrastate move, it was denied "due to the incorrect return address compared to Form 1&4."  I didn't feel like getting into urinating contest with them, so I submitted for a permanent relocation to my new address. My yearly 5320.20 was approved right after.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. I have never had that problem and I just got all my papers back a few weeks ago. None of my items have the original address on the Form 1 or 4 that I manufactured/acquired them at.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#5]
This happened about two years ago.  The first time everything went the same as yours, but the second time it became an issue.  The problem, IMHO, is the consistent inconsistency of the ATF.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:18:43 PM EDT
[#6]
How does Military installations factor in to this?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I have not seen any exceptions to the above guidance concerning military installations or military personnel.

Quoted:
How does Military installations factor in to this?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#8]
2 things

1) I did not know you didn't need to notify the BATFE if you moved INTRAstate
2) I also never really looked hard into it either because I just assumed you would have to notify them and it would be a pain to change your address with them

I could've had NFA all along! Been apartment living for a lot of years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top