Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2015 8:20:00 AM EDT
I know everyone calls them crap (which they kind of are but I have never had a problem and its fun which is all I care about) but I have this C15 that I never use anymore cause I have a new ar and its not worth a ton so I am just going to keep it and turn it into an AR pistol if I can.

I read before "once a rife always a rifle" so does this mean I need a sbr stamp or can I just throw a fixed buffer tube on it? Any other info you have please chime in.

I am just looking for variety since I don't really use it now. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#1]
here's some info

Not sure about the stamp but I think it would work since it be an sbr instead

as for a pistol, last I knew a rifle stays a rifle but a pistol can be swapped back and forth.

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#2]
If the gun was registered as a rifle it must stay a rifle.  I have never heard of anyone being questioned or in trouble for changing to pistol configuration. I assume it to be a situation that is a goofy rule some agent printed out  that nobody actually enforces but I would not recommend doing anything that is possibly illegal. Do you know for a fact how the gun is registered?
You can pick up a new lower for under 50$ and then be sure it is legal.

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Ya so unless I built it from stripped lower or bought it as a lower only it looks like a no go maybe. When I bought it wayyyyy back it was a complete rifle so that means its original for registered would be as a complete.

Looks like if I just buy a stripped lower and build it to a pistol it is ok though? Doesn't make sense but oh well.

If anyone knows for sure let me know.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a rifle, it can never legally be a pistol.  You can SBR it via a Form 1 though.

Even had you built it from a lower, it's a rifle.  Rifles can't become pistols unless they were pistols or rifle/pistol kits first.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok that seems to be what I have been reading. Just to be safe I am just going to make that the final answer

Its not worth much more than 6-700 if that, that's the only reason I was asking cause the sbr option isn't worth the $200 extra
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Hold on to it until the next upswing in firearms sales, a.k.a. panic buying.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:37:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Good call
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top