Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2016 7:47:08 PM EDT
Probably been asked before, but search came up empty.

Does anyone know who exactly qualifies to perform the finger printing process..?

I have always used LE, but it is down to only one dept left locally that will do them.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#2]
What do you put in the field for that bit of information..?

I almost hope it isnt true, now im gonna go broke, the finger print cards is what has held me from submitting paperwork so many times...
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I've submitted my own roll-your-own before, entering my own information.  If the prints are clear, it doesn't matter if the employer is a private company/agent, or LE agency, or self-employed rolling their own.  At least in my experience.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:03:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep your can roll your own.  I was in the same boat as you, the fingerprints were the biggest pain to the whole process.  Then I found out you can do your own.  Just put your name as the official.  I've never been denied for my prints and believe me they are nowhere near as nice as when the LEO did them for me.  Just grab an ink pad from staples, oh and pick up a few extra fongerprint cards.....you will mess up on a few
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:56:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Man, mixed emotions.. the reason I started thinking about it is because I saw a whole stack of fbi finger print cards at work, and one of the E-7's said "hell yeah, I can finger print you any time you need"
To add to that, the other half of our building is the local PD, and the Chief of police has pretty much an open door policy when it comes to signing NFA stuff, as long as he is in the office he'll sign it right there and then...

Thanks for all the info guys.

ETA, and stby for my inevitable "arfcom curse" thread..
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:38:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a Sirchie ink pad and card holder at eBay, about $10 for both.

The ink is much easier to clean off your fingers and does a great job.

Don't put too much ink on and don't use too much pressure.

I practiced on a couple of old cards and some paper, I talked to an agent at ATF and told her I can do my own since the ones I had done at LE were so bad, she said fine.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:26:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a Sirchie ink pad and card holder at eBay, about $10 for both.

The ink is much easier to clean off your fingers and does a great job.

Don't put too much ink on and don't use too much pressure.

I practiced on a couple of old cards and some paper, I talked to an agent at ATF and told her I can do my own since the ones I had done at LE were so bad, she said fine.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa219/faldoc/Misc/Sirchiepad_zpsd54cb9b6.jpg
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa219/faldoc/Misc/MyfingerprintsJan2015_zps94f1777d.jpg
View Quote

That is awesome..! Thanks
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I do the same as faldoc.  I bought the same pad on eBay and the holder on Amazon.  No problems so far.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Where do you get the cards?
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:10:35 AM EDT
[#11]
What does the FBI do with the fingerprint cards once they have run them through the background checks? Do they keep them? Do they destroy them? Are they required by law to do either?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:44:30 AM EDT
[#12]
the ink pads are on ebay for 6 bucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151963145696

card holder 6 bucks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130654347015

not my auction.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I accidentally used the criminal arrest cards instead of the ID cards one time for a guy I know. Apparently it wasn't an issue.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Ive done my own for the past 15 NFA purchases. My FFL is also a reserve LEO so he has an ink pad in the store and I do all my own. Gotten pretty good. :) Key is to actually slightly roll your finger across the card like a you are sticking a stamp vs just pressing your finger straight down. Comes out much cleaner and more legible. Ive only ever had to resubmit finger prints once and I just sent another set and got my approval the next week so not sure why that set wasn't aceepted . I typically do 3-4 sets at time and put them away till I need them.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Yep, I've done six (6) sets of cards myself; no problem, never had any rejected.  

As mentioned, be sure to use real fingerprint ink, not regular stamp pad ink from Staples or other office supply store -- that ink is too thin, it floods the "grooves" of your fingerprint, and smudges too easily.

To help you out in filling in the rest of the info at the top of the FD-258 form, below is a link to FBI guidelines:

You'll see that some of the blocks can be left blank (not mandatory).
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#16]
What are you guys putting for the reason fingerprinted?

ETA: Pretty sure on my last one (2007) I just left it blank

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What are you guys putting for the reason fingerprinted?
View Quote
NFA Transfer

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Are you listing yourself as the person doing the fingerprints as well?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Are you listing yourself as the person doing the fingerprints as well?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#20]
What employer address? Yours or leave blank?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

What employer address? Yours or leave blank?
View Quote
It's not required to be filled in.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I have always just filled them out as

Resident of Person being Fingerprinted

742 Evergreen Terrance
Springfield, NA 01234

Employer and Address

"Self"
742 Evergreen Terrance
Springfield, NA 01234

Signature of Official Taking Fingerprints

Homer J. Simpson

Reason Fingerprinted

NFA Transfer or NFA Application (for a F1)

Probably have sent in 30 sets of cards like this over the past decade without an issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top