Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2015 12:23:34 AM EDT
Besides the M16 (receiver, rLL, rDIAS) what other item is the most versatile?

Perhaps I'm not wording it right.  By versatile I mean one can use multiple uppers with the M16.  Anything even get close?

Edit:  Yes, I'm thinking about getting some new.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:28:27 AM EDT
[#1]
upper
Quoted:
Besides the M16 (receiver, rLL, rDIAS) what other item is the most versatile?

Perhaps I'm not wording it right.  By versatile I mean one can use multiple uppers with the M16.  Anything even get close?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:31:46 AM EDT
[#2]
HK sear. Usable with multiple hosts in .22lr, 9mm, 5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62x51. Pretty sure some hosts exist in .40 and .45 too (prob missing a few calibers).
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HK sear. Usable with multiple hosts in .22lr, 9mm, 5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62x51. Pretty sure some hosts exist in .40 and .45 too (prob missing a few calibers).
View Quote

Excellent.  Thanks.  Too bad that option is so pricy!   Got to pay to play.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#4]
M10/M11.  Being the most numerous type of machinegun there are many caliber options and accessories, including the now-rare SABRE 5.56 uppers.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:56:15 PM EDT
[#5]
its only money... i would eat jelly and peanut butter for a couple years if i had to to get something cool NFA.

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#6]
DIAS & HK sear are two most versatile.

Lots of calibers, belt-fed options, etc. Endless supply of parts.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Stoner 63

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget, with a DIAS or HK sear you can use short barrels without another stamp.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't forget, with a DIAS or HK sear you can use short barrels without another stamp.
View Quote

That's def an advantage for a HK sear is to have host pistols that don't have to be SBRd.  Put in the trigger pack with sear, add stock and vert grip.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#10]
HK sears, M-11/9's,and Sten tubes (make a sten / sterling / lanchester / etc)
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm leaning towards a m11 just based on cost.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Mac 9/10/11 - It has some fun options and great if youre on a budget, prob around $4-5k

M16 - Its modern, modular, available in multiple calibers including pistol and rifle calibers and RLL and non-colt RR can be had for around $15k. Given its the standard rifle for the US military and the popularity of the AR15 its very easy to transition to the M16 without needing new parts, tools, ammo, training, etc...

HK - This is the king of versatility, unlike the M16 which just swaps out uppers but at the end of the day is still a M16 just with a different diameter barrel. The HK sear can be used in completely different rifles, be it a MP5, HK21/23, G36, G41, HK 33, G3, etc... The draw back is the price at $25-30k for the sear and some of the base semi-auto host rifles can run in excess of $10k, costing more than some transferable machine guns. You could buy 2x M16 or 6x Mac for the price of 1x MP5 with HK sear.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#13]
My vote would go to the HK sear.

Everything from 22LR to 308 belt fed with dozens of different host options/calibers in between.  

The silver medal would go to the M16.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm leaning towards a m11 just based on cost.
View Quote

They are excellent starter guns. Many people complain about the cost of MGs yet they probably have a half dozen AR15s w/ optics, rails, accessories and lights that add up into the thousands of dollars. Sell your least favorite AR15 and toss in a little cash and youve got a Mac.

Before you buy a MG, find a local gun range that rents them and spend a afternoon trying a few out. A lot of MGs look awesome but really are not that fun to shoot. Also ask yourself why you want it. Some people want a MG just to say they have one and chew through some ammo at the range, in which case the cheapest MG will suffice, other people have a specific use or firearm in mind.

Keep in mind what you WANT to buy. I personally always wanted a M16 so i knew buying a Ruger AC556, Mac or Sten to save money wouldn't be worth it, i didnt want a random MG i wanted a M16. Yes it cost way more but there hasnt been a single day ive looked at it and regretted my decision or wished i bought something else. I understand you cant always afford what you want, i would also like to have a Mini Gun, a Tank, a corvette and a house on the beach, none of which will ever happen unless i win the lottery or get divorced But if what you really want is only a few grand more and another 6 months of saving and working some OT will get it then i would say save and wait for it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I currently have several machine guns including a RR (oly) that I shoot the most.  

I really enjoy the caliber versatility of the Oly M16 / RR.   However, it's all the same configuration.   Of course I knew that when I bought it.  Just looking for something new.   It's always nice to look.  

I shoot the guns I own, and I enjoy the fact they are appreciating in value.   Just from reading a lot of guys look down on the "investment" angle of machine guns.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion and how they want to lead their lives.   I think having a blast shooting them and having an appreciable commodity is win-win.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Get a Shrike upper.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Hail Mary:
Get a Shrike upper.
View Quote

Nice.  Just looked it up.  I've got to watch some videos!
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd love an HK sear. That's where my vote would go. Of course I do not have money for an HK sear, so I started with my first machinegun as an m11/9. The 11/9 is more versitile than the Mac10, so remember that if you are looking at a Mac. Currently run a Max-11, Max-31, dedicated 22 side cocker and fixing to have a .380 conversion done on a upper just because. I think the last decade has seen great advances for the Mac family, and due to their comparative price coupled with their availability you will see more development for this platform. I love mine, but do realize that all of the uppers and such are basically polishing a turd.

My second MG I also looked hard at versatility (after price of course) and decided the best bang for my buck would be a BRP U9 built on a virgin stemple tube.
This probably should have been my first MG. I am extremely happy with it and can convert it into several different configurations and a few more calibers.

So now I'm looking at getting a third MG, and am trying to talk myself out of a burgess made SW76, which is again in my price range.

Between my first 2 machineguns, the various kits and uppers I have bought for these things definitely puts my expenses in m16 territory. I tell you though, I have no regrets.

Versatility on a budget, I have to recommend a m11/9 and a BRP gun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I would have said 762 QD suppressor
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would have said 762 QD suppressor
View Quote

That is what I did!
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#22]
22 short pen gun.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I think versatility is overrated in MGs

Most of these guns are built for a single purpose, there's no real provision for Barbie-dolling them.

Nobody cares.  You never hear a MG42 or Thompson or UZI owner complaining because he cannot change it around into 15 different guns.

I think the most important consideration if you're going to shoot the gun is the availability of spare parts and magazines.

A 22 kit that actually works and is not an evil jammy POS is a nice bonus if it can be arranged.   Personally I'll never buy another motherfocking 22 kit ever again but go for it.

For pure unadulterated usefulness, bad-ass-ness  and versatility there is nothing on the face of the earth that can touch an M16.

to answer the OPs question, the MACs I guess are most versatile because of the modular construction

but it's a distant second to the M16

I don't know how many HK hosts you're going to want to buy, seems kind of limited by cost
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#24]
HK hosts made in Germany are pretty expensive, but contract manufacturer or clones are reasonable.

You can go wild with the clone thing, that's fine for variety.

I tend to use a couple of the variants frequently, some hardly at all. A beltfed no matter if on an HK, M16 or stand alone is kinda hard to feed, so they're not used often in my range trips.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top