Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2016 12:14:15 PM EDT
I read the FAQ that says we can roll our own fingerprints but the ATF says it must be done by the police.

Here's the link to ATF.

https://www.atf.gov/explosives/qa/how-do-i-get-my-fingerprints-taken

Fingerprints must be submitted on Fingerprint Identification Cards, FD–258 that have been issued by ATF. The fingerprint cards must contain the following ORI information: WVATF0900; ATF–NATL EXPL LIC, MARTINSBURG WV. These fingerprint cards may be obtained by contacting the Federal Explosives Licensing Center at 877-283-3352 or the ATF Distribution Center at 703-870-7526 or 703-870-7528. The fingerprint cards must be completed by your local law enforcement authority.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Call the sheriff's office.  Mine charged $4 per set of two.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#3]
my local PD has a time set aside just to do fingerprinting, and its free for a resident.

I would contact your local PD.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Silencershop kiosk FTW!
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Local PD did mine for free. I was told over the phone someone has to sign off on the fingerprints. Several people I've seen say that's not the case and they do their own but I don't know why you would chance it when you can get them done free, I honestly don't understand the shortcuts some people on here take.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Local PD did mine for free.... I honestly don't understand the shortcuts some people on here take.
View Quote

My local PD stopped doing them.  So I started doing my own.  Its really not hard and so far I've had 4 approvals using my own prints.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My local PD stopped doing them.  So I started doing my own.  Its really not hard and so far I've had 4 approvals using my own prints.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Local PD did mine for free.... I honestly don't understand the shortcuts some people on here take.

What would I need to roll my own? I'd still need the fingerprint cards from ATF right?
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you have to send in two original finger print cards or the original and a copy?
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#10]
no copy, both have to be originals.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 5:26:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Local range does CHL classes on weekends. Photo and prints, out the door in less than thirty minutes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I guess this is why not even calling the ATF is any help, cause when I got mine the other day I called to check and they said something about the person signing off is the one taking responsibility for the prints being mine
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 2:29:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Nothing says you can't be responsible for taking your own fingerprints. I just look mine up in AFIS from my original employment background check and print them x2 on ATF ORI cards.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 3:50:34 AM EDT
[#14]
i've seen where some people have done it themselves...
-n- scribbled some  rank and name from some department
-n- sent em in...
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 6:19:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Call the sheriff's office.  Mine charged $4 per set of two.
View Quote

My sheriffs office doesn't do them.  My police department does it for $25 each.  But only during certain hours and if they aren't booking someone.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 6:24:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Free cards from ATF and a quality ink pad (Sirchie brand is highly recommended). A card holder can help, but not required.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What would I need to roll my own? I'd still need the fingerprint cards from ATF right?

Free cards from ATF and a quality ink pad (Sirchie brand is highly recommended). A card holder can help, but not required.

That's what I use.  Free cards from ATF, Sirchie ink pad from eBay and a card holder from Amazon.  You can do it without the card holder but I think its worth getting.  Here is the card holder
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That's for explosives. Different ORI.

The regulation for NFA simply says the person must be properly equipped to take the prints.
View Quote

If only more people actually paid attention to what they read.

I've been doing my own for more than a decade, with no problems, whatsoever. I will continue to do so, with no expectation of having problems.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#18]
UPS can do standard and electronic prints  for me locally.  I use to just drop by R&D in my prison and they would do them for me but retirement precludes that. LOL

Greg
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Does the beneficiary  have to do fingerprints also?
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
no copy, both have to be originals.
View Quote

So no digital printouts?
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Does the beneficiary  have to do fingerprints also?
View Quote

Depends if they are a "responsible person", and that depends on how your trust is worded.  Usually they are not, but I can't speak for every trust document in existence.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I do digital prints.  One scan and print 20 cards.  All the info is pre-populated and filled out.  Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I do digital prints.  One scan and print 20 cards.  All the info is pre-populated and filled out.  Easy peasy.
View Quote

How do you do that? On the ATF cards?
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#25]
If you obtained a suitable PDF of your prints, you could just print them from home on the free card stock whenever you need to.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Does anyone know if the Sirchie "stainless" ink is ok to use on the fingerprint cards?  I ordered a pad off of Amazon, not knowing it was this type.  They say the fingerprints show up in the color gray instead of black.

It's the type of ink that doesn't stain your hands, supposedly.  Looks clear on the fingers.

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Silencer Shop Kiosks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Go to work.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ATF card is the standard FBI-249 card.   Just put the ATF info for the ORI and you're GTG.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top