Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2015 11:47:30 PM EDT
I'd like to try out an AOW shotgun. All the factory AOWs I see are Mossberg 500s but I'd really prefer an 870.

I know I could make one but I'd much rather buy one on a $5 stamp. I don't want one bad enough to pay $200 to build my own.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:58:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:05:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mossberg cranks out a ton of factory pistol-gripped-only shotguns and AOWs.

OTOH, the Remington 870's factory AOWs are very rare, and priced accordingly. The few I've seen are priced in the $800-$1k range.

If you find a source for cheap Remington 870 AOWs, please IM me.
View Quote

Sounds like Remington needs to get their shit together.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OTOH, the Remington 870's factory AOWs are very rare, and priced accordingly. The few I've seen are priced in the $800-$1k range.

OP have you shot a AOW "shotgun type weapon"?

Just get a SBS, trust me.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one. They're not worth it. Not fun, not practical, not pleasant to shoot, not useful for much.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I have shot an AOW as well as 18" pistol gripped shotguns.

I've got two combat style shotguns with 18" barrels, one 1970s Wingmaster Police with 4 shot tube and factory wood and a tricked out Wingmaster police with side saddle, 7 shot tube, Knoxx SpecOps and Surefire forend. I haven't shot either one in several years. I just don't have much interest in the shotgun as a shoulder fired fighting gun any more.

I want a 12-13" barreled AOW with a Knoxx breacher grip. I guess I'll just bite he bullet and get a Mossberg if I have to but I'd really prefer an 870.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I've got two combat style shotguns with 18" barrels, one 1970s Wingmaster Police with 4 shot tube and factory wood and a tricked out Wingmaster police with side saddle, 7 shot tube, Knoxx SpecOps and Surefire forend. I haven't shot either one in several years. I just don't have much interest in the shotgun as a shoulder fired fighting gun any more.

I want a 12-13" barreled AOW with a Knoxx breacher grip. I guess I'll just bite he bullet and get a Mossberg if I have to but I'd really prefer an 870.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok, I was just making sure.

People told me not to get my 590a1 AOW for $499 NIB, I did not listen. I just do not like it.

I bought it shot it a few times and bought a 590a1 SBS for $250 police trade in. Love it.  

I just bought another 18" 590a1 used with a lot of add ons for $240.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#7]
This thread is funny. Only now do I see folks talking about AOW's are not cool and how they aren't very fun to shoot. I should've  known but it was only after I bought mine (Mossberg590a1 14") that people started to say "those suck to shoot", they were right they do suck to shoot, which is why I named mine "the Bitch"
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Remington released the MCS kit to the civilian market, and it is advertised as a SBS ($200 tax), but it can be configured from the kit as an AWO, and there is also an underbarrel adapter to attach it to an AR, which obviousle requires removal of the stock.

Can any registered SBS be converted to an AOW and back without running afoul of the NFA law?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:15:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Remington released the MCS kit to the civilian market, and it is advertised as a SBS ($200 tax), but it can be configured from the kit as an AWO, and there is also an underbarrel adapter to attach it to an AR, which obviousle requires removal of the stock.

Can any registered SBS be converted to an AOW and back without running afoul of the NFA law?
View Quote

As I understand it, if you have a SBS stamp ($200) you can configure your shotgun anyway you want.

But if you have a AOW stamp ($5) you must never put a shoulder stock on it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:31:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:21:45 AM EDT
[#11]
SBS > AOW all day and twice on Sunday
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:23:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have one. They're not worth it. Not fun, not practical, not pleasant to shoot, not useful for much.
View Quote

But they do piss liberals off, and a lot of people in our government don't want me to own one.

That in it's self makes owning a legal SBS worth it to me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#13]
SBS>AOW, but I enjoy mine!

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, no. You aren't actually converting an SBS>AOW>SBS..........it's an SBS the entire time. An SBS can be configured as a pistol grip only or a shoulder stocked short bbl shotgun..

The NFA has definitions of what constitutes an SBR/SBS/AOW/DD/MG.
An AOW firearm that expels a shotgun shell cannot have a shoulder stock. (that would make it an SBS)

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Safety Harbor and Serbu both offer 870 based AOWs. I bought a used Safety Harbor on this forum for 550 shipped if I remember right. Deals are out there but not super common. Local shop has a old factory 870 AOW that looks like a witness protection  gun but I haven't looked real closely at it and don't know those guns well.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a factory Remington AOW 870 MCS breacher in addition to an SOT built 14" Mossberg 500.  I have them as in Indiana until July 1st (bill was just passed and signed) SBS's are illegal.

I got the Remington from Capitol Armory.  To all that say they suck, mine are lots of fun for what they are.  Wicked fun for a $5 stamp.  Now that I can (in a couple months) build an SBS, I will be.  I've got at least one 870 that's getting shortened as well as a Vepr 12.  The AOW's will stay what they are.

ETA - I put the Shockwave "witness protection" grip on as it came with a Knoxx pistol grip.  The Shockwave is much nicer to shoot and also looks WAY better!  I also stuck a Shockwave on my Mossberg.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a factory Remington AOW 870 MCS breacher in addition to an SOT built 14" Mossberg 500.  I have them as in Indiana until July 1st (bill was just passed and signed) SBS's are illegal.

<a href="http://s483.photobucket.com/user/compuvette/media/2258d561cb203323ad4256006e72e80b_zps421xhd5j.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/compuvette/2258d561cb203323ad4256006e72e80b_zps421xhd5j.jpg</a>

I got the Remington from Capitol Armory.  To all that say they suck, mine are lots of fun for what they are.  Wicked fun for a $5 stamp.  Now that I can (in a couple months) build an SBS, I will be.  I've got at least one 870 that's getting shortened as well as a Vepr 12.  The AOW's will stay what they are.

ETA - I put the Shockwave "witness protection" grip on as it came with a Knoxx pistol grip.  The Shockwave is much nicer to shoot and also looks WAY better!  I also stuck a Shockwave on my Mossberg.
View Quote

I have the same as above, but with the Speedfeed birdshead grip.  I love it.  It is fun to shoot and puts a smile like nothing else not full auto.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#19]
i like my Serbu Super Short on a REM870 receiver.  the Hogue Tamer is the best grip, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
i like my Serbu Super Short on a REM870 receiver.  the Hogue Tamer is the best grip, IMO.
View Quote

Have you shot one of the straight back grips like the speedfeed? Mine has the hard plastic factory choate and I dont even want to shoot it without swapping it out
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm thinking about SBSing my 870.

Where can you find good 12" or 14" aftermarket barrels?  I know factory SBS barrels are very rare in the civilian market.

What barrel length will be flush with the factory 5-shot 870 mag tube?
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about SBSing my 870.

Where can you find good 12" or 14" aftermarket barrels?  I know factory SBS barrels are very rare in the civilian market.

What barrel length will be flush with the factory 5-shot 870 mag tube?
View Quote

14" Remington barrels are pretty common, just check around. Rem makes a 12" MCS barrel, but you'll never find one separate from the MCS.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Have you shot one of the straight back grips like the speedfeed? Mine has the hard plastic factory choate and I dont even want to shoot it without swapping it out
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, i have not shot the speedfeed or anything like it.  i shot turkey magnums once out of the stock grip.... once and never again.  with the Hogue, its like a billion times better.  people also like other grips, but i can't remember what those are at the moment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top