Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2016 3:45:28 PM EDT
Is their a site that operates like Silencer Shop that sells factory new NFA firearms?

I may be missing something here but that seams like their is no one doing this.

I know that are thousands of people like me that do not have the Shop, Space, Time, Expertise or Knowledge to build SBS and SBRs  of various types and styles.

It would be nice to just pull up a webstore similar to SS and buy a SBR or SBS and have them take care of the paper work hassle and tax stamp and just send the gun to my local FFL when it comes time to pick it up.

I maybe totally missing something here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not necessarily ones that do the paperwork just like SS, but plenty of places sell them. I know Capitol Armory often has some listed. I'll bet Jake @ QRF (in Georgia) can get whatever you're looking for.

I will say it doesn't take much know-how to do an AR SBR. You can buy complete lowers and uppers, and simply need to operate the pivot and takedown pins, plus get it engraved.

Same goes for some SBSs...barrel swaps are less than a minute.
View Quote

That is very true. The whole paper work thing is a bit over whelming to me. Just seams like their would be a place for a service like this as long as the prices where reasonable.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#3]
And when I was thinking of SBRs and SBS I was thinking of the not so easy to convert guns. Stuff that required skill and a machine shop.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#4]
The problems, as I see them:

It's not until recently that building a silencer on a form 1 was a cost-effective option for most people. The greatest demand for suppressors has been for mass produced ones from the major manufacturers (AAC, GemTech, Surefire, YHM, etc). The same can't necessarily be said for SBR's and SBS'; which, for the most popular models, can be easily built by replacing a barrel (AR's and 870's are just that easy). if the bulk of SBR's or SBS' are being made on Form 1's, there isn't much of a market for such a service; especially not enough to make it financially viable.

As for DD's, there aren't many licensed DD manufacturers or importers. Other FFL's can legally only do a 'limited' number of DD transfers without getting a DD manufacturer's or importer's FFL. (What constitutes that limited number is, as far as I know, unknown, because I don't believe BATFE has ever actually stated a hard number. Of course, the majority of SOT's who lack DD licenses would be gun shy about handling a DD transfer, as it it's completely foreign ground for most of them, and foreign ground scares a lot of FFL's. So, if there aren't but a relatively small number of licensees who can and will do DD transfers, there's not really a financially viable market for such a service.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The problems, as I see them:

It's not until recently that building a silencer on a form 1 was a cost-effective option for most people. The greatest demand for suppressors has been for mass produced ones from the major manufacturers (AAC, GemTech, Surefire, YHM, etc). The same can't necessarily be said for SBR's and SBS'; which, for the most popular models, can be easily built by replacing a barrel (AR's and 870's are just that easy). if the bulk of SBR's or SBS' are being made on Form 1's, there isn't much of a market for such a service; especially not enough to make it financially viable.

As for DD's, there aren't many licensed DD manufacturers or importers. Other FFL's can legally only do a 'limited' number of DD transfers without getting a DD manufacturer's or importer's FFL. (What constitutes that limited number is, as far as I know, unknown, because I don't believe BATFE has ever actually stated a hard number. Of course, the majority of SOT's who lack DD licenses would be gun shy about handling a DD transfer, as it it's completely foreign ground for most of them, and foreign ground scares a lot of FFL's. So, if there aren't but a relatively small number of licensees who can and will do DD transfers, there's not really a financially viable market for such a service.
View Quote

sound reasoning
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I see a price gap:
Cheapest factory SBRs is know of are colts sold by Arms Unlimited for maybe a BCM with a DD for probably a few hundred more

With NFA becoming more and more mainstream, people are attracted to $140 PSA lowers and $300 PSA uppers. Add the BCG and sights of your choice and you're rocking and rolling for 2/3 the price.

Enough places sell factory NFA items, you just have to look

I believe Rainier and DSG arms should also be on the list with Quiet Riot, and Capitol Armory

I will admit, the allure of a factory F4 SBR exists for me.
I haven't checked the "colt rollmark" off my list of lowers so maybe that's the perfect storm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top