Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been asked for the paperwork on my AOW'd Mossberg many times.  They have ignored my suppressors and SBRs a few times, just targeting the AOW.  
Other than that,  I've been asked twice by county deputies for the paperwork for the other stuff,  I pull out a huge stack of laminated copies of everything and they handed it right back without actually looking.  I offered to let both officers shoot a suppressed pistol,  both declined,  though one wanted me to fire a few rounds myself to see how loud it was.  

Now I need to find a new range with some distance after moving back to MI,  public or private.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't been asked yet in 30 years.

I do keep copies with me.

Depending on the situation, I might make an issue out of someone wanting to see my "tax documents". But, I'm not going to get in trouble just because the person asking doesn't know what they are doing.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I never shoot at public ranges, it's either at my house or my friend's place so no, never been asked.

I wouldn't have an issue showing my papers if asked though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I was at a shoot near KC, MO.  The neighbors were complaining about the noise and had been whiny little bitches in the past.  They called the sheriff's dept, who then came out to investigate.    We informed them that everything was legal and had the paperwork to prove it.  They wanted to see the paperwork but said regardless if we were legal or not, we had to stop.    

One of my good friends started shoving multiple papers in their hands, asking if that was sufficient.  The deputy said it was, so my friend replied with "Of course it is, you don't know what the fuck you're looking at in the first place." and then walked off and resumed ripping off rounds with the mp5.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#5]
A new indoor range opened up in the city with a 25 yard rifle range so I thought I'd go check it out because shooting rifle is a long drive for me.

I took my MPX and can.

Lady behind the counter who took my money was friendly and this place had a range officer.

He gives me the run down on how to use the range and when he sees my can, he asks to see my papers.

I tell him no and he says I have to show him it is the law. Yep, he said it is the law.

Told him I'd show him on my phone but I'll never be back for harassing gun owners.

He couldn't see anything on my phone, I shot and won't be back.

It's a shame because it was close to home and would be great for taking my ARs for quick range trips for CQ practice. It's mostly all I do anyway, once I'm zeroed in at 100 yards I always spend more time shooting close up because that's what I would need to do for home defense.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was at a shoot near KC, MO.  The neighbors were complaining about the noise and had been whiny little bitches in the past.  They called the sheriff's dept, who then came out to investigate.    We informed them that everything was legal and had the paperwork to prove it.  They wanted to see the paperwork but said regardless if we were legal or not, we had to stop.    

One of my good friends started shoving multiple papers in their hands, asking if that was sufficient.  The deputy said it was, so my friend replied with "Of course it is, you don't know what the fuck you're looking at in the first place." and then walked off and resumed ripping off rounds with the mp5.  
View Quote

Your friend needs to switch to decaf........
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He just happened to say out loud what everyone typically thinks to themselves when asked to show their papers to anyone other than the ATF.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A new indoor range opened up in the city with a 25 yard rifle range so I thought I'd go check it out because shooting rifle is a long drive for me.

I took my MPX and can.

<a href="http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/Johnharden810/media/AB40AD6F-AA54-4C98-AA80-78C72D8CA17D.png_zpspocwe134.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q613/Johnharden810/AB40AD6F-AA54-4C98-AA80-78C72D8CA17D.png_zpspocwe134.jpeg</a>
View Quote

That's a lot of sexy right there!!!

Can you give me the break down on what parts used, how it started - pistol to SBR, suppressor mounting, etc
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Was shooting in a public place with others shooting NFA.

Deputy asked if I was an assassin?

Was shooting my Beretta 21a with a can on it.

Tillamook county Sheriff's dept. can be silly sometimes.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Nah no one really cares.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#12]
been asked if i had them, but never been asked to actually show them. basically just a CYA move by the range. that particular range rents out NFA, though, so theyve seen the forms and know the drill
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have been asked to show papers by Blue Ridge Arsenal and Silver Eagle Group in NOVA.  Also Colonial shooting in Richmond (both at front desk and by the RSO.)

I don't appreciate it but these are private rangws and it's their rules.  

The only one that really rubs me the wrong way (on this and other issues, what gun store doesn't allow carry?) was Colonial.  Being checked twice is overkill.  I even had an RSO at Colonial insist my SP89 clone (in non-nfa configuration) was an AOW and thus needed a stamp.

View Quote

If I remember correctly one of the NOVA ranges you listed is a heavy democrat donor.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I still haven't seen a specific ruling by ATF on whether stricly electronic copies of NFA paperwork constitutes as valid in the event you need to show.
That said, I carry both with me as well as all my travel paperwork and complete print of my trust.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not yet. I keep my paperwork in my phone

That is a damn good idea!

