Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2015 3:58:28 PM EDT
I'm moving from FL to MI.
I will own homes in both states but will be working and spending most of my time in MI. So, I want to bring all my NFA items to MI. It's not many - 3 suppressors, 40mm and 2 SBR.
I'm driving with a U Haul rented vehicle across FL GA TN KY IN (maybe OH) to MI.

What forms do I have to fill out and how long does it take to get them back?

Anything else I need to know traveling by ground through those states?

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Fill This Out

ATF Interstate Transport

Multiple guys here have had luck using both addresses and using a one year time frame.  You might want to file one for the permanent move, and another to enable you to go back and forth.

Time is about a month from what I've heard.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#2]
You can also fax the form in.  For my last permanent move from WI to PA I faxed the form in and had the signed copy back to me by mail in 5 days.  Copies are good enough, you don't have to  have the signed original to be valid.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#3]
So, all I have to do is fill out ATF Form 5320.20 and fax it in...that's it?

There are only 3 spaces for 3 firearms. So, do I fill out 2 forms if I have 6 NFA items?
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep. One form per state, 3 firearms per form.

Unless you want to print it out, and draw a line to split each block (making 6 rows) and fill it in by hand. I have forms approved with 8 firearms on a single form.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, all I have to do is fill out ATF Form 5320.20 and fax it in...that's it?

There are only 3 spaces for 3 firearms. So, do I fill out 2 forms if I have 6 NFA items?

Yep. One form per state, 3 firearms per form.

Unless you want to print it out, and draw a line to split each block (making 6 rows) and fill it in by hand. I have forms approved with 8 firearms on a single form.

I have to fill out a form for every state Im passing through?
Or just my final destination state
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:24:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Destination. The Safe Passage section of FOPA should handle the rest. The suggestion is to drive straight through...no sightseeing, no overnights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Destination. The Safe Passage section of FOPA should handle the rest. The suggestion is to drive straight through...no sightseeing, no overnights.

I'm not stopping. It took 19 hours in my pick up. I assume it will take about 24 with a trailer. I may pull over to take a 2 hour nap at a rest stop if I get tired.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, had no issues keep in mind it's about a 3 week turn around for those forms get them in early.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#9]
in box 5, i make sure i list every single state i will be driving thru.  that way i have a piece of paper, better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:35:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This, had no issues keep in mind it's about a 3 week turn around for those forms get them in early.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roger!  I'm closing on the house in Jan and need to wait for that before I give an address.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:35:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
in box 5, i make sure i list every single state i will be driving thru.  that way i have a piece of paper, better safe than sorry.
View Quote

Not a bad idea
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top