I still haven't seen a specific ruling by ATF on whether stricly electronic copies of NFA paperwork constitutes as valid in the event you need to show.
That said, I carry both with me as well as all my travel paperwork and complete print of my trust.

Can't be that big of a deal considering that Efile forms are approved as PDF's.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 3:22:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Interesting. It seems that range officers are more concerned with this stuff than police officers. The reason that I asked is because I was told by a small time manufacturer recently that an ATF inspector let slip to him that they aren't really concerned with SBRs and SBSs, they really are looking for illegal machine guns.

Not that I am advocating or would ever myself build an illegal weapon, I just wondered if it seemed true based on other people's experiences.

I'm sure that if they want to bust someone for something, then they'll take whatever they can get. Say, a Klan member or militia general that they want and he has an SBS, I'm sure they'll take him on that if they can get him locked up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#16]
It was required at a range that I went to once.  I was traveling and met with a buddy that I hadn't seen in awhile, so we wanted to go shooting.  I handed the guy a copy of the two stamps that I had with me.  His eyes immediately swam.  It was apparent that he had no clue what he was talking about.

Then I asked if I could see a copy of his last year's tax return, since it's just proof of a tax paid.  He didn't think it was funny.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 3:22:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I mostly shoot at a federal range.  Never been asked there, nor anywhere else.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 4:57:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I understand the "my range, my rules" thing. I'm a huge property rights guy and have no issue with that. What I don't understand is the logic of it. Invariably, the people asking to see the forms have NO IDEA what they are looking at. But let's imagine a world where the do: How does looking at said forms decrease their risk? ANY gun at their range could be illegally possessed (stolen, felon with a gun, defaced serial numbers, whatever)...and they don't ask to see any government papers or proof of legality on those. Safe to say that non-NFA guns are the vast majority of guns they see at the average range...so it's like they are super worried about the legality of 0.1% of the guns that come on site, while not really giving a damn about the legality of the other 99.9%. Is it just an example of "feels" or is there a real reason?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I understand the "my range, my rules" thing. I'm a huge property rights guy and have no issue with that. What I don't understand is the logic of it. Invariably, the people asking to see the forms have NO IDEA what they are looking at. But let's imagine a world where the do: How does looking at said forms decrease their risk? ANY gun at their range could be illegally possessed (stolen, felon with a gun, defaced serial numbers, whatever)...and they don't ask to see any government papers or proof of legality on those. Safe to say that non-NFA guns are the vast majority of guns they see at the average range...so it's like they are super worried about the legality of 0.1% of the guns that come on site, while not really giving a damn about the legality of the other 99.9%. Is it just an example of "feels" or is there a real reason?
View Quote

I have thought about filling out a fake form.  Go with the whole ghost gun speach, 30 caliber magainzine with the thingy that comes down, and see if anyone who asked even know what they were looking at.  I have almost 20 stamps now, so if.when anyone asks they get the stack o stamps.  

MAHA
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have been asked to show papers by Blue Ridge Arsenal and Silver Eagle Group in NOVA.  Also Colonial shooting in Richmond (both at front desk and by the RSO.)

The only one that really rubs me the wrong way (on this and other issues, what gun store doesn't allow carry?) was Colonial.  Being checked twice is overkill.  I even had an RSO at Colonial insist my SP89 clone (in non-nfa configuration) was an AOW and thus needed a stamp.

View Quote

I recently took my SBR to Silver Eagle Group.  Right after the RSO told me which lane I was in, I mentioned I had brought an SBR and asked "Do you need to see the paperwork?"  He laughed and said no.  So, it seems that their concern about NFA items may vary according to who is working that day.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Interesting. It seems that range officers are more concerned with this stuff than police officers. The reason that I asked is because I was told by a small time manufacturer recently that an ATF inspector let slip to him that they aren't really concerned with SBRs and SBSs, they really are looking for illegal machine guns.

Not that I am advocating or would ever myself build an illegal weapon, I just wondered if it seemed true based on other people's experiences.

I'm sure that if they want to bust someone for something, then they'll take whatever they can get. Say, a Klan member or militia general that they want and he has an SBS, I'm sure they'll take him on that if they can get him locked up.
View Quote

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1869992_Arkansas___Man_gets_30_month_sentence_for_possession_of_unregistered_SBR.html&page=1
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1869992_Arkansas___Man_gets_30_month_sentence_for_possession_of_unregistered_SBR.html&page=1

When was the last time we saw a free standing NFA charge. This guy got the NFA charge that stemmed from allegedly brandishing during road rage. It's worth noting he was not convicted of brandishing to my knowledge
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have thought about filling out a fake form.  Go with the whole ghost gun speach, 30 caliber magainzine with the thingy that comes down, and see if anyone who asked even know what they were looking at.  I have almost 20 stamps now, so if.when anyone asks they get the stack o stamps.  

MAHA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MAHA

Then stamp it with a unicorn ink stamp! That would be hilarious!
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

When was the last time we saw a free standing NFA charge. This guy got the NFA charge that stemmed from allegedly brandishing during road rage. It's worth noting he was not convicted of brandishing to my knowledge
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess that is a good point. They don't seem to be actively pursuing people or doing stings on SBR's or SBS's unless it comes up.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If I remember correctly one of the NOVA ranges you listed is a heavy democrat donor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't say Deb or  Earl at BRA are 'heavy donors', but they sure are leftist liberals for the most part.
Deb had said many times in the past that if she had her way, they wouldn't be open to the public at all.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I wouldn't say Deb or  Earl at BRA are 'heavy donors', but they sure are leftist liberals for the most part.
Deb had said many times in the past that if she had her way, they wouldn't be open to the public at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure he was referring to the donations that were made by Silver Eagle Group when they first stood up. Rumor had it that it was all part of the permitting process. Originally, they were pretty unfriendly to the average gun owner, but after their elitist business model didn't work out, they ended up catering to the great unwashed masses. They don't give me any grief about shooting my M11, M16, any of the cans, sbs, etc. There was one guy who told me I couldn't but I grabbed the manager and got him on the right path. I find them the most convenient place to shoot full auto. Also, Old Ox Brewery is on the next street over which makes for a good way to finish any day of shooting.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Pretty sure he was referring to the donations that were made by Silver Eagle Group when they first stood up. Rumor had it that it was all part of the permitting process. Originally, they were pretty unfriendly to the average gun owner, but after their elitist business model didn't work out, they ended up catering to the great unwashed masses. They don't give me any grief about shooting my M11, M16, any of the cans, sbs, etc. There was one guy who told me I couldn't but I grabbed the manager and got him on the right path. I find them the most convenient place to shoot full auto. Also, Old Ox Brewery is on the next street over which makes for a good way to finish any day of shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ Yup, I found it, they are still actively donating to Dems:

2015-2016 Donations

ETA - Here is more:

http://www.campaignmoney.com/political/contributions/dario-marquez.asp?cycle=14
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 12:48:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I took my MPX and can.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q613/Johnharden810/AB40AD6F-AA54-4C98-AA80-78C72D8CA17D.png_zpspocwe134.jpeg

Lady behind the counter who took my money was friendly and this place had a range officer.

He gives me the run down on how to use the range and when he sees my can, he asks to see my papers.

I tell him no and he says I have to show him it is the law. Yep, he said it is the law.

Told him I'd show him on my phone but I'll never be back for harassing gun owners.

He couldn't see anything on my phone, I shot and won't be back.

It's a shame because it was close to home and would be great for taking my ARs for quick range trips for CQ practice. It's mostly all I do anyway, once I'm zeroed in at 100 yards I always spend more time shooting close up because that's what I would need to do for home defense.
View Quote

That's a badass gun.

How quiet is it suppressed?
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Back in 2008, I went shooting in a quarry that was well-known in the area I used to live. There was a guy shooting with his son, they had a full auto M11. We stopped shooting and started talking for a bit and then two deputies rolled up, claiming that they received a call from someone who heard machine gun fire. Even though the guy had his stamp, the deputies refused to believe that a citizen could own such a firearm. He tried to explain the NFA to them, I tried to explain it to them, but they wouldn't have any of that. They asked if I was related to them, I told them I had just met them while shooting. They told me to leave or go to jail for trespassing. I was like especially since we were on BLM land. Unfortunately, I was forced to leave, so I don't know what the outcome was.....I've always wondered. That incident taught me that having your stamps isn't a 100% guarantee that you won't run into legal issues in some locations.
View Quote

I'm in AZ... What sheriff's dept was this?

This is the only thing that worries me is the overzelous deputy or know it all. Sounds like maricopa sheriff's.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 4:09:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Never been asked, and few people seem to take any notice of me shooting with my suppressors.

Which is pretty much the main reason I got them in the first place.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Nope, at least not yet.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top